PDA

View Full Version : Yo Homey

achiro
12/9/2009, 12:35 PM
Am I remembering right that you did some research of some sort regarding Gastric Bypass Surgeries? If so, I was watching biggest loser last night and the doctor they use was saying that the statistics show 1 in 10 that have the surgery die in the first year following. Is that similar to what you were finding?

If I am remembering wrong then disregard this question. :D

OUDoc
12/9/2009, 12:55 PM
My nurse's cousin won Biggest Loser last night, BTW.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2009, 01:08 PM
Any big loser competition that doesnt have any member of soonerfans in the running is a fraud.

NormanPride
12/9/2009, 01:13 PM
We'd all get our asses kicked by SicEm. Baylor wins a championship! Not in tennis!

achiro
12/9/2009, 01:13 PM
My nurse's cousin won Biggest Loser last night, BTW.

Danny is from Tulsa. Lost freakin 55% of his body weight in 7 months. From over 400 pounds to under 200...unreal.

OUDoc
12/9/2009, 02:03 PM
So now Tulsa weighs < OKC?

Chuck Bao
12/9/2009, 02:28 PM
My cousin had the procedure done and it almost killed her. If I remember correctly, there was an infection and then other complications.

achiro
12/10/2009, 11:32 PM
My cousin had the procedure done and it almost killed her. If I remember correctly, there was an infection and then other complications.

I have two friends that have had nothing but serious problems since having it done.

Boarder
12/10/2009, 11:37 PM
My wife's cousin had it done, lost a bunch of weight, decided since she wasn't (as) fat she could go clubbing, hooked up with random guy, had kid, got married, got smacked around a bit, got divorce, is now baby mama.

Viking Kitten
12/11/2009, 12:23 AM
I'm trying this new fad diet called "not eating like a ginormous pig all the time." I'll let you know how it works, assuming it too doesn't kill me or land me on welfare.

Okla-homey
12/11/2009, 08:05 AM
Am I remembering right that you did some research of some sort regarding Gastric Bypass Surgeries? If so, I was watching biggest loser last night and the doctor they use was saying that the statistics show 1 in 10 that have the surgery die in the first year following. Is that similar to what you were finding?

If I am remembering wrong then disregard this question. :D

I don't recall having seen such data, but there are typically a lot of complications. I studied one of the more drastic procedures once in order to get my brain around it for a case. The specific procedure I studied was the "Roux Y" procedure which basically isolates most of the stomach by creating a small coin purse size pouch at the base of the esophagus, the contents of which dumps into the small intestine. i can say this, that procedure drastically changes a person's life, and not neccessarily in a good way.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/630/jacc571363fig1.gif

Soonerwake
12/11/2009, 08:59 AM
I don't know about dying and stuff, but I think 9.9 out of 10 end up just as fat as before within 5 or so years. I know my sister-in-law is creeping back to big'un status.

It never ceases to amaze me what we as a society will pay for when we could do the "stop stuffing your face" diet for free. It has always worked for me.:D

RacerX
12/12/2009, 12:15 AM
I worked with a lady that had it done and died.

I also worked with a lady that had it done and is somewhat thinner, not drastically thinner.

soonerinabilene
12/12/2009, 06:27 AM
its safer to just eat a tape worm.