PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones - He gets no respect!

the_sooners_abide
12/5/2009, 04:05 PM
Okay, I'll be the first to admit it, sometimes Landry's inconsistency, innaccuracy, and bad play on the road have led me to scream at the TV until I'm hoarse. However, he is just a FR and we can't expect every FR to be the next Bradford. My question is: why no national love for Landry like Luck or Barkley? Here are some notable FR QB stats along with Colt's and Tebow's. I think you'll find that Landry compares favorably to all and even exceeds them in some areas.

Landry - 129.3 Rating, 58% PCT, 2780 YDS, 23 TD, 13 INT
Luck - 145.3, 56.2%, 2575 YDS, 13 TD, 4 INT
Barkley - 133.0, 59%, 2241 YDS, 12 TD, 11 INT
Collaros (Cincy) - 195.5, 75%, 1434 YDS, 10 TD, 2 INT, 344 RUSH YDS, 4 TD
Colt - 152.9, 71.8%, 3328 YDS, 27 TD, 9 INT
Tebow - 160.7, 66.4%, 2166 YDS, 17 TD, 4 INT, 796 RUSH YDS, 13 TD

JLEW1818
12/5/2009, 04:07 PM
i guess b/c we have 5 losses and are not a ranked team...

Landry has had some good moments this year, but the kid is not a Star at qb yet. He has horrible footwork in my opinion.. and not very good on the run...

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 04:08 PM
13 INTs really stand right out.

Hopefully he'll really work on his game between now and the Bowl Game. Also...I like him. He was really put to the test this Season and I'm betting Stoops made those comments about the QB position up for grabs next Season to not only push Landry...but to also let recruits know...if you think you can do better....we're open for business.

BASSooner
12/5/2009, 04:11 PM
i guess b/c we have 5 losses and are not a ranked team...

Landry has had some good moments this year, but the kid is not a Star at qb yet. He has horrible footwork in my opinion.. and not very good on the run...

TERRIBLE at this area, he needs to work on that to guarantee some execution on crucial plays.

Everything else though, he'll be fine. He's still learning and he'll only get better in areas that he isn't, decision-making and footwork. Off-season and summer workouts (HOPEFULLY) will shape him

delhalew
12/5/2009, 04:11 PM
Imagine what he could do if his receivers would catch a ball.

the_sooners_abide
12/5/2009, 04:12 PM
Not very good at throwing the ball out of bounds before taking a 15-yd loss on a sack either

JLEW1818
12/5/2009, 04:12 PM
yup, Sam made a huge adjustment between his 2 years.. last year he looked so damn smooth when he would run the play action

I hope Jones can adjust too

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 04:15 PM
Was watching the 2007 RRSO when Sam led us to a 28-21 win. There is a play where the +exas nose guard goes untouched past the center and hits Sam. Of course Sam hit Manny with a 20 yard completion on it. I was thinking that nobody was screaming the O-Line Sucks then.

TXBOOMER
12/5/2009, 04:20 PM
The ball is in LJ's court. If he works hard, the WR's work hard and OL work hard they should be much improved next season. He has a long way to go but with hard work and dedication he may do it. I'm hopeful Blake Bell is big time athletic and can run the zone read and get some playing time also.

the_sooners_abide
12/5/2009, 04:22 PM
He needs to get his 'Stache Swagger back...

TXBOOMER
12/5/2009, 04:25 PM
Was watching the 2007 RRSO when Sam led us to a 28-21 win. There is a play where the +exas nose guard goes untouched past the center and hits Sam. Of course Sam hit Manny with a 20 yard completion on it. I was thinking that nobody was screaming the O-Line Sucks then.

The O line was good and the WR's were good. Sam made them better just as they made him better. A lot of fans don't realize how great Bradford was. His accuracy was amazing. We will be lucky to get a QB as good as he was in the future.

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 04:28 PM
The O line was good and the WR's were good. Sam made them better just as they made him better. A lot of fans don't realize how great Bradford was. His accuracy was amazing. We will be lucky to get a QB as good as he was in the future.

You could be right. What I was getting at was that the O-line didn't stop him from making a throw for 20 yards. That year Sam had really good receivers. Watching today...I was reminded of Joe Jon Finley and how nice it was to have him when Gresh was covered. Broyles is as good as Manny was IMO....but our receivers really need to pick it up. Caleb especially.

Widescreen
12/5/2009, 04:29 PM
Landry would've had much better #'s this year if he would learn to lead the receiver. Just about every downfield throw he made, he threw it right at the receiver forcing the receiver to wait, do a 180 to catch it, and then do another 180 to try to head upfield. Unfortunately, the 2nd 180 didn't usually work out well because the defender was there. He did this over and over again.

JLEW1818
12/5/2009, 04:29 PM
yup, Caleb for sure

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 04:30 PM
Who was the lineman that we could make eligible that one year? We really had folks guessing with all of those weapons.

rawlingsHOH
12/5/2009, 04:44 PM
13 INTs really stand right out.

Take away one terrible game and he had an outstanding season. Even with the bad game he had a very good year. Considering the surrounding factors, amazing.

TXBOOMER
12/5/2009, 04:51 PM
Take away one terrible game and he had an outstanding season. Even with the bad game he had a very good year. Considering the surrounding factors, amazing.

Nebraska or Tech?

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 04:55 PM

Sugar coat it all you want...

Thing is ...lots of those weren't his fault. I'm not even saying he had a bad year. This was about why he wasn't getting any National Love. 13 INTs might not worry you...but Landry isn't going to get National Love with 5 losses and 13 INTs.

Again...the receivers were to blame for some of those INTs. I get sick to my stomach when I think of all the catch-able balls they dropped this year. Landry will be the starter next year is my guess.

yankee
12/5/2009, 05:51 PM
another year with the coaches, and working with his o-line and receivers are going to do wonders for landry. if you look at his high school throwing motion, compared to what it is today, it's incredible. totally different looking QB. once he gets his footwork down along with a couple of other things, i think we'll see a nice improvement.

soonerguild
12/5/2009, 06:13 PM
The thing that I feel most people forget is the offseason landry had, or didn't have. When Sam won the job as RF he was battling with nicol and got 50% of the snaps in the spring, summer, and fall leading up to that season. Landry was the backup to the returning heisman winner, I don't know for sure but I bet he got maybe 10% of the snaps in that time period at most. Thats 1/5 of the snaps over about an 8 month period.

I think everyone is gonna be shocked how much better he will be when he gets a full offseason. Hell be fine.

OUmillenium
12/5/2009, 06:23 PM
You would think if the above posts are true and with Heupel's work, Landry would show marked improvement next year.

soonerguild
12/5/2009, 06:27 PM
You would think if the above posts are true and with Heupel's work, Landry would show marked improvement next year.

Not saying I expect the same, but Sam made a HUGE improvement between year 1 and 2. I expect a big improvement, maybe not as big as Sam, but big none the less.

I'll tell you this, I know everyone thinks that Blake Bell is the savior, and I do believe he is super talented, but be realistic. It will be Landry's third year in the program and Blake's first. Landry will start and be one of the top 10 qb's in the country. Mark it down.

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 06:30 PM
If we get him some guys with velcro hands and massive speed....he'll do great IMO.

rawlingsHOH
12/5/2009, 06:41 PM
Nebraska or Tech?

The Tech loss was hardly on Jones.

rawlingsHOH
12/5/2009, 06:43 PM
Sugar coat it all you want...

Thing is ...lots of those weren't his fault. I'm not even saying he had a bad year. This was about why he wasn't getting any National Love. 13 INTs might not worry you...but Landry isn't going to get National Love with 5 losses and 13 INTs.

Again...the receivers were to blame for some of those INTs. I get sick to my stomach when I think of all the catch-able balls they dropped this year. Landry will be the starter next year is my guess.

2009, Landry Jones, 23 TDs, 13 INTs
2000, Josh Heupel, 20 TDs, 15 INTs

mightysooner
12/5/2009, 07:10 PM
I respect Landry. Seems like a good kid. What concerns me is he didn't show any improvement and he does things repeatedly that have me questioning his head for the game or if he has "it". At this point I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he's got potential to be a star QB of the future. He's terribly inaccurate, poor in pocket awareness, and has a terrible problem with bird dogging. He didn't show any improvement in those categories that I saw freshmen or not.

illinisooner
12/5/2009, 07:59 PM

Take away every road game and he had a very good year. Unfortunately, road games are a part of every season. We're not OSU here folks. Not sure how Bob can address this in the off season, but a greater emphasis needs to be placed on performance in road games. This goes for everyone. Captain Obvious, signing off.

TXBOOMER
12/5/2009, 09:23 PM
The Tech loss was hardly on Jones.

You said he had one bad game. He played terrible against Tech along with the rest of the team. How would you grade his performance against Okie State?

adoniijahsooner
12/5/2009, 10:01 PM
Many on this board are always saying that the coaches know better than the fans. Well, Stoops is recruiting a Jr. College QB, Stoops said it would be open competition, and Stoops said that Landry could have handled some things better than he did. So the question is whether Stoops gives Landry the respect he deserves?

rawlingsHOH
12/5/2009, 10:16 PM
You said he had one bad game. He played terrible against Tech along with the rest of the team. How would you grade his performance against Okie State?

I did?

LOL!

Actually, what I said was... "Take away one terrible game and he had an outstanding season."

As in... take away the Nebraska game, and he finishes the year with 23 TDs and only 8 INTs. And everyone is agreeing those are outstanding numbers for a frosh.