PDA

View Full Version : The Pelini brothers were extremely angry.

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 09:42 AM
I do not blame them.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2...IGRED/712069849

Heartbreaker's haze sees anger and confusion

Carl Pelini marched off the field, advanced a few steps into the dark tunnel. Then he turned back toward the euphoric Texas celebration at midfield.

His emotions burst.

“You should be ashamed to accept that trophy!” the NU defensive coordinator yelled, pointing at the Longhorns.

You outta be ashamed to accept that trophy!” he screamed again, then again.

Seconds later, his younger brother erupted, too.

Bo Pelini had played it cool walking off the field, telling Texas coaches to go win a national title.

But he heard about a conflict at the threshold of the tunnel. Seemed a Texas fan and somebody from NU had exchanged words.

Bo marched toward the scene. Who was it? Bo wanted to engage the Texas fan.

Told nothing happened, he went back toward the locker room, where he saw Marc Boehm, NU assistant athletic director.

“Marc, I want to see (Big 12 head of officiating) Walt Anderson in there right (expletive) now!” Pelini shouted.

“BCS!” Pelini said as he entered the locker room. “That's why they make that call!”

Nebraska lost another heartbreaker to Texas Saturday. You saw it. Felt it. What you didn't feel were the post-game aftershocks reverberating through the concrete tunnels of Cowboys Stadium.

It hit hardest the Pelinis, who nearly orchestrated a monumental upset.

The reason why they didn't, according to Bo's and Carl's immediate reactions, was the officials' decision to add one second to the game clock after Colt McCoy's last throw out of bounds.

Originally, the clock expired, sending a flood of Nebraska players onto the field. But a review changed that call, led to Texas' game-winning kick and sent the Pelinis into madness.

According to Dan Beebe, Big 12 commissioner, officials did the right thing.

According to Walt Anderson, officials did the right thing. Where was the clock when the ball hit something out of bounds?

“There was a second left,” Anderson said.

But nothing or nobody could convince Bo Pelini.

“I want an explanation!” Pelini yelled outside his locker room.

Standing in that tunnel quietly watching him: Harvey Perlman, Paul Meyers, Eric Crouch.

“Get Coach Osborne down here!” Pelini said. “Can you go get Coach Osborne?”

Minutes later, Athletic Director Tom Osborne walked slowly toward the locker room in black trench coat. He entered the double doors to meet Pelini.

From outside the doors, one word could be heard loudest: “Cheaters!”

Then Osborne strode back to the field, where Texas was wrapping up its trophy presentation. En route to midfield, Osborne said to a World-Herald reporter: “Where is Dan Beebe?''

Beebe was standing at the 40-yard line talking to Assistant Commissioner Ed Stewart, a former Nebraska All-America linebacker.

As Osborne reached Beebe, the commissioner extended his hand. But Osborne didn't shake it. Osborne pointed at Beebe and said, “Would you go see Bo? Right now?''

By then, Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman had come on to the field. Perlman and Osborne walked with Beebe off the field and down a stadium tunnel.

The three exchanged no words on the walk. Down the tunnel, Osborne walked three steps in front of Beebe and Perlman walked to Beebe's right.

As Osborne walked, The World-Herald asked if Nebraska would appeal any part of the game. His answer: “I don't know.''

Beebe went immediately to the post-game press conference and waited for Pelini.

Pelini lightened up a bit during the question-and-answer session. He even cracked a joke. But when he left, Osborne called to him.

“Bo! Bo! Dan Beebe's here.”

Beebe suggested he and Pelini talk in private. They walked into a quiet area near some shiny SUVs, 100 feet from anyone else. Yet Bo and the occasional curse word could still be heard.

Osborne watched the meeting with Pelini's brother, Vince.

Time ran out, Vince told him. They took it from us, Vince said.

Osborne, whose facial expression never changed, calmed him: “I've been on both ends.”

Pelini's meeting with Beebe lasted just a couple of minutes.

Beebe wouldn't reveal the details of his conversation with Pelini — “That's between he and me” — but Beebe said he understood why Pelini was upset.

At that point, Beebe hadn't seen the controversial play, but he'd been on the phone with Big 12 staff, who said officials got it right by adding one second to the game clock.

“I'll be more comfortable when I can see it,” Beebe said.

Any concern the call is perceived as conspiratorial?

No, Beebe said. From the reports he'd heard, “there was time when the ball hit the ground.”

By that time, Carl Pelini had cooled off. He stood outside the locker room, back against a wall, heaping praise on his defense like never before.

“They played like champions. And they are champions.”

A reporter asked Carl what this one felt like, to lose in that way.

“I only had one emotion,” he said. “Anger.”

--World-Herald Staff Writer Lee Barfknecht contributed to this report

IronHorseSooner
12/6/2009, 09:52 AM
It's ironic that Dr. Tom was involved with this, because he originally believed that when we formed the Big XII, we sold our souls to texa$$. Our red-clad brethren to the north now can understand why we despise texa$$ more than any other institution on this planet. Let's see now how many Big XII coaches (past or present) have complained about this same stuff:

KU- Mangino
Tech- Leach
Mizzou- Pinkel
NU- Pellini

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 09:54 AM
It's ironic that Dr. Tom was involved with this, because he originally believed that when we formed the Big XII, we sold our souls to texa$$. Our red-clad brethren to the north now can understand why we despise texa$$ more than any other institution on this planet. Let's see now how many Big XII coaches (past or present) have complained about this same stuff:

KU- Mangino
Tech- Leach
Mizzou- Pinkel
NU- Pellini

If Stoops wasnt a no excuse type we could add his name on there too.

IronHorseSooner
12/6/2009, 10:06 AM
If Stoops wasnt a no excuse type we could add his name on there too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has said some things off-the-record, or one of his coaches would have. He's cut from the same cloth as the Pellinis, and views the game much the same way. I also wouldn't be shocked if other coaches (i.e. Gundy, Sherman, Briles, Snyder, Hawkins) haven't said much the same thing. How anybody with any integrity can allow texa$$ to participate in games with refs from their own stinking town, and who have personal links to their program (Cristal and Bible), boggles the mind. The best set of administrators and officials, strangely enough, come from the Big East. The SEC, PAC-10, and Big XII's officials and admin personnel are shady, at the least. The Big 10/11 and the ACC are just inept.

Flagstaffsooner
12/6/2009, 10:12 AM
Seemed a Texas fan and somebody from NU had exchanged words.
Imagine that.:D

Partial Qualifier
12/6/2009, 10:19 AM
If I were a Nebraska fan, that Omaha World/Herald article would embarrass the hell out of me.

And I would hope to hell Stoops would question the kicker's mentality while kicking off out-of-bounds, and the dumbass safety for horsecollaring Shipley immediately afterwards, rather than the officials (who obviously made the correct calls).

Thanks to those two boneheaded plays: Boom-Boom, within 20 seconds the Longhorns had the ball at the nebraska 35 yard line. Game, set, match.

stoopified
12/6/2009, 10:23 AM
I agree NU got screwed but Leach (of all people ) has no right to Bitch about officials.

Partial Qualifier
12/6/2009, 10:29 AM
take the blinders off

JohnnyMack
12/6/2009, 10:33 AM
I understand the redass Pelini's were upset (they usually are), but anyone with half a brain could see that there was 1 second left on the clock.

Jacie
12/6/2009, 11:05 AM
The Pelinis' argument has no leg to stand on. Officials are not the reason sa*et won, two nebbish miscues on the game-winning drive sealed their fate. The clock was correctly reset to 1 second. Bo wasn't complaining when the official in the replay booth took another look at a spot that gave his team a first down earlier so he should duck his head and shut up.

yermom
12/6/2009, 11:07 AM
it's gotta feel a lot different from the sideline vs. watching on TV though

MI Sooner
12/6/2009, 11:08 AM
What a bunch of whiny bitches! There was a second left on the clock when the ball landed out of bounds. The refs on the field screwed it up, not the replay official. And while Mack and Colt are a couple of dumb-asses for the way they handled the clock at the end, they won the game fair and square.

I feel like I'm living in bizarro worrld. The Big XII had every incentive for Nebraska to win that game, so they could have had two BCS teams and gotten another 12+ million. And Colt McCoy's interview afterward, where he said something like "I looked at the clock before the play, so I knew we had a second or two left," I mean WTF?!?

I think we need to get rid of that official atomic clock in Greenwich, and just use Colt's inner "one one-thousand, two one-thousand" as the world's standard for timekeeping, if he's that accurate.

**** Texas, but Jesus I'm losing my respect for Pelini for being mad about the officials after that game instead of his dumb**** kicker.

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 11:14 AM
I understand the redass Pelini's were upset (they usually are), but anyone with half a brain could see that there was 1 second left on the clock.

and if you listen to the replay, you can hear the whistles being blown before the clock went to zero.

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 11:17 AM
and if you listen to the replay, you can hear the whistles being blown before the clock went to zero.

If you watch every college game this year you will see seconds tick off after every play.....but they arent reviewed.

tulsaoilerfan
12/6/2009, 11:17 AM
No one can blame the Pelini's for being upset immediately after the game; when you put your heart and soul into something and come close only to have it snatched away after you thought you had won it their reaction is no different than probably 90% of the coaches in America would have had; not saying they are right just saying i can understand their frustration

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 11:20 AM
It's to bad the game had to be decided by a call on the field.

+exas should have dominated Nebraska if they wanted a shot. OU fans heard these cries from whorn fans last year.

How quickly some folks who say "Take the blinders off" forget.

mack and his band of merry whorn fans know they sucked last night. They know they better get their **** together if the BCS does indeed give them the shot.

I don't blame Pelini for being mad. He out-Coached mack brown and his entire Coaching staff last night.

I'd be embarrassed to buy a ticket to Pasadena if I was a whorn fan.

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 11:22 AM
If you watch every college game this year you will see seconds tick off after every play.....but they arent reviewed.

sooooo, that makes it right?

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 11:23 AM

soooooo, that makes it right?:D

delhalew
12/6/2009, 11:23 AM

There was a second on the clock, but when was the whistle blown? Apparently, it wasn't. Would we get a do over? Would Neb get do over?
Is that even reviewable. I don't know. What I do know is Colt should be able to manage clock, in that scenario, well enough to avoid this scenario.

fadada1
12/6/2009, 11:24 AM
too many games decided by replay. while replay has helped some, it has also hurt a ton. A LOT of the games would've ended differently just 5 years ago - including some of ours.

i watched the game and saw the clock hit "00". to me, that's the end of the game. obviously pelini thought the same thing.

unfortunatley, imo, there is just no right answer to replay.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 11:26 AM
Guys like this make last night's call an easy one.

pgKT25J6hd8

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 11:28 AM

If Texas didnt have a history of getting every crucial call, this would not be an issue. Since the Big 12 will not address it, you will continue to have coaches complain about Texas getting calls.

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 11:29 AM
Guys like this make last night's call an easy one.

pgKT25J6hd8

Stoop can U please post this after Bama wins?

Indy Sooner
12/6/2009, 11:30 AM
What I do know is Colt should be able to manage clock, in that scenario, well enough to avoid this scenario.

What he did manage well was removing himself from winning the Heisman yesterday.

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 11:30 AM
If Texas didnt have a history of getting every crucial call, this would not be an issue. Since the Big 12 will not address it, you will continue to have coaches complain about Texas getting calls.

and in last night's case, those coaches would be incorrect.

Blues1
12/6/2009, 11:33 AM
too many games decided by replay. while replay has helped some, it has also hurt a ton. A LOT of the games would've ended differently just 5 years ago - including some of ours.

i watched the game and saw the clock hit "00". to me, that's the end of the game. obviously pelini thought the same thing.

unfortunatley, imo, there is just no right answer to replay.

What I've seen and believe - Is many Teams lose their **Momentun** during those Fuc**** Video reviews - It's like giving the other team a time out when the other team is ready to Rock --- Especially those reviews inside the Red Zone Ten Yard line

My Opinion -- Allow Video Four Reviews a game, After that F*** it you are on your OWN ~~~ :)

Partial Qualifier
12/6/2009, 11:33 AM
How quickly some folks who say "Take the blinders off" forget.

Take the blinders off.

:D

Jacie
12/6/2009, 11:34 AM

Last year my main complaint was that the sa*et fans were crybabies.

This year my rant is focused on one player, whorn lineman Ulatoski, who never gets called for holding but would be a third stringer if tried to play a game without doing so.

I did get some satisfaction that another of Mack's O-lineboys got flagged twice for trying to chop block Suh . . .

Soonerman08
12/6/2009, 11:34 AM
The Pelinis' argument has no leg to stand on. Officials are not the reason sa*et won, two nebbish miscues on the game-winning drive sealed their fate. The clock was correctly reset to 1 second. Bo wasn't complaining when the official in the replay booth took another look at a spot that gave his team a first down earlier so he should duck his head and shut up.

However, he could complain about those two bull**** pass interference calls that went against Nebraska.

Sonner magic923
12/6/2009, 11:49 AM
pelini has every right to b pissed, i mean can u imagine if this were the other way around? mack and co. would be raising hell right now calling congressman judges presidents anybody that would listen to em.

I can just see the banners now at the fiesta bowl ....THE CLOCK RAN OUT....

49r
12/6/2009, 11:50 AM
Osborne, whose facial expression never changed, calmed him: “I've been on both ends.”

This is an astute observation. Say what you will but the man has perspective on the matter. Bad calls happen to everyone and everyone has the right to bitch and complain all they want when they don't go their way. But in the end it doesn't change anything, I suppose that's one of the "fun" things about football.

Good or bad, the one thing the Pellinis have in spades is passion and you can tell the players really respond to that. That's what kept NU in the game last night. Not talent, not skill...but passion which is 1000 times better than the UT automatons playing robot football.

Go Bama. (That almost hurts to say)

Partial Qualifier
12/6/2009, 11:56 AM
I guess I was just too shocked at the size of the pooch Nebraska screwed on that last drive. My usual dislike of Texas wasn't stuck on swole enough to think this was a bad call.

The kickoff, omg. And the horsecollar -- the most automatic 15-yarder in all of football -- DUDE, WTF WERE YOU GUYS THINKING.

westbrooke
12/6/2009, 11:57 AM
Right on about Osborne. I remember watching the '94 Orange Bowl when they put time back on the clock so Nebraska could attempt (and miss) a GW FG against Florida State. It was right then, and it was right last night. Doesn't excuse Texas for playing a ****-poor game or McCoy for imagining six extra seconds on the clock, but the ending wasn't shady, just heartbreaking.

GimmeRed
12/6/2009, 11:59 AM

Johnny keep in mind all of this took place without Bo or Carl having seen any of the replays that the rest of us have seen many times.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm making excuses for bad behavior, this is something us Husker fans are getting use to and actually I'm not bothered by it. We have a very intense Head coach and DC. I am willing to take the good with the bad.

I did notice that Bo was able to tone it down this year anytime it was Erin Andrews who was asking the questions. Maybe Dr Tom just need to put her on our staff. :)

westbrooke
12/6/2009, 12:07 PM
Johnny keep in mind all of this took place without Bo or Carl having seen any of the replays that the rest of us have seen many times.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm making excuses for bad behavior, this is something us Husker fans are getting use to and actually I'm not bothered by it. We have a very intense Head coach and DC. I am willing to take the good with the bad.

I did notice that Bo was able to tone it down this year anytime it was Erin Andrews who was asking the questions. Maybe Dr Tom just need to put her on our staff. :)

Excellent point, and spot on. I don't blame Bo or anyone else for being upset about it. He was just fighting for his team. I'm sure he's cooled off since then. And I'm glad to see him bringing the program back. We all benefit from having strong competition in the north.

Partial Qualifier
12/6/2009, 12:08 PM

Mine too! Literally OR figuratively speaking..... :)

delhalew
12/6/2009, 12:09 PM
You should be happy you have a coach with passion. I like me some Pellini's.

I know that was your point. I'm just agreeing.:D

PDXsooner
12/6/2009, 12:11 PM
that was child's play compared to what happened at oregon. if it were oregon they would have not only added a second but signaled "touchdown. oregon" and run off the field.

Blues1
12/6/2009, 12:14 PM
The Worst Pissed -- " Is the one where you are Pissed at yourself " .....

They got to be going nuts on this Sunday morning.....

Meanwhile Back at the Ranch.....

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 12:14 PM
Stoop can U please post this after Bama wins?

I can't wait to post it on whornfans when bama wins. You know It'll be another one of my Life Bans over there. It's been a few years since the last one. :D

Also...

There are plenty of variables to discuss about last night's game ending Scenario. I think we could dig deeper and deeper into it all to develop many varying opinions about what could be done to improve the Game so that it doesn't get decided in the Public Court of Appeals....

None of us have much power as individuals to have a say...but collectively as Fans of the Game...I think we do.

I say keep calling it a travesty.

Calls like what we saw last night aren't good for College Football.

Last night reminds me of when Reggie Bush pushed Matt Leinart into the EZ again Notre Dame for a win. Was it a good No Call or should Notre Dame have been given the win? We'll never know but the game still stands as a reminder of how not everything goes your way when you bring it down to the wire.

Nebraska didn't help their situation in the final drive...+exas didn't deserve the win either. It stands as The Worst Big XII Championship Game ever IMO.

Here's the suc game I'm talking about.

weu3ShNvyvE&feature=fvw

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 12:15 PM
that was child's play compared to what happened at oregon. if it were oregon they would have not only added a second but signaled "touchdown. oregon" and run off the field.

That was criminal.

Veritas
12/6/2009, 12:19 PM
1) Nebraska got ****ed by the refs who added one second back to the clock so the rich kids could win.
2) Before all that though, Nebraska ****ed itself by making two asinine plays: kicking the ball out of bounds and horse-collaring a player. Without these two ridiculous errors, this whole :01/1 thing never happens.

Nebraska played the **** out of that game, and we did it all on one side of the ball. Unfortunately we made two unacceptable mistakes that tipped the balance. We just didn't have room for those errors.

All that said, **** mother****ing UTerus right in the goatass. I hope Bama hangs half a hundred on them. I didn't think I could hate those ****ing asswipes more. Turns out I can.

SoonerLB
12/6/2009, 12:25 PM
Hey Veritas, no need to hold back, LOL! ;)

Veritas
12/6/2009, 12:28 PM
Hey Veritas, no need to hold back, LOL! ;)
:)

Ya know, I never really had much of an issue with the whorns until I lived in Dallas and spent tons of time in Austin. Then I figured out why everyone hates them.

I hate myself for having pulled for them against USC a few years back. In hindsight, I wish USC had won.

illinisooner
12/6/2009, 12:39 PM
The issue is not with the fact that the ball hit out of bounds with a second left. The issue is with the fact that they had to review the time (not reviewable) and because there's several plays a game where the clock runs for like 2 more seconds after a field goal is kicked and the ball goes out of bounds. Don't even give me the whole "but at least we have replay to get it right" because I'll bring up Tech and Oregon, where replay was used and painfully, the correct calls were not made.

JohnnyMack
12/6/2009, 12:44 PM
The ref has every right to correct an egregious error.

If you look at this objectively and without hatred for Texas, you'll see that the ref did the right thing.

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 12:46 PM

If you look at this objectively and without hatred for Texas, you'll see that the ref did the right thing.

I will never look at anything without hatred for Texas. For you to ask that is classless and disgusting and one of the sickest request I have ever seen on soonerfans!!!

Sonner magic923
12/6/2009, 12:47 PM

i wish i could but my hatred for * is just to overbearing :D

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 12:47 PM

But did he is the question?

Which clock was right? Who was the guy responsible for keeping the correct time? Why did it only take 22 seconds to make the call?

Plenty of things to speculate IMO

Not a pretty win at all.

JohnnyMack
12/6/2009, 12:48 PM
If it was Sam Bradford and OU and not Colt McCoy and Texas in this exact same situation, no one would be bitching.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 12:51 PM
If it was Sam Bradford and OU and not Colt McCoy and Texas in this exact same situation, no one would be bitching.

I'm pretty sure whorns fans would bitch. They set the bar much higher last year.

JohnnyMack
12/6/2009, 12:55 PM
But did he is the question?

Which clock was right? Who was the guy responsible for keeping the correct time? Why did it only take 22 seconds to make the call?

Plenty of things to speculate IMO

Not a pretty win at all.

No it wasn't a pretty win. And trust me I wish those **********s had lost, but the ref wasn't cheating or showing favoritism.

Grassy knoll!!!

CIA!!!

Lone gunman!!!

Some of you people sound nuts.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2009, 12:58 PM
The refs do correct the clock during the game when the clock operator messes up. It usually takes a big mistake like they forgot the start the clock for an entire play or forget to stop it at all after an incompletion. They don't usually sweat a few seconds during the meat of the game, but they watch it like a hawk at the end of a game if the game is on the line. I don't understand all the angst over this ruling. If it were OU instead of UT, would everyone feel like we got away with one instead feeling it was called correctly? If it were OU instead of UT and the refs *didn't* stop the clock, I'd be calling for a congressional investigation.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 01:00 PM
No it wasn't a pretty win. And trust me I wish those **********s had lost, but the ref wasn't cheating or showing favoritism.

Grassy knoll!!!

CIA!!!

Lone gunman!!!

Some of you people sound nuts.

Driven is all.

OU Fans endured the largest bunch of south of the Red River whiners I've ever seen last year.

They deserve every bit of speculation not only for what they said about the Big XII Champs who throttled Mizzou...but also for the performance their team had last night to head into a gimme position and a NMC shot.

I'm disgusted that they are the Big XII Representative.

They don't deserve the shot. If you think they do....

Your nuts.

sooneron
12/6/2009, 01:05 PM
No one can really bitch when the correct call was made in the long run.

JohnnyMack
12/6/2009, 01:05 PM
I think they'll get beat by 2 td's. I think their schedule this year was a joke, but who else deserves a shot? Not TCU or Boise. The only other program from a BCS conference who has a right to bitch is Cincinnati. And I happen to think that Texas would beat them head to head.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 01:11 PM
I've not seen much love for the Bearcats around here...but I did think they really showed that they can play football. They looked beat flat in the first half yesterday and on a very cold Steeler Day in Pittsburgh against PITT...they came back to win.

I enjoyed watching that game very much.

It probably didn't help my attitude much when I saw what transpired at jerry world last night.

Did +exas suck or what? :D

sooneron
12/6/2009, 01:11 PM
* would beat a Pike led cincy team, they'd have their hands full with the back up dude w/ the wheels.

sooneron
12/6/2009, 01:13 PM
I've not seen much love for the Bearcats around here...but I did think they really showed that they can play football. They looked beat flat in the first half yesterday and on a very cold Steeler Day in Pittsburgh against PITT...they came back to win.

I enjoyed watching that game very much.

It probably didn't help my attitude much when I saw what transpired at jerry world last night.

Did +exas suck or what? :D

Cincy also got a couple of suspect calls go their way. Don't get me wrong, I was pulling for them, but the refs helped them out in the last five minutes.

Veritas
12/6/2009, 01:14 PM

Mack's right. I'm not going to cry about the refs because that's something the dirty babyraping whorns would do. :)

We had a slim margin for error and we exceeded it twice on that last drive. End of story.

And Dr Tom was right in what he said to Pelini...calls go for you, calls go against you. It sucks, but that's just how it is.

Funky G
12/6/2009, 01:15 PM
The officiating in the state of Texas is one of the reasons Arkansas moved to the SEC. The game was, however, not decided on the last second call, as I believe there was a second left on the clock. Nebraska mistakes on the last drive gave Texas the opportunity to win. But, the Texas OL held all night. It was reprehensible that no holding was called. There was also a terrible Pass Interference call that kept drives alive. Hopefully, the officiating will be even in the MNC game.

AzianSooner
I hate all cheater espcially the cheaters is my beloved texasssssss.

But, time on tivi on replay can be manipulated as well. Sirs.

bluedogok
I guess I was just too shocked at the size of the pooch Nebraska screwed on that last drive. My usual dislike of Texas wasn't stuck on swole enough to think this was a bad call.

The kickoff, omg. And the horsecollar -- the most automatic 15-yarder in all of football -- DUDE, WTF WERE YOU GUYS THINKING.
I wonder if the kickoff was called to be one of those corner kicks to pin the runner against the boundary...I hate those, just kick the thing deep and cover all the lanes instead of getting cute with the kickoff. Directional punting works much more often than directional kickoffs.

The officiating in the state of Texas is one of the reasons Arkansas moved to the SEC.
It wouldn't bother me to just go back to the Big 8, I know that it will never happen but I can wish.....

sooneron
12/6/2009, 01:19 PM
I wonder if the kickoff was called to be one of those corner kicks to pin the runner against the boundary...I hate those, just kick the thing deep and cover all the lanes instead of getting cute with the kickoff. Directional punting works much more often than directional kickoffs.

It wouldn't bother me to just go back to the Big 8, I know that it will never happen but I can wish.....

Of course, there's no penalty if it goes OOB. I think the newish 40 yd line rule sucks and is too penalizing.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 01:22 PM
It wouldn't hurt my feelings if +exas pulled out of the Big XII.

I'm betting the RRSO would eventually come to an end if they did. Their own pompousness never ceases to amaze.

bluedogok
12/6/2009, 01:42 PM
I don't think UT would leave, the Big 12 is like an ATM machine spitting out money at them, they are in an advantageous position, just where they always think they should be.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 01:45 PM
You wouldn't think they would but they are such a....

Nevermind. You all know...

AzianSooner
12/6/2009, 01:46 PM
Last year, Mack stired the trouble and crying voice over the unfairness treatment toward texass v.s. OU.

He made a lot of people think OU is a trouble maker who stole the chance from texass.

I am so happy this year, he is the target of dislike at least to the few million people in Nebraska.

Confusus said what goes around, comes around.

Sooner Eclipse
12/6/2009, 01:51 PM
I don't think UT would leave, the Big 12 is like an ATM machine spitting out money at them, they are in an advantageous position, just where they always think they should be.

Never underestimate the sheer amount of UT's arrogance and stupidity to overcome reason and common sense.

bluedogok
12/6/2009, 01:52 PM
The fans are one thing but their decision makers like DeLoss Dodds know where their bread is buttered. They were struggling after the Hogs left the SWC and made it into a Texas only conference which didn't entice the networks (and their money) much...the Big 8 bailed them (and the other Texas schools) out big time.

I think it would have to be like the WAC/MWC deal. When the WAC added all the SWC leftovers, Tulsa and others some of the original WAC schools got fed up with the interlopers and split to form the Mountain West.

tulsaoilerfan
12/6/2009, 01:59 PM
Count me as a person that absolutely hates the horse collar rule; this isn't touch football and you should be able to tackle the ball carrier by any means possible except by the facemask

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 02:05 PM
Breakaway pads? ;)

Remember the tear away jerseys?

http://mtimages.cstv.com/runandshoot/JeffKinney.jpg

kevpks
12/6/2009, 02:19 PM
There was a second on the clock, but when was the whistle blown? Apparently, it wasn't. Would we get a do over? Would Neb get do over?
Is that even reviewable. I don't know. What I do know is Colt should be able to manage clock, in that scenario, well enough to avoid this scenario.

If it were Nebraska lining up for a game winner I have serious doubts they would have put 1 second back on the clock. Oh well, Bama will take care of business. Then next year it is up to Stoops to catch up to Meyer and Saban and put a second crystal football in the trophy case.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 02:25 PM
If it were Nebraska lining up for a game winner I have serious doubts they would have put 1 second back on the clock.

Good point. SPEK!

I'd like to have seen mack's face with that scenario....lol

No doubt he would have ran that Ref over and had him tazed.

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 02:27 PM
Count me as a person that absolutely hates the horse collar rule; this isn't touch football and you should be able to tackle the ball carrier by any means possible except by the facemask

yup

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 02:28 PM
I miss spearing. :D ;)

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/wpa0958l.jpg

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2009, 02:54 PM
It seems as if a Big XII coach is blowing up on the sideline, you can bank on the identify of the opposing team. :D

Jacie
12/6/2009, 02:58 PM
Good point. SPEK!

I'd like to have seen mack's face with that scenario....lol

We did actually, when the replay booth took another look at a spot following a nebbish fourth down play. Refs on the field placed the ball short of the marker and it was sa*et's ball after the measurement. Before they could get a play off the spot was reviewed, the ball was moved and it was a nebbish first down. Mack looked like he'd just sucked on a sour pickle . . .

rawlingsHOH
12/6/2009, 03:06 PM

I'd hardly call 2 tenths of a second "egregious". I bet on 50 plays that night the clock was further off than that play.

rawlingsHOH
12/6/2009, 03:09 PM
When was the last game UT got screwed by officiating?

I've asked this question to Longhorn fans, and have never gotten an answer. Every other fanbase can cite many instances where it happened to there team.

From 84 OU, to 04 Kansas, and 07 Arkansas St, the list is long and amazing.

OUstud
12/6/2009, 03:12 PM
Despite these supposed "officiating biases" Texas seems to benefit from year in and year out, despite cries of "BCS" and whatever from other coaches regarding losses to Texas, despite all of this...they still only managed 2 Big XII titles this decade. And one of those was gift wrapped by NU in the closing seconds. Yes, the same NU who lost to Iowa State at home. So, Texas, enjoy Pasadena. Enjoy the memories of Fumbles McScramble and his single-digit Wonderlic score taking down USC. Then enjoy leaving at half when Bama is wrecking your ****.

soonersam
12/6/2009, 03:59 PM
I love the passion and anger they showed!!! Remember when our coaches got fired up and intense?? Its been awhile

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2009, 04:12 PM
I like the passion too, but I think Bo gets extremely angry if his toast is burned in the morning too.

Scott D
12/6/2009, 04:39 PM
1) Nebraska got ****ed by the refs who added one second back to the clock so the rich kids could win.
2) Before all that though, Nebraska ****ed itself by making two asinine plays: kicking the ball out of bounds and horse-collaring a player. Without these two ridiculous errors, this whole :01/1 thing never happens.

Nebraska played the **** out of that game, and we did it all on one side of the ball. Unfortunately we made two unacceptable mistakes that tipped the balance. We just didn't have room for those errors.

All that said, **** mother****ing UTerus right in the goatass. I hope Bama hangs half a hundred on them. I didn't think I could hate those ****ing asswipes more. Turns out I can.

look at the bright side, you might get to cheer for Kansas next season ;)

THA RO SOONER
12/6/2009, 05:21 PM
If I rember right wasn't this the same inept crew that caused our first half last week to last like 6 hours? They couldn't make a call on their own if their life depended on it.

Louisiana Husker
12/6/2009, 05:40 PM
I do not blame them.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2...IGRED/712069849

Then Osborne strode back to the field, where Texas was wrapping up its trophy presentation. En route to midfield, Osborne said to a World-Herald reporter: “Where is Dan Beebe?''

Beebe was standing at the 40-yard line talking to Assistant Commissioner Ed Stewart, a former Nebraska All-America linebacker.

As Osborne reached Beebe, the commissioner extended his hand. But Osborne didn't shake it. Osborne pointed at Beebe and said, “Would you go see Bo? Right now?''

For this to happen makes me think that Tom probably agreed with Bo.

:mad: Hook 'em

MamaMia
12/6/2009, 06:56 PM
Roll Tide...Texas is so going down at the hands of our Crimson brethren and then it will be our turn to follow suit next season! :D

soonerboy
12/6/2009, 07:00 PM
obviously there was one second left on the clock i know that, but the rules do say that its not reviewable right? If thats the case nebraska won the game. I guess I just have my crimson colored glasses on and want that game taken from texas...idk

unbiasedtruth
12/6/2009, 07:20 PM
i'll ask this question here.... if they reviewed pony boy's last pass out of bounds to set the game clock to 1 second (when the ball hit the ground), then why weren't the other passes that were thrown away out of bounds by pony boy and Zac Lee earlier in the game reviewed to see when the ball hit the ground and the game clock set to the correct time left???

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2009, 07:26 PM
i'll ask this question here.... if they reviewed pony boy's last pass out of bounds to set the game clock to 1 second (when the ball hit the ground), then why weren't the other passes that were thrown away out of bounds by pony boy and Zac Lee earlier in the game reviewed to see when the ball hit the ground and the game clock set to the correct time left???

because they would still be playing the game even now.

BHud
12/6/2009, 07:27 PM
Fortunately, Oklahoma ALWAYS shows up in the Big 12 Championship, before representing the Big 12 In the MNC. Oh, wait......

DallasSooner87
12/6/2009, 07:36 PM
IMO if the ref had just come out and said, "Put one second on the game clock. There was one second when the pass fell incomplete." Nobody would have a problem with it. However, since it went to the replay booth, illegal according to the rulebook unless an egregious error (like we all haven't read that enough), everyone flips out. It shows the ineptitude of the officials and their lack of control of the game. There are 3 games I can remember this crew from, RRSO, Bedlam, and this game. The common thread is every play seemed to be reviewed. The current college replay rule is hurting the sport, killing momentum of teams, taking whatever credibility the refs had away, and needs to be amended. Was Nebraska screwed over? Probably. Was it the right call in the end? Yes. Do I want/think *exas will have the jesus stomped out of them in Pasadena? Absolutely.

Rant over...for now.

bluedogok
12/6/2009, 10:00 PM
I miss spearing. :D ;)

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/wpa0958l.jpg
Watch the NFL, I saw quite a few of them today. They do it all the time and never get called on it unless there is a QB involved.

royalfan5
12/6/2009, 10:04 PM
If NU kicks it inbounds, and doesn't horsecollar they probably win. I was surprised that Texas even tried to run a play there. It's seems like a Les Milesish thing to do. But that's the way it goes.

soonerhubs
12/6/2009, 10:07 PM
Watch the NFL, I saw quite a few of them today. They do it all the time and never get called on it unless there is a TexasQB involved.

Fixed... Oh wait. You were talking about the NFL, and not the Big 12. Sorry... Carry on...

OUthunder
12/6/2009, 11:38 PM

Yes, yer team got hosed at the end. The clock read zero at end of game just like 99.9% of all college football games played do. The lone exception being that you were playing the game IN Texas on a "neutral" field, just like OU does every year. Neutral my ***... it's played in the state of Texas. If the OU-UT series were played home-in-home, the series wouldn't favor UT as much as it does in the win column.

Best of luck to NU in yer bowl game. Your D played there butts off and yer program looks to be on the right track.

King Barry's Back
12/7/2009, 08:42 AM

Because in the middle of a game, 2 or 3 seconds don't make a difference.

Monster Zero
12/7/2009, 08:47 AM
I like the passion too, but I think Bo gets extremely angry if his toast is burned in the morning too.

^^ This here.

This is what's going to make trouble with his boss for him down the road if he doesn't get it under control. Throwing a cussing fit for the boss' benefit and forcing him to drop what he's doing to tend to you is a really uncool way to respond.

'Specially when the boss is Dr. Tom.

Hot Rod
12/7/2009, 08:56 AM
I understand their frustration but if the roles were reversed, you would've seen Mack going off that night and Sunday night during the bowl selection!

TopDawg
12/7/2009, 01:52 PM
If I were a Nebraska fan, that Omaha World/Herald article would embarrass the hell out of me.

Someone may have already pointed this out...but I'd be more embarrassed about the conference championship asterisk if I were a Texas fan.

In the heat of the moment, I can see why the Pelinis would be upset. They were wrong about it, but I can see why they'd be upset. The Texas people had plenty of time to plan their reaction to last year. And they STILL did it.

jumperstop
12/7/2009, 02:19 PM
Fortunately, Oklahoma ALWAYS shows up in the Big 12 Championship, before representing the Big 12 In the MNC. Oh, wait......

Well not ALWAYS, but 6 out of 7 times of playing well is a much better ratio than 2 out of four times for yall. Oh, wait....**** OFF

mightysooner
12/7/2009, 03:47 PM
Officials made the correct call. Maybe Pelini should bark at his kicker for kicking it out of bounds like a moron instead of deep and giving Texas decent starting field position. Or maybe he should get an offense so he doesn't have to use field goals to win games.

I'm happy for Texas to go to the NT game given their obvious unsuitability. They will get shredded on national TV and that will give us something to laugh at.

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 03:52 PM
Officials made the correct call. Maybe Pelini should bark at his kicker for kicking it out of bounds like a moron instead of deep and giving Texas decent starting field position. Or maybe he should get an offense so he doesn't have to use field goals to win games.

I'm happy for Texas to go to the NT game given their obvious unsuitability. They will get shredded on national TV and that will give us something to laugh at.

nooooo the hell you say. lid says they have had worse tests this season and have passed every one of them.

TexasLidig8r
12/7/2009, 03:53 PM
nooooo the hell you say. lid says they have had worse tests this season and have passed every one of them.

We have passed every test. That is what 13 - 0 teams do.

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 04:00 PM

mmhmmm there are at least 3 games on your schedule that left more questions to be answered...hush now lil lid, your time is coming quickly.

JohnnyMack
12/7/2009, 04:01 PM

You have indeed. Now a real man would admit that Texas's SOS hasn't been all that difficult. And that your running game might doom you in a month. But congrats on making it that far.

Blues1
12/7/2009, 04:02 PM

What Test ~~~~ :)

Maybe OU - ???
Neb -- Yes you Passed - The Dumbest Kicker Test ... ?

TopDawg
12/7/2009, 04:34 PM

There were two parts to that statement.

1) lid says they have had worse tests this season

and

2) have passed every one of them

If 1 isn't true, 2 can't be. If you've had a worse test, I'd like to know who/what it was.

TexasLidig8r
12/7/2009, 05:09 PM
There were two parts to that statement.

1) lid says they have had worse tests this season

and

2) have passed every one of them

If 1 isn't true, 2 can't be. If you've had a worse test, I'd like to know who/what it was.

So Nebraska was the best team we played this year?

If test equates to team, then no.

If test equates to situations, and game planning and narrowness of victory, then, yes, the Bugeater game was absolutely the biggest test.

In any event, all tests were passed. Or.. is there a loss on that schedule somewhere that all of civilized society is missing?

Jello Biafra
12/7/2009, 05:12 PM

If test equates to situations, and game planning and narrowness of victory, then, yes, the Bugeater game was absolutely the biggest test.

In any event, all tests were passed. Or.. is there a loss on that schedule somewhere that all of civilized society is missing?

final exam incoming. im gonna go out on a limb and say you guys will be repeating your senior year.

TopDawg
12/7/2009, 05:49 PM

Lid, pay attention.

Nobody is saying that all tests WEREN'T passed. Just that Alabama is going to be...far and away...the biggest test for Texas this year.

Yes, you passed them all. But due to the lack of strength in the Big XII, the tests you took this year were like high school history tests...and you still barely passed some of them. Now you're moving on to Organic Chemistry. That doesn't mean you won't pass the harder test, but it does raise questions about your ability to do so.

Funny how we're talking about Vince Young helping you all pass your biggest test of the last few decades. Surely there's a better analogy.

JohnnyMack
12/7/2009, 06:00 PM
I'd just like Lid to point out why in 3 games against top 40 defenses Colt hasn't thrown a TD and how it is he thinks things will change vs. yet another highly ranked D. I mean I honestly don't give two ****s who wins the game, I just have reservations about Texas' offensive abilities when by rolling a safety over on top of Shipley you effectively turn them into Baylor.

TexasLidig8r
12/7/2009, 06:03 PM
Lid, pay attention.

Nobody is saying that all tests WEREN'T passed. Just that Alabama is going to be...far and away...the biggest test for Texas this year.

Yes, you passed them all. But due to the lack of strength in the Big XII, the tests you took this year were like high school history tests...and you still barely passed some of them. Now you're moving on to Organic Chemistry. That doesn't mean you won't pass the harder test, but it does raise questions about your ability to do so.

Funny how we're talking about Vince Young helping you all pass your biggest test of the last few decades. Surely there's a better analogy.

Good post. Agreed.

Bama, if it is the Bama who played Florida, will be a huge upgraded challenge.

If it's the Bama who should have lost to Tennessee and who was in a dog fight with Coach Cheesedips Allbarn team, yes, it will still be a challenge.

KantoSooner
12/7/2009, 06:08 PM
I may be one of the few to wish Texas well against Alabama. If they can make the B12 look good, more power to 'em.
I simply don't see that happening because:

Texas run game does not exist. Alabama's is strong.
Texas offensive line is not as strong as 'Bama's. Not as big a gap as the running backs, but still a gap.
Texas passing game is a bit behind Florida's. And how did that work out against 'Bama?
Texas Oline not as strong as Florida's....and Bama stymied even St. Tim. Colt is a better scrambler than Timmah? I don't think so.
Texas D vs. Bama D? sizeable edge to Bama.
You can on and on. UT simply has no facet to their game in which they've shown superiority to Alabama.
On any given day, any team.......yes, it's true, there's a chance. Just not one I'd want to bet my own money on.

TexasLidig8r
12/7/2009, 06:09 PM
I'd just like Lid to point out why in 3 games against top 40 defenses Colt hasn't thrown a TD and how it is he thinks things will change vs. yet another highly ranked D. I mean I honestly don't give two ****s who wins the game, I just have reservations about Texas' offensive abilities when by rolling a safety over on top of Shipley you effectively turn them into Baylor.

I see you quoted from some idoit ESPN typing head.

Apparently, that person forgot about that little touchdown pass that Colt threw to Marquise Goodwin in the Ou game this year.

What Nebbish did was basically play a 4 - 7 defense. They got such pressure with their front 4, that they dropped 7 back in coverage, took away the short, crossing and seam routes and Greg Davis reverted to "early 90s, I'm a Chimp" mode and did not make in game adjustments. No roll outs to get away from the pressure... so screen passes to take advantage of KingKongDammit Suh's relentless pressure... no flooding a zone with 2 to 3 receivers.

Oh make no mistake.. Bama will bring it and we will have our hands full. And if Davis stays in Chimp Mode, we will lose.

JohnnyMack
12/7/2009, 06:20 PM

Apparently, that person forgot about that little touchdown pass that Colt threw to Marquise Goodwin in the Ou game this year.

What Nebbish did was basically play a 4 - 7 defense. They got such pressure with their front 4, that they dropped 7 back in coverage, took away the short, crossing and seam routes and Greg Davis reverted to "early 90s, I'm a Chimp" mode and did not make in game adjustments. No roll outs to get away from the pressure... so screen passes to take advantage of KingKongDammit Suh's relentless pressure... no flooding a zone with 2 to 3 receivers.

Oh make no mistake.. Bama will bring it and we will have our hands full. And if Davis stays in Chimp Mode, we will lose.

Oh. Sorry. You're right. 1 TD. My bad. Your offense didn't really suck after all.

GrapevineSooner
12/7/2009, 06:24 PM
What Nebbish did was basically play a 4 - 7 defense. They got such pressure with their front 4, that they dropped 7 back in coverage, took away the short, crossing and seam routes and Greg Davis reverted to "early 90s, I'm a Chimp" mode and did not make in game adjustments. No roll outs to get away from the pressure...

Except for the end when it almost cost them the game. ;)

TopDawg
12/7/2009, 06:27 PM
I can't really decide if I'm just trying to convince myself or if this is an honest assessment, but I don't see Texas winning this game unless Alabama just hands it to them.

For many of the reasons listed above, I just don't think Texas has the offensive firepower to win it. I think Texas will fall victim to the same things that have plagued OU in the big game lately: a total lack of quality competition to prepare them for the big game. The 2005 Texas team was loaded with great talent, but...let's be real...if it wasn't for Vince Young making plays when everything else failed, Texas loses that game. Now, of course, they HAD Vince Young and that made a huge difference. If we had VY in 2003, 2004 or 2009, we might've won another title. And while Colt has shown that he can make things happen when things break down...I just see him having to do that a little too much. If Colt plays out of his mind on broken plays, Texas has a chance. But I just see Alabama creating too many broken plays for Texas to hang in there. I kinda see it being a game similar to the 2003 Sugar Bowl...when we lost to Saban. It might be a close game, but it'll feel to most people like Alabama dominated while Texas fans might walk away thinking "If we just had connected on one or two more plays we would've won."

JohnnyMack
12/7/2009, 06:32 PM
Shipley has gone side of the milk carton in big games this year. Mostly because teams have learned how to defend him. No one has stepped up to run the ball consistently for Texas (at least against the only two quality defenses they played this year) and Colt McCoy has been a bit gun shy, a touch off from the player he was last year.

Texas went 11 for 38 in 3rd down conversions against OU and Nebbish.
Texas didn't gain 300 yds of offense against either team.
Texas turned the ball over 6 times in those two games.

Now, you can argue that Texas won the games and that's true, but neither OU or Nebraska had offenses worth a **** this year. All I'm saying is that from my point of view, Alabama has a MUCH more competent offense than Texas does. I'd have to say defensively that they're pretty close to equal.

If Texas is going to win this game they'll have to get Williams going on the outside and they'll have to be able to keep drives alive by converting third downs better than they did against the two defenses they faced that were the most similar to Alabama.

VA Sooner
12/7/2009, 06:52 PM

I see Davis and Muschamp going back to the drawing board to make changes for the bowl game. Will need to as Saban does a great job getting ready for big games. Will have about a month for each time to work on new plays, new wrinkles, a few new formations. Definitely going to need them to keep competitive in the title game.

Saban opening the game with his version of the spread offense was good for a laugh. Threw it right back into Meyer's face... and they executed pretty well. Wouldn't be more surprised if Mack pulls out the old wishbone for a play or two.

Going to be a very interesting game.