PDA

View Full Version : The White Boy Cometh!!!

adoniijahsooner
12/9/2009, 09:33 AM
9 minutes of brutality from Toby Gerhart. If you are a sooner fan and have a weak constitution I would not watch this video. OUr boys have their work cut out for them in thehigh altitude of El Paso, Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVf_74OGjDE

I keep thinking about Miami, KSU, TTech, Neb, and Texas when they decided to run the ball and we could not stop them. What will BV do?

adoniijahsooner
12/9/2009, 09:44 AM
Notice how the OL are knocking people on their arses 20, 30 yards downfield.

rawlingsHOH
12/9/2009, 09:46 AM
Hopefully we play more than 2 DTs. As those teams you mentioned, they got the majority of their rushing yards late in the game.

delhalew
12/9/2009, 09:55 AM
Dude is a beast. I hope the can smother the run like in the Florida game. No arm tackles for that dude.

General Applewhite
12/9/2009, 10:09 AM
Not impressed

KantoSooner
12/9/2009, 10:13 AM
He is for real. He is a big time running back. But let's not forget that our D is not shabby, either. Our D will be the best by some margin that he has faced all season. No reason for panic.
Looking at their D, by comparison, Toby might not even win the rushing war of the Numbers 7......

Jello Biafra
12/9/2009, 10:17 AM
little to no passing game equals....run stuffing D...i hope.

MamaMia
12/9/2009, 10:26 AM
I have no fear. As long as our team carbs up a couple of days before the game instead of after, they'll be able to handle this guy just fine. ;)

KantoSooner
12/9/2009, 10:45 AM
Do I sense the onset of dueling pasta recipes?!

Blues1
12/9/2009, 11:04 AM
In The Old days (50' s and 60's) there were more Players like this ~~~ We Called them FULLBACKS ---- There are very Few Real Fullbacks in today's Football -- But Toby Gerhart is a Real Fullback, a Very Good One.....
And IF we don't score at least 35 points in the Sun Bowl Look for another Loss....jmho

adoniijahsooner
12/9/2009, 11:09 AM
It would have been nice to see him and Reynolds go at it all game. I'm concerned about Travis Lewis and Clayton getting overpowered by Stanfords line.

Jello Biafra
12/9/2009, 11:12 AM
In The Old days (50' s and 60's) there were more Players like this ~~~ We Called them FULLBACKS ---- There are very Few Real Fullbacks in today's Football -- But Toby Gerhart is a Real Fullback, a Very Good One.....
And IF we don't score at least 35 points in the Sun Bowl Look for another Loss....jmho

cmon blues...do you really expect this kid to run for 200 plus on us? cuz thats what 35 points would equate to. the backup who is now a starter is no where close to the caliber of mccoy or some of the other QBs we've seen this year.

i still think gerhart gets 75 or less on us. stanford simply hasn't seen the front 7 we have this year.

Explodo
12/9/2009, 11:14 AM
Reminds me of John Riggins to a degree. Brutal runner...The NFL guys are going to beat him to a pulp.

rawlingsHOH
12/9/2009, 11:16 AM
It would have been nice to see him and Reynolds go at it all game. I'm concerned about Travis Lewis and Clayton getting overpowered by Stanfords line.
If Reynolds is available... look for a LB trio of; WLB Lewis, MLB Box, SLB Reynolds.

Clayton checking in when Stanford goes to 3 WR.

Jello Biafra
12/9/2009, 11:18 AM

double teams will eat up most of their resources. they may be good but their best olineman is the center and there is a reason (imo) hes not still a starter here. taylor and mccoy will be the best DT tandem they have faced and without a doubt, frank alexander and jeremy beal will be the best DEs they have faced. if they can only manage to double mccoy and beal, that leaves the other two single covered. where does that leave the linebackers? uncovered. if you try to block mccoy and taylor man to man, you will lose more times than not.

Blues1
12/9/2009, 11:21 AM
cmon blues...do you really expect this kid to run for 200 plus on us? cuz thats what 35 points would equate to. the backup who is now a starter is no where close to the caliber of mccoy or some of the other QBs we've seen this year.

i still think gerhart gets 75 or less on us. stanford simply hasn't seen the front 7 we have this year.

I wouldn't be Surprised to See a Score Like OU 35 - Stanford 28 - Those Lineman Blocking for Gerhart are No Sissy's -- If We don't click on offense..?

Stanford 28 OU 14 ---jmho....

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2009, 11:27 AM
Reminds me of John Riggins to a degree. Brutal runner...The NFL guys are going to beat him to a pulp.

I was doing my write up a few nights ago on him and thats one of the backs I compared him to... A few backs that I would say he is similar too..

1. John Riggins
2. Shaun Alexander
3. Touchdown Tommy

And a couple of recents

4. Steven Jackson
5. Matt Forte

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2009, 11:28 AM
9 minutes of brutality from Toby Gerhart. If you are a sooner fan and have a weak constitution I would not watch this video. OUr boys have their work cut out for them in thehigh altitude of El Paso, Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVf_74OGjDE

I keep thinking about Miami, KSU, TTech, Neb, and Texas when they decided to run the ball and we could not stop them. What will BV do?

Gerhart is a different kind of runner than what any of those teams possess..most of them had success with smaller, faster backs on cutbacks..

Jello Biafra
I wouldn't be Surprised to See a Score Like OU 35 - Stanford 28 - Those Lineman Blocking for Gerhart are No Sissy's -- If We don't click on offense..?

Stanford 28 OU 14 ---jmho....

now i do realize that nebbish is no stanford but you realize the only reason they even sniffed the endzone against us is because we turned the ball over twice within scoring distance. the same can be said about miami and byu...i think if we can subtract the number of "gimme points" over this season, we would have allowed something close to 130 points. as it stands, we only allowed 13.5 per game even as bad as we were away from our barn.

stanfords oline is good. don't get me wrong but if we had the offense to match our defense, we could have had closer to 5 shutouts this year and we would be in pasadena.

setem
He is such a fun player to watch. He is one of the best RB's I have ever seen but boy does he look white doing it!

Blues1
12/9/2009, 11:33 AM
For me Gerhart remainds me of a White Prentice Guatt (sp?) -Just add a few pounds for Gerhart and tiny bit less speed.....

ocsooner
12/9/2009, 11:41 AM
There was a lot of open field running, or someone taking a swipe as he ran by because they were out of position. Dude is good, because he didn't drop the ball when he was hit, but if we hit him in the backfield, he won't get those 20 and 30 yard runs.

A guy can look really good when he isn't touched that much. I think the game will look very different with our D in there. (it was ND defense for cryin out loud!)

PDXsooner
12/9/2009, 12:11 PM
he's pretty amazing. hopefully our safeties and corners come to lay the wood. you tackle him too high and you'll be on your ***.

betterstill
12/9/2009, 12:18 PM
We need to get out the old film of OU against Earl Campbell to see how beat a team with a bruising RB. I believe Switzer's philosophy was to hit him on every play so he would be beat up and tired by the second half.

TUSooner
12/9/2009, 12:20 PM
OU's bowl luck sucks, as far as I personally am concerned. It started with that BCSCG vs LSU, which was of course a home for a team I already hated. Later, we got to play wicked step-sister to 2 Cinderellas, BSU and WVA. Now we play against my favorite non-Sooner college player at one of my favorite non-OU schools.
GO SAINTS! :rolleyes: :O

Jacie
12/9/2009, 01:26 PM
9 minutes of brutality from Toby Gerhart. If you are a sooner fan and have a weak constitution I would not watch this video. OUr boys have their work cut out for them in the high altitude of El Paso, Texas.

Let's see, Norman, OK. elevation 1170 feet above sea level . . . Palo Alto, CA. elevation 23 feet above sea level.

Which group of players do you think will have the more difficult time adjusting to the high altitude of El Paso, TX?

cvsooner
12/9/2009, 01:32 PM
Gerhart will be tough to stop. Right now he looks to be what they've got. From what I've seen, the Stanford game plan has been to throw early, score as much as possible and then let Gerhart take over. I'm not sure they can do that against the Sooners, with the backup QB in. Regardless, stopping the run will have to be job one, and we have absolutely got to tackle better than anybody in that highlight film.

swardboy
12/9/2009, 01:37 PM
John Capelleti....that's who I think of.

You know, this is a great opportunity for DM. If our D can minimize Gerhart damage, DeMarco will have a great showcase IF our line can find a gear they haven't hithertofore this year. Lord knows he needs it before the draft.

rawlingsHOH
12/9/2009, 01:54 PM
I noticed I had a Stanford game still on my DVR from a few weeks back.

I saw much of Gerhart's damage coming from two plays; a traditional power play, where he's running behind a pulling guard, and a shotgun play where they pull the backside tackle. They run some zone stuff too. They aren't splitting the atom out there, they are just simply executing. It's a good line.

Jello Biafra
12/9/2009, 02:10 PM
I noticed I had a Stanford game still on my DVR from a few weeks back.

I saw much of Gerhart's damage coming from two plays; a traditional power play, where he's running behind a pulling guard, and a shotgun play where they pull the backside tackle. They run some zone stuff too. They aren't splitting the atom out there, they are just simply executing. It's a good line.

all i can say is if they are pulling a guard, it had better be the right one.

see, we did that alot with loadholt (maybe it was multiple lineman. i just remembered loadholt NOT getting to the point of attack until late) a LOT. the problem with this is A. it causes your back to wait for the lineman to get to his block annnnnd B. while this back is waiting, there is a free shot on said back by the dlineman who was just abandoned. if you want a FB type rb to have a bad day, make him try to make his first move IN THE BACKFIELD....you want a GREAT example, pull out the tape from the WVU bowl game. THATS what happens when you try to run that kind of crap on athletic defenses.

nmsoonergirl
12/9/2009, 02:42 PM
El Paso's just about 3700 feet. Gerhart may indeed kick our collective butts, but I don't see altitude playing into it.

Jello Biafra
12/9/2009, 03:23 PM
ok, look...i know we are all doom and gloom because of what has happened to us this year and the last 4 years in bowl games. In my heart, i truly believe these kids have been living on press clippings and bad attitude for the last few years and they were simply able to line up and put them down. this team KNOWS they got nothing else but themselves. they know there are no true leaders on this offense and they are looking inward for their team leaders on defense. if you think these guys will take even a good 4 loss team lightly, i think you will be mistaken.

although nebbish offense is bad, we essentially held them to 0 points and 140 yards rushing total and i would consider helu a faster more agile back than gerhart. no?

we held the potent all powerful best in the big XII rushing game of LosuR to the tune of zero points and 62 yards rushing.

we held the second best offense in the big XII texas A and M to 10 points and 59 yards rushing.

although we got beat by BYU, we held them to 29 yards rushing and gave them several opportunities to score on thier side of the field...

same with miami.

lighten up people. we got this. lets see how these kids match up with us. i think we match up better than most will think.

Blitzkrieg
12/9/2009, 04:10 PM
Can we sneak Roy, Nic Harris, and Brandon Everidge back into sooner unis for that game?

This kid is the real deal, but we can limit his damage. I don't care how many yards he ends up with, as long as he isn't grinding us up and running the clock if we are behin.

Widescreen
12/9/2009, 05:45 PM
Doesn't seem like he's particularly fast (not slow, just not a burner) but he has good vision and is certainly a tough SOB.

rawlingsHOH
12/9/2009, 05:55 PM
Doesn't seem like he's particularly fast (not slow, just not a burner) but he has good vision and is certainly a tough SOB.

I remember watching him in the College World Series and he looked terribly slow. I think he was coming off surgery, as he had a huge knee brace under his pants.

mightysooner
12/9/2009, 08:34 PM
First time in my life time I've ever seen a white guy excel at RB in DIv I college football. I'm impressed!

GKeeper316
12/9/2009, 08:42 PM
stanford hasn't seen a d like ours. i still think we have the best d in the nation.

edit* whoever edited that video is retarded.

Jacie
12/9/2009, 09:04 PM
First time in my life time I've ever seen a white guy excel at RB in DIv I college football. I'm impressed!

Guess you are too young to remember Steve Owens . . .

rawlingsHOH
12/9/2009, 09:11 PM
Luke Staley - BYU, Alex Smith - Indiana, are a couple, fringe all-american level tailbacks, that come to mind.

SoonerLB
12/9/2009, 09:25 PM
He's gonna get some yards on us, but hopefully our D will keep the total to a minimum. My biggest concern is whether WE will do anything on offense, starting with KW calling good plays, on time! And then there is our offensive line ............. it's enough to make me real nervous!

Leroy Lizard
12/9/2009, 09:55 PM
For me Gerhart remainds me of a White Prentice Guatt (sp?) -Just add a few pounds for Gerhart and tiny bit less speed.....

Gerhart weighs 237. Prentice weighed 210. A 237-pounder could have played on the offensive line in Prentice's day.

VA Sooner
12/9/2009, 10:08 PM
Hard to compare.... Pac-10 vs Big 12.

He's a beast all right and he's got a great o-line to open up the gaps...

but hard to compare.

Jello Biafra
12/9/2009, 11:10 PM
i finally got to watch the video hes aight but i saw MUCHO poor tackle attempts and many guys not even close to being in position to make a play. as in, people come running from out of the frame at a quick pace and end of hitting him too high or something. very rarely did i see a lineman have him in the grasp nor were there very many linebackers involved. i even saw the nd corner not only put his head down to tackle him but he hit him at the top of the numbers...too high not even looking at his target...

if we are in position and tackle well, he'll just be another back.

rawlingsHOH
12/9/2009, 11:11 PM
I just watched a lot more of Gerhart and Stanford.

He's a little overrated.

Don't get me wrong, he's good, he's physical, and he's a horse. But he isn't elite.

It's just blocked soooo clean. I watch them run in their 2nd and 3rd string backs and I see similar production.

Reminds me of another Bay Area program, Cal. Great system! Different schematically, as they aren't as zone-heavy, but similar results. Just keep plugging them in.

PDXsooner
12/9/2009, 11:29 PM
it's funny to listen to people who give all the credit to the o-line and not to garheart. if it were a sooner running the EXACT same runs i bet they'd see it differently...

rawlingsHOH
12/10/2009, 01:35 AM
I'd hope to think I could call it pretty objectively, as there have been quite a few Sooner All-American caliber players whom I've considered somewhat overrated.

No Luck
12/10/2009, 01:54 PM
Hi guys,

Dropping in to share some thoughts. Don't expect any more of us, because I'm the only Stanford fan on the internet. I'm gonna try to answer as many of the comments as I can so we'll see how it goes.

First of all, Toby is a beast. If you've had the pain of watching the God-awful editing of the Stanford athletics department, you'll see he is the real deal. We also have a great O-line who helps them out as many mentioned. If you want a short taste of Toby, here's a pretty impressive 30-second clip (again, terrible editing) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bav6LrgaG_o .

As a lot of you mentioned, the key to Toby's day is the passing game. Tavita Pritchard (our backup QB) is honestly not very good, even though he's started 19 games. He started all of last year except for a couple injured games. He looks uncomfortable out there, is inaccurate, and makes a couple bonehead mistakes a game. I think this is why we will lose the game.

With Andrew Luck (our starter) in, I have no doubts at all that Toby gets 120+ yards. Why? He's only been held under 120 yards three times this season:

1. Wake Forest, 82 yards. A bogus (one of the worst calls ever) clipping call negated a 40 yard run in the 4th quarter that would have won the game.
2. San Jose State, pulled early after 117yds.
3. Oregon State, we were down big at half and had to throw to get back in the game.

If we have no passing game at all, that will be your ONLY shot at keeping him under 100, and even then I would be surprised. We had Pritchard as QB last year and Toby still was beastly. I have confidence in your defense, but it's kind of ridiculous to say that your front 7 is way better than ANY team we've played. USC has a good front 7, and Toby was pulled after 178 yards, and could have had 50 more if Harbaugh hadn't pulled him (it was 48-21). In that game, we ran "power", the run play pulling the guard, 16 straight times at the end of the game, without using a WR, and we scored 2 TD's.

"their best olineman is the center"
Nope.

"A guy can look really good when he isn't touched that much. I think the game will look very different with our D in there. (it was ND defense for cryin out loud!)"

ocsooner: obviously the highlight real is going to show the runs with the big holes or one-on-one, but where Toby really makes his money is converting those 2-yard runs for any other RB into 5 or 7 yard runs. He keeps his legs moving, and soon there's 3 OL there to push the pile forward. He almost never falls backward, and that's an extra 2yds righ there.

"I saw much of Gerhart's damage coming from two plays; a traditional power play, where he's running behind a pulling guard, and a shotgun play where they pull the backside tackle. They run some zone stuff too. They aren't splitting the atom out there, they are just simply executing. It's a good line."
rawlings you absolutely nailed it. 80% of the time or more you will know exactly what the play is. If our FB, #48 is in the game, look at him and Toby will follow (seriously, our FB is a beast check him out on a few blocks).

Jello,
Again the highlight video is going to show the big plays and the "poor tackle attempts." Every team that loses to us whines about bad tackling on their part.

rawlings, what games did you see out of curiosity?

Again, I think OU wins this game because of our lost starting QB. There's a good chance you'll win this handily if he has a bad game. Look for Gerhart to get 35+ carries (sorry Jello, you're not keeping him under 75 if he runs the ball that much).

I'll check back later

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 02:18 PM
Hi guys,

Dropping in to share some thoughts. Don't expect any more of us, because I'm the only Stanford fan on the internet. I'm gonna try to answer as many of the comments as I can so we'll see how it goes.

First of all, Toby is a beast. If you've had the pain of watching the God-awful editing of the Stanford athletics department, you'll see he is the real deal. We also have a great O-line who helps them out as many mentioned. If you want a short taste of Toby, here's a pretty impressive 30-second clip (again, terrible editing) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bav6LrgaG_o .

As a lot of you mentioned, the key to Toby's day is the passing game. Tavita Pritchard (our backup QB) is honestly not very good, even though he's started 19 games. He started all of last year except for a couple injured games. He looks uncomfortable out there, is inaccurate, and makes a couple bonehead mistakes a game. I think this is why we will lose the game.

With Andrew Luck (our starter) in, I have no doubts at all that Toby gets 120+ yards. Why? He's only been held under 120 yards three times this season:

1. Wake Forest, 82 yards. A bogus (one of the worst calls ever) clipping call negated a 40 yard run in the 4th quarter that would have won the game.
2. San Jose State, pulled early after 117yds.
3. Oregon State, we were down big at half and had to throw to get back in the game.

right...because theres absolutely no chance that we are as good defensively as wake forest, san jose state or oregon state.
i still say if you can't throw, he goes for less than 75

If we have no passing game at all, that will be your ONLY shot at keeping him under 100, and even then I would be surprised.

hide and watch then. We had Pritchard as QB last year and Toby still was beastly. I have confidence in your defense, but it's kind of ridiculous to say that your front 7 is way better than ANY team we've played. USC has a good front 7
are you shiitin me? they lose a Dend, a DT and all 4 linebackers from last year, start brand new kids at those positions, have one left and they are even close to where they were last year? ok.
, and Toby was pulled after 178 yards, and could have had 50 more if Harbaugh hadn't pulled him (it was 48-21). In that game, we ran "power", the run play pulling the guard, 16 straight times at the end of the game, without using a WR, and we scored 2 TD's.

"their best olineman is the center"
Nope.
again, i disagree. remember, he played and started here and i watched him against ND. he was downfield more hitting safeties than he was at the LOS. with us bringing legitimate pressure from 4 downlineman, he shouldnt be doing that this game

"A guy can look really good when he isn't touched that much. I think the game will look very different with our D in there. (it was ND defense for cryin out loud!)"

ocsooner: obviously the highlight real is going to show the runs with the big holes or one-on-one, but where Toby really makes his money is converting those 2-yard runs for any other RB into 5 or 7 yard runs. He keeps his legs moving, and soon there's 3 OL there to push the pile forward. He almost never falls backward, and that's an extra 2yds righ there.how did his game look against USC two years ago? as i recall, he was falling backwards more than forward. am i saying we are good as SUCs D last year? no. but im saying you arent going to be playing ND prevent defense either.

"I saw much of Gerhart's damage coming from two plays; a traditional power play, where he's running behind a pulling guard, and a shotgun play where they pull the backside tackle. They run some zone stuff too. They aren't splitting the atom out there, they are just simply executing. It's a good line."
rawlings you absolutely nailed it. 80% of the time or more you will know exactly what the play is. If our FB, #48 is in the game, look at him and Toby will follow (seriously, our FB is a beast check him out on a few blocks).

Jello,
Again the highlight video is going to show the big plays and the "poor tackle attempts." Every team that loses to us whines about bad tackling on their part.
know why? because in 100+ years of football, as many times as it has been said, football games are won by two things. blocking and tackling. i hope we do well at both things on both sides of the ball.

rawlings, what games did you see out of curiosity?

Again, I think OU wins this game because of our lost starting QB. There's a good chance you'll win this handily if he has a bad game. Look for Gerhart to get 35+ carries (sorry Jello, you're not keeping him under 75 if he runs the ball that much).we will certainly see but, don't be suprised if we do hold him to under 3 yards a carry which will result in you guys punting alot and us having more opportunities for our three RBs to run off clock and bookoo yardage.

I'll check back later

FINALLY!

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2009, 02:25 PM
Hi, No Luck and welcome.

Thanks for your thoughts on Gerhart. I'm a sooner fan living out here in Palo Alto and I've watched several of the Stanford games on TV. Your analysis is spot on from what I saw - Toby is the real deal. He's fun to watch if you're a real football fan because he is so fundamentally sound. I can't express how much I enjoyed watching him destroy the USC defense. And I still can't believe he didn't touch the ball on those last 2 plays against Cal - what was the OC thinking? (Got too clever to win :()

The key to OU winning this game is our passing offense against your below average pass defense. If our QB shows up and has a good game and gets the ball to our play makers, we should be able to out score your guys. If he is having a bad game, we can look silly out there. If you look at our schedule, you'll conclude we are a great home team and a bad road team. That is generally true, but I think the fact is amplified by our schedule. We happened to play against the better defenses this year on the road. Against a weak KU defense, we did pretty well on the road and that is what I'm hoping happens in El Paso ;)

The wildcard factor here is motivation. Before we lost our Heisman QB and all-world TE, expectations were that we would compete for the big12 title and even have a shot at the BCS title if things fell into place. Instead things fell to pieces and a 7-5 record and a minor bowl are a real letdown. Compare that to Stanford getting their 1st bowl bid since '01 and you can see a potential big difference in perspective here. But that's why Stoops gets paid the big bucks, so we'll see.

Blues1
12/10/2009, 02:26 PM
Except for this Fan ~ And From reviewing their Board - I doubt we will see any Stanford fans here any time soon -- Maybe after the game....jmho....

soonerchris
12/10/2009, 03:40 PM
Living in so-cal I get a steady dose of pac-10 sports. He is the real deal. He went to high school near where I live and has a huge heart. I don't like to say it but he'll get 100 yrds and a couple of touchdowns. The defense will know for sure they were in a physical game. It'll be up to the offense for us in this game.

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 03:42 PM
Living in so-cal I get a steady dose of pac-10 sports. He is the real deal. He went to high school near where I live and has a huge heart. I don't like to say it but he'll get 100 yrds and a couple of touchdowns. The defense will know for sure they were in a physical game. It'll be up to the offense for us in this game.

im not saying it MAY not happen. after all we have allowed slow white rbs go for big gains but i dont see them dominating our dline.

No Luck
12/10/2009, 03:44 PM
"right...because theres absolutely no chance that we are as good defensively as wake forest, san jose state or oregon state."
That wasn't my point at all.

"i still say if you can't throw, he goes for less than 75"
We'll probably see since I don't think we'll be able to throw.

"are you shiitin me? they lose a Dend, a DT and all 4 linebackers from last year, start brand new kids at those positions, have one left and they are even close to where they were last year? ok."
They're not where they were last year, but they're not a bad defense. You could say that about several of the last 8 years and they were still pretty good.

"again, i disagree. remember, he played and started here and i watched him against ND. he was downfield more hitting safeties than he was at the LOS. with us bringing legitimate pressure from 4 downlineman, he shouldnt be doing that this game"
I saw the other 11 games. Not our best lineman.

"how did his game look against USC two years ago? as i recall, he was falling backwards more than forward."
He didn't play, he was injured in our 2nd game. Last year, he got 101 yards.

" am i saying we are good as SUCs D last year? no. but im saying you arent going to be playing ND prevent defense either."
True, but somewhere in between should mean 100+ no problem if we can keep you from putting 8 out of the box. That doesn't mean we'll win.

"know why? because in 100+ years of football, as many times as it has been said, football games are won by two things. blocking and tackling. i hope we do well at both things on both sides of the ball."
My point is that Toby makes people tackle badly. At best, most will get carried a couple of yards after contact. The only way to completely stop him is to either get in the backfield before he starts, or gang-tackle him.

"we will certainly see but, don't be suprised if we do hold him to under 3 yards a carry which will result in you guys punting alot and us having more opportunities for our three RBs to run off clock and bookoo yardage."
If you hold him under 3 ypc I will be sure to come back here and say you were right. 4.4 is his previous worst (28 carries 123 yards), so you'll have your work cut out for you. Of course, we had a passing game back then.

BoulderSooner:
None of us in the stands could believe Harbaugh (responsible for play calling on offense) didn't give it to Toby right away, especially considering Luck was having by far his worst performance of the year at 10-for-28. a 145-yard game with 5 TD's, and the W, would have made an even bigger Heisman statement.

"Below average" secondary is putting it mildly. Our pass defense is scary to watch. If we can't get any pressure on your QB it will be a long day. Hopefully Pritchard can complete just enough passes to let Gerhart get his average of 141YPG.

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 04:09 PM
ok. good response...not exactly what we're used to around here so ill adjust the attitude lol...

""how did his game look against USC two years ago? as i recall, he was falling backwards more than forward."
He didn't play, he was injured in our 2nd game. Last year, he got 101 yards.""

ok maybe i was thinking of the fullback then...big white dude.

""know why? because in 100+ years of football, as many times as it has been said, football games are won by two things. blocking and tackling. i hope we do well at both things on both sides of the ball."
My point is that Toby makes people tackle badly. At best, most will get carried a couple of yards after contact. The only way to completely stop him is to either get in the backfield before he starts, or gang-tackle him."

and that is usually or MO which brings me to the next point...if beeler isn't your best lineman, harblow (im a bears fan. i have the right to dog the shiite out of him) had better get him some help because lined up on him will be 2 very good dlineman that he is going to be very familiar with. if you have to double even one of them, the dends will make hamburger meat out what little of a passing game you do have. i suspect, jimbo will go with a lot of max protect which leaves two options. doubled wrs and your running game.

"we will certainly see but, don't be suprised if we do hold him to under 3 yards a carry which will result in you guys punting alot and us having more opportunities for our three RBs to run off clock and bookoo yardage."
If you hold him under 3 ypc I will be sure to come back here and say you were right. 4.4 is his previous worst (28 carries 123 yards), so you'll have your work cut out for you. Of course, we had a passing game back then.

LosuR had a damn good rushing offense until they came to norman. their stud qb couldnt pass and they left with less than 75 yards of rushing AS A TEAM along with a 0-14 3rd down conversion and a goose egg on the score board.not telling you that to compare you to a sorry team like that but im just telling you what our defense is CAPABLE of doing.

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 04:10 PM
ooopsie what the

No Luck
12/10/2009, 04:28 PM
not exactly what we're used to around here so ill adjust the attitude lol...
LOL! Doesn't bother me...

and that is usually or MO which brings me to the next point...if beeler isn't your best lineman, harblow (im a bears fan. i have the right to dog the shiite out of him) had better get him some help because lined up on him will be 2 very good dlineman that he is going to be very familiar with. if you have to double even one of them, the dends will make hamburger meat out what little of a passing game you do have. i suspect, jimbo will go with a lot of max protect which leaves two options. doubled wrs and your running game.
Maybe. We've gotten some pretty good push this year, but I'll admit I haven't even seen you guys play a full game (not much of you guys on TV this year over here).

One formation you probably haven't seen this year is the "Giant." We put 7 OL in the game, one tight end, and a FB and just ram it down the other team's throat. It's predictable as hell and it works great.
LosuR had a damn good rushing offense until they came to norman. their stud qb couldnt pass and they left with less than 75 yards of rushing AS A TEAM along with a 0-14 3rd down conversion and a goose egg on the score board.not telling you that to compare you to a sorry team like that but im just telling you what our defense is CAPABLE of doing.

That must have been a fun game for you guys... it's so hard to tell how things will work out across conferences, it's really a toss up. I would still gladly bet on Toby breaking 100yds, though.

I think it all comes down to both teams' passing game.

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 04:34 PM
not exactly what we're used to around here so ill adjust the attitude lol...
LOL! Doesn't bother me...

Maybe. We've gotten some pretty good push this year, but I'll admit I haven't even seen you guys play a full game (not much of you guys on TV this year over here).

One formation you probably haven't seen this year is the "Giant." We put 7 OL in the game, one tight end, and a FB and just ram it down the other team's throat. It's predictable as hell and it works great.

That must have been a fun game for you guys... it's so hard to tell how things will work out across conferences, it's really a toss up. I would still gladly bet on Toby breaking 100yds, though.

I think it all comes down to both teams' passing game.

werd. i dont think it will be an all out areial attack because kevin wilson doesn't believe like most coaches in football...IE "im going to run it until you stop it" he likes to get cute and become the offensive evil mastermind. he'll hit you with a run up the gut, and if it goes for 8 yards, he'll hit you with a 15 yard fade, then try a QB sneak on 3rd down just for shiits and giggles and then end up punting at 4th and 2....

I F:

we get to the point to where we are hitting every passing route we throw at you, well....you know the deal...you will need to pass to stay in the game.

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 04:36 PM
i just wish we could see the real defense be ever present this bowl season. anyone remember the arkansas cotton bowl game where they were going to run us down to the tune of 450+ yards....they walked out of there that cold blustery day with 51 yards of total offense. ahhh the good ole days.

grow up youngins... quick.

sooneron
12/10/2009, 04:57 PM
I could have run for a buck fiddy on the irish this year. He's good and salty, but I think we'll contain him. This game is on T Lewis, BIG TIME.

msteudem
12/10/2009, 05:01 PM
I guarantee we will see TG do a HB pass in the red zone. Stay disciplined D.

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 05:11 PM
I guarantee we will see TG do a HB pass in the red zone. Stay disciplined D.

hopefully we dont fall for that. we saw it against florida last year and G did it agains tnd so they have it on film.

stoopified
12/10/2009, 05:20 PM
Steve Owens is who I see when I look at Toby.I think if Luck is out we can and will stuff the run.

No Luck
12/10/2009, 05:39 PM
Come on guys, lets put some solid numbers on this.

Without Luck, how many yards will Toby Gerhart get?
With Luck, how many?
I'll think about it and post my guesses later today.

rawlingsHOH
12/10/2009, 05:56 PM
I'll say he gets 84 yards.

Blues1
12/10/2009, 06:36 PM
I say Toby gets about 100 ~ but we still Win - 28 to 21 ...!

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2009, 07:01 PM
Stanford's run game is better than okie lite's run game - I don't see us "stuffing it". I guess it depends on your definition of stuffing it. They will be able to move the chains and get on the scoreboard. We'll have to avoid the big play and force them into throwing situations in order to keep drives alive - that will end badly for them. We have no power running game at all, so a grind it out, defensive struggle favors the cardinal. But it won't come to that because we should be able to pass. And if we can pass, then eventually the run starts working too. We need a big game from Broyles, DeMarco and Miller and implicitly, from Jones. Throw in a workmanlike effort from Chris Brown and we have plenty of weapons to be effective. I'm *really* looking forward to a bowl game where we can put points on the board for a change.

Leroy Lizard
12/10/2009, 09:04 PM
Anyone have a count on the word "white"?

Crucifax Autumn
12/10/2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, a thread entitled "the black boy cometh" probably wouldn't fly.

adoniijahsooner
12/10/2009, 11:02 PM
Yeah, a thread entitled "the black boy cometh" probably wouldn't fly.

What's wrong with the thread title? I have always loved watching white guys play tailback since seeing Merrill Hoge with Pittsburg and Craig James with SMU. Believe me, there is no racism here.

Let's be honest, If a white guy named Peter Finkel won the 100m dash in 9.3 seconds, what do you think will be on everyones mind considering he wasnt the traditional color of the folks who normally win? Or if a black guy named Barack...well nevermind.:D

VA Sooner
12/11/2009, 12:37 AM
Damn good thread though.

Enjoyed it.

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2009, 01:40 AM
What's wrong with the thread title? I have always loved watching white guys play tailback since seeing Merrill Hoge with Pittsburg and Craig James with SMU. Believe me, there is no racism here.

Let's be honest, If a white guy named Peter Finkel won the 100m dash in 9.3 seconds, what do you think will be on everyones mind considering he wasnt the traditional color of the folks who normally win? Or if a black guy named Barack...well nevermind.:D

I have no problem with the thread title...just making an observation.

Leroy Lizard
12/11/2009, 01:52 AM

I don't think it's racist. I just think it's weird.

No Luck
12/11/2009, 03:16 AM
OK, got a couple guesses. I see nobody's saying 16 carries for 30 yards (yeah, that's you Mark Ingram).

I will say without Luck he will get about 110-120 yards, if Luck miraculously came back he should get his customary 140. Not meaning to put down your defense. I just think some of you guys are underestimating how good this RB, FB and OL are. Unfortunately I'll be out of the country for the game so I'll visit you guys in early January with some thoughts after I watch the game.

Good luck.

adoniijahsooner
12/11/2009, 09:40 AM
I don't think it's racist. I just think it's weird.

Why?

rawlingsHOH
12/11/2009, 09:53 AM
OK, got a couple guesses. I see nobody's saying 16 carries for 30 yards (yeah, that's you Mark Ingram).

I will say without Luck he will get about 110-120 yards, if Luck miraculously came back he should get his customary 140. Not meaning to put down your defense. I just think some of you guys are underestimating how good this RB, FB and OL are. Unfortunately I'll be out of the country for the game so I'll visit you guys in early January with some thoughts after I watch the game.

Good luck.
Could certainly happen, but unlikely, as that would probably require multiple "negative" carries and that isn't really Stanford's MO.

Jello Biafra
12/11/2009, 09:57 AM

Good luck.

although i agree with what you are saying, i still dont think he breaks the century mark and heres why:

if he gets what we normally give per carry, (2.7) you guys will be punting more which means we will have the ball more often. if we have the ball more often than you, we will be cutting down on the number of attempts he gets. if this happens over a 3 or 4 series period, you guys will have to go to the air. if you go to the air, he will get fewer attempts still.

im going to be fair and give him an average of 4 YPC so, Im predicting about 20 carries for about 80 yards. your other options carrying the ball will probably equal 10 carries. before you say "whoa what? 20 carries?" i say to you, any OC worth his salt is going to at least ATTEMPT a pass every series so i say gerhart gets the ball on first and second then pass on third just because thats the norm right? so 20 carries would be 10 series. just an average. there may be a series where you guys throw 3 downs and no carries etc etc...

i dont think luck will play AT ALL> his dad has effectively said, his season is over and i would tend to believe what he says. the kid played football in texas and knows that his CAREER is far from over with this one missed bowl game. if he goes out and permanently injures his finger on his throwing hand, he might have to hang the cleats up.

adoniijahsooner
12/11/2009, 10:03 AM
although i agree with what you are saying, i still dont think he breaks the century mark and heres why:

if he gets what we normally give per carry, (2.7) you guys will be punting more which means we will have the ball more often. if we have the ball more often than you, we will be cutting down on the number of attempts he gets. if this happens over a 3 or 4 series period, you guys will have to go to the air. if you go to the air, he will get fewer attempts still.

im going to be fair and give him an average of 4 YPC so, Im predicting about 20 carries for about 80 yards. your fullback should go for about 20.

i dont think luck will play AT ALL> his dad has effectively said, his season is over and i would tend to believe what he says. the kid played football in texas and knows that his CAREER is far from over with this one missed bowl game. if he goes out and permanently injures his finger on his throwing hand, he might have to hang the cleats up.

What truly worries me is if the no huddle offense falters and we have to keep putting our defense out there against that line and Gerhart. No amount of practice time can stop a powerful rushing attack once your players get fatigued.

Jello Biafra
12/11/2009, 10:24 AM
What truly worries me is if the no huddle offense falters and we have to keep putting our defense out there against that line and Gerhart. No amount of practice time can stop a powerful rushing attack once your players get fatigued.

heh i forgot about that... well, if we rip of 5 ypc i pray to god we dont try to get cute and throw deep slants on 3rd and 2...

No Luck
12/11/2009, 10:38 AM
Jello, while that is possible, I think you just assumed a worst-case-in-the-world scenario for us, where we go 3 and out every series. While I can see that coming from a team that just shut out a pretty good Big 12 offense, I think even with our backup QB you'll find this hard. But hey, we haven't faced each other in 20-something years, so who knows?

I agree with you that I don't see Luck playing. It was interesting that the first reports were that he's out for sure, and then people started saying coming back was a possibility. Maybe that's just to force OU to prepare for Luck as well...

Jello Biafra
12/11/2009, 10:57 AM
Jello, while that is possible, I think you just assumed a worst-case-in-the-world scenario for us, where we go 3 and out every series. While I can see that coming from a team that just shut out a pretty good Big 12 offense, I think even with our backup QB you'll find this hard. But hey, we haven't faced each other in 20-something years, so who knows?

I agree with you that I don't see Luck playing. It was interesting that the first reports were that he's out for sure, and then people started saying coming back was a possibility. Maybe that's just to force OU to prepare for Luck as well...

indeed. i did go with worst case. far worst case. but im telling you, this team is feast and famine. when we are clicking on offense, we put the hammer down and go full bore and this year, the defense has picked up momentum as the game has progressed when the offense is doing what it wants.

I don't really know if you've looked that deep into yet but we have essentially pitched 4 shutouts this season. yeh yeh i know. stats dont show it but, the bugeaters got 10 points on turnovers. a TD on a 1 yard SERIES and a FG off a 6 yard series....thats it. if we had a FG kicker worth his weight in peanut butter and jelly, we would have still won the game. so although two of our shutouts came against tulsa and idaho friggin state, two of them came against VERY strong Big XII opponents. (i know, im still pissed we hurt nebbish so bad and came away with a loss like we did. it just sucks 7 yards cost us 10 points)

i would tend to believe you about lucks issue but i doubt luck's father is in bed with stanfords gameplan just to fool us.

rawlingsHOH
12/11/2009, 11:31 AM

You're right! If the offense is not producing, the no-huddle is a hinderance. It is designed to prolong the game, and if you have a weak offense, that is the last thing you want to do. You just end up wearing out your own defense.

adoniijahsooner
12/11/2009, 11:33 AM
You're right! If the offense is not producing, the no-huddle is a hinderance. It is designed to prolong the game, and if you have a weak offense, that is the last thing you want to do. You just end up wearing out your own defense.

Then comes the embarrassing moments of linebackers and db's getting pancaked in the second half.

BoulderSooner79
12/11/2009, 11:38 AM

Huddle or no huddle, our passing game must be effective to win this one.

No Luck
12/11/2009, 04:54 PM
"i would tend to believe you about lucks issue but i doubt luck's father is in bed with stanfords gameplan just to fool us."

Sorry, I meant that the other way. Our athletics department might be hinting that he could be back just so OU will have to take some looks at Luck, even though there's no chance he's playing. Just a theory. Harbaugh's very stingy and a bit sneaky with injury info, which gets really annoying for our fans.

Guys, I wouldn't be too worried about your passing game unless your OL is weak. Our DL is alright but the DB's shouldn't give you much of a problem. You'll get your yards. The only offenses we've held in check have bad QBs (Arizona State, USC, Washington State), with the notable exception of Washington (Locker). Your QB seems decent enough to give us trouble. IMO the big unknown is Pritchard's play. If he can avoid interceptions (Luck had 4 all year), we should keep it close at least. Our O-line is much improved from last year (3 sacks allowed all year), so maybe this will give him some more comfort in the pocket.

How do you guys feel about your run offense?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2009, 04:58 PM
havent had one all year..ran the ball decent with the latest version of the starting o line against ok state.....

Its not something OU hangs their hat on with this group so its not really important...

The difference will be whether OU is kicking field goals or scoring TDs in the red zone

nmsoonergirl
12/11/2009, 06:34 PM
Guys, I wouldn't be too worried about your passing game unless your OL is weak.

Okay, this make me laugh so hard I spit out my tea. Nice to find something to laugh about this season!

BoulderSooner79
12/11/2009, 07:36 PM
Harbaugh's very stingy and a bit sneaky with injury info, which gets really annoying for our fans.

Bob keeps us completely informed on injuries at all times. :P

How do you guys feel about your run offense?

If we can pass, then we can run once the DL gets gassed from pass rushing. We have very little success lining up and challenging the defense with a power run game. We have had some spurts of success running in the hurry-up if we trap the defense on the field with the wrong package, but I can't remember a complete drive for a TD that way. We do have quality backs and if we can get DeMarco Murray passed the front 7, he can break a long one or run over a DB.

sooneron
12/11/2009, 09:44 PM
With Luck : 115-135
No Luck (sorry kid) : 101