PDA

View Full Version : Our Chance's in The Sun Bowl....?

Blues1
12/6/2009, 09:09 PM
From what I've seen watching 3 or 4 games that Stanford Played....

Right Now I'd say about 50/50 --- Your Turn....~ !

Stanford's Coach is on his Game....(just sayin')

GKeeper316
12/6/2009, 09:11 PM
chances doesn't have an apostrophe.

we'll win by 2 touchdowns.

the_sooners_abide
12/6/2009, 09:12 PM
Stanford has a good offense and bad defense. An actual bowl game with Demarco? I like OUr chances. I give us a 70% chance of winning.

Soonerus
12/6/2009, 09:13 PM
I bet we are 12 point favorites...

rawlingsHOH
12/6/2009, 09:14 PM
I'd imagine we will be a TD favorite. So probably a 65% chance of victory.

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 09:14 PM
I say 40/60 we win.

I just don't have much confidence in this crew we march out there this season...

...or the guys that have marched them out there.

MyT Oklahoma
12/6/2009, 09:27 PM
Depends upon which Sooner team shows up I think. I always hope for the best but you never really know until the tee up the ball and play the game.

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 09:29 PM
Damn, it just struck me that this is not a home game, I may have to lower my odds from 40% to more like saying we have a 25% chance of winning. :O

AzianSooner
12/6/2009, 09:33 PM
Mr. Moutache might eat a lot of food on that day and react slow.

instigator
12/6/2009, 10:02 PM
we'll win by 2 touchdowns.

I've never heard that before a bowl game. :rolleyes:

I'll just stay cautiously optimistic. Harbaugh can coach and Gerhart is a stud. Luckily we have a good D line that I think can stand up to a power running game.

ndpruitt03
12/6/2009, 10:09 PM
Our strength is defense. We'll handle their offense. I like our chances to move the ball. Just hope we don't look rusty after not playing for a month. We need to move it to where all the bowls are done about 3 weeks after the season ends.

soonergirlNeugene
12/6/2009, 10:28 PM
Stanford's rushing game is the real deal. This may not be the type of bowl we're used to but we'd better be ready for a serious game.

ocsooner
12/6/2009, 10:34 PM
The pattern favors a win (I can't remember who first pointed it out, but there is a thread prior to the osu game...

BYU - L
Idaho - W
Tulsa - W
Miami - L
Baylor - W
saxet - L
Kansas - W
K State - W
Neb - L
aTm - W
Tech - L
osu - W

?bowl? - ?w?

The pattern favors us...

soonerfan3778
12/6/2009, 10:38 PM
i'd say about an 75% chance

rawlingsHOH
12/6/2009, 10:43 PM
I hope we plan on playing more than 2 DTs. Gerhart can wear on a defense.

1890MilesToNorman
12/6/2009, 10:44 PM
I'll make my first negative post of the year here. Stanford has a damn good offense, their back is H trophy caliber. We have not been a good road team the past 2 or 3 years. In my mind it's a toss up, if our O produces points we stand a damn good chance, I think our D will hold it's own.

TXBOOMER
12/6/2009, 10:47 PM
Given our recent Bowl history and our recent road play, I would say Da Sooners by fitty!

SoonerLB
12/6/2009, 10:50 PM
We're gonna need some guys to get healthy and the offense as a whole to play a great game if we expect to win. And either an attitude adjustment, or whatever else is needed, to break the bowl mentality we've had lately.
As of right now, I put our chances at 40-60, and probably a 10 point underdog.

landrun
12/6/2009, 10:51 PM
Their offense is overrated. The PAC 10 defenses are pathetic. 2 teams in the top 30. The Big XII has 4 teams in the top 11. We easily have the best defense they've seen all year and they've only seen 2 offenses better than ours. (statistically) Oregon and Notre Dame. They gave up 38 and 50+ points in those two games.

We should kill them unless we play like Oklahoma in a bowl game.

SoonerJack
12/6/2009, 11:12 PM
We get creamed.

Sorry, watching Sooner bowl failures has done this to me.

okiedokie
12/6/2009, 11:54 PM
stop the run and we will win.......

cvsooner
12/7/2009, 12:01 AM
On paper we look pretty good. This may be similar to the Kansas game, where the offense was good and the defense not so much. BYU had a stout defense, Miami good enough defense for our offense, Texas pretty good d and Nebraska awesome d. The only anomaly in all that was Tech...where our defense couldn't stop anything for anything.

And we tend to come out rusty...I dunno. Right now it's a toss up but given our recent bowl history I'd say Stoops and co. are ready to put a beatdown on somebody in a bowl. Why not this one? Plus Landry will be playing in front of family and friends (Artesia is only 150 miles away.) Plus we've got Murray, for once...although the way this season has gone...knock on wood.

I think it's about 60/40 that we win.

VA Sooner
12/7/2009, 12:07 AM
It's all about bowl game prep and how bad we want it.

Fiesta Bowl - Boise State... injuries and lack of discipline. Granger steals a coat. Kelly hurt and ineffective. Mistakes in the first quarter put us behind and we have to dig ourselves out. Almost did, too, if not for the backyard football trick plays.

Fiesta Bowl - West Virginia... played without DeMarco who dislocates patella at Texas Tech game. Played a very pumped up West Virginia team who just lost their coach (and had the opposite effect of what media pundits were predicting would happen to their game play). And what's up with that psychopath who keeps cracking his own skull when he makes a mistake... Owen Schmitt?

National Title Game - played a very good Florida team with all-world receiver Harvin who practically takes over the game to bail Florida out offensively which then opens up the shovel pass to Hernandez and the Tebow run up the middle. OU played with a lot more discipline in that game and couldn't get the running game going against Carlos "I like to sleep in my own car on the street" Dunlap, Brandon "eye-gouger" Spikes, and Stamper. Defense had a great showing and it came down to a pass just on the edge of Manny's fingertips that the Florida CB took away at the last second that was the turning point of the game. Fairly even until then.

Practice, focus and definitely don't take the game lightly. Stanford's run game is very good with Gerhart a demon who's fast and carries defenders with him. We'll match up well with him. Andrew Luck is a very good quarterback who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Our corners should match up well also.

OU's offense will be the difference-maker. If the offense shows up (and I'm hoping for a couple more wrinkles to take advantage of Murray and Broyles), then we'll win by 10... or more. Play sloppy... a sad ride home.

Start practicing boys!

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2009, 12:19 AM
We have a lot better shot against a strong offense than a strong defense and Stanford is such a team. I do think they will move the ball on us and we haven't seen a power running team like this one. That big KSU back (Thomas?) was the closest thing and he did okay against us in Norman. Gerhart and the Stanford scheme is much better than KSU's. The Stanford pass D is weak and Landry has gone to town against weak pass defenses. If Landry is on and we can get the ball to Broyles and DM in space, we should kill them with big plays. Should be an exciting game.

Overtime
12/7/2009, 12:23 AM
We should kill them unless we play like Oklahoma in a bowl game.

^^This^^

Salt City Sooner
12/7/2009, 12:32 AM
I'm naturally a little gunshy about it considering past bowl experiences, but looking at the numbers, I have to say that we match up VERY well in this game.

D-1 rank:

OU rush offense- #69- 141 YPG
OU pass offense- #17- 278 YPG
OU total offense- #28- 419 YPG
OU scoring offense- #30- 31 PPG

Stanford rush defense- #61 144 YPG
Stanford pass defense- #105- 252 YPG
Stanford pass efficiency D- #95- 139 QB RTG
Stanford total defense- #85- 396 YPG
Stanford scoring D- #65- 26 PPG

Stanford rush offense- #11- 224 YPG
Stanford pass offense- #59- 217 YPG
Stanford total offense- #13- 441 YPG
Stanford scoring offense- #10- 36 PPG

OU rush defense- #7 88 YPG
OU pass defense- #22- 185 YPG
OU pass efficiency D- #10- 100 QB rtg.
OU total defense- #7- 273 YPG
OU scoring defense- #7- 13.5 PPG

Turnover margin is pretty equal (OU #41 vs. SU #59) although it should be noted that OU both forced more TO's, as well as gave up more.

OU has an advantage in net punting (#4, vs. a respectable #30 for Stanford)

Punt returns- OU is #3, Stanford's punt return D is #11,
Stanford is #73 in returns vs. OU's #1 punt return defense.

Kickoff returns (Stanford's biggest advantage that I see other than rushing O, FWIW)

SU is #3 in KO returns, vs. OU's #34 KO ret. D
OU is #72 in KO returns, vs. SU's #25 KO ret. D

One other thing that I found interesting is that Stanford's O leads the nation in fewest TFL's allowed, & has given up 6 sacks all year (#2 behind Boise). I'll be watching as to how they fare here vs. GK & co., who rank #8 in TFL's, & #5 in sacks. Conversely, the OU O is #24 in sacks allowed & #33 in TFL's given up. Stanford's D is #65 in sacks & #110 in TFL's.

Lastly, Sagarin has SU's schedule @ 19, OU's is #31.

DenverSooner751
12/7/2009, 12:58 AM
Geesh. I hope they don't start lifting weights......

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 01:07 AM
Fiesta Bowl - West Virginia... played without DeMarco who dislocates patella at Texas Tech game. Played a very pumped up West Virginia team who just lost their coach (and had the opposite effect of what media pundits were predicting would happen to their game play). And what's up with that psychopath who keeps cracking his own skull when he makes a mistake... Owen Schmitt?

and...
Kelly
Reggie
Demarcus
Harris
Lendy
English 50%

soonergirlNeugene
12/7/2009, 01:11 AM
Looks like cautious optimism out of the Stanford crowd.

http://www.thecardboard.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=general

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 01:19 AM
OU has an advantage in net punting (#4, vs. a respectable #30 for Stanford)

Punt returns- OU is #3, Stanford's punt return D is #11,
Stanford is #73 in returns vs. OU's #1 punt return defense.

OU's punt game is phenomonal. Both sides.

boomermagic
12/7/2009, 08:57 AM
Depends upon which Sooner team shows up I think. I always hope for the best but you never really know until the tee up the ball and play the game.

This.. It's a bowl game and we haven't been doing great in bowls lately but Maybe it's our turn who knows ?

KantoSooner
12/7/2009, 09:26 AM
This one is on Stoops, really. Can he get the team to commit to this game? If so, we win going away. If not, then it's a long afternoon. OSU game vs. Tech game.

OUmillenium
12/7/2009, 09:28 AM
Not optimistic. Gearhart will get lots of carries and their passing will keep us off balance IMO. When is the last time our D held a team under 24 points in a bowl game? Will our offense score 3 tds on the road? ugh

TheHumanAlphabet
12/7/2009, 10:36 AM
Given how this team has played and looked this year, I cannot believe anyone is actually thinking we will win any game hands down. Stanford has looked tough and I don't have any great expectations from this team or the coaches. I hope both prove me wrong.

rawlingsHOH
12/7/2009, 10:39 AM
Not optimistic. Gearhart will get lots of carries and their passing will keep us off balance IMO. When is the last time our D held a team under 24 points in a bowl game? Will our offense score 3 tds on the road? ugh

The last time we played in a non-BCS bowl game, 2005.

Dan Thompson
12/7/2009, 11:13 AM
I am concerned because

It's a road game

It's against a ranked team

Gearhart

Standford's Offense

Our lack of Offense (at times)

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 11:16 AM
Given how this team has played and looked this year, I cannot believe anyone is actually thinking we will win any game hands down. Stanford has looked tough and I don't have any great expectations from this team or the coaches. I hope both prove me wrong.

seriously guys. ive watched samford play 2 games this year and what littel i have watched of them, i think the strength of their offense is their line. although they are good, lets look at the caliber of lines they have played against this season.
these dudes dropped games against wake, arizona,oregon state,and california

im not saying our dline is better than any of these 4 but, im telling you if we hold gerhart to 75 yards or less, we win it going away. luck isn't exactly asked to win games for them. dude has 13 tds ON THE SEASON with 4 ints and 2500 yards (give or take a few) for 145 rating....landry on the other side, as bad as his mistakes have been, is still leading him in yards by over 200 yards. with 500 more yards going to sam bradford (what little time he spent on the field this year) we have 3 backs that equal gerharts production....lets hope they are pissed that they are sent to a lower tiered bowl and go out and stomp a mudhole in that asss. standford doesnt have a WVU attack with some arial acrobatics thrown in and they arent boise state with axel rose at the helm. they are somewhere in the middle. the key, OUR DLINE>>>

bottom line, IF we shut down the running game, the passing game wont work.

remember.... OU'S DEFENSE: the place where heisman candidates go to die.

devOUt
12/7/2009, 11:29 AM
I've watched most of Stanford's games this year. We'll win by at least 10. The Stanford offense is the run first kind of offense that Stoops & Venables built a reputation defending. Without Luck at QB they will struggle in the passing game. Their defense is not very good.

TUSooner
12/7/2009, 11:35 AM
I doubt we will stop Gerhart, but their QB is out, so Toby may not be enough. I think we can outscore them if OUr good offense shows up. If OUr bumbing offense shows up.... not so good.

I fear the difference will be Stanford's better motivation, especially if Toby lights up some of our DBs early in the game to set the tone. The there's OUr pitiful bowl history: I expect Stanford to be better prepared.

SO....We'll either win by 20+ or lose. If it's a slug-fest of manly he-man macho masculine tough-guy chop-busting football, we'll lose. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 11:36 AM
I've watched most of Stanford's games this year. We'll win by at least 10. The Stanford offense is the run first kind of offense that Stoops & Venables built a reputation defending. Without Luck at QB they will struggle in the passing game. Their defense is not very good.

agreed. i think stanford made arizona punt 3 times and stanford didnt punt at all. ground and pound. if we score within 5 - 7 plays everytime we have the ball, and stanford can do NOTHING but run the rock, they are done.

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 11:46 AM
I doubt we will stop Gerhart.

why? because notre dame couldn't? if we stick 7 or 8 in the box and MAKE them throw on us, this back up will throw some picks...we win either way.

have you taken a gander at how bad this dude has been? over his career...22 picks/15 tds/43 sacks for 2700 total yards and a 69 percent rating.

speaking of sacks, he was sacked once this year even though he only made 3 pass attempts ON THE SEASON...how do yo think he'll do against one of the top 5 tackle for loss defenses in the nation and one of the top 10 in sacks?

sooneron
12/7/2009, 11:47 AM
From what I have heard about their passing D (atrocious) I think our odds are around 65% in our favor. Our receivers have to catch and the d has to wrap up at the point of attack. Them losing Luck does not bode well for the trees.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2009, 11:56 AM
Every team tries to load he box on Stanford - hasn't slowed them down too much. Obviously, it hurts them not having Luck at QB, but the backup guy is a senior with a fair amount of playing time. His high number of INTs came in the last 2 seasons when the team was much weaker. I've seen him play this year and he is confident out there. He is the one that engineered the winning drive against 'SC in '07 when they were 41 point underdogs. It knocked 'SC out of the title game - hahahaha.

jaux
12/7/2009, 12:41 PM
We cruise unless SAT scores count ;)