PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrizona! Recap

Sooner04
12/6/2009, 11:12 PM
take off your rainbow shades.

From Kansas City to San Jose, from Milwaukee to Norman; the Eisenhower Interstate system is littered with the carcasses of Wildcat dreams wrecked at the hands of Sooner Basketball. We've beaten Steve Kerr in Kemper and smoked Luke Walton by the Bay. We've grounded Jason "Jet" Terry in the upper Midwest and survived Sean Elliott in Tornado Alley. Long story short, we own the Wildcats. It doesn't matter if they're coached by "Midnight" Lute Olson or Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen; when we play those sissified puttytats on the hardwood we come out on top.

Tonight was nothing more than Exhibit "Q" in support of that thesis. We controlled the tempo from the opening tip and had Sean Miller doing jumping jacks on the sideline for every 30-second timeout he had to call. 6-0 begat 13-7 which begat 22-11 which led to 27-12. If this were a boxing match they would've run out of towels to heave into the ring.

You want to be really excited about a win like this, but can you be? I say you can because even though this Arizona team is struggling it's not like they're a bunch of clowns from Palooka Tech. We just took our four guard lineup and played harder, moved quicker and reacted faster than them on every possession for the first 35 minutes of the game. It was a dismantling, and in a season where we've followed up nearly every stretch of stellar play with an equally festering turd-like stretch of hideousness it was refreshing to follow up the throttling of Arkansas with an even more robust shellacking of Arizona.

These young whippersnappers are growing right before our eyes. Does that mean the Gentlemen of Centenary will come in on Wednesday and take us down to the wire? Dean Blevins says its 70/30.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 22 [this happened once before....]
2nd - 22 [when I came to your door....]
3rd - 25 [no replyyyyyyy....]
4th - 10 [does not compute]

LEADING SCORERS:
25 - Willie Warren
14 - Tiny Gallon
13 - Tony Crocker
10 - Tommy Mason-Griffin

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
7 - Tiny Gallon
5 - Tony Crocker
4 - Tommy Mason-Griffin

PLUSES:
1. Willie Warren: For a long while Willie was neck and neck with Arizona in scoring. They had no answer for him, and you got the feeling that if he felt like being selfish tonight he could've gone for 35. If his 25 were any easier he would've been eating pomegranates while being fanned by his adoring masses during time outs.

2. Tony Crocker: I almost had Tony at #1 again. The Crock Pot is the "it" guy right now. He's got his fingers in everything. Deflections on defense, key rebounds, throwing his body around, stopping opponents' spurts; he's doing it all. I used to want Crocker's night to add to 20 (points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals), but I think he's barking up the 25 tree these days. Tonight the Crock Pot's combined totals were 22. Not bad, but I'm liking the assertiveness he's showing for his team.

3. Cade Davis: Perhaps no player has benefited from the switch to the four-guard mandate more than the pride of Elk City. Cade's lone calling card last year was a three-point stroke that took up residence among the FAA flight patterns, but now he's focusing much more on defense and seeing a large increase in minutes because of it. He and Crocker out on the perimeter will be fun to watch.

4. Tommy Mason Griffin: A beautiful passing game. Six assists and no turnovers. Who was that guy in Anchorage? Not the one we've seen in Norman the past two outings.

MINUSES:
1. Long Ball Dependency: We were basically 2008-2009 O-State in the first half. By my count we took 15 treys in the first half. We're not always going to be hot, and I know we're thin inside, but there's nothing wrong with taking it to the tin. Willie should go to the line at least eight times a game. DRIVE!

2. Depth: Are we really seven deep? Fitzgerald's minutes are dwindling more and more while Pledger continues to struggle on the defensive end. We'll wear down REAL quick in conference play if we can't play more than that.

3. The End of the Big 12 Championship Game: [shudder] After that kickoff for the Corn sailed out of bounds it was like a never-ending loop of the Zapruder Film, Theismann's leg snap and the Roseanne Barr sex tape. I'd be sick for any team to lose like that, but for the Horns to be the beneficiaries? Sweet mother of mercy..........it was awful! It's seared into my retinas!

4. The Master of Ceremonies: He's still there, so my call for an assassin has yet to be answered. If you had "yes, more hair gel" in your office pool you'd be a winner. Word on the streets is that Mike Gundy saw the game and is a little preturbed at his "look" being lifted.

OK, let's see: for five halves in Anchorage we look like the Washington Generals JV team. Then we wake up against Nicholls State, drum Arkansas and annihilate Arizona. I'm confident we'll play well against Centenary, but the litmus test comes this Saturday when we travel to Big Love-ville to take on the Runnin' Utes. There are no Keith Van Horns or Andre Millers waiting on us in Salt Lake City, but it will still be mighty tough. We'll know then how much progress has been made.

Thank you for your time.

bri
12/6/2009, 11:26 PM
I credit TMG's good game to his new shoes:

http://citysole.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/p_216_2_aj-xii-rising-sun-2i.jpg

Overtime
12/7/2009, 12:29 AM
It was a dismantling, and in a season where we've followed up nearly every stretch of stellar play with an equally festering turd-like stretch of hideousness it was refreshing to follow up the throttling of Arkansas with an even more robust shellacking of Arizona.

^^This is why we love reading these things man =)

Sooner04
12/7/2009, 12:47 AM
I credit TMG's good game to his new shoes:

http://citysole.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/p_216_2_aj-xii-rising-sun-2i.jpg
See?! This is what happens when you're trying to take mental notes while driving 80 miles home by yourself on a Sunday night. I was absolutely going to mention the shoes! TMG was sporting the Albino Air Jordan Retro XIIs, as was "Gamma" Ray Willis. No Sooner has worn a pair of Air Jordans on the floor since Keith "Moose" Clark sported a pair of the beauts you see below.

http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/air-jordan-retro-10-white-varsity-red-steel.jpg

I've always been completely OCD over Air Jordans. It used to slay me that all these cool schools were wearing Nike kicks while we Heart, Hustled and Hardwooded our way around in Converse. Even when Kelvin finally hopped on with Nike he'd only allow the "team" shoes to be worn. Half of O-State's Final Four team in 2004 was parading around in Air Jordan IXs and it drove me nuts!

Good catch, Mr. Bri!

bri
12/7/2009, 02:09 AM
Thank you, Mr. 04. One of the advantages of my station is I can shoe-watch during warm-ups.

The funny thing is, when we were shooting the player footage for the intro video, I was wearing my Retro XII lows and Ray called me out on 'em. "I see you, wearing your XII's!"

bri
12/7/2009, 02:09 AM
Oh, and just 17 more days until the Space Jam XI's are released. *drool*

OUSKINS
12/7/2009, 07:45 AM
I get all excited to come on the board and share my thoughts, then I read 04's superb recaps/analysis and find that he's pretty much said it all :)

As always, awesome job.

I only have one tidbit to add. I wasn't able to make it to the LNC tonight, but I did watch on ESPNU. I believe Reid Gettys was the color analyst? If not, forgive me.

Here was an actual exchange.

Gettys: "You know what I want for Christmas?"

Play by Play Guy: "What?"

Gettys: "Ryan Wright's body."

That is all.

C&CDean
12/7/2009, 09:31 AM
Do y'all know how gay it is to fawn over footwear?

soonervegas
12/7/2009, 09:43 AM
The team is improving....Capel can coach.

Boomer.....
12/7/2009, 10:51 AM
Do y'all know how gay it is to fawn over footwear?

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70474&highlight=shoes+wearing

Sooner04
12/7/2009, 10:56 AM
1. If it's gay to fawn over Air Jordans then I'm Boy George.

2. Hey, Reid Gettys: INNNNN-A-PROPRIATE!

3. I'm still hacked off we went scoreless for the last five mintes. We could've dropped 90 on the puttytats but instead I had to sit on Highway 9 in traffic and stew over 79. HARUMPH.

Mjcpr
12/7/2009, 10:59 AM
He didn't say he wanted his body, he said he wanted to look like him.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/7/2009, 11:00 AM
Is this a basketball thread or a sneaker thread?

So any inside scoop on the deal with Fitz? He looked pretty good in those first couple games but these last two games he's only gotten mop up duty. Has he gotten in the dog house? Not practicing hard enough?

We really needed the injection of upper classman leadership that Cade and Crock have given us recently. Keep it up guys and I'll put you on my Christmas card list.

Sooner04
12/7/2009, 11:12 AM
Rue Bourbon,

I think the absence of Fitzgerald has more to do with personnel decisions. It's like the NFL for him right now; he's a 3-4 player but we're playing a 4-3 and he's the odd man out. In other words, we're playing lots of guards and going small. In the rare times we go with two bigs out there his minutes are going to Ryan Wright, who played better last night than he did against Arkansas.

I'm sure Fitz also has some improving to do on his interior defense as well. I bet we see more of him against Centenary when we try to impose certain things on the Gentlemen.

Two other things:

1. OUSKINS, please recap your thoughts with us. Mine are just rambles.

2. This IS a sneaker thread.

badger
12/7/2009, 11:32 AM
I also noticed the Air Jordans when they played Arkansas (so Dean, it's OK for me to notice the shoes, right???). They are very sharp.

If you're a Converse fan, I think Nike owns the company, so maybe for their next cream uni outing, they could go all retro on the shoes, too?

NP and I unfortunately missed the Arizona game, because ESPNU here was showing the loser Big 12 championship (boo @ final second) here. Still, good win for the men.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/7/2009, 12:13 PM
1) I haven't owned a pair of Air Jordan's since my mom was paying for them.

2) (for badger)Are there any reports that Ryan Broyles slipped and broke his arm over the weekend or something equally bad?

badger
12/7/2009, 12:37 PM
2) (for badger)Are there any reports that Ryan Broyles slipped and broke his arm over the weekend or something equally bad?

My avatar is NOT bad luck! :mad:

PS: Just changed it just for those of you that think that it is... if anything awful happens to Gerhart from now through the end of the Sun Bowl, you credit the "unlucky" avatar... and no, Luck's finger does NOT count!

OUSKINS
12/7/2009, 04:11 PM
He didn't say he wanted his body, he said he wanted to look like him.

I know what he MEANT, but technically that's what he said. I found it amusing. But what if it really was a Freudian slip..... :)

Bourbon St Sooner
12/7/2009, 05:03 PM
I was just noticing a pattern, not necessarily implying anything :)

TopDawg
12/7/2009, 07:45 PM
The only time I've noticed what shoes the team is wearing is when I got free pairs myself.

Those Cons they started the season with in 1997 were terribly uncomfortable. They switched shortly after I got mine, but I didn't get the new ones. There's actually a picture of me from that year in my running sneaks because the Cons were so uncomfortable.

okienole3
12/7/2009, 09:20 PM
You could tell that the team is really buying into the concept of defense. There were still some breakdowns, but the difference in effort between last night and the Alaska disaster was night and day.

The emcee is a disaster in his own right. His "WHO WANTS SOME FREE STUFF!!" routine makes me want to throat punch him.

sooneron
12/7/2009, 10:57 PM
Heh, I used to have a pair of T Evans' converse...

TopDawg
12/9/2009, 09:53 PM
2. Tony Crocker: I almost had Tony at #1 again. The Crock Pot is the "it" guy right now. He's got his fingers in everything. Deflections on defense, key rebounds, throwing his body around, stopping opponents' spurts; he's doing it all. I used to want Crocker's night to add to 20 (points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals), but I think he's barking up the 25 tree these days. Tonight the Crock Pot's combined totals were 22. Not bad, but I'm liking the assertiveness he's showing for his team.

I think Tony was upset that you didn't mention "scoring" in your list of things he's doing.

bri
12/10/2009, 12:11 AM
I thought TD bumped this because neither TMG or Ray were wearing their albino XII's tonight. :(