PDA

View Full Version : Pac 10 "Championship Weekend" Schedule

OK2LA
12/5/2009, 06:15 PM
Anyone notice how the Pac-10 began pushing out their "Regular Season" schedule so that it would end on the same weekend as all of the other Conference Championships (ACC, BIG XII, SEC, BIG EAST, etc)?

USC played UCLA on Nov. 30th
OU played Colorado on Dec. 7th

USC played Oregon State on Dec. 6th
OU played K State on Dec. 6th

I think that this was done to try to stay fresh in the voters minds in the polls and for that matter to a lesser degree with the Heisman voters. (Toby Gerhart will likely miss out on votes vs performances of Tebow and McCoy)

Very smart in my opinion. The Big Ten needs to take a lesson from them.

Either that, or play a conference championship game.
:pop:

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2009, 06:18 PM
I say they ALL need a CCG or they remain pansies.

royalfan5
12/5/2009, 06:21 PM
I say they ALL need a CCG or they remain pansies.

If you play a full round robin like the Pac-10 does isn't a CCG redundant?

OK2LA
12/5/2009, 06:31 PM

This is true. I'm just surprised that the Pac 10 hasn't done something similar because of the $$$ factor. They are missing out BIG TIME. The Big 10/11 needs another team, or has to figure something out soon.

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2009, 06:38 PM

Yes and no. A CCG offers a bigger stage and a higher level of interest, as well as the "big game" coming last. They need to add a team and join the modern era already.

Scott D
12/5/2009, 06:46 PM
This is true. I'm just surprised that the Pac 10 hasn't done something similar because of the $$$ factor. They are missing out BIG TIME. The Big 10/11 needs another team, or has to figure something out soon.

As was pointed out, the Pac-10 is a conference that every team plays each other, so they made a good use of that extra game. The Big 10's most major problem, the one that gets them in the most trouble at bowl time. The problem that they refuse to alter is that they insist upon wrapping up their regular conference season prior to Thanksgiving. Saving a non conference game for after the conference play is a decent move..provided you can win it Illinois.