PDA

View Full Version : Florida coach Meyer checks himself into hospital

JLEW1818
12/6/2009, 01:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4719127

Florida football coach Urban Meyer admitted himself into Shands Medical Center in Gainesville, Fla., early Sunday morning and was treated for dehydration, according to school spokesman Steve McClain.

Meyer "is doing well now," McClain said.

Meyer checked himself into the hospital only hours after the No. 1 Gators lost to No. 2 Alabama 32-13 in the SEC championship game in Atlanta's Georgia Dome. Multiple attempts to reach Meyer and Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley were unsuccessful on Sunday.

Meyer didn't appear on his weekly TV coach's show Sunday. The Gators flew from Atlanta to Gainesville on Saturday night.

Meyer, 45, led Florida to BCS national championships in 2006 and '08 and has been one of college football's most successful coaches the last six seasons. The Gators finished 12-1 this season and their loss to the Crimson Tide cost them a chance at playing No. 3 Texas in the Jan. 7 Citi BCS National Championship Game in Pasadena, Calif.

Florida is expected to play No. 5 Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans on New Year's Day.

In a story published by Sports Illustrated this week, Meyer revealed that doctors discovered an arachnoid cyst on his brain when he worked as an assistant coach at Notre Dame in 1998. According to the report, doctors didn't consider the cyst to be life-threatening, but told Meyer he could suffer from head pain if the condition flared up because of stress.

Meyer is one of the country's highest-paid coaches after signing a six-year, $24 million contract with Florida in August. This season was one of his most difficult at Florida in terms of off-field distractions and problems. After returning quarterback Tim Tebow and all 11 defensive starters, the Gators were a popular favorite to win their second straight BCS national championship.

But several Gators battled bouts of swine flu heading into the team's 41-7 victory at Kentucky on Sept. 26, and then Tebow suffered a concussion during the fourth quarter of that game. All-America linebacker Brandon Spikes was suspended one game for trying to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey during a 41-17 win over the Bulldogs on Oct. 31.

On Nov. 6, Meyer was fined $30,000 by SEC commissioner Michael Slive for comments made about the officiating in Florida's win over Georgia. It was the first time a coach was fined under the SEC's stiffer penalties for criticizing officials.On Tuesday morning, Gators starting defensive Carlos Dunlap was arrested and charged with DUI. He was suspended from playing in the SEC championship game.

ESPN.com football writer Mark Schlabach and ESPN.com's Chris Low contributed to this report.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 01:54 PM
How does this happen to anyone associated with the team that brought us Gatorade?

Forget that endorsement deal.

OU-HSV
12/6/2009, 01:54 PM
Man I bet Rev Timmy is crying a river today after this news broke on top of everything else.

soonerhubs
12/6/2009, 01:58 PM
Photo op of Tebow ministering to Urban in the Hospital.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 01:58 PM
Wow. Didn't see that one coming.

Prayers for Urban. Hope he's OK.

Don't want to see anyone at 45 have trouble like that. I'm 19 and I hope I'm in good shape when I grow up. :D

JLEW1818
12/6/2009, 01:59 PM
ohhh I'm sure somebody is working on one!

Seamus
12/6/2009, 02:01 PM
Don't worry about Urban -- he'll be OK. Timmy is rushing over to give him some, um, fluids.

OUHOMER
12/6/2009, 02:08 PM
Dont you guys get it. He wasnt at the hospital, He was signing a deal with Notre Dame

RedstickSooner
12/6/2009, 02:13 PM
I still don't understand why Brandon Spikes was only suspended one game. If Meyer wouldn't nut up and do the right thing the SEC should've stepped in and handled it.

Many eye injuries are permanent -- and he was clearly, indisputably, deliberately trying to inflict such an injury. That bastard shouldn't play football again.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 02:15 PM
I still don't understand why Brandon Spikes was only suspended one game. If Meyer wouldn't nut up and do the right thing the SEC should've stepped in and handled it.

Many eye injuries are permanent -- and he was clearly, indisputably, deliberately trying to inflict such an injury. That bastard shouldn't play football again.

He was only suspended for a half.

Spikes removed himself from the other half of the Vandy game.

starclassic tama
12/6/2009, 02:17 PM
suicide watch

soonerhubs
12/6/2009, 02:19 PM
He was only suspended for a half.

Spikes removed himself from the other half of the Vandy game.

That wasn't a reflection of Spike's character guys. ;)

ouduckhunter
12/6/2009, 02:19 PM
How does this happen to anyone associated with the team that brought us Gatorade?

Forget that endorsement deal.

LOL! That is a classic!

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 02:37 PM
G2 the Comeback? :D

SoonerLB
12/6/2009, 03:01 PM
The coach is down? Heal Timmuh, HEAL!!!

Half a Hundred
12/6/2009, 03:08 PM
You tend to get dehydrated when you down a handle of Maker's Mark. Which is usually what "dehydration" cases are all about.

HolaKyle
12/6/2009, 03:09 PM
could the dehydration be caused by having too much to drink???

Scott D
12/6/2009, 04:42 PM
It's apparently (allegedly) related to a cyst that Meyer has on his brain. Or so it was being reported as earlier.

2k2 c5
12/6/2009, 04:50 PM
Gee, that's a lot of stress for one coach to endure during one season. Good thing he didn't have, oh, say, 8 starters lost for the year due to injury, huh?

redhawk49
12/6/2009, 05:00 PM
I tend to believe that he lost alot of yellow liquid when tebus threw that interception.

A-M
12/6/2009, 05:24 PM
Please tell me, How do you check yourself into a hospital? Doesn't a doctor, (not PhD type) have to do that?

AlbqSooner
12/6/2009, 05:36 PM
Dehydration = too many teardrops.

yermom
12/6/2009, 06:39 PM
Please tell me, How do you check yourself into a hospital? Doesn't a doctor, (not PhD type) have to do that?

yeah, it sounds more like a straight jacket kinda deal :D

85sooners
12/27/2009, 06:05 PM
:eek:

ictsooner7
12/27/2009, 06:14 PM
I'm a cynic. I was talking with my boys about his leaving and my wife. who follows college football because she cannot avoid it with four males always talking college football, doesn't even look up from her book and says - coed's.
I'm just sayin.................

Dan Thompson
12/27/2009, 06:21 PM
Tiger can be the only one.

boomermagic
12/28/2009, 12:50 PM
I'm a cynic. I was talking with my boys about his leaving and my wife. who follows college football because she cannot avoid it with four males always talking college football, doesn't even look up from her book and says - coed's.
I'm just sayin.................

I like your signature..