PDA

View Full Version : Why Won't the "Stoops to Notre Dame" Rumors Die?

Sabanball
12/4/2009, 10:35 PM
I ask that because we all know he's not going anywhere--the phone call has been made and his answer was no. Bob does not have another 'move' in him and we all know it.

Petro-Sooner
12/4/2009, 10:38 PM
Good grief people not another thread on this crap.

STOP!!!!

jbstrick
12/4/2009, 11:06 PM
This is why the rumors wont die. Its an amazing testimonial of rumormongering. Everyone here should read it. I may start a thread on it...

http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2009_12_01_archive.html#7014119063071457519

PDXsooner
12/4/2009, 11:24 PM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/926123.html

Notre Dame Coaching Options

Is Stoops still in play?

Pete Fiutak

When it comes to the insanity of the coaching carousel, never believe the hype, the rumors, the posturing, or the non-denial denials. But sometimes, stories and insider chatter simply won't die.

Speculation continues to be that Notre Dame's coaching search doesn't revolve around Urban Meyer, or even Brian Kelly. The focus might still be on Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops, who has vehemently denied various reports, including one from ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter, that said it was a done deal and was all down to the contract details. Schefter tweeted that his report turned out to be wrong, but that hasn't stopped the fast and furious rumors from swirling that Stoops and Notre Dame are gabbing ... no matter what Stoops is saying.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick had said in the press conference announcing the firing of Charlie Weis that he wanted to 1) hire a coach with proven college experience, which all but eliminated any talk about Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, or any of the other pro possibilities, and 2) he wanted a coach who emphasized defense. Stoops more than fits both of those requirements.

It was assumed the Cincinnati head man Brian Kelly was a front-runner, if not the main man for the job, but there might be a problem. Remember, there were major debates and several issues from pro-life protestors when Barack Obama, you know, the President of the United States, gave a Commencement address in May. Kelly, who famously worked on Gary Hart's 1984 presidential campaign, is allegedly pro-choice, and while this shouldn't matter when it comes to coaching a football team, and legally, Notre Dame can't exclude him from the job because of his views on the subject, it's enough of an item to at least be out there. And now, whether this is a real problem or not, enough of the Irish fan base has been talking about it to make it part of the equation. Besides, if Notre Dame can get Stoops, Kelly isn't in the picture.

Stoops is extremely well paid by the University of Oklahoma, and if he ends up staying through the life of his current contract extension, which goes through 2015, he'll end up making roughly $30 million, minimum. But money isn't an object for Notre Dame, who can afford any buyout and can afford any coaching contract. For his part, Stoops is saying and doing what he has to, and he can't be any more emphatic about saying he plans on staying put. He has said as sternly as he could that all the information out there is wrong, and he continues to deny that he has even talked to Notre Dame while stating that he "fully intend(s)" to be at Oklahoma next year. However, the inside rumors are still roaring, and no, this really might not be a dead issue. At the very least, the talk is still hot enough to keep Stoops on the radar.

What appears to be waning is any discussion of Urban Meyer. Originally, the plan appeared to be for Notre Dame to wait until the bowls were over to make a serious run at Meyer, if only to appease the fan base. Swarbrick had to at least make the attempt to woo the top head coach in college football, whose own mother had once predicted would end up being the Irish head coach, but it appears that the job search has gone full steam ahead and Meyer isn't necessarily part of it. And if he is, it has been kept on lockdown hush-hush. Meyer was able to figure out the move from Utah to Florida in the midst of a BCS run without a problem, but if he's in the mix for the Notre Dame job then no one is talking. No one.

At this point, the No. 1 option really might be Stoops, denials and all, and without a top bowl game to go to this year, Stoops-to-South Bend would be the type of deal that could be done in a day. Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz's name has been thrown around, but that's pure speculation. The Jim Harbaugh talk died before it could even begin; there's even a rumor floating around that Kansas might be interested in him (KU could almost quadruple his salary and his wife's family is from the area). Kelly appears to be the second option on the radar, and after that, start throwing darts and taking guesses. That's what everyone is doing with this biggest of the big coaching searches, and eventually, someone will have it right ... we think we're getting close.

TMcGee86
12/4/2009, 11:28 PM
legally, Notre Dame can't exclude him from the job because of his views on the subject

Says who? I was under the impression that Notre Dame was a private institution. Am I missing something here?

bluesmagoo
12/4/2009, 11:56 PM
Notre Dame needs to be carpet-bombed for a month, then no more rumors.

John Kochtoston
12/5/2009, 12:01 AM
But money isn't an object for Notre Dame, who can afford any buyout and can afford any coaching contract.

This is ridiculous. Notre Dame has plenty of money and will surely spend some on their new coach. But this idea Notre Dame can outbid anyone and is a bottomless pit of money is absurd, especially considering their TV contract is CTD.

OKLA21FAN
12/5/2009, 12:01 AM
I ask that because we all know he's not going anywhere--the phone call has been made and his answer was no. Bob does not have another 'move' in him and we all know it.

ummmmmmm, because you won't let it die? and listen? :gary:

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2009, 12:04 AM
It won't die because the domer fanbase and the media are too stupid to know what "NO" means.

soonerborn30
12/5/2009, 12:29 AM
Says who? I was under the impression that Notre Dame was a private institution. Am I missing something here?

Discrimination is discrimination, regardless of private university status.

King Barry's Back
12/5/2009, 12:54 AM

There are federal laws (and state and local as well) that you can not exclude people from being hired for certain reasons. I'm certainly not an expert, but race is a federally protected category. Things like "sexual orientation" have been included in local laws.

I have no idea what might be the case for Indiana and South Bend law, but I have never heard of any rules that would say that, in hiring a highly visible staff member, you had to exclude their political views. For example, NOBODY that is a supporter of Naziism is going to be hired as ND's coach. Likewise, nobody that supports Michael Vick style dog-fighting is going to be ND's coach, either.

So I think this reporter is blowing smoke. In fact, I remember a few years ago a guy I think from Nebraska was being considered for head coach at Cal, but he was on the record opposing gay marriage or some such and the speculation was that he was deep-sixed for being too conservative for Berkeley. FWIW.

King Barry's Back
12/5/2009, 12:58 AM
It won't die because the domer fanbase and the media are too stupid to know what "NO" means.

I'm mostly with you, Crucifax, but too many times I've seen coaches deny, deny, deny; and then suddenly they hold a press conference at a new university.

Case in point: When Mike Leach left Oklahoma. At one point, he was one of three finalists for the job in Lubbock, he'd been out to interview, speculation swirled for a few days -- then Leach held a "presser" to announce that he had removed his name from consideration by Tech and that he would stay at Oklahoma.

Two days later he was in Lubbock.

I don't believe the ND rumors, but coaches have created this mess by their own behavior.

rainiersooner
12/5/2009, 02:18 AM
Yeah, it's funny though because all I keep hearing is reasons why Notre Dame might continue to be interested in Bob Stoops. At the same time, I continue to be interested in Giselle Bundchen, Scarlett Johansen, not to mention Eva Longoria. But, none of them have returned my calls! Weird!

Stoops is not a candidate because I actually believe he enjoys his job at OU for a variety of reasons.

Texas_Longhorn
12/5/2009, 02:25 AM

No it isn't. A private school can discriminate in regards to religous and and morals issues with regard to who it hires for any position.

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2009, 02:43 AM
By that reasoning a private company could have a no Jews policy or a country club could have a no Republicans policy. I think blatantly refusing to hire someone on the basis of their stance on abortion could be a rocky road to travel. That's why they won't say that's why even if it is...They'll say they looked and the coaching style wasn't what they were looking for.

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2009, 05:28 AM
By that reasoning a private company could have a no Jews policy or a country club could have a no Republicans policy...I think blatantly refusing to hire someone on the basis of their stance on abortion could be a rocky road to travel.

Ever filled an appication to teach at a religious school? They come right out and ask you. Tell them you're a Jew, and they won't hire you. Many require you to belong to the same denomination as the school.

soonerinabilene
12/5/2009, 07:37 AM
abilene christian university requires, and states so in any advertisement for any position at the school, that you be a professing believer in jesus christ as the savior of your life(verbatim)

adoniijahsooner
12/5/2009, 08:47 AM
Ever filled an appication to teach at a religious school? They come right out and ask you. Tell them you're a Jew, and they won't hire you. Many require you to belong to the same denomination as the school.

Yeah they are no under no obligation, because they are a private institution.

VA Sooner
12/5/2009, 08:52 AM
Constantly trying to read more into Stoops' words than even Stoops "intended".

recemp
12/5/2009, 12:20 PM
Chicago newspapers have Stoops picture in them everyday.
Folks up here remember Gary Barnett and the "I'm definitely not leaving Northwestern"
Rumors won't die until ND hires a coach.
It got me to thinking though, who would we replace Bob with?

Bonehead
12/5/2009, 12:50 PM

The law on this is that religious institutions can discriminate when hiring for positions in which there is a reasonable expectation that the employee's job is to promote the religious views of the organization. But for employee's who's job has nothing to do promoting the views of the organization no discrimination is allowed.

For example a religious organization can discriminate in hiring a teacher but not in hiring a janitor.

Hiring a football coach? That's a grey area. But I wouldn't look for ND to hire a coach who is publicly prochoice.

Theskipster
12/5/2009, 01:16 PM
Chicago newspapers have Stoops picture in them everyday.
Folks up here remember Gary Barnett and the "I'm definitely not leaving Northwestern"
Rumors won't die until ND hires a coach.
It got me to thinking though, who would we replace Bob with?

Probably Brent Venables.

yermom
12/5/2009, 01:34 PM
i think they'll die when ND announces a new coach

as stated in this thread, coaches are staying, until they aren't

i love Stoops and all, but what is he going to say?

"well, i'm talking to Notre Dame, but they haven't sold me yet, maybe when they cough up a couple more million"

fadada1
12/5/2009, 01:58 PM
notre dame wants to be "old" notre dame in the worst way and it's killing them that they're not. personally, if i were offered the nd job, i'd reference the likes of terrell owens, alan iverson, etc... they can play, but NOT ON MY TEAM. why, in THE hell, would i want that kind of headache.

this whole thing about them not playing in a bowl game is comical. get over yourselves, you self-rightious *******s!!! their AD is basically telling the players, "we don't give a **** about you and your experience here at nd. go **** yourselves."

Blues1
12/5/2009, 02:05 PM
Prediction:
I say ND ends up with SKIP Holtz ----

And Five years from now they have to fight With LOU when they Fire Skip.... :)

TMcGee86
12/5/2009, 02:23 PM

Discrimination happens every day and isn't illegal. That's like me saying that Harvard Law School discriminated against me because I had a low LSAT score.

Notre Dame is not a state run facility, therefore they have the right to discriminate based on religious views.

You think if the greatest head coach in history was a devout Satanist and wanted to coach there he could sue them for discrimination if they turned him down? Hell no.

(see what I did there. :P )

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2009, 02:30 PM
I have heard that Bob Stoops was confiscated by the FBI and will be on display in the Smithsonian!

Jacie
12/5/2009, 02:41 PM
Here is a link to "Irish Envy". Note the highlight video on the right side of the page.

http://www.irishenvy.com/

I think that in itself is a sign the Notre Dame faithful want Bob Stoops the way a crack junkie wants another rock and not getting him hurts.

In other news, the Domers have elected not to accept a bowl bid this season.

OU86
12/5/2009, 02:43 PM
Discrimination happens every day and isn't illegal. That's like me saying that Harvard Law School discriminated against me because I had a low LSAT score.

Notre Dame is not a state run facility, therefore they have the right to discriminate based on religious views.

You think if the greatest head coach in history was a devout Satanist and wanted to coach there he could sue them for discrimination if they turned him down? Hell no.

(see what I did there. :P )

You too!?! There must be some kind of conspiracy to keep us boneheads down! We oughta get a union or sumpin.

PLaw
12/5/2009, 02:45 PM
This is ridiculous. Notre Dame has plenty of money and will surely spend some on their new coach. But this idea Notre Dame can outbid anyone and is a bottomless pit of money is absurd, especially considering their TV contract is CTD.

and if money is not a problem to hire a new coach, then why have they let there facilities deteriorate to the level of a mid-major?

cash flow may be more of an issue than what you would think.

BOOMER

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2009, 02:58 PM
Hiring a football coach? That's a grey area.

When it comes to a student athlete, more than anyone on campus the coach is the predominant influence on the character development of the athlete. He is a teacher, and he certainly has far more influence than the math teacher.

Do you want a coach at Notre Dame hosting pre-game Satanic rituals?

Gray area? I don't think so, especially since one of the primary roles of the coach is to recruit, making him a highly visible representative of a religious institution.

If Notre Dame doesn't want a pro-choice coach, they can make it stick.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2009, 03:00 PM
Arrogance led to the deterioration of their facilities. They think kids should recruit themselves to Notre Dame. They think their name is all that is required of them.

fadada1
12/5/2009, 03:11 PM
Arrogance led to the deterioration of their facilities. They think kids should recruit themselves to Notre Dame. They think their name is all that is required of them.

lou holtz said they have the best facilities in the country. somebody has to be wrong... and my guess is it ain't SF.com.

;)

delhalew
12/5/2009, 03:37 PM
Man, I read their forum for a while. These people live in another universe.