PDA

View Full Version : Do refrees show favor to some coaches and players?

Dan Thompson
12/8/2009, 12:23 PM
I finally got to watch the segment on 60 minutes about the NBA ref that bet on games.

He was saying that some players the ref's didn't like and others, Kobe B, they did like.

I was wondering how much of that goes on in college football.

After the Oregon game and the Nebraska v Texas game, I would think there is quite a lot of that going on.

Jello Biafra
12/8/2009, 12:26 PM
I finally got to watch the segment on 60 minutes about the NBA ref that bet on games.

He was saying that some players the ref's didn't like and others, Kobe B, they did like.

After the Oregon game and the Nebraska v Texas game, I would think there is quite a lot of that going on.

absolutely no doubt. i get a majority of the calls on my LL football team because i don't run around screaming and yelling like a madman on the sidelines. if i tell the ref that it was a BS call and tell him why i think that, he generally takes it into consideration when there is a judgement call the next time.

first, its not big time football (ie: pros or college)
second, its not like i dont get hot and yell. if you do it respectfully, you will get helped out sometimes.

the ones who don't, rarely get the call unless it is a no doubt booboo

goingoneight
12/8/2009, 12:27 PM
They're generally speaking just guys who have a job to do. Like you or me, they begin to like and/or dislike kids on the field according to how much jawing and fighting they have to break up.

Sometimes, there's a guy from Oregon reffing an OOC game for Oregon... sometimes there's a ref betting on the game he's calling... sometimes there's biased to be suspected... but overall it's a very small minority of the time and the "bad calls" are simply human error or something that you just can't please everyone.

Widescreen
12/8/2009, 12:43 PM
After the Texas game last year and some of the "roughing" calls, I really started to wonder.

rawlingsHOH
12/8/2009, 12:47 PM
Many of the SEC and Big 12 conference refs are rogue. It's naive to think otherwise.

Funky G
12/8/2009, 01:03 PM
In the state of Texas they do.

MamaMia
12/8/2009, 01:30 PM
The time Stoops called out the refs, which I'm thinking happened right after a game with UCLA, we couldn't get a break for 2 years. The whole bunch of them held a grudge. It was so obvious.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 01:58 PM
I still haven't seen the phantom holding call( I think) on the Onyenegecha int from that UCLA game

rawlingsHOH
12/8/2009, 02:11 PM
I still haven't seen the phantom holding call( I think) on the Onyenegecha int from that UCLA game
Our 3 trips to Pac-10 land were ALL brutal.

The one that goes unnoticed is the Washington game, because it was such a blowout. But that one may have been just as bad as the UCLA and Oregon games.

But the PI call, on the tipped pass at UO, was as dirty as it gets.

Hot Rod
12/8/2009, 02:20 PM
Our 3 trips to Pac-10 land were ALL brutal.

The one that goes unnoticed is the Washington game, because it was such a blowout. But that one may have been just as bad as the UCLA and Oregon games.

Well the refs missed the triple team attack on Granger, which cost him being injured.

TXBOOMER
12/8/2009, 02:24 PM
Go watch 1984 OU - texass and there will be no questions as to who always benefits from the Refs when playing in this the State of texass.

MamaMia
12/8/2009, 02:34 PM
Are the games in Lubbock still refereed by the local insurance salesman? You know, the guy that worked this game?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/OU%20Football/27251.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/OU%20Football/ArseonGround.jpg

bluedogok
12/8/2009, 10:53 PM

I think it is much more prevalent in basketball than football since the coaches and players are right on top of them and the floor is so small compared to a football field it is just more concentrated. When my wife officiated she was usually a side or line judge (Pop Warner, jr. high), she said you learn to "tune out" coaches...then I was like, "what did you say" :D

The time Stoops called out the refs, which I'm thinking happened right after a game with UCLA, we couldn't get a break for 2 years. The whole bunch of them held a grudge. It was so obvious.
I think that is one of the things that did Billy Tubbs in at OU, he berated Big 8 refs constantly and they took it out on his teams. Norm Stewart did but then he also had a neighbor who was a ref so he probably did a bunch of politicking behind the scenes.

PDXsooner
12/8/2009, 11:22 PM

except for when OU recovered the onside kick, and somehow the ball was awarded to Oregon. THAT was the worst call in college football history...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/289726311_22477abcaf.jpg

the_ouskull
12/8/2009, 11:24 PM
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/12590.html

the_ouskull