PDA

View Full Version : TCU vs. Boise Fiesta Bowl..

Q22
12/6/2009, 08:19 PM
yawn..what a joke.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 08:20 PM
I'll still watch it...

Good Luck Frogs

Q22
12/6/2009, 08:22 PM
i'll watch it too..but I was hoping to see TCU play Florida or Cincinatti..oh well. go frogs

btk108
12/6/2009, 08:22 PM
TCU got screwed.....freakin BCS...keep it up, you're just daring the feds to step in now.

OUHOMER
12/6/2009, 08:23 PM
i'll watch it too..but I was hoping to see TCU play Florida or Cincinatti..oh well. go frogs

I agree, I would have loved TCU to kick the **** out of Florida

Hot Rod
12/6/2009, 08:30 PM
I agree, I would have loved TCU to kick the **** out of Florida

Likewise, but I guess they chose them since they were non-popular conferences.

chad
12/6/2009, 08:30 PM

Can't do that. If TCU beat florida, it shows the BCS is still extremely flawed and gives credit to all of the bitching. If TCU were to beat florida in similar fashion to what Bama did, it would be the downfall of the BCS.

By preventing the match-ups they can hide behind the current argument which is "we don't know how good they really are because of their weaker schedules and until they play more big conference teams, they aren't deserving of the NC game. *whispers* btw, ignore that we prevent them playing the BCS best when the opportunity arises */whisper*

TCU v Florida
BSU v Cinci
two potentially amazing games that killed by the BCS

MeMyself&Me
12/6/2009, 08:33 PM
I was shocked at that. What's the point of being a BCS buster if your going to play another non-BCS team. Cheapens their accomplishment, cheapens the game, and cheapens the Bowl IMHO.

Also surprised that Cincy fell to the last spot (Sugar got the first and last pick this year). Is there something wrong with Cincy and their fans?

I was expecting the selection to go more like this:

Sugar - Florida
Fiesta - Cincy
Orange - TCU
Fiesta - Boise
Sugar - Iowa

or

Sugar - Florida
Fiesta - TCU
Orange - Cincy
Fiesta - Iowa
Sugar - Boise

The reason I was expecting the first order was that it meant that the Fiesta could get two undefeated teams without making it two non-BCS teams. The second scenario is how I saw the order if Fiesta 'screwed up' and took TCU first because I didn't think they'd want to pit Boise against TCU.

Of course both those scenarios assumes that Cincy would not fall to the last pick. That part surprised me as well. I would think that Cincy would be more attractive than Iowa or Boisie. In reality, the Fiesta could have had an undefeated matchup with Cincy and TCU which the way the picks went down.

chad
12/6/2009, 08:39 PM
Don't forget. They played this same damn game last year in the Poinsettia Bowl.

TCU won 17 - 16

WTF are we being forced to watch a repeat?

BCS buster my ***, pitting them up against each other defeats the whole reason they [players and coaches] want to be in the BCS, to play the best BCS team possible. (sure the admin side of things looks at the $)

Sonner magic923
12/6/2009, 08:50 PM
well this matchup certainly interest me more than GT vs. IOWA booooring

although i do agree that they should of matched em with cincy and florida

TUSooner
12/6/2009, 10:07 PM
yawn..what a joke.

How spoiled are you? It's one of the best matchups of the whole 937 other bowls. :rolleyes:

salth2o
12/6/2009, 10:09 PM
TCU opens as a 4 point favorite, but the LV Hilton has them at -8.

soonerhubs
12/6/2009, 10:13 PM
How spoiled are you? It's one of the best matchups of the whole 937 other bowls. :rolleyes:

Q earned everything he has. He's not spoiled. ;)

PLaw
12/6/2009, 10:18 PM
By preventing the match-ups they can hide behind the current argument which is "we don't know how good they really are because of their weaker schedules and until they play more big conference teams, they aren't deserving of the NC game. *whispers* btw, ignore that we prevent them playing the BCS best when the opportunity arises */whisper*

It's a shame the same unwritten rules that apply to non-BCS conferences don't also apply to ND. ND pretty much gets a pass as long as they win 9 - 10 games.

BUMMER

sooneron
12/6/2009, 10:19 PM
boise should be playing ufla
cincy should be playing gateck
and tcu should be playing ....

bama! :D

ndpruitt03
12/6/2009, 10:20 PM
This is a no win situation for TCU and they may be the best team in the country. If they blow out BSU they get no credit. If they win a close one which is more likely to happen then people will say they didn't deserve to be in the NC game. If the BCS had any guts they put TCU vs Florida that would be the best game.

soonerhubs
12/6/2009, 10:24 PM
This is a no win situation for TCU and they may be the best team in the country. If they blow out BSU they get no credit. If they win a close one which is more likely to happen then people will say they didn't deserve to be in the NC game. If the BCS had any guts they put TCU vs Florida that would be the best game.

Ahhh... The BC$.

rawlingsHOH
12/6/2009, 10:51 PM
Don't forget. They played this same damn game last year in the Poinsettia Bowl.

TCU won 17 - 16

WTF are we being forced to watch a repeat?

BCS buster my ***, pitting them up against each other defeats the whole reason they [players and coaches] want to be in the BCS, to play the best BCS team possible. (sure the admin side of things looks at the $)

Yes, ridiculous.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/6/2009, 10:54 PM
Don't watch it. Hit 'em where it hurts. Show them that NOBODY cares about their incredibly lame matchups.

SoonerLB
12/6/2009, 10:57 PM
I'm with you guys, both these teams got the shaft, again! But on the flip side, I'll watch, 'cause it might be one of the most exciting games to watch out of all the bowl games.

sooneron
12/6/2009, 11:02 PM
Don't watch it. Hit 'em where it hurts. Show them that NOBODY cares about their incredibly lame matchups.

Unless you're a Nielsen family, this advice is pretty pointless.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/6/2009, 11:22 PM

I guess I got better things to do than watch glorified scrimmages.

Jacie
12/7/2009, 07:44 AM
This is a no win situation for TCU and they may be the best team in the country. If they blow out BSU they get no credit. If they win a close one which is more likely to happen then people will say they didn't deserve to be in the NC game.

And if they lose?

We've seen this scenario before.

At least the Horned Frogs are playing with a full squad at the top of their game.

Soonerwake
12/7/2009, 09:13 AM
well this matchup certainly interest me more than GT vs. IOWA booooring

although i do agree that they should of matched em with cincy and florida

No kidding. What a snooze-fest...

OUmillenium
12/7/2009, 09:18 AM
Go TCU but I won't watch. That will have to have some less than stellar ratings.

TUSooner
12/7/2009, 11:24 AM
Looking at it as just a matchup between undefeated teams, and without the "BCS Conference" myth, it ought to be a good game. Of course, would have been better if they played each other in the last weekend of the regular season to determine who gets to play a "BCS" team in a bowl. My problem is not necessarily that the match up is boring, just that I'd rather see them play someone else. (And after a moment of thought, I see that's probably the real point of the original post. :O ) But I think the "BCS conference" deal is overdone. For example, I think TCU or Boise would beat Iowa and maybe anyone else in the Big Televen, 'cept maybe OhSU, and probably most in the Big XII, SEC or whatever, which is exactly the question we hoped would be answered, but which will NOT be. Still, just because one of the teams could be from a BCS conference would not ensure a better game.

Bottom line: It's foolish to expect anything more from the BCS than the plausible illusion of a champion, though the BCS might get the right top-2 matchup occasionally. Enjoy the games for their intrinsic value and not for the significance artificially imposed on them, and you'll have a much happier bowl season.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/7/2009, 11:37 AM
This is a no win situation for TCU and they may be the best team in the country. If they blow out BSU they get no credit. If they win a close one which is more likely to happen then people will say they didn't deserve to be in the NC game. If the BCS had any guts they put TCU vs Florida that would be the best game.sombitches did it to us in '06. FU deserves Boise, IMHO.

mehip
12/7/2009, 11:41 AM
This may be the lamest match-up in BCS history. Maybe not, Utah-Pitt was pretty pathetic. Still, why not let these kids play the Cin. or FL or G.Tech ?

mehip
12/7/2009, 11:45 AM

We were a couple of years ago. I don't think they liked having a Nielsen family that only watched ~1 hour of TV per day (CFB season excluded) and nothing on Fox, ABC, NBC or CBS.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/7/2009, 12:39 PM
The SEC is tired of their runner up getting smacked by a MWC team. After all we all know the SEC in better than the NFC East and appearances must be kept up.

That and Timmuh must go out a winner. After all, Christ resurrected himself after being crucified.

MeMyself&Me
12/7/2009, 12:56 PM
Looking at it as just a matchup between undefeated teams, and without the "BCS Conference" myth, it ought to be a good game. Of course, would have been better if they played each other in the last weekend of the regular season to determine who gets to play a "BCS" team in a bowl. My problem is not necessarily that the match up is boring, just that I'd rather see them play someone else. (And after a moment of thought, I see that's probably the real point of the original post. :O ) But I think the "BCS conference" deal is overdone. For example, I think TCU or Boise would beat Iowa and maybe anyone else in the Big Televen, 'cept maybe OhSU, and probably most in the Big XII, SEC or whatever, which is exactly the question we hoped would be answered, but which will NOT be. Still, just because one of the teams could be from a BCS conference would not ensure a better game.

Bottom line: It's foolish to expect anything more from the BCS than the plausible illusion of a champion, though the BCS might get the right top-2 matchup occasionally. Enjoy the games for their intrinsic value and not for the significance artificially imposed on them, and you'll have a much happier bowl season.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a terrible matchup except I think it cheapens their accomplishment to let them in the BCS and then not play a BCS conference team. If the selection process made it so that it was the only option, so be it. However, the Fiesta had a chance to have an undefeated BCS # 3 go up against and undefeated non-BCS # 4. How in the world is that not a better scenario for the Fiesta bowl? That just might have been the biggest non-championship BCS game of the BCS era.

badger
12/7/2009, 01:10 PM
I really wondered if there was some behind-the-scenes schemin' to get Boise State in the BCS even though they weren't guaranteed a spot... till I looked at the BCS final rankings.

1- You must be in the top 14 to be considered.
The at-large pool included Florida, LSU, Penn State, Brigham Young, Boise State, Virgina Tech and Iowa.
2- You can only take two from a conference.
The at-larges for the SEC and Big 10 went to Florida and Iowa. Therefore, Penn State and LSU were ineligible.

Therefore, Boise State was chosen ahead of Virginia Tech and Brigham Young. Sounds a lot less weird when you consider it that way.

ndpruitt03
12/7/2009, 01:14 PM
I know this won't happen but I hope Cincy somehow upsets Florida. That would be a bigger upset than Boise State beating OU though.

badger
12/7/2009, 01:20 PM
I know this won't happen but I hope Cincy somehow upsets Florida. That would be a bigger upset than Boise State beating OU though.

Agree - much like Utah beating Bammer was definitely seen as huge --- thy mighty SEC doth falleth, lol.

I can see it happening, because Florida has nothing to play for now. NP joked after the game "I wonder if Tim Tebow is gonna do a tearful press conference saying nobody will work as hard and push his teammates as hard after this?"

I responded "Why? What do they have to play for now?"

NP: "It was a joke."

:D

My Opinion Matters
12/7/2009, 01:32 PM
This game certainly doesn't have the luster such as other BCS classics including:

Louisville vs. Wake Forest
Kansas vs. Virginia Tech
Cincinatti vs. Virginia Tech
Georgia vs. Hawaii