View Full Version : What Some Stanford Fans Think of OU

Blues1
12/8/2009, 12:08 PM
LINK..... :)

http://www.thecardboard.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1260139268

Have Fun & Keep Rockin'

Red October
12/8/2009, 12:21 PM
I lived about 20 miles north of Palo Alto for about a year, and those are some great folks. The fan base is pretty thin compared to OU or any other program, but the ones I ran into were great. Nothing but respect here for the Cardinals. Palo Alto is a great town and what time I spend there, I had a blast.

I am really looking forward to this matchup. Should be fun!

goingoneight
12/8/2009, 12:24 PM
No doubt a good team and great crowd expected. Shame we meet classy outsider folks like that every game *cough! OSU, TT, TX, aTm cough!*

homerSimpsonsBrain
12/8/2009, 12:33 PM
I scanned their board the other day and thought "How odd. A football message board where folks seem really reasonable and thoughtful". Clearly their trying to sneak something past us. :D

Jello Biafra
12/8/2009, 12:34 PM
I scanned their board the other day and thought "How odd. A football message board where folks seem really reasonable and thoughtful". Clearly their trying to sneak something past us. :D

roflamo i thought i was the only one thinking this.

i was like " i don't trust these guys. they are far too nice"

meoveryouxinfinity
12/8/2009, 12:38 PM
Terry, OU looks similar to ASU's defense, better but the same ballpark. backing out our rushing yards against ASU, the OU and ASU rush defenses seem very similar.

I'm assuming ASU is Arizona State..?? lol.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/8/2009, 12:39 PM
roflamo i thought i was the only one thinking this.

i was like " i don't trust these guys. they are far too nice"

This. Lol. Someone needs to go over there and troll.

Or just be friendly and invite them to visit with us.

sooner ngintunr
12/8/2009, 01:03 PM
LOL the last poster must not realize Mr. Luck probably won't be playing.

texas bandman
12/8/2009, 01:16 PM
I think they're a well-reasoned board is because they're from Stanford....you have to be pretty intelligent to get accepted there.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2009, 01:20 PM
I think they're a well-reasoned board is because they're from Stanford....you have to be pretty intelligent to get accepted* there.

I got accepted there, so how come so many of you guys keep calling me a moron? :confused:

*actual, I got in by sleeping with the admission chair-woman.

jumperstop
12/8/2009, 01:21 PM
I don't where that guy gets teh idea that offense and defense don't like each other...must know more about OU football than most of us OU fans.

yermom
12/8/2009, 01:22 PM
well-reasoned and intelligent aren't always the same :D

sjt
12/8/2009, 01:30 PM
Good luck with their band. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/8/2009, 01:34 PM
Well the good thing is I think most of us can take a joke. And accept creativity for what it is.

yermom
12/8/2009, 01:34 PM
i was thinking that. should be interesting :D

hopefully Britt will take notes.

CincySooner
12/8/2009, 01:40 PM

My guess is they'll pull out all of the stops. Maybe a Lexus Ambulance from BRSI with donors throwing cash out the back, being chased by "players" in uniform waving guns and bags of cocaine?

That about covers it for all-time dirt on OU right?

CincySooner
12/8/2009, 01:42 PM

Maybe he can write a letter to the band about how disrespectful they are. :rolleyes:

badger
I absolutely loathe Stanford during women's basketball season. I relish the chance to beat them... since we can't in women's basketball :(

stoops the eternal pimp
I figured it would be something like somebody dressed like the Statue of Liberty

OUDoc
12/8/2009, 01:47 PM
I was at the OU/Stanford game in Norman in 1983. I definitely remember their band.

OKLA21FAN
12/8/2009, 01:49 PM
I was at the OU/Stanford game in Norman in 1983. I definitely remember their band.

count me in as well, their tribute to Vanessa Williams was a classis :pop:

badger
12/8/2009, 01:50 PM
Apparently the Rice band (which is similar to Stanford's) did a parody of the Oklahoma musical a few years back.

There is definitely a lot of material for them to work with, from football to politics... but that's not to say we couldn't do something for them either.

For Stanford football: The fact that they have not been bowling in a very long time.

For Stanford (area) politics: Bubbles bursting everywhere (for the dot-com bust)

For Stanford band: Trombone players getting tackled by Cal football players

For Stanford mascot: People dressed a axes, chainsaws, matches or urinating Top Dawgs (lol @ top dawg for doing that a few years back)

jumperstop
12/8/2009, 01:53 PM
I figured it would be something like somebody dressed like the Statue of Liberty

I wonder if they would put the same workmanship into that costume as they do the mascots. If so you might not even be able to tell what it was. Thier "tree" mascot barely resembles a tree, and looks like a childrens Christmas program prop.

jumperstop
12/8/2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/stanford-tree.png

soonerboy
12/8/2009, 02:21 PM
the only reason they are reasonable is because they have nothing to back what they've done up.

badger
12/8/2009, 02:31 PM
I hope Joe C. does what he's been doing at past bowl games and get Stanford on for a home-and-home in the coming years. Then again, Pac 10 refs.

tommieharris91
12/8/2009, 02:35 PM

A) What the hell is this?

B) What the hell is this supposed to be?

VA Sooner
12/8/2009, 02:42 PM

Most amusing... lucky tree?

Theskipster
12/8/2009, 02:51 PM
I wonder if they would put the same workmanship into that costume as they do the mascots. If so you might not even be able to tell what it was. Thier "tree" mascot barely resembles a tree, and looks like a childrens Christmas program prop.

It is their tradition that each week the person who will be the tree has to make their own costume.

Scott D
12/8/2009, 02:58 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of the Big Red/Bomar thing.

ouduckhunter
12/8/2009, 02:59 PM

That is too funny!! Thanks for a good laugh!

ADs_Agent
12/8/2009, 03:01 PM

that's because most of their fanbase are grads or students. If we took away everyone who barely finished Sophmore year of high school from our fanbase we'd be very similar.

instigator
12/8/2009, 03:46 PM
i was thinking that. should be interesting :D

You should start a new thread about that. :texan:

swardboy
12/8/2009, 07:30 PM
When engaging Stanford posters:
they're = they are
their = it belongs to them
there = the position of a thing

You hillbillies are goin' to embarrass us all, I just know'd it.

OUHOMER
12/8/2009, 07:39 PM
they're = they are

we will send vet on over :D

A Sooner in Texas
12/8/2009, 08:46 PM
they're = they are

Thank you, Sward! And it's the Stanford Cardinal; singular, not plural.

OU86
12/8/2009, 09:17 PM
Thank you, Sward! And it's the Stanford Cardinal; singular, not plural.

You can really impress them by the correct use of the gerund, ie
"OU's going to El Paso is a bit of a let down" not "OU going to El Paso is a bit of a let down."

Also, if you want to get in good with some of the old alums, refer to Stanford as the "Indians." That was their unofficial nickname way back when.

Finally, if you actually meet a Stanford fan in person, don't be disappointed if your offer of a cold one is not immediately followed by a counteroffer to engage in a chugging race or if your subsequent offer of a belching contest is not as well received as it is by fans of certain other schools that shall not be named.

Breadburner
12/8/2009, 09:21 PM
"And now a tribute to Barry Switzer"....

the_ouskull
12/8/2009, 11:28 PM

Man, f*ck a buncha smart kids.

I got accepted there, so how come so many of you guys keep calling me a moron? :confused:

*actual, I got in by sleeping with the admission chair-woman.

Did you ask her if she wanted to get naked and start the revolution?

Sin,

http://www.joblo.com/images_movie_reviews/orange_county.jpg

they're = they are

You jest. I'm terrified.

the_ouskull

King Crimson
12/8/2009, 11:45 PM
i was at the 81 game in the rain when Barry and Bobby Proctor *should* have discovered they couldn't defend the forward pass. a problem they did nothing about all the way through 1987.

let Stanford talk. they have a good team and coach this year. we're a bit of a mystery.

MyT Oklahoma
12/8/2009, 11:58 PM
i was at the 81 game in the rain when Barry and Bobby Proctor *should* have discovered they couldn't defend the forward pass. a problem they did nothing about all the way through 1987.

let Stanford talk. they have a good team and coach this year. we're a bit of a mystery.

I thought that was the 1980 game because I was there too. In Norman, right? As in 31 to nothing before we got any points.

I also thought that they were officially the Stanford Indians before some politically correct SOB's lobbied to change their mascot.

Either way though.. screw 'em.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/9/2009, 01:28 AM
Good luck with their band. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve.That guy they have in the freakin' palm tree costume at basketball games is mega-bizarre, and sorta profane.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2009, 02:42 AM
I forgot about the band. That almost makes the bowl worth attending (or avoiding if you are the easily offended type).

King Crimson
12/9/2009, 08:54 AM
I thought that was the 1980 game because I was there too. In Norman, right? As in 31 to nothing before we got any points.

yup, you are right. 1980. we even got out rushed. ouch. it was raining like a mutha, that i do remember.

http://soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=788

olevetonahill
12/9/2009, 09:03 AM
If I watch the Game on TeeVee
and they go to the sports center BS , How I watch the 1/2 time shows ?:confused:

texas bandman
12/9/2009, 11:43 AM
yup, you are right. 1980. we even got out rushed. ouch. it was raining like a mutha, that i do remember.

http://soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=788

I was in the Pride that day....miserable weather and John Elway showed us the future of football.

47straight
12/9/2009, 11:48 AM
Everyone I knew who went to Stanford (for undergrad) was a little on the sleazy side, and desperatelt wanted you to think they were smart.

For whatever reason, that hasn't seemed true at all for my peeps who went there for grad school.

MyT Oklahoma
12/9/2009, 01:49 PM
I was in the Pride that day....miserable weather and John Elway showed us the future of football.

Oh heck I was on Stanford's sideline that day holding an umbrella for a photographer. But I did get into the press box before the game. I got to meet the King before the game. I got into the OU locker room after the game and I also got to attend the King's press conference afterwards. Other than the rain and the outcome, not all in all a bad weekend.

MyT Oklahoma
12/9/2009, 01:50 PM
P.S. Screw Stanford.

SoonerKnight
12/9/2009, 06:53 PM
Standford fans are a bunch of nerds!!! GEEZ!!!

King Crimson
12/9/2009, 07:15 PM
Everyone I knew who went to Stanford (for undergrad) was a little on the sleazy side, and desperatelt wanted you to think they were smart.

For whatever reason, that hasn't seemed true at all for my peeps who went there for grad school.

i have a "colleague" who went to Stanford for grad school and he manages to bring it up in about 90% of the conversations you have with him. i worked with him on a project for a full academic year, we met every two weeks, and i have to say i think he's a total moron.

the_ouskull
12/10/2009, 01:49 AM
I think that the problem with Stanford is, it's only impressive to people who are smart enough to know how difficult it is, and that does not include the general public. If you tell some Joe Dipcup off of the street that you went to Harvard, he's going to have an idea of what that means, but to that same hillbilly, Stanford may as well be I.T.T. Tech.

Sometimes, I hate where I'm from... but not as much as people who are all pretentious about where they received their education.

the_ouskull

No Luck
12/10/2009, 04:08 PM
You guys are freakin hilarious.

PS Most Stanford grad students, especially the business school, are full of themselves (except for 47straight's buddies).

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 04:25 PM
You guys are freakin hilarious.

PS Most Stanford grad students, especially the business school, are full of themselves (except for 47straight's buddies).

but 47 straight is a dillweed.

shhh no one tell him i said that.

KantoSooner
12/10/2009, 04:53 PM
Isn't Stanford a 'safety school'?

Jello Biafra
12/10/2009, 04:56 PM
Isn't Stanford a 'safety school'?

i dont know bout the "safety school" thing but i think it may have been where the "safety dance" started.

Boarder
12/10/2009, 05:37 PM
the only reason they are reasonable is because they have nothing to back what they've done up.
In that case, osu ought to be the most reasonable people on Earth.

KantoSooner
12/10/2009, 05:37 PM
from your screen name to 'safety dance' you bring up memories. Good ones. My respect to you.

the_ouskull
12/10/2009, 08:40 PM
In that case, osu ought to be the most reasonable people on Earth.

Funny how things work. Instead, they're the least-reasonable, mainly due to the primate's inability to perform high-reasoning tasks... like color, or play football in orange.

the_ouskull

westcoast_sooner
12/11/2009, 02:02 AM

I decided to join that board just for fun. I'll drop in and probably start a thread to invite them over here as well.

My wife graduated from Kentucky and a few years ago, Stanford and UK were in the Final Four in San Antonio. We got on the plane to go, and the Stanford fans were as obnoxious as hell "what are we gonna do after we beat Kentucky?" Well, everyone knows how that game came out - UK won. But most of the people who are Stanford fans are just proud of what tradition they have. They built a brand new stadium a couple of years ago and it's really nice, but small.

They'll probably be fine.

the_ouskull
12/11/2009, 02:15 AM
They'll probably be intimidated. Their slow, white tailback has been beating up the already poor defenses in a down year for a down conference. Maybe for once, WE'LL get to be the team dosing out reality in a bowl game.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
12/11/2009, 02:18 AM
Sorry...

For, what, twice? The third time? How many bowls HAS Stoops won, anyway. It's been so f*ckin' long since the last one, I actually HAVE forgotten.

99 - L
00 - Big W
01 - W
02 - W
03 - L
04 - L
05 - Vacated
06 - L
07 - L
08 - L
09 - ?

At this point, I really do feel like it's a toss-up. I just don't see us being able to find enough heart to beat a decent, motivated team; and, even if the rest of their team blows goats, their offensive line and their running backs drive angry.

the_ouskull

sooner59
12/11/2009, 02:28 AM
Sorry...

For, what, twice? The third time? How many bowls HAS Stoops won, anyway. It's been so f*ckin' long since the last one, I actually HAVE forgotten.

99 - L
00 - Big W
01 - W
02 - W
03 - L
04 - L
05 - Vacated
06 - L
07 - L
08 - L
09 - ?

At this point, I really do feel like it's a toss-up. I just don't see us being able to find enough heart to beat a decent, motivated team; and, even if the rest of their team blows goats, their offensive line and their running backs drive angry.

the_ouskull

2005 Holiday Bowl win over #6 Oregon "Vacated"? Since when? Last I heard, that season counted, no vacated wins. And that was a great win for a rebuilding, and very young, program. To say that game was vacated is an insult to every player to played their *** off on the field that night. This season if more like 2005 than any other season. I know injuries are different than being young, but its all about coming together at the end of the season and playing with pride.....a la OU-OSU 2009.

Leroy Lizard
12/11/2009, 02:30 AM
Why anyone favors us, I have no idea.

olevetonahill
12/11/2009, 02:48 AM
2005 Holiday Bowl win over #6 Oregon "Vacated"? Since when? Last I heard, that season counted, no vacated wins. And that was a great win for a rebuilding, and very young, program. To say that game was vacated is an insult to every player to played their *** off on the field that night. This season if more like 2005 than any other season. I know injuries are different than being young, but its all about coming together at the end of the season and playing with pride.....a la OU-OSU 2009.

PSSSST Dont tell Skull hes wrong . It will Make him lose Faith in himself .
Just Look at his Sigs and Ya Know hes all In Love with himself .:D :P