PDA

View Full Version : Letting the opposition score

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 11:21 PM
I brought this topic up after the Miami loss, as we needed to let Javaris James score on his last carry, it was our ONLY chance to get the ball back, in a presumably 8-point game.

Instead, we tackled him, and the kneeled out the clock.

A lot of people mentioned they had never seen a defense intentionally let the opposition score. I told them, it occurs almost every year, and I'd let them know when I see it again.

In the last couple weeks we've seen 3 examples of this; Notre Dame-Stanford, Cincy-Pitt, (can't recall the third, can someone help?).

We have also seen Maurice Drew intentionally go down before reaching the endzone for the Jags.

sooner59
12/7/2009, 11:25 PM
Sometimes letting the opposition score is the smarter move, because it gives you a better chance to get the ball back while saving clock.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2009, 01:07 AM
The Packers let Terrell Davis score in the super bowl. It was a tie game and they couldn't stop Davis anyway. If they do manage to tackle him a couple of times, the clock is gone and their only hope is blocking an XP range FG. Instead, they chose to put the ball in Favre's hands with over a minute remaining and it almost worked.

MI Sooner
12/8/2009, 12:58 PM
It's a standard madden move.

I had better clock management skills than these yahoos on the sidelines when i was 11.

I must have missed the part in Cinci/Pitt where a team was allowed to score. When did that happen?

rawlingsHOH
12/8/2009, 01:13 PM
It's a standard madden move.

I had better clock management skills than these yahoos on the sidelines when i was 11.

I must have missed the part in Cinci/Pitt where a team was allowed to score. When did that happen?

Cincy let Pitt score with about 1:30 left. It put Pitt up 6, and they missed the XP.

jumperstop
12/8/2009, 01:30 PM
I didn't think they let them score, I just thought cinny sucked to bad to hold them.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 01:39 PM
Oh they most definitely did let them score and it worked out...Their defense parted like the Red Sea to let them in the endzone

jumperstop
12/8/2009, 01:43 PM
Oh they most definitely did let them score and it worked out...Their defense parted like the Red Sea to let them in the endzone

I guess I was only half watching the game...

rawlingsHOH
12/8/2009, 02:08 PM
They kind went thru the motions. But offered little resistance. Can't make it obvious or the opponent might pull a Brian Westbrook.

LET 'EM SCORE? -- Pittsburgh drove to the Cincinnati 5 with under two minutes remaining and was watching the clock wind down. The Panthers handed off to Dion Lewis, who scored almost untouched and left UC with 1:36 to win the game.

It was so easy, it appeared UC let the Panthers score. Linebacker JK Schaeffer claimed after the game that wasn't the case. Kelly didn't say he did let Pitt score, but didn't deny it, either.

"That's our normal let-the-other-team-score kind of look," Kelly said with a laugh. "