PDA

View Full Version : Horsecollar rule is GARBAGE

rawlingsHOH
12/6/2009, 03:01 PM
Get rid of it. You don't see any more injuries occuring on those plays than any other type of tackles. I see it called every game and never once is the guy getting tackled injured.

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 03:03 PM
I thought it was a bullsh*t rule from the start.

ndpruitt03
12/6/2009, 03:08 PM
I can understand it a little if pull on the inside of it you can basically choke player but just like facemasks, it is called way too much. Everytime you even touch the shoulder it's called now. They should make it to where fasemasks are only called if they are actually pulling the facemask instead of just touching it like they usually call it now.

JBIILonghorns
12/6/2009, 03:10 PM
I'm a Longhorn fan and I also think the rule is BS. It saved our butts though.

I highly doubt there was a horsecollar rule in the 50s and 60s.

jumperstop
12/6/2009, 03:13 PM
Another way of wimpifying football...and why were at it, lets just throw in the out of bounds hitting and roughing the passer/kicker.

OUstud
12/6/2009, 03:14 PM
There wasn't a horsecollar rule anywhere until The Real Roy Williams pulled T.O. down, mangling his leg. College adopted it a couple of years later.

sooner59
12/6/2009, 03:14 PM
That is only the second time this season I have seen it called. If they were really serious about it, I saw about 30 times that it should have been called.

Kind of funny that when you watch any other team, horsecollars are being let slide, seconds tick off the clock, etc. But when texas plays, the refs call plays like they all of a sudden break out the rule book and call everything as tight as they can to get texas to Pasadena.

I blame Nebraska's kicker and stupid dude who actually did horsecollar the guy for the loss....oh and Nebraska's offense. But the whorns do seem to be helped out by the refs more that the average team.

soonerhubs
12/6/2009, 03:16 PM
I blame TRRW. ;)

rawlingsHOH
12/6/2009, 03:21 PM
There wasn't a horsecollar rule anywhere until The Real Roy Williams pulled T.O. down, mangling his leg. College adopted it a couple of years later.

Yep, the same move Roy used about 100 times in college. And he maybe hurt 3 or 4 guys. Probably about the same ratio of when he'd tackle someone squared up.

Sooner Eclipse
12/6/2009, 03:30 PM

This is part of the problem. The way TRRW uses the tackle should be illegal. He grabs the back of the shoulder pads and then leaves his feet, putting the weight of his body on the back of the receivers legs. Kinda like a calf roper trying to flip the calf.

Grabbing the back of the shoulder pads and allowing the runner to run out from under his center of gravity and landing on his back should be legal.

tulsaoilerfan
12/6/2009, 04:06 PM
It's tackle football for a reason people and i believe you should be able to tackle a guy carrying the ball any way you can EXCEPT for pulling him down by the facemask; the horse collar causes no more injuries than any other form of tackling.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 04:15 PM
When done properly it's wonderfully violent.

budbarrybob
12/6/2009, 04:34 PM
When done properly it's wonderfully violent.

:D :D :D

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 05:47 PM
I still maintain that if a guy carrying the ball doesn't want to get horsecollared all he has to do is not get caught. :D

Sasakwa
12/6/2009, 05:58 PM
The way TRRW uses the tackle should be illegal. He grabs the back of the shoulder pads and then leaves his feet, putting the weight of his body on the back of the receivers legs. Kinda like a calf roper trying to flip the calf.

Grabbing the back of the shoulder pads and allowing the runner to run out from under his center of gravity and landing on his back should be legal.

I think you are right, but because the difference is too subjective, they just outlawed the whole thing after the NFL did.

Sasakwa
12/6/2009, 06:04 PM
The way TRRW uses the tackle should be illegal. He grabs the back of the shoulder pads and then leaves his feet, putting the weight of his body on the back of the receivers legs. Kinda like a calf roper trying to flip the calf.

I think you are right, but because the difference is too subjective, they just outlawed the whole thing after the NFL did.

Piware
12/6/2009, 06:15 PM
The horsecollar tackle was made by Larry Asante. He is the same guy that stood over an injured Sooner and taunted him. I've seen him do it a couple of times this year and, my memory may be faulty, but I think he was also ejected from a regular season game.

IMHO, he is a little thug. Poetic justice that his bonehead move went a long way toward the loss and I was rooting for Nebrasks. Asante is a juco transfer senior so let's see how that works for him in the NFL.

Piware
12/6/2009, 06:15 PM
The horsecollar tackle was made by Larry Asante. He is the same guy that stood over an injured Sooner and taunted him. I've seen him do it a couple of times this year and, my memory may be faulty, but I think he was also ejected from a regular season game.

IMHO, he is a little thug. Poetic justice that his bonehead move went a long way toward the loss and I was rooting for Nebrasksa. Asante is a juco transfer senior so let's see how that works for him in the NFL.

Piware
12/6/2009, 06:16 PM
Duplicate - sorry!

kevpks
12/6/2009, 06:33 PM

So basically TRRW, by contributing to the adoption of the horse collar rule, did more to get Texas a championship than the TFRW ever did.

kevpks
12/6/2009, 06:33 PM

So basically TRRW, by contributing to the adoption of the horse collar rule, did more to get Texas a championship than the TFRW ever did.

kevpks
12/6/2009, 06:34 PM

kevpks
12/6/2009, 06:34 PM

soonerboy
12/6/2009, 06:48 PM

In the 50's and 60's you could punch each other in the face, and clotheslines were common forms of tackling.