PDA

View Full Version : iPod v. any other MP3 player.

SunnySooner
12/7/2009, 10:02 AM
So my son wants an iPod for Christmas, and I am totally ignorant--any opinions on whether the iPod is the best deal, or is there another player you like better. Seems like iPod is the most compatible with all the accessories, but what do I know. Any advice would be great, don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. THANKS!!!!!

setem
12/7/2009, 10:21 AM
I have had 3 ipods in my days and I have loved all of them. One of the drawback to owning one is the fact that everyone wants one and if given the opportunity they will get stolen! I have had all 3 stolen from me in way or another!

They have some pretty neat functions on them besides just holding music. You can use them like a usb drive to store various kinds of documents. The new nano's have a camcorder in them. The playback on them is impeccable even with some lousy downloads that are out there but if he does go the legal rout as far as downloads he will not have any problems with quality because of iTunes Store.

The itouch has games and apps galore. My nephew can text message from his.

If he wants functions then he should go the touch or nano rout, touch being the better of the two but it is your choice. But if he wants super storage for lots of music the Classics are where it is as. I had a 160gig(no one should ever get that big) but I loved it until the day it was swiped from my buddies house!

Pick one and he will be happy with it, I promise!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/7/2009, 10:51 AM
My wife just gave me the ZuneHD for Christmas. This thing is awesome and it isn't an Ipod. It also has a HD video player and a radio/HD radio tuner. Graphics are fantastic.

yermom
12/7/2009, 11:20 AM
i'll second the iPod

i'm thinking the Classic is more rugged than the iPod Touch, but you can download games for the Touch. it shares apps with the iPhone

SeattleOUstudent
12/7/2009, 11:23 AM
If you dont have WiFi, the Touch isnt the best idea. Just go with the classic. Otherwise, if you do have wifi, the Touch would be much cooler for him.

soonerinabilene
12/8/2009, 06:02 PM
The only drawback to the ipod is it (unless they have fixed it with the latest versions) only does one way transfers, meaning that you can put music on the ipod, but you cant plug said ipod into another computer and import mp3s from it. Creative Zen is the best mp3 player ive ever had. played video in almost any format instead of just mp4s, a built in fm tuner with recording ability, and a bigger screen. when it finally broke i tried to replace it and couldnt find one anywhere.

Crucifax Autumn
12/8/2009, 06:48 PM
http://us.store.creative.com/ZEN-XFi2-32GB/M/B002NKLRF2.htm

That's the one I'd buy. Probably not as durable as the Zen Stones I bought the whole family awhile back though. My daughter's has been through the washer and dryer multiple times and still works and never lost the music on it!

SunnySooner
12/8/2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks, y'all, appreciate the advice!!