PDA

View Full Version : It's Happened Before

utex74
12/6/2009, 05:41 PM
And not even with a replay system.

1994 Orange Bowl - favorable to the Huskers:

"As time ran down, Frazier hit tight end Trumaine Bell for a 29 yard gain to the FSU 28 yard line. The clock ticked down to 0:00, setting off more chaos on the FSU sideline, complete with the compulsory Gatorade bath given to FSU coach Bobby Bowden.
However, referee John Soffey ruled that Bell was down with 1 second left on the clock, and ordered the field cleared, allowing Nebraska placekicker Byron Bennett an opportunity to kick the game winning field goal."

Except their kicker missed.

rawlingsHOH
12/6/2009, 05:43 PM
yep, remember it well. but the official time was kept on the field then, i believe.

TUSooner
12/6/2009, 07:04 PM

"As time ran down, Frazier hit tight end Trumaine Bell for a 29 yard gain to the FSU 28 yard line. The clock ticked down to 0:00, setting off more chaos on the FSU sideline, complete with the compulsory Gatorade bath given to FSU coach Bobby Bowden.
However, referee John Soffey ruled that Bell was down with 1 second left on the clock, and ordered the field cleared, allowing Nebraska placekicker Byron Bennett an opportunity to kick the game winning field goal."

Nice try. Guilty conscience? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

unbiasedtruth
12/6/2009, 07:13 PM

then why weren't pony's other passes that were thrown away out of bounds during the game, and for that matter Zac's too, reviewed to determine how much time was on the game clock whe the ball hit the ground???

I have asked this same question to several horn fans I know and all I receive is a dumb look stare and "I don't know, the game wasnt on the line then? type of answer....

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 07:14 PM
thus this quote from Dr Tom:

'I've been on both sides'

TXBOOMER
12/6/2009, 07:21 PM
Regardless of what has happened in the past, texass gets the benefit of the doubt everytime Big 12 officials call a game. I hope Bama rectifies the situation.

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 07:24 PM
Regardless of what has happened in the past, texass gets the benefit of the doubt everytime Big 12 officials call a game. I hope Bama rectifies the situation.

and head to head counts!!! :gary:

TXBOOMER
12/6/2009, 07:28 PM
and head to head counts!!! :gary:

The Tiebraker Rule is the GD tiebraker rule. If the MF'ers could have changed it they would have. The dick slaps should have beat Tech and it wouldn't have been an issue. If the zebras would have followed the rules last night Nebbish would have won the GD game.

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 07:46 PM
The Tiebraker Rule is the GD tiebraker rule. If the MF'ers could have changed it they would have. The dick slaps should have beat Tech and it wouldn't have been an issue. If the zebras would have followed the rules last night Nebbish would have won the GD game.

Walt Anderson disagrees :
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/12/big-12-supervisor-of-officials-clock-ope.html

Big 12 Supervisor of Officials: Clock operator was correct

Walt Anderson, the Big 12 Supervisor of Officials, told the media that the clock operators and replay booth officials acted correctly when stopping the clock Saturday night and when also determining that there was a second left after reviewing the play.

Anderson said the review showed that the errant throw made by Colt McCoy as time seemed to expire actually hit a railing in front of one of the field-level suites with a tick left.

"The clock doesn't stop until the ball hits something," Anderson said. "And that's what they determined."

He did not, however, offer an explanation for why Texas didn't call time out long before the clock seemed to expire.

soonerhubs
12/6/2009, 07:49 PM
It's happened before. Yes. The officials have been cheating for this mediocre team from Austin for the past few years.

TXBOOMER
12/6/2009, 07:54 PM
Walt Anderson disagrees :
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/12/big-12-supervisor-of-officials-clock-ope.html

You think he is gonna come out and say his boys F'ed up? Gimme a break.

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 07:58 PM
nope but according to this, they correct call was made:
http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rules_5_2204c0005d-845f-4813-8391-54f15136079d.pdf

ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.
However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those
involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable. This excludes
fouls that are not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c
and d, 12-3-4-b and 12-3-5-a).

don't shoot the messenger

soonerhubs
12/6/2009, 07:58 PM

Nope. That's not the BCS's corrupt corporate way. Instead they fine coaches and marginalize people who question their blatant lack of integrity.

TXBOOMER
12/6/2009, 08:12 PM
nope but according to this, they correct call was made:
http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rules_5_2204c0005d-845f-4813-8391-54f15136079d.pdf

don't shoot the messenger

That isn't an egregious error. The clock is stopped by the timekeeper after the official gives the stop the clock signal. The ball hit the ground and approximately 2/10ths of a second later it went to zero. That is reasonble reaction time. The clock NEVER stops the instant the ball hits the ground in football. That is part of the human element in the game. It is what it is. My point is this is another example of texass getting the benefit of the doubt by the zebras. In the end, I hope to thoroughly enjoy watching Colt getting dominated by a good D.

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 08:19 PM
That isn't an egregious error. The clock is stopped by the timekeeper after the official gives the stop the clock signal. The ball hit the ground and approximately 2/10ths of a second later it went to zero. That is reasonble reaction time. The clock NEVER stops the instant the ball hits the ground in football. That is part of the human element in the game. It is what it is. My point is this is another example of texass getting the benefit of the doubt by the zebras. In the end, I hope to thoroughly enjoy watching Colt getting dominated by a good D.

I hear whistles before the clock hits 'zero' and on the replay om the left side of the screen you can see a REF signaling incomplete when the clock is still at '1 second'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJpuj7RLK0U

in the end, the rules were followed, the correct call was made and everyone can take off the tin hats. I dont necessary like the outcome either, but I dont think one team was 'cheated'.

Hot Rod
12/6/2009, 08:19 PM
This year's plane banner to read: "Better to be lucky than good."

47straight
12/6/2009, 08:41 PM
I don't think replay was allowed back, then much less replay of an unreviewable call.

TXBOOMER
12/6/2009, 08:45 PM
I hear whistles before the clock hits 'zero' and on the replay om the left side of the screen you can see a REF signaling incomplete when the clock is still at '1 second'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJpuj7RLK0U

in the end, the rules were followed, the correct call was made and everyone can take off the tin hats. I dont necessary like the outcome either, but I dont think one team was 'cheated'.

You have the right to your opinion and I do as well. Yours is wrong though.:D

sooneron
12/6/2009, 08:48 PM
Please let this stupid subject die. Figures a whorn would be over here bringing it up by starting YET ANOTHER THREAD.