PDA

View Full Version : Saban, Best in College football ?

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 09:02 AM
Is he ? Probably..

jduggle
12/7/2009, 09:20 AM
Best defensive mind in the game.

OUmillenium
12/7/2009, 09:25 AM
Definitely, rebuilt LSU and Lester is tearing it down. Rebuilt Bama in the same short time period. wow

Soonerman08
12/7/2009, 10:15 AM
I guess the meeting he and Stoops had in the beginning of the season paid off. I wouldn't be surprised if Stoops has some meetings with Saban to discuss Texas.

SoonerMavrick25
12/7/2009, 10:22 AM
Is there a Yes button? I just clicked it.

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 10:22 AM
I guess the meeting he and Stoops had in the beginning of the season paid off. I wouldn't be surprised if Stoops has some meetings with Saban to discuss Texas.

The meeting paid off ? We had a bad season I don't know where you get that.. Ah, We lost to texas..

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 10:25 AM
Best defensive mind in the game.

Well, I am saying best head coach probably but who knows ? Mike Stoops is the best defensive coach in the country IMO.. Just look at the 2000 NC game.. Florida st. was averaging something like 42 points a game and their offense didn't score a point NOT ONE POINT.. Ya can't get any better than that..

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 10:45 AM
Is he ? Probably..

Remember when Utah was running up and down the field on them, in the Sugar Bowl?

He's a great coach. And very popular today after blowing out Florida, two days ago.

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 10:47 AM
Well, I am saying best head coach probably but who knows ? Mike Stoops is the best defensive coach in the country IMO.. Just look at the 2000 NC game.. Florida st. was averaging something like 42 points a game and their offense didn't score a point NOT ONE POINT.. Ya can't get any better than that..

Another good coach. But to crown any of them is frankly quite silly.

PLaw
12/7/2009, 11:09 AM
The meeting paid off ? We had a bad season I don't know where you get that.. Ah, We lost to texas..

The season's outcome was not because of the defense.

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 11:19 AM

I agree..

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 11:26 AM

I agree with that but it is sorta fun to look at them all and give and get opinions...

TUSooner
12/7/2009, 11:26 AM
Not perfect, but best, IMHO.

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2009, 11:35 AM
^^^ This

yermom
12/7/2009, 11:38 AM

the only team to stop Texas better than we did was Nebraska

even then, we gift wrapped points for their offense

of course, so did they at the end

sooneron
12/7/2009, 11:43 AM
If he wins the NC with bama (which I believe will happen easily), he will have done it with two schools within 7 years, which is highly impressive. So, yes, probably the best. I say probably because I need to see him sustain some level of greatness for more than a couple of years. THAT is the tough part.

SteelClip49
12/7/2009, 11:47 AM
Saban is on the verge of becoming the first coach to win 2 national titles at different programs in the same conference on top of that.

mehip
12/7/2009, 11:48 AM
I think it is pretty hard to call anyone the 'Best'. But, I do think he is damn good. It would be wild to see if he shoots for the trifecta and moves to another school and recruits them a title as well.

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 11:49 AM
the only team to stop Texas better than we did was Nebraska

even then, we gift wrapped points for their offense

of course, so did they at the end

Comparing OU to NU vs Texas...

Yards allowed:
OU 269
NU 202

Yards per pass:
OU 3.2
NU 5.1

Yards per rush:
OU 3.6
NU 0.5

Takeaways:
OU 3
NU 3

3rd downs:
OU 5-for-19
NU 6-for-19

Points allowed:
OU 16
NU 13

murray1430
12/7/2009, 11:52 AM
I heard Saban speak at a clinic and I think he is one of the best if not the best. He was also down to earth and seemed that way a lot more than most of the other coaches speaking. Such as Davis OC from Texas, the DC from Boise State, and even Leach had an arrogance about him. It was either arrogance or the fact he never smiled and seemed to always have a look like he is constipated. Dont get me wrong I really like Leach he is a good coach and I enjoy his interviews and stories.

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 12:09 PM
If this question was asked last Monday, Urban Meyer would be everyone's choice.

Everybody loves a winner.

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2009, 12:15 PM
If this question was asked last Monday, Urban Meyer would be everyone's choice.

Everybody loves a winner.
Urban has a TON of talent at UF...it is stupid the number of kids who are going to UF with 4 and 5 stars that run like the wind

Saban has a fair amount of talent too...just not as much as Urban. That very well may change in the future, it is easy to pull a kid into your program when you have the history of an Alabama, OU, Meatchicken, etc. etc. AND you are winning games.

I have never been a big fan of Urban's so that may have something to do with it, but I would have said Saban even last week...but your right...most probably would have said Urban

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 01:16 PM
We're already getting the bronze for his statue, haven't you heard? Lol.

Seriously, he's definitely in the top 3. Your man is also, along with Pete Carroll, IMHO. After that, it get's debatable.

Here he is schooling Jesse Palmer and the other goofballs on ESPN yesterday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f2kmsSRtsA&feature=player_embedded

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 01:35 PM
I don't think you can make a top 3 without considering Chris Peterson

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 01:46 PM
I don't think you can make a top 3 without considering Chris Peterson

CP is a great coach, IMO, but I don't think he's better than Stoops, Saban, or even Pete Carroll, when you consider their whole body of work. For that matter, he wouldn't even be in my top 5.

yermom
12/7/2009, 01:59 PM
he really just continued what Hawkins did there too though.

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 02:07 PM
Some others I'd put over CP--Jim Tressel, Mack Brown, and Urban Meyer.

SoonerGirl1201
12/7/2009, 02:20 PM
So did Saban win the NC at LSU his second year there? If so, and he wins the NC his 2nd year at Alabama - I think you have to say he is the best at rebuilding good programs and making them great.

He, however, needs to stay in college. He is not a good Pro coach obviously.

FaninAma
12/7/2009, 02:27 PM
Saban and his defensive staff will absolutely dominate Greg Davis and the UT offense.

Without a running game the short passing game UT thrives on will be shut completely down by Bama.

TXBOOMER
12/7/2009, 02:35 PM

If he adds another NC to his resume at 2 schools in such a short period it would be hard to say anyone is better IMHO.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 02:46 PM
he really just continued what Hawkins did there too though.

I would say he has built on it....I think the guy is underrated as a recruiter..

Look at the team he fielded in his first season against this season...They are faster, stronger, and have probably 3 times the nfl potential talent that they had when he got there....

This team was not on top of its game when Peterson took over...Possibly Hawkins worst season was his last there..They lost their bowl game and finished unranked...He really had no signature wins either

48-4 on any team in division 1 football is darn impressive....

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 02:48 PM
Some others I'd put over CP--Jim Tressel, Mack Brown, and Urban Meyer.

I'll have to disagree on all of em...the only maybe is Meyer because of what he accomplished at Utah and Florida

Scott D
12/7/2009, 02:58 PM
I would say he has built on it....I think the guy is underrated as a recruiter..

Look at the team he fielded in his first season against this season...They are faster, stronger, and have probably 3 times the nfl potential talent that they had when he got there....

This team was not on top of its game when Peterson took over...Possibly Hawkins worst season was his last there..They lost their bowl game and finished unranked...He really had no signature wins either

48-4 on any team in division 1 football is darn impressive....

calling most of that conference division 1 is being generous, and we both know it. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 03:01 PM
Right, but again, something has to be said about a coach and team that wins the games it is supposed to...

TopDawg
12/7/2009, 03:09 PM
Stoops and Saban are the only active coaches with 10+ years head-coaching experience and no losing seasons.

josh09
12/7/2009, 03:20 PM
Is he ? Probably..

I think this year, yes, but it can change every year.

Best coaches in the game today:

Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Les Miles
Bob Stoops
Pete Carroll
Mack Brown
Jim Tressel
Gary Patterson
Randy Shannon
Chris Petersen

IMO these are the elite in college football right now.

yermom
12/7/2009, 03:31 PM
Kelly at Natti is pretty impressive

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 03:35 PM
So did Saban win the NC at LSU his second year there? If so, and he wins the NC his 2nd year at Alabama - I think you have to say he is the best at rebuilding good programs and making them great.

I think you are way off in your years. Saban was at LSU well prior to 2003.

And I think he is currently in his 3rd season at Alabama.

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 03:39 PM
Saban took the LSU job in November of 1999. So the 2003 season was his 4th.

He took the Bama job in January of 2007. So this season is his 3rd.

TexasLidig8r
12/7/2009, 03:40 PM
Saban and his defensive staff will absolutely dominate Greg Davis and the UT offense.

Without a running game the short passing game UT thrives on will be shut completely down by Bama.

Give Pete Carroll a month to prepare.. and he can beat anybody.

And. .they have TWO Hypesman winners.

And they are unstoppable. In fact, they have the best team in the history of God.. or since Caesar crossed the Rubicon and marched on Rome.

oh wait...

Doomed..

We are DOOMED I TELL YOU!!

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 03:46 PM
Give Pete Carroll a month to prepare.. and he can beat anybody.

And they are unstoppable. In fact, they have the best team in the history of God.. or since Caesar crossed the Rubicon and marched on Rome.

oh wait...

Doomed..

We are DOOMED I TELL YOU!!

lol its a bunch different right now and YOU know it. if it wasn't for vince "bygod" young, you guys would have been trounced by suc. and if it hadn't been for the jacked up call on vince young being down....etc..etc

anyway, laugh it up titilator, the NC is drawing nigh and the bell that tolls is the one counting down the last breath of your pathetic offense.

TexasLidig8r
12/7/2009, 03:52 PM
lol its a bunch different right now and YOU know it. if it wasn't for vince "bygod" young, you guys would have been trounced by suc. and if it hadn't been for the jacked up call on vince young being down....etc..etc

anyway, laugh it up titilator, the NC is drawing nigh and the bell that tolls is the one counting down the last breath of your pathetic offense.

Strange.. I thought it was the 20 other players from that team who are now playing in the NFL.

Although I do have to acknowledge your prowess in watching your team be humiliated in national championship games. That is something with which I have no experience and to which something you are obviously, very accustomed :D .

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 04:00 PM

All the HYPE in the world isn't going to save McCoy this year!

TopDawg
12/7/2009, 04:38 PM
Strange.. I thought it was the 20 other players from that team who are now playing in the NFL.

You're right...it IS strange that you'd think that.

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 04:44 PM
I'll have to disagree on all of em...the only maybe is Meyer because of what he accomplished at Utah and Florida

How can you when Mack and Jim have both won a NC and Peterson has never even played for one?:confused:

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 04:46 PM

He won the BCS championship in his 4th year at LSU, but USC was awarded the AP title. Just thought I'd throw that in because some of you on this board dont seem to think a claimed NC is legit unless it's awarded by the almighty Associated Press...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 04:51 PM
How can you when Mack and Jim have both won a NC and Peterson has never even played for one?:confused:

How many opportunities has he been given?

Its not like he isn't playing for them because his team is underperforming...

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 04:52 PM

Although I do have to acknowledge your prowess in watching your team be humiliated in national championship games. That is something with which I have no experience and to which something you are obviously, very accustomed :D .

yep. typical. just redirect. so the 200+ yards rushing the iq man had was of no consequence?

TexasLidig8r
12/7/2009, 05:01 PM
yep. typical. just redirect. so the 200+ yards rushing the iq man had was of no consequence?

No redirection at all. (I'm typing this very slowly with the hopes you will better understand it.)

Vince was transcendent that night. That's what great players are supposed to be in national championship games. The two Thorp Award winners and 20 other NFL players on the Texas roster that night also had something to do with it.

JLEW1818
12/7/2009, 05:05 PM
i think Mack Brown and his 2 conference titles in 25 years as a head coach takes the prize ....

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 05:07 PM
No redirection at all. (I'm typing this very slowly with the hopes you will better understand it.)

Vince was transcendent that night. That's what great players are supposed to be in national championship games. The two Thorp Award winners and 20 other NFL players on the Texas roster that night also had something to do with it.

and a comedian to boot. nope, As i recall, little to nothing was working that evening so the rain man took the ball under his wing and began running for his life. see, all he was ever able to do was create the pass from rolling out. im not bashing him for anything other than the fact you guys( whore fans) think that you guys have descended from football gods when in fact, you simply get the breaks that are needed to win a nc. we call this sooner magic and we openly admit to having it. you guys just claim "its us. thats how we roll" (thumping your chests wildly) stick that in your O-ring and suck it. look, you may be a hella lawyer but, you suck at football and i suspect it has something to do with your diminutive stature. you stick to your side of the law and ill stick to mine. you hack.

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 05:29 PM
How many opportunities has he been given?

Its not like he isn't playing for them because his team is underperforming...

....and he probably never will until Boise upgrades their nonconference schedules in coming years, which rumor has it that they are going to try and do...

JLEW1818
12/7/2009, 05:30 PM
they have beat Oregon back to back years, home and away

just aint gonna happen in that conference

Scott D
12/7/2009, 05:30 PM
....and he probably never will until Boise upgrades their conference schedules in coming years, which rumor has it that they should spend time trying to do...

fixed.

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 05:47 PM
they have beat Oregon back to back years, home and away

just aint gonna happen in that conference

That is Boise's problem, they want home-and-home's with everyone.

They need to recognize that isn't going to happen. USC ain't going to Boise. And if they ever want a shot at a NC, they better accept more deals like their one-game shot in Athens to play Georgia, a few years back.

Fresno did it, back at the begining of the decade. Florida State did it back in the 70s/80s.

JLEW1818
12/7/2009, 05:48 PM
true

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 05:51 PM
Agreed.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 07:30 PM
To me whether they play for it or not, he still is one of the top coaches.. Urban Meyer didn't become a great coach when he came to Florida.. He was already one at Utah..

The school wants home and away because they feel like they deserve that kind of respect.. Cincy wanted that from Oklahoma and they got it..

Scott D
12/7/2009, 07:59 PM
To me whether they play for it or not, he still is one of the top coaches.. Urban Meyer didn't become a great coach when he came to Florida.. He was already one at Utah..

The school wants home and away because they feel like they deserve that kind of respect.. Cincy wanted that from Oklahoma and they got it..

Cincy can at least point to being in a BCS Conference. Peterson should be putting more pressure on the Boise St. brass to get out of the Division I-AA reject conference they are in, and into the Mountain West. Truth be told, sitting with the scraps of the WAC that the Mountain West didn't want isn't ever going to help their standing..it'd be like taking the Sunbelt Conference seriously as wanting to be equal to the 'big boys', and the only "Mid-Major" that is going to get that consideration these days is the Mountain West.

TXBOOMER
12/7/2009, 08:00 PM

VY took your other players and coaches out of that game late. Best individual performance on a grand stage ever. Sure you had good players but VY brought that one home. You are making yourself sound more foolish than usual if you argue otherwise. I guarantee 20 of the 22 starters that night are not in the league. Don't be counting non-contributors that later got in the league that is a BS statement.

Partial Qualifier
12/7/2009, 08:04 PM

One trip in -- 40 years? This will make two trips and although I wouldn't put anything past Colt McCoy, that whole "Gawl Dang, nobody thanks we can win -- JUST LAHK 2005!!" isn't the cincher you're hoping it is.

Come back and let us know how that turns out.

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 08:05 PM
Cincy can at least point to being in a BCS Conference. Peterson should be putting more pressure on the Boise St. brass to get out of the Division I-AA reject conference they are in, and into the Mountain West. Truth be told, sitting with the scraps of the WAC that the Mountain West didn't want isn't ever going to help their standing..it'd be like taking the Sunbelt Conference seriously as wanting to be equal to the 'big boys', and the only "Mid-Major" that is going to get that consideration these days is the Mountain West.

Good point, and basically the same gist of my earlier comments. CP has accomplished a lot--so did Eddie Robinson, but that doesn't mean he was ever the best coach in college football, or ever even in the top 5 at any one time. Put Nick Saban or Bob Stoops in his place with his schedule and they'd do him one better at least.

Until they start playing more than just one token good team a year, they are simply not going to get street cred that they think they deserve.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 08:27 PM
If bob stoops, nick saban, or pick your coach were coaching Boise state would they be better than what they are now? I doubt it..

How many games has he lost that he had superior athletes to the opposition? Now how about the coaches he doesn't deserve to be mentioned with?

Chris Peterson has no say so over what conference he is in btw.. all he can do is keep winning all his games

Sooner04
12/7/2009, 08:34 PM
When you prop up Saban, don't forget about the success he had at Michigan State. His last team in East Lansing finished in the top ten (I think it was '99).

The dude's a phenomenal coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 08:46 PM
Agreed

Sabanball
12/7/2009, 08:46 PM
If bob stoops, nick saban, or pick your coach were coaching Boise state would they be better than what they are now? I doubt it..

How many games has he lost that he had superior athletes to the opposition? Now how about the coaches he doesn't deserve to be mentioned with?

Chris Peterson has no say so over what conference he is in btw.. all he can do is keep winning all his games

I think we've ran this into the ground. Chris is a great coach--I don't think anyone has denied that, or what Boise has accomplished. Most of us remember the Fiesta Bowl from few years back...and I know that must not be one of your most favorite memories as a Sooner...;) But...at the very least, whether he is a current 'top 3' or 'top 5' coach is open to opinion and debate, and a decisive majority would probably not put him in the top 3. I think we can safely leave it at that...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 08:53 PM
If you think this has been ran into the ground, you must be new:)

anybody top 5 or 10 list of anything is open for debate..I just prefer to think outside of the box such as my talking spiller for heisman.. There are other players and coaches outside of what TV media pushes down our throats

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 09:02 PM
I think this year, yes, but it can change every year.

Best coaches in the game today:

Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Les Miles
Bob Stoops
Pete Carroll
Mack Brown
Jim Tressel
Gary Patterson
Randy Shannon
Chris Petersen

IMO these are the elite in college football right now.

My choice as the best in college football is Bill Snyder.. He IS the very best my friend..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 09:08 PM
My choice as the best in college football is Bill Snyder.. He IS the very best my friend..

I couldn't disagree more..

Btw sabanball, I was on here months ago singing the praises of saban because he replaced several offensive lineman, a quarterback, runningback, and TE and all he has done this season is win

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 09:09 PM
My top 5

Snyder

Saban

Petersen

Brown

Tie between Bob and Mike Stoops

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 09:11 PM
Why mike stoops

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 09:11 PM
I couldn't disagree more..

Btw sabanball, I was on here months ago singing the praises of saban because he replaced several offensive lineman, a quarterback, runningback, and TE and all he has done this season is win

Even Barry Switzer said the job that Snyder did at K State is probably the best coaching job he has ever seen.. BTW, Barry was the best EVER IMO..

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 09:18 PM
Why mike stoops

All you have to do is remember what he did as a DC at OU and then you have no choice to admit he is A FANTASTIC defensive coach.. Then look at Az.. I don't know that there are 3 coaches in America that could win at Az. seriously, Given what he had when he took Az. over.. the guy didn't have a chance yet he has brought them around pretty well.. What do you think he would do at an OU or a USC or a TX. Or Bama ? The guy is AWESOME.. I think Mike is a much better motivator than Bob and just as good as a coach.. Mike brings fire with him he fires up the team do not discount his importance in the 2000 NC game.. He was the catalyst as a coach.. Fl. averaging 42 points a game or something like that yet their offense didn't score.. WOW !! Do not underestimate Mike Stoops as a coach..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 09:24 PM
Kstate football birthed in the early 90s as a direct result of the sanctions against ou and osu in the late 80s early 90s as well as texas sucking..Kansas wasn't gonna out recruit nor was Missouri... I do think he was/ is a good coach and was excellent at finding good assistants..

Only one conference championship in all his years of coaching

TXBOOMER
12/7/2009, 09:25 PM
All you have to do is remember what he did as a DC at OU and then you have no choice to admit he is A FANTASTIC defensive coach.. Then look at Az.. I don't know that there are 3 coaches in America that could win at Az. seriously, Given what he had when he took Az. over.. the guy didn't have a chance yet he has brought them around pretty well.. What do you think he would do at an OU or a USC or a TX. Or Bama ? The guy is AWESOME.. I think Mike is a much better motivator than Bob and just as good as a coach.. Mike brings fire with him he fires up the team do not discount his importance in the 2000 NC game.. He was the catalyst as a coach.. Fl. averaging 42 points a game or something like that yet their offense didn't score.. WOW !! Do not underestimate Mike Stoops as a coach..

Mike is a good coach but certainly hasn't proven he is one of the tops in the country. Recruiting is part of it. He is a Pac 10 upper middle buster. Not saying he couldn't have success at a big program but there are no guarantees.

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 09:30 PM
Kstate football birthed in the early 90s as a direct result of the sanctions against ou and osu in the late 80s early 90s as well as texas sucking..Kansas wasn't gonna out recruit nor was Missouri... I do think he was/ is a good coach and was excellent at finding good assistants..

Only one conference championship in all his years of coaching

Yes, ONLY ONE CC AT KSTATE.. How many coaches have done that ? KState was THE DOORMAT of college football They truly were.. No, He can coach it wasn't just that OU and couple more teams were down.. A huge part of being a great head coach is the ability to pick great assistants.. Switzer did it Snyder did it Tom Osborne did it and Bob did it when he took over OU.. Same can be said for Saban at Bama.. What Snyder did at Kstate was truly amazing indeed I didn't think anyone questioned that.. We all talk about what a great job BOB did when he brought OU back but we weren't near as far down as Kstate was and we had great athletes on campus Snyder didn't.. What Snyder was so much more admirable although I hate KState I have to admire a great job done by a talented coach..

sooneron
12/7/2009, 09:40 PM

You mean the "Thorpe" winners (spell his almighty's name correctly on a Sooner board you despicable whorn) that allowed usc to score 38 points in a shootout? I'll give you the fact that you guys beat them when we laid an egg the year before, but that usc defense was a mere shadow of it's previous self in 04.
Dude, Radio is the reason you guys won that game. Radio and radio alone...

It is truly sad that we have a rational conversation going on here about the best coaches in the NCAA and you come in here and fag it up as usual. :rolleyes:

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 09:43 PM
Mike is a good coach but certainly hasn't proven he is one of the tops in the country. Recruiting is part of it. He is a Pac 10 upper middle buster. Not saying he couldn't have success at a big program but there are no guarantees.

There are never any guarantees.. Thats what makes the job he has done at Zona so impressive.. I will bet ya most people thought Mike would fail there but he is bringing them around.. Your right no guarantees for sure.. We all thought our Sooners would be playing for a NC but we are going to the S U N bowl.. If you had told me that back in the spring I wouldn't have believed you.. If it is that hard to win big at OU just imagine how hard it is at Az.. Mike is the real deal..

sooneron
12/7/2009, 09:50 PM
There are never any guarantees.. Thats what makes the job he has done at Zona so impressive.. I will bet ya most people thought Mike would fail there but he is bringing them around.. Your right no guarantees for sure.. We all thought our Sooners would be playing for a NC but we are going to the S U N bowl.. If you had told me that back in the spring I wouldn't have believed you.. If it is that hard to win big at OU just imagine how hard it is at Az.. Mike is the real deal..

Dude, you need to step back for a sec and take a look at the pac 10 as a whole this year. There is no stand out great team. I love Mike and I wish him the best, but usc is not that good, and the rest of that conf are inconsistent at winning. Oregon is good, but you never know what team is going to show up - and they beat Az.
Mike needs a couple of 10 win seasons before he's heralded as great or anything as close.

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 10:07 PM
Dude, you need to step back for a sec and take a look at the pac 10 as a whole this year. There is no stand out great team. I love Mike and I wish him the best, but usc is not that good, and the rest of that conf are inconsistent at winning. Oregon is good, but you never know what team is going to show up - and they beat Az.
Mike needs a couple of 10 win seasons before he's heralded as great or anything as close.

Sorry, I disagree.. The pac 10 is still pretty strong.. How many pac 10 teams could we beat ? Mike has done well especially well considering he is at Zona.. Ya know, We might beat all the pac 10 teams if we could play them in Norman.. Mike beat USC at THEIR HOUSE.. I SERIOUSLY doubt Bob would be doing any better at Zona do you think he would ? Do you consider Bob a great coach ?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 10:15 PM
Yes, ONLY ONE CC AT KSTATE.. How many coaches have done that ? KState was THE DOORMAT of college football They truly were.. No, He can coach it wasn't just that OU and couple more teams were down.. A huge part of being a great head coach is the ability to pick great assistants.. Switzer did it Snyder did it Tom Osborne did it and Bob did it when he took over OU.. Same can be said for Saban at Bama.. What Snyder did at Kstate was truly amazing indeed I didn't think anyone questioned that.. We all talk about what a great job BOB did when he brought OU back but we weren't near as far down as Kstate was and we had great athletes on campus Snyder didn't.. What Snyder was so much more admirable although I hate KState I have to admire a great job done by a talented coach..

look at the other side of it then.. As those programs began to rebuild steam, the kstate recruiting classes went down..as did their record..Blame ron prince if you want, but snyder left him nothing..

There was a obvious pattern with their rise and with their fall and it's ok you refuse to see it that way

sooneron
12/7/2009, 10:15 PM
A couple of teams beat usc at their house. It has been happening as of late. Mike has done a good job, but this is not the pac 10 where there is a solid team that whips everyone. Mike just tied what? three teams for second place? It's sort of like the Big lEast this year. I love Kelly at Cincy, but there is not Louisville or WV or even Rutgers this year. A scamp-ish Pitt team and Cincy. Every conference was down this year. Measuring Az or anyone that does well back in the pack in 09 should be taken with a grain of salt. Do I think Bob would be doing better at Tucson? I have no idea, its a stupid question as it's somewhat irrelevant. I doubt Mike is better than Bob as Mike had a LOT of growing up to do when he left OU.

Curly Bill
12/7/2009, 11:52 PM
I'm not reading all the posts in between the first one and mine, so I'll just say: Yes.

boomermagic
12/8/2009, 10:14 AM
look at the other side of it then.. As those programs began to rebuild steam, the kstate recruiting classes went down..as did their record..Blame ron prince if you want, but snyder left him nothing..

There was a obvious pattern with their rise and with their fall and it's ok you refuse to see it that way

I don't refuse to see and understand what you are saying and I will admit that may have had a LITTLE{Very little} to do with it IMO but at the same time give credit where it is due Step.. Snyder is a hellova coach and did the seemingly impossible.. No one else did it there but him and many good coaches tried.. That speaks volumes..

sooneron
12/8/2009, 10:18 AM
I don't refuse to see and understand what you are saying and I will admit that may have had a LITTLE{Very little} to do with it IMO but at the same time give credit where it is due Step.. Snyder is a hellova coach and did the seemingly impossible.. No one else did it there but him and many good coaches tried.. That speaks volumes..

It may speak volumes, but the following statement does as well-

Timing is EVERYTHING.

boomermagic
12/8/2009, 10:28 AM
Snyder was one of the nation's most successful coaches from 1993 through 2003, leading the Wildcats to at least nine victories in eight straight seasons and 10 times during that 11-season span. Snyder led the Wildcats to at least 10 victories seven times during his tenure -- the only time that has ever happened in school history.

He led the Wildcats to 11 straight bowl appearances from 1993-2003.

The turnaround caught the attention of people across college football.

Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer has stated that he was as impressed with Snyder's work as any in recent college history. "Hell," Switzer said. "He's not the coach of the year or the coach of the decade. Bill is the coach of the century."

That says it all ! If you or anyone else REFUSE to see that I don't know what to say.. I'll stick with Barry Switzers opinion..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 10:32 AM

The guy did a tremendous job there, for sure...It just doesn't seem as impossible to me as you I guess due to the state of the conference and texas at that time..Not to mention the Bill Snyder method of non conference scheduling...Looking through there history, I don't see the good coaches either...The guy that he replaced,Stan Parrish, just took a 12 win Ball State and won a single game this season..

If he does it again, then I'll be more impressed than what he did the first time around.

SGT Park3R
12/8/2009, 10:33 AM
I'll put him up there in the top 2 or 3 when they spank Texa$$. But not until then.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 10:33 AM
Snyder was one of the nation's most successful coaches from 1993 through 2003, leading the Wildcats to at least nine victories in eight straight seasons and 10 times during that 11-season span. Snyder led the Wildcats to at least 10 victories seven times during his tenure -- the only time that has ever happened in school history.

He led the Wildcats to 11 straight bowl appearances from 1993-2003.

The turnaround caught the attention of people across college football.

Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer has stated that he was as impressed with Snyder's work as any in recent college history. "Hell," Switzer said. "He's not the coach of the year or the coach of the decade. Bill is the coach of the century."

That says it all ! If you or anyone else REFUSE to see that I don't know what to say.. I'll stick with Barry Switzers opinion..

Yeah because Barry Switzer made comments to the extreme

boomermagic
12/8/2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah because Barry Switzer made comments to the extreme

Now, Come on now.. Ease up on the KING...:) We will agree to disagree..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 10:42 AM
Oh I love Barry...But Barry could take a 90 degree day and make it the hottest damn day of his life...its gotta be at least 112!

boomermagic
12/8/2009, 10:49 AM
Oh I love Barry...But Barry could take a 90 degree day and make it the hottest damn day of his life...its gotta be at least 112!

Yep, But he could take a football team and WIN WIN WIN !!!!! He put a winner on the field and I love to listen to him talk.. As I said he is my alltime favorite and the very best ever IMO..

One last thing on Snyder.. I think if he is not too old and can still recruit he will have Kstate competing well and they will again be someone you don't just look past.. We had our problems with him this year although we won.. I respect your opinion step although I think I am right.. Have a good day..

Funky G
12/8/2009, 01:01 PM

You are not used to it, as you watch your rival play in the game. You will, however, be used to it by Jan. 8.

RedstickSooner
12/8/2009, 02:36 PM
Saban is a machine -- his recruiting ability is either tops in the country, or second only to Stinky Pete. Pile on top of that his ability to manage his coaching staff and keep his programs on the track, and yeah... He's the best there is. He may not inspire fear or awe the way some coaches do, but if he's your head coach, you know your program will routinely play at an elite level. And that's a heckuva thing.

Skip Bertman (athletic director at LSU) is the world's greatest fool for not meeting Saban's salary demands. And, as it has for years, I'm absolutely gobsmacked that LSU fans choose to vent at Saban rather than Skip, when it's entirely Skip's fault.

Soonerman08
12/8/2009, 03:50 PM

They met to discuss how to defend Florida.

TUSooner
12/8/2009, 04:36 PM
Saban is a machine -- his recruiting ability is either tops in the country, or second only to Stinky Pete. Pile on top of that his ability to manage his coaching staff and keep his programs on the track, and yeah... He's the best there is. He may not inspire fear or awe the way some coaches do, but if he's your head coach, you know your program will routinely play at an elite level. And that's a heckuva thing.

Skip Bertman (athletic director at LSU) is the world's greatest fool for not meeting Saban's salary demands. And, as it has for years, I'm absolutely gobsmacked that LSU fans choose to vent at Saban rather than Skip, when it's entirely Skip's fault.

Agreed !

Saban will drop a few notches if he doesn't spank +exas, though.

GeorgiaTider
12/8/2009, 06:03 PM
If he wins the NC with bama (which I believe will happen easily), he will have done it with two schools within 7 years, which is highly impressive. So, yes, probably the best. I say probably because I need to see him sustain some level of greatness for more than a couple of years. THAT is the tough part.

I agree with you. While I am very happy to have him as our coach, I want to see what he does after being at a school for more than a few years.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2009, 06:06 PM
But, if 'Bama gets upset by the horns, Saban will be a BCS bowl loser 2 years running and we all know have much fun it is to wear that tag.

ashley
12/8/2009, 08:34 PM
Top four at the very least.

fireater
12/9/2009, 06:08 PM
The funny thing about reading threads like these, many posters take the position that you start off knowing everything, and regress from that point.

CNS is like, what every great coach is...evolving.
Answer your question

Last year, no.
This year, yes.
Next year, ???