PDA

View Full Version : Mack gets 2 Million Raise

Blues1
12/9/2009, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure why I'm posting this....?
But maybe somebody can get a Loan from Mack ~~~ :)
LINK --

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12639189/texas-coach-brown-gets-raise-to-5-million-annually

yermom
12/9/2009, 05:26 PM
wow. that is a lot of cash

sadly, he's earned it in the 2nd half of the decade :(

NorCaligator
12/9/2009, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to teach my kids that whining doesn't get you anything, and now this happens. Sheesh.

instigator
12/9/2009, 05:44 PM
Why?? Not that he isn't worth the money to them and they don't have it, but he wasn't going anywhere. Now other coaches are going to want that as a standard now. In the next few years, Stoops, Carroll and Meyer will all be making this. When is it going to stop?

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2009, 05:48 PM
This might cause Muschamp to ponder how long he is going to have to wait for Mack to retire/die.

Dan Thompson
12/9/2009, 05:50 PM
Bob must have saved OU quite a bit of money, ie, no raises for bowl wins.

cvsooner
12/9/2009, 05:51 PM
Maybe it's a one-time bonus before Muschamp takes over? I mean, seriously, maybe Mack is thinking of retiring if he wins a championship.

VA Sooner
12/9/2009, 05:55 PM
I'd rather he not save the university and win bowl games...

I'll give more to the alumni fund.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2009, 05:57 PM
If you read the article, he already had a one time bonus coming and this made it annual. Maybe it is just a gesture knowing they won't have to pay it for long, but it sure reads like an incentive to stay around as HC.

yermom
12/9/2009, 05:58 PM
Why?? Not that he isn't worth the money to them and they don't have it, but he wasn't going anywhere. Now other coaches are going to want that as a standard now. In the next few years, Stoops, Carroll and Meyer will all be making this. When is it going to stop?

maybe they are trying to break the other schools? :D

it does seem like a million more than anyone else is making, and i don't see him going anywhere. maybe he was hinting at taking the ND job or something

badger
12/9/2009, 06:26 PM
Texas has the money for football - it's what their billions of alumni all donate toward. Might as well pay him part of what their alumni stupidly pour into the program.

(then again, at least ut fans get something for all their donations in football - a&m is stuck in suckitude despite their big budget, heh)

goingoneight
12/9/2009, 06:40 PM
This coaching thing is interesting.

I know people get all pissed off about how much football coaches make, but think about celebrities in general. Bob does a hell of a lot more work doing a hell of a lot better for his community and young people than a guy who signs a contract to go get knocked around playing QB in Detroit. Bob earns his share a helluva lot better than all these punk, thuggish rap stars who never have to do anything other than act retarded and recite even more retarded poetry to annoying "beats."

What's interesting is with the money that will soon become available at top programs... the parity we've seen due to scholarship limitations will disappear because everyone will have more money in being an assistant and/or HC at a top program.

Example: T Boone will dish out $$$ for a bunch of would-be empty seats in his stadium, but can he fight with the big dogs to pay and more importantly keep an elite coaching staff? We'll never see 200-man Switzer teams again, but we (elite programs) can lure the best of the best away from the Boise States and TCUs eventually. Although even if you're only making 1 million a year coaching football at a "lesser" program... you got a better gig than the rest of the population.

SoonerLB
12/9/2009, 07:04 PM
a helluva lot better than all these punk, thuggish rap stars who never have to do anything other than act retarded and recite even more retarded poetry to annoying "beats."

I agree, hard to complain about anyone making money when rappers get it delivered to them in wheel barrows and brinks trucks. Retarded rhymes catagorized as music still baffles me. Kinda like National Championships without playoffs! ;)

btk108
12/9/2009, 07:08 PM
I may puke

JLEW1818
12/9/2009, 08:28 PM
well stoops had a great first half and a decent 2nd half

maybe its time for Stoops to take over again?

85sooners
12/9/2009, 08:28 PM
mack can suck it!!

mightysooner
12/9/2009, 08:37 PM
I'm glad Mack got a huge raise. Because it came on the cusp of Tejas getting blown out in the NC game by Bama. Will be comical forum fodder!

cvsooner
12/9/2009, 08:44 PM
If you read the article, he already had a one time bonus coming and this made it annual. Maybe it is just a gesture knowing they won't have to pay it for long, but it sure reads like an incentive to stay around as HC.

If that's the case, Muschamp might not stick around as hc-in-waiting, either.

Funny...I keep reading how Mack is 58. He's sure an old-looking 58 to me.

1890MilesToNorman
12/9/2009, 08:49 PM
He can buy a lot of extra seconds wiff $2 mil. or maybe has has already. \?

ashley
12/9/2009, 08:53 PM

I know people get all pissed off about how much football coaches make, but think about celebrities in general. Bob does a hell of a lot more work doing a hell of a lot better for his community and young people than a guy who signs a contract to go get knocked around playing QB in Detroit. Bob earns his share a helluva lot better than all these punk, thuggish rap stars who never have to do anything other than act retarded and recite even more retarded poetry to annoying "beats."

What's interesting is with the money that will soon become available at top programs... the parity we've seen due to scholarship limitations will disappear because everyone will have more money in being an assistant and/or HC at a top program.

Example: T Boone will dish out $$$ for a bunch of would-be empty seats in his stadium, but can he fight with the big dogs to pay and more importantly keep an elite coaching staff? We'll never see 200-man Switzer teams again, but we (elite programs) can lure the best of the best away from the Boise States and TCUs eventually. Although even if you're only making 1 million a year coaching football at a "lesser" program... you got a better gig than the rest of the population.

Good post.

ashley
12/9/2009, 08:56 PM
Guys usually don't quit jobs makin what Mack does. He and Bob make market value so no one should complain.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/9/2009, 11:25 PM
He can buy a lot of extra seconds wiff $2 mil. or maybe has has already. \?

I just hope that now he can buy some Crest White Strips.

sooneron
12/10/2009, 01:40 PM
He gets an extra mill for each conf championship he's won. I can see UTerus giving him a raise, but 2 mill is a huge bump. I don't think he's earned it that MUCH. Maybe the ut ath dept wants to mirror AIG or something. Kind of odd, heading into a rebuilding year...

Sasakwa
12/10/2009, 01:54 PM
seriously, maybe Mack is thinking of retiring if he wins a championship.

Yeah, I'm thinking a win and he may be done. Wonder if Muschamp is ready to be HC?

instigator
12/10/2009, 03:10 PM
maybe they are trying to break the other schools? :D

it does seem like a million more than anyone else is making, and i don't see him going anywhere. maybe he was hinting at taking the ND job or something

Yeah too bad ND was hinting at offering him the jorb. :)

instigator
12/10/2009, 03:16 PM

I don't care at all how much they make as long as it is driven by the market. This is just strange because it artificially raises the market value of all other top coaches. It was bound to go to $5mil, but just not this fast.

To your second point, that is very interesting. We all hear about how with the limited scholarships the talent is more spread out and there is more parody. This may be the next way the traditional powers keep their edge. I don't think it will be long before it's common for the coordinators to make $1mil plus. That should keep them from leaving the big schools for a head coaching chance at a San Diego State or Houston sized school.

ashley
12/10/2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking a win and he may be done. Wonder if Muschamp is ready to be HC?

He quits a 5m job. No way, not now.

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 03:19 PM
He quits a 5m job. No way, not now.

which means, mustychump is now going "WTF?!?!?! coach in waiting? you can kiss my asss"

Leroyt
12/10/2009, 08:14 PM
Muschamp is up to, I believe, 1.3 mil.If Texas manages to beat bama, I could definitely see Mack going out on top, not having to worry about the next rebuilding year. Seems like he mentioned in interviews after 2005 that fans were asking about 2006 while on the field celebrating the '05 rose bowl. I can see how that might get old. He'd get a decent money gig for the University glad-handing boosters.

StoopTroup
12/10/2009, 08:18 PM
+exas will want their money back pretty soon.

MyT Oklahoma
12/10/2009, 08:40 PM
I spoke with a friend in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area today and he said they don't care about the money down there. They know Mack can't coach worth a **** but they think that he recruits just mighty fine.

Being that he's beat us 4 out of the last 5 games maybe their right.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/11/2009, 09:54 AM
Maybe this will incentivize Bob to win some damn BCS bowl games and a MNC!

Jello Biafra
12/11/2009, 10:26 AM
i tend to believe the kin when he says it wasnt him that was winning all those games, it was his assistant coaches.

Funky G
12/11/2009, 12:28 PM
Another reason to play the cupcake schedule..