PDA

View Full Version : When do we compete for a National Championship again?

the_sooners_abide
12/5/2009, 02:56 PM
Realistically, we'll probably struggle on offense again in 2010. We also play the opposite of Texas' OOC schedule. FSU and Cincy should be tough. Hopefully, McCoy, Beal, and Lewis stay and our D dominates again but if not, the D should still be pretty good. OU, ut, and osu will be rebuilding next year so I figure we'll compete for yet another B12 championship, but when do you think we'll be a legitimate national championship contender again? My guess is 2011.

IronHorseSooner
12/5/2009, 03:02 PM
There might not be an "it" team next year. The closest might be 'Bama, but almost everybody is in rebuild mode. Beat Cincy and *, and we should be in the mix.

delhalew
12/5/2009, 03:05 PM
We are lucky in that, any year could be THE year.

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 03:19 PM
We didn't struggle much when Sam was a Freshman. I'm hoping the guys that are coming back really work on their game between now and the next season. I think they all got to see how the Fans never gave up on them at Home this year. All they need to do is turn those road scenarios around win the South, the B12CG and they are on their way again.

It could be a rebuilding Season sure....but at Oklahoma...you never know.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2009, 03:24 PM
USC, Miami, Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon

They will all be much better next year. These are some of the programs transitioning from "rebuilding" to "growing" to "good".

Hard to see an "elite" team again for the second year in a row.

JLEW1818
12/5/2009, 03:27 PM
USC loses a bunch of O-line.. i think? Barkley will only get better

Miami.. i still don't trust their coach.......

Bama should be better on offense.. they will need it b/c the D will lose a couple key players, but still be good.

Ohio State.. seems like they are always in it... but i think next year has Iowa written all over it..

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 03:33 PM
Stay Undefeated...Win the Big XII CG.

Stoops will have done all he can to get another shot with that scenario. It's his way. He's proven it works...it doesn't matter if the others we don't play are good unless they all go undefeated. Then it's a mess like it is this year. We might have been done a favor in this climate.

Flagstaffsooner
12/5/2009, 03:51 PM
USC loses a bunch of O-line.. i think? Barkley will only get better

He cant get any worse.:P

BrockLanders
12/5/2009, 03:55 PM
Next year.

TXBOOMER
12/5/2009, 05:13 PM
Within 4 or 5 years.

soonerguild
12/5/2009, 06:18 PM
Next year is a huge year as far as competing for a NC is concearned. Not saying we are going to next year, not saying we won't, but we need to have a 10 win season to keep recruiting they way we have been. I do agree with the above, with the whorns losing some talent, we have as good a chance as anyone next year to win the big12, and that means we have a chance to play for the ship.

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2009, 06:24 PM
Next year. And the one after that and the one after that...

rawlingsHOH
12/5/2009, 06:39 PM
Realistically, we'll probably struggle on offense again in 2010. We also play the opposite of Texas' OOC schedule. FSU and Cincy should be tough. Hopefully, McCoy, Beal, and Lewis stay and our D dominates again but if not, the D should still be pretty good. OU, ut, and osu will be rebuilding next year so I figure we'll compete for yet another B12 championship, but when do you think we'll be a legitimate national championship contender again? My guess is 2011.

Realistically, I bet our offense is very good next year.

I look forwarding to seeing who steps up on the defensive line next year.

Collier11
12/5/2009, 06:56 PM
Our Off should be very good next yr as long as Broyles doesnt leave, our D should be very good as long as Lewis and Franks dont leave, we will be a Top 10 team nexy yr with a shot, we are OU, we will have a shot every yr that something strange doesnt happen like this yr

MichiganSooner
12/5/2009, 07:33 PM
At Oklahoma, we compete for national championships every year.

Next question.

soonervegas
12/5/2009, 07:49 PM
Within 4 or 5 years.

That would be my answer as well....and that is potentially being conservative. Stoops track record averages about 1 every 2.75 years.

Collier11
12/5/2009, 07:53 PM
The questions when will we compete for one, not necessarily play for one...out of 11 years we have competed into November 8 times for the natl title

soonervegas
12/5/2009, 07:57 PM
With Colliers clarification I will say next year.....

PLaw
12/5/2009, 08:44 PM
There might not be an "it" team next year. The closest might be 'Bama, but almost everybody is in rebuild mode. Beat Cincy and *, and we should be in the mix.

ohh, I think SUC will be very, very good next year. This was their reloading and they looked like it. But next year, Petey thinks he has a team that will be locked and loaded for a MNC run.

BOOMER

WA. Sooner
12/5/2009, 09:13 PM
2011 title game win

bluesmagoo
12/5/2009, 11:44 PM
ohh, I think SUC will be very, very good next year. This was their reloading and they looked like it. But next year, Petey thinks he has a team that will be locked and loaded for a MNC run.

BOOMER

With the OC that we have, I doubt OU will be worth much offensively.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2009, 12:05 AM
With the OC that we have, I doubt OU will be worth much offensively.

I agree, but maybe we can get the guy we had in '07 & '08 back. :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
12/6/2009, 12:13 AM
At Oklahoma, we compete for national championships every year.

Next question.

Well there you go. We were just kidding this year.

gaylordfan1
12/6/2009, 12:36 AM
I think the 2010 team/season will surprise everyone...... in a good way.

murray1430
12/6/2009, 01:03 AM
I give it two years and OU should be there. I think Broyles leaves. I like the kid as far as making plays but he seems to enjoy the spotlight so I think he leaves early. OU will have other playmakers that will step up. IMO of course

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 01:27 AM
Maybe, the year after next.

Next year there's just no way.

Collier11
12/6/2009, 01:34 AM
Maybe, the year after next.

Next year there's just no way.

How do you figure? All the young guys who got PT this year will only help, we return a bunch on both sides of the ball and have a top 5 class coming in

Curly Bill
12/6/2009, 01:37 AM
How do you figure? All the young guys who got PT this year will only help, we return a bunch on both sides of the ball and have a top 5 class coming in

I just don't think there's any chance the team is gonna be good enough next year. I think we'll be better mind you, but not by enough we'll be in the mix for the NC.

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 08:09 AM

I think the offense will be a problem again next year. As bad as our defense played in 2008, at least we saw marked improvement that made everyone think it may be one of Stoops best in 2009.

sooneron
12/6/2009, 08:42 AM
2010, we'll be close with our sched setting up the way it is right now, but I'm thinking 11 or 12 for a legit shot.

IronHorseSooner
12/6/2009, 09:06 AM
2010, we'll be close with our sched setting up the way it is right now, but I'm thinking 11 or 12 for a legit shot.

To me, it comes down to @ Cincy and the RRR. UTerus will be in rebuild mode next year. They won't have Pony Boy, Donuts, or Lawrence to save their @$$ next year.

TUSooner
12/6/2009, 09:27 AM
We'd better start competing for it from Day 1 of spring drills in 2010.
I think that's probably Bob's plan.

adoniijahsooner
12/6/2009, 09:47 AM
To me, it comes down to @ Cincy and the RRR. UTerus will be in rebuild mode next year. They won't have Pony Boy, Donuts, or Lawrence to save their @$$ next year.

But they will always have the refs to pull out a win in a tight situation.

stoopified
12/6/2009, 09:58 AM
Stay healthy and let Bob do his job.See 2008.

GreenSooner
12/6/2009, 10:21 AM
We have the opportunity to compete for a national championship every year. We're OU.

Now some years we're predicted to be in the mix at the start of the season; other years we're not. Our last MNC happened in the latter sort of season.

I don't think we'll be one of the teams everyone is talking about next August. But if as much falls right for us next year as fell wrong for us this year, we have as good a shot as anyone to be playing a year from January.

EstablishedSooner1967
12/6/2009, 11:17 AM
When OU can find a more than qualified QB and OL

boomerborn79
12/6/2009, 11:34 AM
Our schedule is in our favor. The big twelve will be down. I think Landry is a good qb and if the line get's better were right back in the hunt. 2010 # 8

boomerborn79
12/6/2009, 11:38 AM
When OU can find a more than qualified QB and OL

4 losses by a total of 12 points, all on the road. We are not that far off. They just need to gel. Bradford started out with a great line and a great wide reciever, and we still sucked away from home that year. We were a few points away from being a top ten team. Bad luck = bad year

Blues1
12/6/2009, 11:40 AM
We START Today ~~~And by winning Whatever Bowl we Get ---- :)

illinisooner
12/6/2009, 01:03 PM
4 losses by a total of 12 points, all on the road. We are not that far off. They just need to gel. Bradford started out with a great line and a great wide reciever, and we still sucked away from home that year. We were a few points away from being a top ten team. Bad luck = bad year

You are forgetting the loss at Lubbock, mate. But I see your point.

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 01:05 PM
When OU can find or develop an improved QB and OL

fixed.

boomerborn79
12/6/2009, 01:29 PM
You are forgetting the loss at Lubbock, mate. But I see your point.

I didn't count that one. TOO many points:mad: