PDA

View Full Version : My Son got his Driver's License Today

tulsaoilerfan
12/7/2009, 08:40 PM
Yup, my 1 and only child turned 16 10 days ago, and today was the first day he could take his test and he passed; how long before the rest of my hair turns gray? :D

OUHOMER
12/7/2009, 08:42 PM
Yup, my 1 and only child turned 16 10 days ago, and today was the first day he could take his test and he passed; how long before the rest of my hair turns gray? :D

are you kidding, it gone friday night:D

StoopTroup
12/7/2009, 08:47 PM
You haven't looked in a mirror today have you? :D ;)

OUHOMER
12/7/2009, 09:22 PM
oh and how much did your insurance go up. thats enough to give you gray hair, maybe even pull it out

Okla-homey
12/7/2009, 09:52 PM
Here's a tip. Increase liability limits and med pay on your auto policy. Reason being, 16 y/o's tend to drive several other kids around. If they get in a wreck, it'll be expensive.

Or, and this is a good idea too, insist he never have more than one friend in his car. Reason being, with more than two kids in his car, what with all the bullsh1tting, laughter and general 16 y/o boy crap, combined with texting and talking on cell phones, wrecks are far more likely.

GottaHavePride
12/8/2009, 02:07 AM
Kansas just put some interesting new laws into effect on their licenses.

At 14 you can get an instruction permit - you have to have a licensed adult (21+) in the front passenger seat at all times, and you can't use cell phones except to call 911 after an accident (or to report crime in progress).

At 15 you can get a restricted license IF you've had the instruction permit for a year. You can only drive to work or school unless you have a licensed adult in the front passenger seat. You aren't allowed to have any non-sibling minors as passengers.

At 16 you can get a low-restriction license IF you've had an instructional permit for at least a year and a parent signs an affidavit that you've completed 50 hours of driving (10 at night) with supervision. You can drive anywhere from 5am to 9pm; anytime to work, school, or school activities; or with a licensed adult. No cell phones, and only one passenger under 18 who isn't immediate family.

At 17 you can get your unrestricted license. Still have to have the 50-hour affidavit signed though.

yermom
12/8/2009, 09:28 AM
i like that...

adults are bad enough with a car full of kids

badger
12/8/2009, 10:12 AM
My parents didn't let me get my license because of the increase in the insurance. I passed drivers ed in high school, then waited till I was 21 to even get the learner's permit.

Ask NP - I'm a really bad driver :(

Wisconsin started the graduated driver's license thing around the time I was in high school, similar to the Kansas program stated above. However, This just made it so that you didn't have a real license till you were 18.

At 16, you could only have minor siblings and adults in a vehicle you drive. Same at 17. You also could not drive during certain (night!) hours and I imagine by now they've added in techie restrictions on stuff like iPods and cell phones.

At 18, you had all full driving privileges.

As far as I know, you still couldn't do the learner's permit till age 15 1/2... this of course excludes all of the farm kids that have been driving machinery and vehicles on family farms since they were 7 or so.

Sooner24
12/8/2009, 10:17 AM
Here's a tip. Increase liability limits and med pay on your auto policy. Reason being, 16 y/o's tend to drive several other kids around. If they get in a wreck, it'll be expensive.

Or, and this is a good idea too, insist he never have more than one friend in his car. Reason being, with more than two kids in his car, what with all the bullsh1tting, laughter and general 16 y/o boy crap, combined with texting and talking on cell phones, wrecks are far more likely.

I bet your post made him feel better. :D