PDA

View Full Version : ESPN starting to call out Texas

rainiersooner
12/6/2009, 12:03 AM
Chris Fowler and Scott Van Pelt are saying its no slam dunk that Texas is voted #2. Fowler says Texas committed horrible clock management; says they didn't handle the pressure. It will interesting to see how this will play out tomorrow.

Chris Fowler - "Texas's win came down to one yard and one second."

jumperstop
12/6/2009, 12:07 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Give TCU a chance...

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 12:09 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Give anyone else a chance...

fixed.

UteSooner
12/6/2009, 12:10 AM
I don't think the voters are rational enough about the whole thing to have TCU jump Texas. TCU has been more impressive overall and should be ranked 2nd in my opinion.

Okie35
12/6/2009, 12:14 AM
Texas sucks though. Period.

soonerfanatic1
12/6/2009, 12:16 AM
I don't think the voters are rational enough about the whole thing to have TCU jump Texas. TCU has been more impressive overall and should be ranked 2nd in my opinion.

I think TCU Alabama would be a better game

soonermagic14
12/6/2009, 12:17 AM
Chris Fowler - "Texas's win came down to one yard and one second."[/QUOTE]

on that note, give Nebraska a *

n8v_ndn
12/6/2009, 12:19 AM
If that happens, Brown's head will cave in on itself, creating a black hole that engulfs all of Texas and beyond...

Sasakwa
12/6/2009, 12:20 AM
TCU would have a better chance if Cinn had not won. Those 2 will split votes.

Stitch Face
12/6/2009, 12:22 AM
Na Ga Happen

JLEW1818
12/6/2009, 12:33 AM
well just think, if they kick goes 2 feet the other way, he misses it, and TCU goes to the National Title

does that made kick really make Texas the "for sure" best team? If he misses it or Jordan Shipley drops the snap, TCU goes........

tulsaoilerfan
12/6/2009, 01:15 AM
just saw the kick on replay and he barely made it; too bad it didn't curve more to the left

yankee
12/6/2009, 01:17 AM
it would be wonderful to see, but there's no way texas drops...sorry.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 01:22 AM
I probably would be as hard on the whorn if it hadn't been for all of that campaigning they did last year.

My gawd they still are pining over that crap.

Seeing them doosh their way into it this year on a last second play is sickening. If they embarrass the Big XII...they deserve even more fecal matter poured down their throats IMO.

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2009, 02:10 AM
TCU and Cincy shoulda had planes flying circles around jerryworld.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 02:16 AM
TCU and Cincy shoulda had planes flying circles around jerryworld.

Dropping cowpies on the whorn equipment trucks? :D

btk108
12/6/2009, 02:22 AM
I would donate to the cause...plz, plz Texas....don't embarass the Big 12...you don't deserve to be in the Big Dance

SPuL
12/6/2009, 03:08 AM
if they needed a late FG to beat ****ing Nebraska's offense. Just wait till they meet Alabama's defense (which I think is better) and Mark Ingram.

I think Texas getting embarrassed in the championship game would be a lot more enjoyable then them losing the Big 12 title game to Nebraska.

just saying....

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2009, 03:31 AM
True sort of...

At least they MIGHT shut up about how we suck for losing our last few chances.

SPuL
12/6/2009, 03:58 AM
^exactly. Because I know me personally, I've taken a lot of blows from people (especially texas) about how we choke in the big game. So it'd be great to see Texas get completely RUINED.

maybe by a score of 55-19. :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2009, 06:56 AM
That's the score I'd hope for of course, but even better would be for them to take it even further up the pooper than us...maybe true humiliation like 77-0! Then they are not only humiliated, but they'd feel like aggies.

The Maestro
12/6/2009, 08:09 AM
Body of work. Boise has the same record as Texas but has a win over Pac 10 champ, Oregon.

TCU won at Clemson. They beat BYU an Utah.

Then there is Texas. What is their best win? OSU? Nebraska? Nothing really to hang their hat on. Honestly, I think Bama crushes any of these teams and you know the Bama QB being from Texas wants to lay the lumber to the whorns.

Well, we struggled this year, but we've seen Pete Carroll brought to his knees by a Stoops and Tim Tebow bawl like a baby yesterday. We just need Bama to crush the whorns and watch Colt lose his Heisman and title game and we can call it an ok season.

TUSooner
12/6/2009, 08:59 AM
I hope we DID watch Colt lose the Heisman. He played like a crumbly dog turd and basically threw the game away before the replay ref bailed him and Clappy Mack out.
Few things in sports are more disgusting and nauseating than listening to Mack Brown spin and whine and lobby and politick.

It's kinda sad when a season boils down to this: Hoping for OU to win a 2d-class bowl game and hoping almost more for the Big XII's squirrelliest team to get its backside ripped off and roasted by the SEC champ.

Please Nick, don't disappoint. Beat the steaming snot out of +exas.

SoonerBacker
12/6/2009, 09:08 AM
If saxet plays the way they did last night and "Bama plays the way they did yesterday, that 55-19 score might be pretty accurate.
ROLL TIDE, ROLL!!!!!!!!

TXBOOMER
12/6/2009, 09:11 AM
Colt shouldn't even get an invite after that turd he laid on the biggest stage of his career. He will probably win it though because noone else is getting the hype he has been getting from the media. A bunch of the voters have probably already sent their ballots in with him on it. The good thing is Bama will bring just as much heat as Nebbish did. F texass!

SoonerShark
12/6/2009, 09:16 AM
Especially TCU and perhaps Cincinnati are both better than Texas. If Oklahoma's quarterback and superb tight end had been healthy UT would have lost by 20 to Oklahoma in October. Notice that each of UT's conference championship wins have never been in the Kansas City area where it is actually December-like weather and where Oklahoma played for the championship in frigid weather in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2008 against Big XII North teams. Of course, Steers lack certain male appendages. It benefited by a down year in the conference. Overall, college football's teams were just weaker this year. Perhaps it should be like the Oscar's new rule if there are not worthwhile songs then an Oscar for best song just won't be given.

sortiz1965
12/6/2009, 09:44 AM
It is time for someone to legally challenge this BCS system. Right now, TCU would roll Texas...I have no doubt in my mind. It is sickening to see clearly strong teams put together great seasons yet get elbowed out of the picture by teams that are not near as good but just happen to belong to the right conference.

Alabama is the most complete team in the country and they will absolutely dismantle Texas. They looked like a damn pro team out there. It is not going to be pretty at all for Texas. Nick Saban must be laughing his a** off right now at the prospect of having an entire month to prepare for this crappy ut team. Alabama just handed defending champion Florida their collective heads!!

18 yards rushing for the entire game and you tell me Texas is BCS-worthy??? Please!!! If Nebraska had mustered any kind of offense whatsoever, they would have won by 20!!

NOVSooner
12/6/2009, 09:48 AM
well just think, if they kick goes 2 feet the other way, he misses it, and TCU goes to the National Title

does that made kick really make Texas the "for sure" best team? If he misses it or Jordan Shipley drops the snap, TCU goes........

well just think too, if the kicker didn't kick it out of bounds or even if the guy didn't horsecollar tackle, there's no way a field goal would've been an option. all in all on that drive Nebraska basically gave them 35 yards.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 09:51 AM
Out Side the Lines this morning was really fun to watch.

One guy stuck up for Texas but only because they are still undefeated and he's a BCS Homer. Other than that....they all pretty much agree that teh whorns suck and suck bad.

One of them said mack shouldn't have had his hands over his head cheering about the win....he should have had his hands in prayer thanking God for that gimme.

It was fun to watch.

SoonerBacker
12/6/2009, 10:43 AM
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Unless someone hacks into the six BCS computer programs or enough of the 173 combined Harris and coaches' poll voters flip their ballots, Sunday night's BCS selection show will be as exciting as Ken Burns' newest documentary: "Cardboard Boxes -- The Early Years."

Alabama will play Texas for the BCS national championship on Jan. 7 at the Rose Bowl. This we know. We know this because Bama left elephant hoof prints on Florida in Saturday's SEC title game. And later Saturday night, Texas beat, if you can call it that, Nebraska in the Big 12 championship. How, I have no idea.

What we don't know is whether the BCS national championship is the same as a national championship.

Mack Brown and Texas edged Nebraska to claim the Big 12 title.
Alabama and Texas finished the regular season with identical 13-0 records. But so did Boise State. And Cincinnati and TCU each went 12-0.

And let's be honest: Nobody, not even those with burnt orange Bevo tats, can say the Longhorns are better than the WAC champ Broncos, the Big East champ Bearcats or the Mountain West champ Horned Frogs. Not after Texas needed a Thanksgiving Day escape hatch against Texas A&M and not after the Longhorns bumbled around against Nebraska -- The Team That Offense Forgot.

If Hunter Lawrence's 46-yard field goal hadn't ducked inside the left upright as time expired, the Longhorns would've been lower than Bevo doo-doo. But it did. Texas won 13-12, and Longhorns coach Mack Brown declared his team California-bound.

"We're excited about being Big 12 champs, and we will see you in Pasadena," he told the Cowboys Stadium crowd during the postgame trophy presentation.

Brown is probably right. According to Brad Edwards, ESPN's BCS expert, about two-thirds of the voters would have to drop Texas below TCU or Cincinnati on their final ballots. Fat chance.

But just because it won't happen doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. Brown's team scored exactly one touchdown against Nebraska, rushed for a grand total of 18 yards and watched its Heisman Trophy candidate throw three interceptions and its offensive line give up nine sacks. This is the other BCS title game team?

Still, Texas quarterback Colt McCoy did maneuver the Longhorns into field goal distance in the final two minutes, although it helped that they got 55 yards in gift yardage from Nebraska. A kickoff that rolled out of bounds put the ball on the 40-yard line to start the drive. A horse-collar tackle later added another 15-yard penalty. And Lawrence's field goal wouldn't have happened unless officials had correctly put a single second back on the clock after an incomplete pass by McCoy appeared to end the game.

But if you're Cincinnati and TCU, you hope for a Sunday ballot miracle. You hope enough voters think that a 13-12 Texas win over a Nebraska team ranked 92nd in total offense isn't BCS-worthy. You hope enough voters think that the Dec. 6 versions of the Bearcats and Horned Frogs are better than the Dec. 5 version of the Longhorns.

"I don't think there could be a better matchup than Texas and Alabama," Brown said.

There could if you're Cincy coach Brian Kelly or TCU coach Gary Patterson.

Bama or Florida was going to Pasadena no matter what. But a Texas loss would have created a BCS tsunami. That's why Kelly, in the aftermath of his Bearcats' 45-44 last-minute win over Pittsburgh Saturday afternoon, openly rooted for the red and white.

"Go, Nebraska!" Kelly said to ESPN's Holly Rowe. "Go, Cornhuskers!"

If I saw Kelly cheerlead for the Huskers on the hotel room flat-screen, so did the Longhorns, who were staying in the same Dallas-Fort Worth Airport hotel. They knew Nebraska was the last and only hope for either Cincinnati or TCU to squirm its way into the No. 2 spot of the final BCS standings.

Maybe it was a coincidence (doubtful), but the mammoth Cowboys Stadium big screen quit showing the Bama-Florida game shortly before the Longhorns took the field for warm-ups. Somebody (Brown?) didn't want the Longhorns sneaking peeks at their potential Citi BCS National Championship Game opponent.

Didn't matter. Texas still played tighter than a face-lift. It needed a muscle relaxer just to make it to the locker room for halftime.

Of course, Nebraska's defense had a lot to do with that. Huskers defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh (4½ sacks, 12 total tackles) spent so much time in Texas' backfield that he established in-state residency. The Longhorns' offensive line was hoping he'd declare for the NFL draft -- before the start of the third quarter.

Nebraska can play D, but it'd have trouble scoring a touchdown in its own spring game. The Cornhuskers, facing an accomplished Texas defense, finished with five first downs, 39 passing yards and 106 total yards.

Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly might need another hug after the final BCS standings are released.

So the Crimson Tide and Longhorns will play for the crystal trophy. Cincy will play for Kelly, who says he'd "entertain" a discussion with Notre Dame officials about its job opening. TCU will play to show everyone it should have been the Texas team selected for Pasadena. And Boise State will play for the same number of total victories as the winner of the BCS championship.

If nothing else, the BCS and its propaganda machine lucked out and don't have to explain why Boise State got screwed out of a BCS bowl. Instead, the Broncos, fresh from euthanizing New Mexico State 42-7 on Saturday, might end up in a Tostitos Fiesta Bowl against TCU. Iowa is also in the Fiesta equation.

For what it's worth, Fiesta president John Junker was here in all his yellow-jacketed splendor just in case Nebraska beat Texas. It didn't, but guess what -- TCU is just down the road in Fort Worth. Think Junker made the short drive?

Cincinnati is expected to play Florida in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. Oregon will administer the now-annual Rose Bowl beatdown to the Big Ten, this time to Ohio State. And, oh, the FedEx Orange Bowl will have a game, too -- not that anybody outside the campuses of Georgia Tech and either Iowa or Boise State will care.

Saturday was supposed to be a day that would clarify and simplify a postseason. To some extent it did.

It started with Cincinnati overcoming a 21-point, first-half Pitt lead in a game that ended with Bearcats star wide receiver Mardy Gilyard bawling like a newborn on the UC sideline. Tears of joy.

It continued with Bama ending the Gators' hopes of a BCS championship repeat -- and with Florida quarterback Tim Tebow crying on the sideline. Tebow's eye-black strips read John 16:33. But the Georgia Dome scoreboard read Tide 32-13.

Meanwhile, Boise beat New Mexico State, Arizona beat USC and Georgia Tech beat Clemson in the ACC championship game.

But Saturday also threw the Heisman race into chaos. McCoy entered the day as the favorite, but that was before he completed 20 of 36 passes for 184 yards and threw no touchdowns and three interceptions. (He ran 2 yards for a second-quarter touchdown.)

"I think Colt played great," Brown said. "We didn't help him at times."

No, Suh played great; McCoy didn't. Now Heisman voters have until 5 p.m. Eastern on Monday to decide between McCoy, Suh, Stanford's Toby Gerhart, Florida's Tebow, Bama's Mark Ingram and others.

In the end, Saturday night in Arlington almost turned Sunday night into BCS bedlam. Lucky for Texas, almost doesn't count.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 10:49 AM
Heh. They turned the Bama / Tearbow game off at jerry world....

badger
12/6/2009, 11:04 AM
if they needed a late FG to beat ****ing Nebraska's offense.

So did we :(

..well, we needed several. :(:(

SoonerBacker
12/6/2009, 11:08 AM

But we aren't claiming that we deserve to be in the NCG. The Whorns are. It seems to me that there are several other undefeated teams that have a greater claim to it than the Whorns. Oklahoma isn't one of them.....this year.

Jacie
12/6/2009, 11:15 AM
The team that uses the * as an alias can add another.

Both of Mack's Big XII championships occurred in Oklahoma "down" years.

The whorns have beaten better OU squads than the 05 and 09 versions, but isn't it strange that they managed to win out only when the Sooners were not a championship calibre team?

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2009, 11:49 AM
I am absolutely on board with changing it from "National Championship" to "BCS Championship".

I was thinking the same thing yesterday before the above article came out.

While the term is not perfect, it is more accurate.

SPuL
12/6/2009, 12:46 PM

true but...

But we aren't claiming that we deserve to be in the NCG. The Whorns are. It seems to me that there are several other undefeated teams that have a greater claim to it than the Whorns. Oklahoma isn't one of them.....this year.

^this. :(

But now I hope some people can lay off Landry for his performance against Nebraska. Sure he had a bad performance, but look what some guy who was supposed to be a Heisman candidate did. Nebraska can play some D.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 12:53 PM
Nebraska had a great Defense. Their fans should be proud of that performance last night.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/6/2009, 12:54 PM
I've been saying for the past month that TCU is better than texass and has a better resume but that falls deaf on the folks that run the system.

texass will get it's pity entry into to title game and I'm sure Colt will look just as spooked when those Bama d-linemen are bearing down on him play after play as he did against Neb.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 12:55 PM
The whorns couldn't beat Boise St. right now.

Blues1
12/6/2009, 12:56 PM
Nebraska Showed Bama everything they need to know.... :)

cvsooner
12/6/2009, 01:02 PM
If Pelini can find something that can remotely resemble an offense, the Huskers will be stout in the next few years. Man.

SPuL
12/6/2009, 07:01 PM
^let's hope not though. :D

soonerboy
12/6/2009, 07:07 PM
Ya what the country doesn't realize is that Texas folds up into the fetal position when they play any kind of defense, Now that they're coming up against a solid D and a pretty good offense with arguably the best running back tandem in the country...they're toast IMO

OK2LA
12/6/2009, 07:37 PM
if they needed a late FG to beat ****ing Nebraska's offense. Just wait till they meet Alabama's defense (which I think is better) and Mark Ingram.

I think Texas getting embarrassed in the championship game would be a lot more enjoyable then them losing the Big 12 title game to Nebraska.

just saying....

I remember a few years ago thinking that a Texas team didn't have a chance against the greatest team in college football history.

1 game - 1 chance - anything can happen.

I hope their fairytale ending doesn't come true - we'll never hear the end of it.

On the other side of it - we get to hear about Alabama winning is 22nd National Title solidifying them as the greatest football powerhouse of all time. Either way it will taste bad going down.

SPuL
12/6/2009, 09:35 PM
^yeah, but if I recall correctly that Texas team looked pretty nasty in the games leading up to it. Didn't they win the Big 12 title game by like 40-50 points? Might be mistaken. But they were pretty dominant that game from what I remember.

Where as this Texas team, I really haven't seen that against an above average team. Just my $.02

bluedogok
12/6/2009, 09:59 PM
It was 67 points...and we all know how Mack doesn't "run the score up" on anyone :rolleyes:

2005 - Reliant Stadium: NR Colorado-3 #2 Texas-70