PDA

View Full Version : Student Killed By Exploding Chewing Gum

pb4ou
12/9/2009, 01:22 PM
SKY NEWS UK) - A chemistry student has been found dead with his jaw blown off by what is believed to be exploding chewing gum.

The 25-year-old's disfigured remains were discovered at his parent's home in the northern Ukrainian city of Konotop, reports in the Eastern European country said.

The Kiev Polytechnic Institute student was working at a computer late on Saturday when the alleged explosion happened.

"A loud pop was heard from the student's room," according to ukranews.com, which cited an aide to the city's police chief. "When his relatives entered the room, they saw that the lower part of the young man's face had been blown off."

A forensic examination established that the chewing gum was covered with an unidentified chemical substance, thought to be some type of explosive material.

The student apparently had a bizarre habit of chewing gum after dipping it into citric acid, Russian news agency Ria Novosti reported.

:pop:

yermom
12/9/2009, 01:32 PM
i'm pretty sure that citric acid is the main ingredient in that stuff they use for "sour" Skittles, etc...

not sure why that might cause an explosion though...

Partial Qualifier
12/9/2009, 01:51 PM
And... the rest of the story ;) :

Officers found both citric acid packets and a similar-looking unidentified substance, believed to be some kind of explosive material, on a table near the body, the agency continued.
Investigators suspect that the student simply confused the packets and put gum covered with explosive material into his mouth.
Forensic experts were to travel from Kiev to investigate the substance, as local authorities feared it may explode if transported.

Viking Kitten
12/9/2009, 02:06 PM
Wait, that scenario sounds familiar... Was the packet of explosive material manufactured by the "Acme" corporation and placed there by a roadrunner, by any chance?

yermom
12/9/2009, 02:07 PM
acutally, i think he mixed in some Pop Rocks and drank a Coke :eek:

jaux
12/9/2009, 02:08 PM
No wonder he screwed up...the freaking labels were in UKRANIAN!!

soonerscuba
12/9/2009, 02:14 PM
In Soviet Russia, gum chews you!

OUDoc
12/9/2009, 02:17 PM
Investigators suspect that the student simply confused the packets and put gum covered with explosive material into his mouth.

I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally chewed on the explosives I left by my computer.

Now they will ban chewing gum from planes.

SunnySooner
12/9/2009, 07:36 PM
You seriously cannot make this **** up.

Jacie
12/9/2009, 09:08 PM
Mebbee it's some of that secret agent exploding gum sticks like Tom Cruise used in Mission Impossible when he blew up the aquarium and the helicopter . . .

Hot Rod
12/9/2009, 10:45 PM
Ukranian Gum with Jaw-Dropping Flavor!!!

Viking Kitten
12/9/2009, 11:00 PM
Chew-ernobyl...for flavor that lasts and lasts and lasts...

12/10/2009, 12:09 AM
A chemistry student once gave me his jaw.

God bless 'em.

setem
12/10/2009, 01:09 AM
No wonder he screwed up...the freaking labels were in UKRANIAN!!

Man I went to Venezuela once and every kid down there speaks Spanish, that's a hard language!

OUDoc
12/10/2009, 09:22 AM
Man I went to Venezuela once and every kid down their speaks Spanish, that's a hard language!

They must be smart. My kids can't speak Spanish. ;)

49r
12/10/2009, 10:41 AM
In Soviet Russia, gum chews you!

+1!

http://jamespaulgaard.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/yakov-smirnoff.jpg

OUDoc
12/10/2009, 11:00 AM
+1!

http://jamespaulgaard.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/yakov-smirnoff.jpg
Why is he still making money?
Why was he ever making money?

StoopTroup
12/13/2009, 10:16 PM
Because he's one wild and crazy guy?

Nope...that ain't it.

StoopTroup
12/13/2009, 10:19 PM
Also...any thread about gum should include the Doublemint Twins IMO.

The latest Russian Photo of the Twins....:D

http://www.lakenetnwi.net/member/notable/images/photos/doublemint1.jpg

soonerbrat
12/14/2009, 09:13 AM
i'm pretty sure that citric acid is the main ingredient in that stuff they use for "sour" Skittles, etc...

not sure why that might cause an explosion though...

you're right..it's a sour food additive, and it's also found in citrus fruit.