PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs. opponent defenses

MikeInNorman
12/7/2009, 07:19 PM
The debacle of the Texas offense vs. Nebraska was no anomaly. The record shows that any time Texas has faced a defense with a pulse the results have been average at best. When Texas has faced an elite defense, it's offense has been much worse. Here are the numbers:

The defensive rankings of Texas' opponents are below, with scoring defense rank first and the total yardage defense rank second.

Louisiana Monroe: 78 / 45
Wyoming: 76 / 83
Texas Tech: 37 / 47
UTEP: 105 / 111
Colorado: 87 / 60
Oklahoma: 7 / 7
Missouri: 57 / 55
Oklahoma State: 36 / 33
Central Florida: 23 / 46
Baylor: 75 / 95
Kansas: 85 / 74
Texas A&M: 104 / 107
Nebraska: 2 / 9

Against Top 50 defenses, Texas was "meh", scoring 27 offensively at home against Tech, with 340 total yards, and 27 offensively on the road against OSU, with 275 total yards. "Offensively" means points not scored by defense or special teams. The one outlier is Central Florida, scoring 35 points and over 500 yards at home in Austin.

Against Top 10 defenses, Texas scored 16 (269 yards) against Oklahoma, and 13 (202 yards) against Nebraska. In both games, Texas was playing teams with offenses that were mediocre and injured in the case of OU, and historically awful in the case of NU. The point being, Texas had the ball a lot and could do nothing with it.

The bad news for Texas is that Alabama is 1 / 2. Well, the bad news besides Greg Davis' continued employment. Even though Bama's offense is mediocre even by SEC standards (don't be fooled by the Florida game) and Texas' defense is 8 / 3 and also an elite Top 10 defense, I don't see how the horns can score. And mediocre though Bama's offense is, it came through for 32 points and 324 yards against Florida 3 / 4.

POBR25
12/7/2009, 07:29 PM
Bama had 490 yards on Saturday. 251 Rushing and 239 Passing

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 07:32 PM
Our O may be 'mediocre' to some because we're not flashy, but we have something that Texas does not face in the pass-happy Big 12--BALANCE. We can play smashmouth on one play and come out in a spread-O formation with five wideouts on the next. We will force them to defend the whole field of play, not just the vertical pass threat 10-20 yds downfield.

Scott D
12/7/2009, 08:03 PM
Best information that can be given to the Tide defense is to find the right way to make sure the referees are positioned to call Jordan Shipley's blatant push offs.

tulsaoilerfan
12/7/2009, 08:27 PM
Over under on points scored by the Texas offense is 10

westcoast_sooner
12/8/2009, 01:37 AM
Greg Davis tends to roll over in a fetal position, suck his thumb and cry for his mommy when he plays good defenses - see OU, Nebraska 2009.

Bama did a nice job of stopping St. Tim and co. on Saturday, and I think Florida's offense is somewhat better than UT's. Overall, though, I think the game is another defensive struggle.

soonerboy
12/8/2009, 01:49 AM
Our O may be 'mediocre' to some because we're not flashy, but we have something that Texas does not face in the pass-happy Big 12--BALANCE. We can play smashmouth on one play and come out in a spread-O formation with five wideouts on the next. We will force them to defend the whole field of play, not just the vertical pass threat 10-20 yds downfield.

I thought you were talking about OU lol I was gonna ask if you had watched any game at all this year, and no one said your offense was mediocre stop making up stuff.

sooner59
12/8/2009, 02:04 AM
Bama is balanced on offense and solid on defense. Texas is one-dimensional on offense and the jury is out on the defense. Tech put up 24 on them, but they aren't the Tech of old, no matter how many they put on us. It wasn't our day. Other than that? Nada. OU pretty much shut them down, and Nebraska did a little better.

BUT.....OU and Nebraska's offense's were inept. It didn't matter who was playing on defense. It could have been Texas, it could have been Iowa State. Probably a similar conclusion.

Texas is just playing the waiting game until its 13-1 and another lost opportunity.

Widescreen
12/8/2009, 08:37 AM
I thought you were talking about OU lol I was gonna ask if you had watched any game at all this year, and no one said your offense was mediocre stop making up stuff.

Even though Bama's offense is mediocre
Yeah, Sabanball, quite making crap up!

MikeInNorman
12/8/2009, 10:41 AM

Dear Sabanball,

No disrespect intended, but the offense that scored 12 on Tennessee at home is mediocre. But that's not the point. Listen up:

WE (meaning most Oklahoma fans) want YOU (meaning Bama) to stomp a mudhole in TEXAS (meaning Lucifer). This does NOT mean that WE want YOU to come over here with that tiresome SEC crap. Oklahoma fans in general took a liking to Bama fans in general during the series earlier this decade. Even the Bama insistence that it possesses 785 national championships is usually looked at as relatively amusing, rather than infuriating. So, please put a lid on the SEC SEC stuff, and make US both happy by making Colt McCoy and Mack cry like Tebow in January.

Thanks,

MikeInNorman

Jello Biafra
12/8/2009, 10:59 AM
The debacle of the Texas offense vs. Nebraska was no anomaly. The record shows that any time Texas has faced a defense with a pulse the results have been average at best. When Texas has faced an elite defense, it's offense has been much worse. Here are the numbers:

The defensive rankings of Texas' opponents are below, with scoring defense rank first and the total yardage defense rank second.

Louisiana Monroe: 78 / 45
Wyoming: 76 / 83
Texas Tech: 37 / 47
UTEP: 105 / 111
Colorado: 87 / 60
Oklahoma: 7 / 7
Missouri: 57 / 55
Oklahoma State: 36 / 33
Central Florida: 23 / 46
Baylor: 75 / 95
Kansas: 85 / 74
Texas A&M: 104 / 107
Nebraska: 2 / 9

Against Top 50 defenses, Texas was "meh", scoring 27 offensively at home against Tech, with 340 total yards, and 27 offensively on the road against OSU, with 275 total yards. "Offensively" means points not scored by defense or special teams. The one outlier is Central Florida, scoring 35 points and over 500 yards at home in Austin.

Against Top 10 defenses, Texas scored 16 (269 yards) against Oklahoma, and 13 (202 yards) against Nebraska. In both games, Texas was playing teams with offenses that were mediocre and injured in the case of OU, and historically awful in the case of NU. The point being, Texas had the ball a lot and could do nothing with it.

The bad news for Texas is that Alabama is 1 / 2. Well, the bad news besides Greg Davis' continued employment. Even though Bama's offense is mediocre even by SEC standards (don't be fooled by the Florida game) and Texas' defense is 8 / 3 and also an elite Top 10 defense, I don't see how the horns can score. And mediocre though Bama's offense is, it came through for 32 points and 324 yards against Florida 3 / 4.

i would like to point out that had our offense held on to the ball a mere 2 more minutes per game, we would have been hella higher than 7/7

Sasakwa
12/8/2009, 11:42 AM
I'm too lazy to do the reasearch, but I would expect that to be true for almost every team. IOW, doesn't Iowa score less points when they face a good defense, doesn't Jenks score less when they play a good defense, didn't NFL teams score less when they played the Ravens (back when they had an awesome defense?

Sure, sometimes a team will have a great day against a stout defense, but I would expect that trend to be relatively true for all teams.

Jello Biafra
12/8/2009, 11:48 AM
I'm too lazy to do the reasearch, but I would expect that to be true for almost every team. IOW, doesn't Iowa score less points when they face a good defense, doesn't Jenks score less when they play a good defense, didn't NFL teams score less when they played the Ravens (back when they had an awesome defense?

Sure, sometimes a team will have a great day against a stout defense, but I would expect that trend to be relatively true for all teams.

you talking to me or.....

sooneron
12/8/2009, 11:52 AM
Dear Sabanball,

No disrespect intended, but the offense that scored 12 on Tennessee at home is mediocre. But that's not the point. Listen up:

I hate to break the news to you, but tenn is a very good team on the defensive side of the ball. They built the blueprint for how to scheme against Ufla.

MikeInNorman
12/8/2009, 12:13 PM
I hate to break the news to you, but tenn is a very good team on the defensive side of the ball. They built the blueprint for how to scheme against Ufla.

They're ranked 27, a little better than OSU and Tech, not close to Top 10 status.

Jacie
12/8/2009, 12:55 PM
Best information that can be given to the Tide defense is to find the right way to make sure the referees are positioned to call Jordan Shipley's blatant push offs.

. . . or chop blocks and holding by the whorn offensive line.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/8/2009, 01:15 PM
They're ranked 27, a little better than OSU and Tech, not close to Top 10 status.
THAT AIN'T FAIR!
IT'S THE SEC OFFENSES!!!!!

olevetonahill
12/8/2009, 02:05 PM
Even though Bama's offense is mediocre even by SEC standards (don't be fooled by the Florida game) and Texas' defense is 8 / 3 and also an elite Top 10 defense, I don't see how the horns can score. And mediocre though Bama's offense is, it came through for 32 points and 324 yards against Florida 3 / 4.

Says right cher that Bammas O is Mediocre

Readin compression Probs ?:D :D

olevetonahill
12/8/2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, Sabanball, quite making crap up!

Guess I should read the whole thread before I smart off :O :D

NormanPride
12/8/2009, 02:08 PM
You just need to fill up on natty. Then you won't care if you repeat others. :D

olevetonahill
12/8/2009, 02:11 PM
You just need to fill up on natty. Then you won't care if you repeat others. :D

:D :D :D :D :D

TXBOOMER
12/8/2009, 02:14 PM

Power football right at them to set up the play action and you will dominate them. Bama has the hosses to do it. Great special teams and an attack defense and Colt should throw at least one or two pick sixes to your D as well. Bama 38 texass 13. Big 12 officals won't be around to save texass.