PDA

View Full Version : 1 second costs OU $667,000

BermudaSooner
12/6/2009, 02:39 PM
That would have been our share of 2 teams going to the BCS versus just 1 team.

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 02:41 PM
Interesting monetary statistic, but if we'd wanted more money we should have taken care of that ourselves. ;) :D

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 02:49 PM
No doubt Curly.

There was lots more money to be made had the only game we lost been in Lubbock.

I'm not gonna dwell on the shoulda coulda wouldas when he still have a bunch of players who played their *** off against Aggie and have something to prove by winning a Bowl Game.

Go get em Boys!

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 03:02 PM
I'm not gonna dwell on our shoulda, wouldas either.

I am however waiting to see what if any changes Bob makes with the coaching staff. If things stay the exact same I'll prolly dwell on that a little bit. :D

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 03:12 PM
I'm not gonna dwell on our shoulda, wouldas either.

I am however waiting to see what if any changes Bob makes with the coaching staff. If things stay the exact same I'll prolly dwell on that a little bit. :D

I don't think any OU Fan wishes things to stay the same. If you don't like a guy because he's just an a-hole and you don't like him...I can see that.

The thing we might disagree on is that a Coach can't improve. I'd prefer to think we could see things improve without turning over our OC and DC every year. Yeah guys can become predictable but they can also have ups and downs during their career. Agreed that sometimes you just have to see a guy leave in order to improve....but I'll leave it up to Stoops to make the call.

I don't think he's as stubborn as some people think. Bob is a great Coach and should he (God Forbid) never win a NC again at Oklahoma....I'm still glad he turned things around for us in 1999. I'll always cherish my 2000 NC experience and he's the guy who led us to it.

Hang on to your hat until after the Bowl Game.

If we're going to see changes...I'm betting it won't be until after then.

ndpruitt03
12/6/2009, 03:18 PM
You aren't counting additional money from an upgrade in a bowl game.

TXHornsFan
12/6/2009, 07:13 PM
1 second costs OU $667,000.

And 4 losses.

BermudaSooner
12/6/2009, 10:21 PM
You aren't counting additional money from an upgrade in a bowl game.

All Big XII teams split the bowl proceeds.

9 Big XII teams are eligible for a bowl. The BCS bowls pay $17 million. The worst bowl Big XII teams go to pays about $1 million. So the payout for 2 teams going to a BCS bowl vs only 1 team is about 17 / 2 / 12 = $667,000.

So only 1 team going to BCS versus 2 teams is the key. Nothing really to do with OU's record specifically. In fact, that 1 second cost every Big XII team (including Texas) $667,000--although I'm sure Texas makes it up in merchandise sales--particularly if they were to win.