PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Droid Vs. iPhone 3GS

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 11:33 AM
I'm on AT&T but one of the guys I work with just got a Droid. The sound is amazing. It has a better speaker system than most laptops I've heard.

Any one else have one? I didn't get to play with it...but the guy that owned it said he was still trying to figure it all out.

r9YGvLHvUxQ

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 12:02 PM
It is the opinion of all my techie friends that teh HTC version is much better.

Having said that, Apple's positive is that they created this tangent in technology, use a browser that is long-proven and, although this is arguable, have an advantage of partnering with AT&T.

Just like iPhone, actual customer usage will dictate the necessary changes over time and this option to compete will become much better.

SoonerStud615
12/6/2009, 12:29 PM
You can expect any changes that become hits on the other touch-smart phones to appear on the next-gen iPhone, and more.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 12:41 PM
You can expect any changes that become hits on the other touch-smart phones to appear on the next-gen iPhone, and more.

This is what I was thinking.

I gotta tell you...the sound coming out of that phone is amazing and the camera is pretty darn good too.

I'm not going to replace mine right now anyway. Was just wondering if anyone had any actual hands on with the Droid.

Lott...you're right...Apple definitely is the cutting edge. It's good to see them try and make stuff that moves toward a industry standard instead of trying to make everything they do the industry standard.

The two biggies fighting are bad for the rest of our pocket books IMO.

Thanks guys.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 02:04 PM
ST, spek given to you courtesy of my iMac.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 02:11 PM
:D

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 02:20 PM
So...I've been thinking about picking up an iPhone, should I, should I wait, I'm cornfused!

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 02:29 PM
So...I've been thinking about picking up an iPhone, should I, should I wait, I'm cornfused!

CB, my iPhone 3G S is one of the most amazing pieces of technology I have ever owned.

The best part of the iPhone "system" is that it just keeps getting better. Had one now since Sept 07 and it just keeps evolving.

Example:

I am a photographer.
There is an App now that give total control of my DSLR to my iPhone, allowing me to preview a photo, adjust the aperture/shutter speed, ISO, zoom and white balance and then snap the pic, all from my phone. I am still amazed.

GottaHavePride
12/6/2009, 02:35 PM
I have an HTC phone and would love it except for the Windows Mobile software it's running. Next time around I'm getting one of the HTC droid phones.

(Side note: HTC is one of very few companies that makes phones that I don't feel like I'm going to crush during the course of normal use.)

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 02:39 PM
CB, my iPhone 3G S is one of the most amazing pieces of technology I have ever owned.

The best part of the iPhone "system" is that it just keeps getting better. Had one now since Sept 07 and it just keeps evolving.

Example:

I am a photographer.
There is an App now that give total control of my DSLR to my iPhone, allowing me to preview a photo, adjust the aperture/shutter speed, ISO, zoom and white balance and then snap the pic, all from my phone. I am still amazed.

So how long until the 3G Super S comes out and makes my 3G S obsolete if I decide to go get one?

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 02:51 PM
So how long until the 3G Super S comes out and makes my 3G S obsolete if I decide to go get one?

Very good question.

Let me put it this way. Many, many, many people still use and love their first-gen iPhone because it is continuously updated and isn't even a close resemblance to what it was when it first came out. I didn't really need to replace my 1st Gen with the 3G S, I just surf the innerwebs a lot on my phone and wanted it to be faster.

The updated first-gen iPhone has practically the same capabilities as the 3G S, with the exception of GPS (it does have triangulation which works pretty well in Maps), Video, MMS, 3G (obviously...the 1st Gen uses Edge), and it has a slower processor.

Not really obsolete, more like the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus...same car, different features.

I can't emphasize enough how fantastic it is that the iPhone updates from iTunes keep the phone's software and firmware in line with any new upgrades.

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 02:59 PM
Good info Lott. Obsolete was not really a good choice of words on my part, but more like when will something better come out.

Sounds like you're saying that if one got the 3G S it would be a good phone for them for a good while even if a newer iPhone does come out, and that the 3G S itself can be updated. That is something I really wasn't familiar with, that they can be updated through iTunes.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 03:13 PM
Good info Lott. Obsolete was not really a good choice of words on my part, but more like when will something better come out.

Sounds like you're saying that if one got the 3G S it would be a good phone for them for a good while even if a newer iPhone does come out, and that the 3G S itself can be updated. That is something I really wasn't familiar with, that they can be updated through iTunes.

Abso.

That is the best part. An iPhone, at least so far, is a very good investment.

It also isn't really a phone. It is more like an iMac that happens to have a phone, as well as the best iPod made.

I didn't ask before, CB you DO have AT&T?

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 03:21 PM
I do, and the last time I was in there they asked me if I was ready for an iPhone. I told them no then, but I'm beginning to think I might want one. I had a pal just get one, and he got the 3G and he loves it, so I'm thinking of topping his with the 3G S.

Thing is, I'm not normally a big tech person, I don't need the latest and greatest, but I think an iPhone might be something that even I would use and enjoy.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 03:45 PM
I've got these IPOD ear plugs that a Doctor made for me and right now I use my 4gb IPOD for when I'm working.

Does the Iphone have the same ear phone connection that the regular IPOD has? I'd like to get down to having only one device on me when I'm working and being able to listen through the ear buds and talk through the Iphone would be a plus also.

Can that be done or would I no longer be able to use the pre-formed ear buds?

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 03:50 PM
I've got these IPOD ear plugs that a Doctor made for me and right now I use my 4gb IPOD for when I'm working.

Does the Iphone have the same ear phone connection that the regular IPOD has? I'd like to get down to having only one device on me when I'm working and being able to listen through the ear buds and talk through the Iphone would be a plus also.

Can that be done or would I no longer be able to use the pre-formed ear buds?

Yes G, the connections are now the same. One of the other improvements to the 3G was changing to the universal receptor from the original 1st Gen's, which severely limited your options regarding headphones/earbuds.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 05:21 PM
SWEET!

yermom
12/6/2009, 06:53 PM
i think the 3G S is probably safe until this summer :D

i still have an original iPhone and it's awesome, but i could use the real GPS and faster processor

the Droid i played with was very unstable. they really seemed to rush that thing out there. it needs some time to mature

the new HTC Android stuff is better

sooneron
12/6/2009, 11:08 PM
Bought my 3G the day they went on sale for a c note and still love it.

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 11:10 PM
Yup, I'm gonna have to get one.

sooneron
12/6/2009, 11:14 PM
It seriously is a ridiculous piece of tech. I've barely scratched the surface of it and the games are a blast.

Lott- what app are you using with your dslr?

SteelCitySooner
12/7/2009, 12:25 AM
I have an iphone 3gs.. I freakin love it. I bought my girl a droid eris, and she hated it. The touchscreen was not usable for her at all. Ended up trading it in for a blackberry...she's on verizon so an iphone wasn't an option.

StoopTroup
12/7/2009, 06:20 AM
The guy I know is on Verizon as he lives near Locust Grove and the AT&T coverage is bad in his area outside there.

He wanted a nice phone so the Droid was the best they offer.

It caught my eye. I still think I'm leaning towards an Iphone in February. I have a BlackjackII right now that does what I need....but the new phones are all getting really usable for so many more things. It's incredible.

Good stuff everyone.

Thanks

ST

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2009, 09:41 AM
I got the iPhone so I could download the nokia snake game...

sooneron
12/7/2009, 11:35 AM
heh

yermom
12/7/2009, 11:46 AM
It seriously is a ridiculous piece of tech. I've barely scratched the surface of it and the games are a blast.

Lott- what app are you using with your dslr?

i was wondering that myself. i'd love to hear more about that setup

and Lott, you might be selling the iMac short a bit... the new ones are pretty tight :)

that 27" IPS screen is amazing. add the i7 processor and it should be blazing fast too

although, the 3G S probably does compare pretty well to one of the old Blueberry ones or something. which is pretty crazy

JohnnyMack
12/7/2009, 11:49 AM
I got the iPhone so I could download the nokia snake game...

Performed by adam sandler and conan o' brien :

"and now a buffoon's meeting with the dean of admissions at a prestigious college."

Dean: "well Michael, I would like to extend my warmest congradulations on your upcoming graduation and I understand you are interested in matriculating here in the fall."

Buffoon: "i got a snake, man!"

Dean: "yes, pets are welcome here on campus. be it the traditional dog, or cat, or even the occasional reptile."

Buffoon: "one time I fed it some beer man! it was slithering this way and that! it was all ****ed up!"

Dean: "i'm sure it was. well we discourage inappropriate drinking among both students and pets here on campus."

Buffoon: "****in' ****!"

Dean: "yes, that's a not uncommon reaction to this policy. so tell me a little bit more about your background."

Buffoon: "my father's a ****ing *******, man!"

Dean: "hmm, I see. your feelings of rebellion are not unusual at your age son."

Buffoon: "my mother's a piece of **** too!"

Dean: "well, I hope you can find an outlet for your hostility over the summer so you can come to school in the fall relaxed and ready to learn."

Buffoon: "my teacher in high school was a stupid bitch, man! she had her head way up her ***!"

Dean: "well the quality of the faculty at a university such as ours far exceeds that of a local public high school."

Buffoon: "your secretary's a real fat bitch, man!"

Dean: "yes, she's tried many diets over the years with minimal success."

Buffoon: "i had diarrhea last month. I had to **** all ****ing day!"

Dean: "uh huh, well we all get the occasional stomach bug, never a pleasurable experience. so have you given any thought to your choice of major? "

Buffoon: "I've got a big ****ing boner right now."

Dean: "i see. well sexual arousal is not uncommon during periods of nervous tension. I do not take offense."

Buffoon: "one time I ate my neighbors ****!"

Dean: "that's understandable. well, I enjoyed meeting you. we'll be sending you our decision by the end of the month."

Buffoon: "i bet you got really hairy balls."

Dean: "yes, it's a veritable forest down there. bye bye."

StoopTroup
12/7/2009, 05:08 PM
Performed by adam sandler and conan o' brien :

"and now a buffoon's meeting with the dean of admissions at a prestigious college."

Dean: "well Michael, I would like to extend my warmest congradulations on your upcoming graduation and I understand you are interested in matriculating here in the fall."

I just don't believe the Dean doesn't know how to spell Congradulations.

Did you make that story up? :D

soonerboomer93
12/7/2009, 09:43 PM
GHP try this link for custom roms for windows mobile. http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php? Personally I think windows mobile is fine (atleast the underneath), it's the bloat that the phone companies add can cause problems. They're also slow to update anything. Theres far more apps then most people think, it's just been lacking a central repository for them.

I have a 3Gs and it's okay

It's advantage is a very nice screen (better then my htc), better touch control in the browser and syncing with my songs purchased though itunes.

Personally, for me, the iPhone is terrible for e-mail. I'm running three accounts, non of the are push. I had so much more control over e-mail on my windows mobile phone, and navigation between the accounts was so much easier. I also have to delete mails off the phone weekly (if not more often) on my mail account. I know I could possibly improve some of it with mobile me, but frankly, I spent enough on the phone, apple care, and on fuggin itunes that I'm not spending any more for functionality that should have atleast been optional.

It also works like crap with my bluetooth. I knew they had bluetooth issues with motorola, but I'm not buying a new kit when I know it works fine.

I'll be looking for windows mobile 7 to come out. If it has the oled screens with increased touch capacity and the tegra or snap dragon chips, it will be hard to pass on. Especially with HTC really improving their touch interfaces. Honestly, I really prefer touchflo to the Apple interface.

The iPhone does support hspda 7.2 (now in Houston) but then so do the new HTC's.

The advantage though, if you're in an area of good Service is to AT&T 3g. It's hard to beat the ability to browse the web, send e-mail, etc while on the phone. I don't use it often, but there are times it's really handy.

StoopTroup
12/10/2009, 04:48 PM
I'm never starting a thread like this again.

I lost my phone last night.

I was pretty tired and I'm wondering if I did it on purpose....lol

GottaHavePride
12/10/2009, 05:28 PM
GHP try this link for custom roms for windows mobile. http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php? P

Man, that's WAY too complicated for me.

Well, ok, it's not TOO complicated, but I don't feel like spending a month figuring out how to do all that stuff right. ;)

sooneron
12/10/2009, 05:30 PM
I'm never starting a thread like this again.

I lost my phone last night.

I was pretty tired and I'm wondering if I did it on purpose....lol
My Moto krzr crashed the day before the iphone 3g went to $99. A sign from God, right there...:gary:

Curly Bill
12/10/2009, 10:42 PM
Picked up a 3GS last night.

So far I'm liking it.

yermom
12/10/2009, 11:16 PM
i guess the new firmware fixed the Droid's stability issues, from what i can tell

i still love my iPhone

soonerboomer93
12/11/2009, 10:24 AM
Man, that's WAY too complicated for me.

Well, ok, it's not TOO complicated, but I don't feel like spending a month figuring out how to do all that stuff right. ;)

some phones are easier then others. really, it takes about 5-10 minutes to figure out if they have a good guide that links all the software you need. My tilt I actually messed around with too much, I could have just downloaded the HTC factory rom from the get go and then put the manilla2d skin on it.

StoopTroup
12/12/2009, 07:00 PM
Found my phone.

Gonna have to wait till February now. :(

jkjsooner
5/29/2010, 10:02 AM
Ok, guys, any new word on the iPhone 3GS vs Motorolla Droid? I'm finally ready to upgrade to a smart phone.

The ridiculous thing is that my Verizon contract expired about 3 years ago and because I didn't want a new contract I never got a new phone. I could have had a couple of free ones by now...

Things I have to consider:

1. I'm currently on Verizon so the Droid would be easier.
2. My Verizon service in my house isn't great. I usually have one bar.
3. My wife has an iPhone and I love the way its setup. She also has full bars on it.
4. This is the big one. My wife's iPhone simply doesn't work well. Every time she tries to bring up a web page or make/receive a call it fails the first time. The bars/3G/E/wireless icons all drop off and come back a few seconds later. The second try usually works. This is horrible for receiving calls.

She did grab all the latest software and it might be a little more stable now and it's best if she disables 3G. It's still far from perfect.

If I could convince myself she just has a bad phone I'd give the iPhone a serious look - especially since Verizon coverage at my house is spotty. It looks that way as many of my friends do not have similar problems.

She took the phone to the Apple store but at the time she hadn't upgraded her software in a long time so they wanted her to do that first.

Oh, and I live on the East Coast and the AT&T networks supposedly is overloaded here.

What do you think?

StoopTroup
5/29/2010, 10:12 AM
I got my IPhone a few months ago and most of the droid owners I know have them because the coverage phonewise is better than the IPhone. They however all seem to be jealous of us IPhone users andour little cliches. :D.

I do drop some calls and coverage in Tulsa isn't 100% but this damn thing rocks and if I lost it...my world would come crashing down.

jkjsooner
5/29/2010, 12:04 PM
I got my IPhone a few months ago and most of the droid owners I know have them because the coverage phonewise is better than the IPhone. They however all seem to be jealous of us IPhone users andour little cliches. :D.

I do drop some calls and coverage in Tulsa isn't 100% but this damn thing rocks and if I lost it...my world would come crashing down.

Yeah, and that's why I'm seriously considering the iPhone despite the piece of crap my wife has. (Hopefully she can get that resolved.)

I did a test on her phone. We were connected to our wireless router and I went to the App Store. Pretty much every time I clicked on something it said "Cannot Connect to the App Store" for about 10 seconds and then it would come up. If I scrolled in the App Store I'd get that message every 30 or so seconds while scrolling. It's very annoying. I've even configured my router so that it has the configuration everyone says is best for the phone and like I said 3G is even worse the E or the wireless router.

yermom
5/29/2010, 12:15 PM
it seems i hear AT&T connectivity complaints in the big markets all the time. i don't think they have caught up with all their demand from the iPhone, still

i just didn't like the feel of the Droid, but they are both old news now. the new iPhone is coming out this summer by most accounts, and HTC keeps coming out with new Android phones that are likely better than the Motorola one

SoonerStud615
5/29/2010, 04:56 PM
99% sure a new iPhone will be revealed by Apple on June 7th. If those leaked prototypes (http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone) are any indication + what we already know about OS 4.0 (http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/) this thing is going to be in a class of its own.

OklaPony
5/29/2010, 05:10 PM
And on a related note...

Anyone ventured into Motorola Backflip land?

delhalew
5/29/2010, 05:48 PM
I have an HTC phone and would love it except for the Windows Mobile software it's running. Next time around I'm getting one of the HTC droid phones.

(Side note: HTC is one of very few companies that makes phones that I don't feel like I'm going to crush during the course of normal use.)

For people who like HTC and are on Sprint, their new droid phone is pretty awesome and Sprint has rolled out 4G in some areas.

jiminy
5/30/2010, 11:36 AM
I've had a Moto droid for a couple of months now... my brother and I were playing with each other's phone the other day (he has an I3GS) . In the end, he didn't want a Droid and I didn't want an Iphone. They do things a little differently. I've never had an I-anything, so am not invested in the Apple way of doing things. We did both note that the Droid's screen was much clearer and sharper - 854x480 vs 480x320 I think. The next Iphone will be a better match... Also, using the Ookla speed test app simultaneously on 3G, the Droid measured twice as fast - probably due more to traffic than anything else. The iphone had a ridiculous ping time, it was over 1000ms. The droid was ~100ms. You could go online gaming with that.

Re open development - all you have to do is download the free Android SDK, and the free Eclipse development environment, and you can be writing and running your own apps in a few hours... you have to jail break an Iphone to do that. That was my biggest reason to go with the Droid...

crawfish
5/31/2010, 10:13 AM
I cracked the screen on my iphone the other day, and looking into either upgrading to the 3gs or moving to Verizon (my term is up in July) and getting the HTC Incredible. I was really, really impressed with the HTC in the few minutes I played with one at the store, but I am worried that in the end it won't work as fluidly as my iphone.

Although, like jiminy, the appeal of writing apps without having to get Commandant Jobs' approval or breaking my warranty is a strong pull.

StoopTroup
5/31/2010, 11:42 AM
I cracked the screen on my iphone the other day, and looking into either upgrading to the 3gs or moving to Verizon (my term is up in July) and getting the HTC Incredible. I was really, really impressed with the HTC in the few minutes I played with one at the store, but I am worried that in the end it won't work as fluidly as my iphone.

Although, like jiminy, the appeal of writing apps without having to get Commandant Jobs' approval or breaking my warranty is a strong pull.

A guy I work with did the same thing and saw some youtube video on how to replace the screen himself. I haven't talked with him as to how it eventuallu turned out but at one point he said that folks who like to DIY and fix stuff need to be careful as Apple has changed some of the way they assemble the new phones and even though you can buy the parts for your phone...it isn't as easy as some of those DIY videos on YouTube woul have you believe it is.

crawfish
5/31/2010, 02:07 PM
A guy I work with did the same thing and saw some youtube video on how to replace the screen himself. I haven't talked with him as to how it eventuallu turned out but at one point he said that folks who like to DIY and fix stuff need to be careful as Apple has changed some of the way they assemble the new phones and even though you can buy the parts for your phone...it isn't as easy as some of those DIY videos on YouTube woul have you believe it is.

I saw that same video, and read plenty of articles stating that the risks of doing it yourself are quite high. All I know is, my hardware/tool skills probably mean the chance the phone would work correctly afterward are pretty slim.

soonerloyal
6/1/2010, 03:57 PM
Damn Droid phone makes me think of Terminator. I just don't trust too-smart machinery. It ain't fittin'.

yermom
6/1/2010, 05:21 PM
I saw that same video, and read plenty of articles stating that the risks of doing it yourself are quite high. All I know is, my hardware/tool skills probably mean the chance the phone would work correctly afterward are pretty slim.

dude. it's a pain in the ***.

those things are not meant to come apart by a normal person

OUMonster
6/2/2010, 01:11 PM
I've had a Droid since around the time they came out and am pretty happy with it.