PDA

View Full Version : The War On "Happy Holidays"

bri
12/4/2009, 02:17 PM
Ah, my favorite part of the year; a solid month of people getting butthurt and acting like dicks because you didn't phrase your well-wishes to their liking. :D

Pricetag
12/4/2009, 02:23 PM
This is my holiday, mofo.

olevetonahill
12/4/2009, 03:50 PM
Merry ****in Christmas ******* :P

Collier11
12/4/2009, 04:27 PM
It does get rediculous, my stance on it is this...I have no problem with people saying Happy Holidays, sending out cards that say that, etc... there are a lot of different religions in America so that is fine, I do have a problem with those who act like asses because you made a public display of Merry Christmas. Christmas is a national holiday in this country, most Americans celebrate Christmas even if they arent Christian, therefore get over yourself

OUMallen
12/4/2009, 05:08 PM
Are you talking about displays of XMas stuff on public property? Or just in general. Cuz I love when individuals go overboard on XMas decorations...but I'm pretty strict-constitutionalist on the public property thing.

It's always amazing to me when someone can say something NICE (e.g.- happy holidays) and it's taken in a negative manner. Well FU then Jack, I won't waste money on XMas cards!

Collier11
12/4/2009, 05:21 PM
Heh, im saying as long as Christmas is a national holiday it should be able to be displayed anywhere by anyone without someone throwing a fit

yermom
12/4/2009, 05:26 PM
seems to me people are throwing a fit because someone is saying Happy Holidays, not the other way around...

bonkuba
12/4/2009, 05:36 PM
I just hate how these idiots have screwed up my favorite holiday. Geeeeeeesh. As long as it's against a Christian holiday.....then balls to the walls.....kill 'em all.....if it is any other religion........eh....not so much (that pisses me off as well).

OK now back to the Christmas spririt :D :D

Hot Rod
12/4/2009, 05:41 PM
Merry Christmas to you all...

...and Happy Festivus to you Gostanzas.

Chuck Bao
12/4/2009, 06:04 PM
I don't really care one way or the other. I don't really need lights and decorations and cards to put me in the Christmas spirit. I don't get too worked up on "holiday" replacing "Christmas. If my tax dollars are going into a public holiday display, I would like to see evidence that it is bringing in shoppers. I would imagine that a large chunk of annual sales tax revenues for our local communities are brought in during the month of December. I think it is a logical business decision. And, that has nothing to do with Christmas in my way of thinking.

olevetonahill
12/4/2009, 07:18 PM
seems to me people are throwing a fit because someone is saying Happy Holidays, not the other way around...

Naw bro
Most dont give a **** what ya say
what they gettin pizzed about is the MoFos tellin em they WRONG fer wanting to Keep saying
Merry ****ing Christmas:D

C&CDean
12/4/2009, 08:17 PM
I don't know. The only reason we have this "season" is because some folks believe the Saviour of the universe was born, and it oughta be celebrated - even though it ain't really on the day Jesus Christ was born. If it wasn't for this little factoid, there wouldn't be a Christmas, christianity, and a whole lot of other ****.

Me? I'm a Merry Christmas kinda guy. Come up and tell me "happy holidays" and I'll give you a hearty "Merry Christmas" in return. In fact, I think people who say "happy holidays" are nothing more than little clone PC punkasses who've been conditioned to insure nobody gets offended. Unless, of course, it's christians. Then it's cool...

Anyhow, Merry Christmas to all you ****wads.

Scott D
12/4/2009, 08:22 PM
There ya go, Dean hates Jews ;)

SunnySooner
12/4/2009, 08:27 PM
Mele Kalikimaka and Hauole Makahiki Hou!!!

That's about all the Hawaiian I remember, aside from my old street name, but just say that, and people won't know what the hell you're talking about, and will be too confused to be offended.:D :D :D

btk108
12/4/2009, 08:35 PM
happy holidays my ***....it's Xmas, dammit

Scott D
12/4/2009, 08:36 PM
na'au ta'vai menehune sa'ava ta'le

C&CDean
12/4/2009, 08:43 PM
There ya go, Dean hates Jews ;)

Dude, I am a Jew...

Scott D
12/4/2009, 08:48 PM
such a self loather at that ;)

btk108
12/4/2009, 08:56 PM
Dude, I am a Jew...

Jesus was a Jew

C&CDean
12/4/2009, 09:09 PM
Me, Jesus, and Oldnslo. You show me a better threesome. And not one of you better start with the father, the son, the holy.....

Scott D
12/4/2009, 09:45 PM
Me, Jesus, and Oldnslo. You show me a better threesome. And not one of you better start with the father, the son, the holy.....

in the late 80s? Rachel Hunter, Kathy Ireland, and Elle MacPherson.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/4/2009, 10:40 PM

William Shatner, Edward G. Robinson, and Rodney Dangerfield.

FOR THE WIN!

yermom
12/5/2009, 12:17 AM
I don't know. The only reason we have this "season" is because some folks believe the Saviour of the universe was born, and it oughta be celebrated - even though it ain't really on the day Jesus Christ was born. If it wasn't for this little factoid, there wouldn't be a Christmas, christianity, and a whole lot of other ****.

Me? I'm a Merry Christmas kinda guy. Come up and tell me "happy holidays" and I'll give you a hearty "Merry Christmas" in return. In fact, I think people who say "happy holidays" are nothing more than little clone PC punkasses who've been conditioned to insure nobody gets offended. Unless, of course, it's christians. Then it's cool...

it was the solstice before it was Christmas

Collier11
12/5/2009, 11:43 AM

Yea I acknowledged that in my first post, I think that is very idiotic

Collier11
12/5/2009, 11:44 AM
Naw bro
Most dont give a **** what ya say
what they gettin pizzed about is the MoFos tellin em they WRONG fer wanting to Keep saying
Merry ****ing Christmas:D

Def This!

47straight
12/5/2009, 04:11 PM
it was the solstice before it was Christmas

The solstice used to be on December 25? Wow, at this rate, in 10,000 years the winter solstice will be in the summer! Well, it won't be the winter.

StoopTroup
12/5/2009, 04:34 PM
If someone says "Happy Holidays" to you....respond with "Merry Throat Punch!" :D ;)

Scott D
12/5/2009, 06:16 PM
The solstice used to be on December 25? Wow, at this rate, in 10,000 years the winter solstice will be in the summer! Well, it won't be the winter.

Well considering the two largest holidays in Christianity happen to fall within days of the two major solstices isn't merely a coincidence. So, basically you have the Irish to thank for both Easter and Christmas.

1890MilesToNorman
12/5/2009, 06:23 PM
If yer team is going to a bowl game I will say Happy Bowl game to you, if yer team ain't going then I say suck it loser.

yermom
12/5/2009, 06:25 PM
If yer team is going to a bowl game I will say Happy Bowl game to you, if yer team ain't going then I say suck it loser.

it's the most wonderful time of the year

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2009, 07:07 PM
Well considering the two largest holidays in Christianity happen to fall within days of the two major solstices isn't merely a coincidence. So, basically you have the Irish to thank for both Easter and Christmas.

Easter is in June?

JohnnyMack
12/5/2009, 07:56 PM
This season is about celebrating rebirth. It's been hijacked by religions all over this globe, but the origination is clearly about the earth turning towards spring as the days lengthen.

C&CDean
12/6/2009, 10:03 AM
This season is about celebrating rebirth. It's been hijacked by religions all over this globe, but the origination is clearly about the earth turning towards spring as the days lengthen.

You're full of ****. The solstice is one thing. Christmas is another. The whole "season" thing is a creation by a bunch of greedy marketeers wanting to rape everyone's wallet. It starts in late August with Haloween crap, and doesn't end until after Christmas.

yermom
12/6/2009, 11:08 AM
first hijacked by Christians, then hijacked by retailers

Scott D
12/6/2009, 02:22 PM
Easter is in June?

Touche'. Easter is coincidental ;) with the Spring Equinox.

47straight
12/6/2009, 03:47 PM
Touche'. Easter is coincidental ;) with the Spring Equinox.

Really? This whole time I thought the date of Easter was tied to calculation of the date of Passover.

You're right though. Easter moves around every year. That's in NO WAY related to the pecularities of the traditional Jewish calendar. It has everything to with a fixed day that never changes that occurs within the same 2-3 month window.

While we're at it, I think your logic also shows that Judeo-Christians totally ripped off the Bible from the pagans. I mean, the pagans invented writing.

Scott D
12/6/2009, 04:26 PM
It's not my logic..who do you think had a larger hand at converting the pagan Europeans to Christianity? It most certainly was not the Romans...hell Rome wasn't primarily Christian until after the fall of the Roman Empire. Christianity spread like wildfire in Ireland, and these more modern 'bards' went forth to places such as (now) Germany, France, Belgium and spread the word of Christ. As time went forward, they associated Christian special periods to coincide with paganistic celebrations in order to strengthen the roots of Christianity and allow it to spread much more popularly than it had before. A Majority of monasteries in Europe were named after Irish missionaries who were raised to sainthood by Rome.

And I'd have to look it back up in a text, but I know that in Irish history they lay claim to Peter coming to Ireland to start spreading 'The Word'.

47straight
12/6/2009, 04:36 PM
No.

bri
12/6/2009, 11:58 PM
While we're at it, I think your logic also shows that Judeo-Christians totally ripped off the Bible from the pagans. I mean, the pagans invented writing.

No, no, they just ripped off the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I say "happy holidays" until about three days or so before Christmas. Then I switch to "Merry Christmas". After that, I gear up with "happy new year" and when that's over, I go back to my usual greeting of "What the f*ck do you want?"

Scott D
12/7/2009, 12:55 AM
No.

eloquently put, certainly nobody can counter that point in any single way. Way to be at the top of your game.

NormanPride
12/7/2009, 12:20 PM
eloquently put, certainly nobody can counter that point in any single way. Way to be at the top of your game.

Yes.

47straight
12/7/2009, 02:14 PM

I was trying to be charitable. I had made a list of what you needed to go back and rethink, but it sounded harsh. I forget that sometimes when an anonymous person on the Internet makes a litany of basic factural errors, you just can't win. So, no.

TUSooner
12/7/2009, 02:16 PM
Ah, my favorite part of the year; a solid month of people getting butthurt and acting like dicks because you didn't phrase your well-wishes to their liking. :D

What's the fun of saying "Merry Christmas" if you can't also say
"**** you" with righteous indignation to all of "them" who are trying to wipe Christanity from the face of the Earth? ;)

I especially liked the irony of getting a "Jesus wants you to say 'Merry Christmas' to the ACLU and all other those liberal ****suckers" email from one of the crudest and most vulgar dudes I ever knew. It so captures the whole Peace on Earth theme. :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
12/7/2009, 02:31 PM
I was trying to be charitable. I had made a list of what you needed to go back and rethink, but it sounded harsh. I forget that sometimes when an anonymous person on the Internet makes a litany of basic factural errors, you just can't win. So, no.

Wait. So you're saying Jesus DID have a Christmas tree at the last supper?

The Remnant
12/7/2009, 05:18 PM
Those damned Christians are at it again. What's next? A national holiday celebrating the birth of their Savior?

Scott D
12/7/2009, 05:29 PM

No.

Oldnslo
12/7/2009, 06:41 PM

yikes. ... and to think, I had a hard time explaining to my wife how I got to be called King of the Hillbillies.

FWIW, I'm all in favor of glad tidings, whatever the form. In my experience, it isn't Jews who howl that you're leaving them out of "your" holiday, it's Christians who are somehow tweaked that you might recognize that it's a Great Big World out there.

Here's a fun fact: without Hannukah, there'd be no Christmas.

But for a band of zealots, we'd all be worshipping baal, or whoever assyrians/syrians (I forget) took over the Temple. Assuming no other miracles, and all that.

So, have yourself a Merry Little Christmas! And while you're celebrating, give a happy thought to the Maccabees and extend a fully erect middle finger to the memory of Antiochus.

the_ouskull
12/7/2009, 08:38 PM
First of all, I can say without any equivocation, or mental reservation (wink for those who get that) that I LIVE for the day that I say "Merry Christmas" to someone, and they try to berate me for it. I LIVE for that day.

Having said that, I am the farthest thing in the world from an "in-your-face" Christian. I just don't need a bunch of P.C. d*ckheads trying to tell me how to celebrate my holidays.

Also, for what it's worth, I tend to (subconsciously) alternate between the two season's greetings. But the fact that anybody gets upset by one or the other is just another of many signs that we're falling to sh*t because of the p*ssification of this country.

As for the second thing I have to say...

-- Funny Answer: Moe, Larry, Curly ('cause f*ck Shemp, that's why)
-- Real Answer: Me, Scarlett Jo, and Christina Hendricks.

If any of you make the latter happen, I PROMISE pics and video. Promise.

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
12/7/2009, 08:46 PM
I ran into a guy who told me he was a Messianic Jew today. I told his G/F or Wife, I'm not sure which, Merry Christmas and she told me to do the same.

I think they believe in Jesus but I'm not sure about Christmas.

Anyway...I just realized how tough it is anymore just to be yourself without feeling like you might hurt someones feelings.

I'm gonna continue that whether or not you believe...I still hope you have a Merry Christmas and you don't get bummed out by the rest of us just trying to be nice and spread goodwill for everyone.

Oldnslo
12/7/2009, 09:49 PM
I ran into a guy who told me he was a Messianic Jew today. I told his G/F or Wife, I'm not sure which, Merry Christmas and she told me to do the same.

I think they believe in Jesus but I'm not sure about Christmas.

Anyway...I just realized how tough it is anymore just to be yourself without feeling like you might hurt someones feelings.

I'm gonna continue that whether or not you believe...I still hope you have a Merry Christmas and you don't get bummed out by the rest of us just trying to be nice and spread goodwill for everyone.

Messianic Jews are confused. In order to be a messianic Jew, you must believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah. However, if one believes Jesus to have been the Messiah, that individual is a Christian. Jews believe, among other things, that Jesus was the son of Joseph the Carpenter.

I actually feel sad for Messianic Jews. They're neither here nor there.

There are people out there who hold both JD's and MD's. Doctors think of them as lawyers and lawyers think of them as doctors and all of everybody wonders why the hell they spent so much time in school doing all that. Sort of the same deal. By trying to be in both groups, they're effectively in neither.

I have, never once, corrected anyone who wished me a Merry Christmas.

JohnnyMack
12/7/2009, 09:56 PM
My Jewish friends who eat bacon are much cooler than those who don't.

sooneron
12/7/2009, 10:31 PM

Or maybe some of us come into contact with people that my be jewish about 50% of the time.:rolleyes:

sooneron
12/7/2009, 10:37 PM
And little baby Jeebus was born around April 6th according to some...

SanJoaquinSooner
12/7/2009, 10:38 PM
Are any of you observing the Feast of the Immaculate Conception tomorrow, Dec 8?

sooneron
12/7/2009, 10:44 PM
Are any of you observing the Feast of the Immaculate Conception tomorrow, Dec 8?

If it means a possible lunch date at Panera with a virgin, then, yes.

the_ouskull
12/8/2009, 12:19 AM
If it means a possible lunch date at Panera with a virgin, then, yes.

Sweet! Pantera plays afternoon shows now...?

Sorry, I mis-read. Carry on. Good luck finding a virgin. :D

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
12/8/2009, 12:25 AM

I've learned that my own feelings matter a lot more than the feelings of others, and, that, generally, when people have a problem with what I say, once you dig a little deeper, it's usually more of a problem with the WAY that I say it than the actual content of the message. If you live life with a filter, you're always going to be second-guessing yourself. I find it's easier to have no secrets from yourself or others. That way, no matter what you say (or think) as long as you're a morally and fundamentally sound human being, you don't have anybody to whom you need to answer.

I mean, I'm not the best example, because I take a (larger than small, but totally not medium-sized) bit of satisfaction in being arrogant towards the ignorant, unwashed masses, but you know what I mean. Basically, if you live your life the right way, no secrets, no hypocrisy, then you shouldn't have any concerns about hurting someone's feelers either. I think that's what I'm trying, fairly unsuccessfully, to say right now.

Dude, I am a Jew...

Funny, she doesn't look Drewish.

the_ouskull

Chuck Bao
12/8/2009, 02:14 AM
yikes. ... and to think, I had a hard time explaining to my wife how I got to be called King of the Hillbillies.

FWIW, I'm all in favor of glad tidings, whatever the form. In my experience, it isn't Jews who howl that you're leaving them out of "your" holiday, it's Christians who are somehow tweaked that you might recognize that it's a Great Big World out there.

Here's a fun fact: without Hannukah, there'd be no Christmas.

But for a band of zealots, we'd all be worshipping baal, or whoever assyrians/syrians (I forget) took over the Temple. Assuming no other miracles, and all that.

So, have yourself a Merry Little Christmas! And while you're celebrating, give a happy thought to the Maccabees and extend a fully erect middle finger to the memory of Antiochus.

It is interesting that you point that out. A lot of posts here are about the conversion of the pagans after Christianity and the impact on the fledgling religion. Not so much about the early faith of a small backwater and relatively poor tribe village at that time which later became Jerusalem. There is more pagan heritage there and that was largely erased from history. Shalem, Salem or Salim comes from the Canaanite patheon of gods. It is interesting to me that the idea of one true god and good versus evil could be found in other religions at that time and could very well have be adopted by the early Isrealites. There is no doubt that nationalism and a benefactor God and one of vengence played the role.

The most obvious example is the very short Egyptian flirtation with a monothesistic religion in the form of Aten from the reign of Amenhotep IV, a pharaoh around 1336 BC. There is nothing in the Egyptian records about an exodus except eventual expulsion of the Hyksos which, according to the Eygptians were shepherd kings or the hillbillies of their day. They could have picked it up there.

Or, Zoasterism, which probably came from an early form of Hinduism could have played a part in the re-writing of history through the Isrealites' sacred text.

I don't know what would have happened if the Old Testament wasn't written. I suppose that a monotheistic relgion would have still spread in a Hellenistic world after Alexander the Great. I think one true religion and one true God would have to play out in Europe just as the muslim faith did with the sea-faring people visiting Southeast Asia who were previously hindu/buddhist. But, that is another interesting topic.

I find it interesting that our religious beliefs have so much grounding in paganism. That is a comfort in that modern religion isn't so far away from the beliefs of the ancestors who in human history terms account for what 99.8% of human existance or since the Garden of Eden.

Scott D
12/8/2009, 02:29 AM
apparently the proper response is "No."

King Barry's Back
12/8/2009, 06:25 AM
Are you talking about displays of XMas stuff on public property? Or just in general. Cuz I love when individuals go overboard on XMas decorations...but I'm pretty strict-constitutionalist on the public property thing.

It's always amazing to me when someone can say something NICE (e.g.- happy holidays) and it's taken in a negative manner. Well FU then Jack, I won't waste money on XMas cards!

Well, I probably agree pretty closely with your views on Christmas displays on public property. However, you should be careful about calling that strict-constitutionalism.

I think the Framers would never have imagined that the Constitution would be used to say that City Hall couldn't decorate the town square for Christmas. However, they also would never have imagined the 100,000 blinking light bonanzas that we have today, so you never know.

TUSooner
12/8/2009, 09:49 AM
My sister sent me an email today wishing me a "Merry Christmas." So far so good. But at the bottom of my screeen, the email reminded me that it was offered as angry challenge to the evil forces of political correctness rather than a heartfelt wish for God's Peace and Blessings. :( :rolleyes: I love my sister dearly, but I deleted her email. I like my cup of good cheer without vinegar, thanks!

sooneron
12/8/2009, 10:12 AM
Carry on. Good luck finding a virgin. :D

the_ouskull

... in Jersey!:texan:

Sooner24
12/8/2009, 10:14 AM
You're full of ****. The solstice is one thing. Christmas is another. The whole "season" thing is a creation by a bunch of greedy marketeers wanting to rape everyone's wallet. It starts in late August with Haloween crap, and doesn't end until after Christmas.

When my son and I were in Florida for the Miami game we ran into K-Mart and they already had Christmas trees and other decorations out. :eek:

C&CDean
12/8/2009, 11:04 AM
Or maybe some of us come into contact with people that my be jewish about 50% of the time.:rolleyes:

So what's your point?

You live in NY, and there's a lot of Jews in NY? Is that it? Are any of them offended if you said "Merry Christmas?" I'm thinking probably not. In fact I'd bet most of them are making a ton of $$ off Christmas, and like it very much.

Happy Holidays is fine. People have been saying it for a long, long time. Way before we became a bunch of pantywaist PC faggots. My main issue with the whole "holiday" theme is that the aforementioned PC homos have taken it way too far. No more Christmas parties. Now it's a "holiday celebration." It's a lot more fun getting slobbering drunk at the company Christmas party than it is at a lame-assed holiday celebration.

What I'd like to see is me going "Merry Christmas" and some Jew going "Happy Hannukah" and some brotherman going "Kwanzaa on my brothers" and some muslim going "ramadamadingdong..." I like it better than the generic, nobody gets offended, lame as hell "happy holidays."

JohnnyMack
12/8/2009, 11:08 AM
Happy Holidays to you and yours Dean.

C&CDean
12/8/2009, 11:11 AM
And a hearty Merry Blow Me to you Johny Mack.

fadada1
12/8/2009, 11:15 AM
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8672/festivus.jpg (http://img705.imageshack.us/i/festivus.jpg/)

Oldnslo
12/8/2009, 11:31 AM
Happy Holidays to you and yours Dean.

Golden.

sooneron
12/8/2009, 01:22 PM
So what's your point?

You live in NY, and there's a lot of Jews in NY? Is that it? Are any of them offended if you said "Merry Christmas?" I'm thinking probably not.

Offended? No, but it's pointless and stupid. It's like a whorn saying happy Big 12 championship game to you this week. Yeah, I know it's not as mean spirited, but you can see how it doesn't apply.

In fact I'd bet most of them are making a ton of $$ off Christmas, and like it very much.

Wow, stereotype much? I don't personally know any Jewish people in retail. I know, shocker cuz that blows the broad brush right out of your hand.:rolleyes:

Happy Holidays is fine. People have been saying it for a long, long time. Way before we became a bunch of pantywaist PC faggots. My main issue with the whole "holiday" theme is that the aforementioned PC homos have taken it way too far. No more Christmas parties. Now it's a "holiday celebration." It's a lot more fun getting slobbering drunk at the company Christmas party than it is at a lame-assed holiday celebration.

What I'd like to see is me going "Merry Christmas" and some Jew going "Happy Hannukah" and some brotherman going "Kwanzaa on my brothers" and some muslim going "ramadamadingdong..." I like it better than the generic, nobody gets offended, lame as hell "happy holidays."

but I thought you said Happy Holidays is fine, like one paragraph ago...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 01:41 PM
Personally, I'm going to spend the rest of this month telling people "ramadamadingdong"....

Collier11
12/8/2009, 01:47 PM
I second that

C&CDean
12/8/2009, 02:41 PM
Offended? No, but it's pointless and stupid. It's like a whorn saying happy Big 12 championship game to you this week. Yeah, I know it's not as mean spirited, but you can see how it doesn't apply.

Wow, stereotype much? I don't personally know any Jewish people in retail. I know, shocker cuz that blows the broad brush right out of your hand.:rolleyes:

but I thought you said Happy Holidays is fine, like one paragraph ago...

Oh. So now you're gonna play the guilty white boy for the Jews too huh? Meh.

Dude, I am Jewish. Get it? Not a practicing go to the Synagogue wearing the yarmulke to bed kinda guy, but ethnically, I am a German-Jew. Religiously? Not so much. Besides, it's a proven fact on this board that I'm a homophobic racist bigot mother****er. So, no skin off my ***...:bsmf:

Anyhow, folks all over the world say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Christmas." The Big-12 analogy is ****ing dumb. You can do better than that.

Now that all that's cleared up, saying "Happy Holidays" when you're talking about the whole season (Thanksgiving through New Years) is cool. Saying it on Christmas or when you're referring to the Christmas part of the holiday season is lame. And pathetically PC. Stop it.

Scott D
12/8/2009, 02:53 PM
Personally I'm going to walk up to people and say "No." and walk off.

Collier11
12/8/2009, 02:56 PM
So if someone walks up to me and says Happy Holidays I shouldnt tell them they are going to Hell? Im confused???

;)

Scott D
12/8/2009, 03:00 PM
No.

Collier11
12/8/2009, 03:10 PM
ok, glad you cleared that up for me

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 03:11 PM
When people tell me Happy Holidays, Im going to yell out

"I got ****d by Tiger Woods!"

Is that proper? Im thinking about making a shirt with that on it

Scott D
12/8/2009, 03:55 PM
No.

olevetonahill
12/8/2009, 03:58 PM
So if someone walks up to me and says Happy Holidays I shouldnt tell them they are going to Hell? Im confused???

;)

If some walks up to Me an says NO , Ima kick em in the Nuts :D

Ike
12/8/2009, 04:17 PM
My sister sent me an email today wishing me a "Merry Christmas." So far so good. But at the bottom of my screeen, the email reminded me that it was offered as angry challenge to the evil forces of political correctness rather than a heartfelt wish for God's Peace and Blessings. :( :rolleyes: I love my sister dearly, but I deleted her email. I like my cup of good cheer without vinegar, thanks!

FTW.

Merry Hollidays to all you ***wipes. Seriously. Whatever it is you do to celebrate whatever it is you celebrate with whoever it is you celebrate with, I hope it all brings you plenty of joy and cheer to last you through the winter.

Past that, I really don't care.

JohnnyMack
12/8/2009, 04:21 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/celtic_happy_solstice_greeting_card-p137684557213014455q6k5_400.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 04:27 PM
I got ****d by Tiger Woods!!

Collier11
12/8/2009, 04:30 PM
I got ****d by CK!!

This...

Scott D
12/8/2009, 04:33 PM
If some walks up to Me an says NO , Ima kick em in the Nuts :D

No.

Collier11
12/8/2009, 04:34 PM
ah snaps

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 04:40 PM
Scott D laying his pimp hand down strong

Collier11
12/8/2009, 04:43 PM
Wait, I thought ScottD was the HO, he is the pimp?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2009, 05:12 PM
2 pimps.....4 strong pimp hands

olevetonahill
12/8/2009, 05:28 PM
No.

Told ya .
http://www.vivalavoiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kicked-nuts-record.jpg

47straight
12/8/2009, 05:54 PM
Wait. So you're saying Jesus DID have a Christmas tree at the last supper?

Makes more sense than a spring solstice or St. Peter going to Ireland.

JohnnyMack
12/8/2009, 06:17 PM
Regardless of all that, the christian holiday of Christmas is most certainly not celebrated during the time of year that it's celebrated by accident.

Scott D
12/8/2009, 10:37 PM
No.

Chuck Bao
12/8/2009, 11:02 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/celtic_happy_solstice_greeting_card-p137684557213014455q6k5_400.jpg

I really like that. Do you have a Happy summer solstice greeting too?

I am not celebrating Christmas this year. I am not returning home and I will work that day.

I always thought that Christmas was a winter solstice pagan replacement holiday, just that the calendar was a bit out of whack to our current calendar. I guess I was wrong. The winter and summer solstices were pretty easy to identify by any pagan or anyone else for that matter able to put a stick in the ground.

I don't know if that is entirely correct. In Bangkok the sun rises and sets almost exactly at 6:30am and 6:30pm every day and throughout the year. We don't have any of the daylight savings bull****. But, my question is why. In the tropics, there should be some difference between winter and summer months. Okay, forget my idea of sticking a stick in the ground and watching the shadow, but the Mayans were doing that and the Incans even closer to the equator were doing that. Maybe they just had a bigger stick.

JohnnyMack
12/8/2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.manataka.org/images/SummerSolstice.jpg

MR2-Sooner86
12/8/2009, 11:09 PM
You guys know nothing about Christmas! It's the holiday where Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow we have a bad winter. There's also something in there about him wearing green and getting drunk.

....and fireworks!

olevetonahill
12/8/2009, 11:52 PM
You guys know nothing about Christmas! It's the holiday where Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow we have a bad winter. There's also something in there about him wearing green and getting drunk.

....and fireworks!

Yo Bro ya left out the part where he gives da Hos Candy and jewlry, while chasin an egg layin rabbit :rolleyes:

47straight
12/9/2009, 11:45 AM
I really like that. Do you have a Happy summer solstice greeting too?

I am not celebrating Christmas this year. I am not returning home and I will work that day.

I always thought that Christmas was a winter solstice pagan replacement holiday, just that the calendar was a bit out of whack to our current calendar. I guess I was wrong. The winter and summer solstices were pretty easy to identify by any pagan or anyone else for that matter able to put a stick in the ground.

I don't know if that is entirely correct. In Bangkok the sun rises and sets almost exactly at 6:30am and 6:30pm every day and throughout the year. We don't have any of the daylight savings bull****. But, my question is why. In the tropics, there should be some difference between winter and summer months. Okay, forget my idea of sticking a stick in the ground and watching the shadow, but the Mayans were doing that and the Incans even closer to the equator were doing that. Maybe they just had a bigger stick.

The Americans totally ripped off the summer solstice for its "4th of July" celebration. Combine that with the fact that many people in the United States are not citizens of the US, I think we all should be saying Happy Holidays in early July.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/9/2009, 11:56 AM
Feliz Navidad, vatos!

SanJoaquinSooner
12/11/2009, 02:58 PM
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/bilde.jpg

Say Merry Christmas. Or else!

Someone at the recent Stockton Unified school board meeting had the temerity to call a Christmas tree a "holiday tree."

Down swooped Trustee Bill Ross. "People have been trying to say 'holiday tree,' not 'Christmas tree,' " Ross stormed. "Hanukkah is Hanukkah, Ramadan is Ramadan, or whatever it is."

And Christmas is Christ-mas, proclaimed Ross, who twice pronounced Hanukkah "Hannaka."

People should say, "Merry Christmas, not just Happy Holidays," Ross thundered on. "I really take offense to those who take offense at my celebration. ... It's about the name, Christ."

Of Stockton Unified employees disinclined to utter his name, Ross said, "You can just do what you want that day and give the money back for time-and-a-half and double time."

Concluding in table-thumping mode, Ross added, "I personally will throw away every holiday card that comes to my home if it doesn't say Merry Christmas."

I called Ross to better understand his passionate outburst.

Ross said, "I ask the question, what is it that people have against saying Merry Christmas?"

I suggested many people, wary of giving offense in a diverse community, take the safe route.

Ross disagreed. "Well, they offend me. Don't I count? We have Judeo-Christian principles."

I didn't get a chance to ask, "Who's 'we'?"

"I've come to believe that it's about his name that they don't like," Ross boiled on. "They don't want you to say a prayer in his name. They don't like him. Or they want to restrict my rights. So it's an anti-religion type of thing.

"You should understand if you come into America that we have traditions. ... This is America," Ross said.

Our conversation left me wondering if Ross was righteously battling silly censorship of the politically correct or pining for a bygone, more homogenous America.

"I just think it is time for those people to grow up and not disrespect me or offend me," Ross said. "And don't send me a 'Happy Holidays,' card or it's going to go in the trash!"

The Record 9/11/09
(published in San Joaquin County, CA)

Collier11
12/11/2009, 03:05 PM
yer point?

yermom
12/11/2009, 03:05 PM
i had no idea Dean lived in California :D

sooneron
12/11/2009, 03:59 PM
Oh. So now you're gonna play the guilty white boy for the Jews too huh? Meh.

Dude, I am Jewish. Get it? Not a practicing go to the Synagogue wearing the yarmulke to bed kinda guy, but ethnically, I am a German-Jew. Religiously? Not so much. Besides, it's a proven fact on this board that I'm a homophobic racist bigot mother****er. So, no skin off my ***...:bsmf:

Anyhow, folks all over the world say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Christmas." The Big-12 analogy is ****ing dumb. You can do better than that.

Now that all that's cleared up, saying "Happy Holidays" when you're talking about the whole season (Thanksgiving through New Years) is cool. Saying it on Christmas or when you're referring to the Christmas part of the holiday season is lame. And pathetically PC. Stop it.Guilt?
Nope. I think it's pointless and stupid to say some sort of salutation or wish to someone where it does not apply. And I applaud your bigotry.

sooneron
12/11/2009, 04:00 PM
Feliz Navidad, vatos!
NO.:D

Partial Qualifier
12/11/2009, 04:25 PM
Messianic Jews are confused. In order to be a messianic Jew, you must believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah. However, if one believes Jesus to have been the Messiah, that individual is a Christian. Jews believe, among other things, that Jesus was the son of Joseph the Carpenter.

Actually, I think you're confused. Or just misinformed. Yours is a ridiculously shortsighted depiction of Messianic Judaists. They're not trying to be Jewish and Christian at the same time; rather, they practice Christianity just as the original Christians did. Before the Roman Catholic bastardization of Christianity, all Christians were Messianic Jews. They did Hannaukah, Passover, etc. but they accepted Jesus as their savior and as the son of God.

I actually feel sad for Messianic Jews. They're neither here nor there.

How very benevolent of you!

There are people out there who hold both JD's and MD's. Doctors think of them as lawyers and lawyers think of them as doctors and all of everybody wonders why the hell they spent so much time in school doing all that. Sort of the same deal. By trying to be in both groups, they're effectively in neither.

Okay, Genny McGeneralization.

I know many Messianic Judaists and just like other flavors of Christianity, they're not a perfect lot. At least they're trying to be genuine. I am not a very religious person but if I wanted to do Christianity right, I would research this **** like mad... and I have to tell you, no sect can really lay claim to being "authentic Christians" besides Messianic Judaists.

TAFBSooner
12/11/2009, 04:29 PM
My favorite part of the season - choosing up sides in the annual Bing Crosby (tm) War on Christmas. ;)

Frozen Sooner
12/11/2009, 04:40 PM
Apparently it's fairly common for people who hold joint MDs and JDs to tell attorneys that they're lawyers when they are not admitted to the bar. Not a wise move to make that claim when you're an adverse witness, as it'll impeach your credibility pretty quickly.

Chuck Bao
12/11/2009, 04:47 PM
I thought the guy quoted in Juan's article had a good point at first but he kind of went crazy after that, in my opinion. Calling a Christmas tree a "Holiday tree" seems pretty silly to me.

But, that dude is probably wrong about one thing. I am just guessing here but I would think that the vast majority of Christmas (Happy Holiday) cards end up in the trash or paper recycling bin anyway.

I now understand better why some people are angry. The Christian holiday is being subverted, watered and weakened.

On the flip side, many Americans have already subverted, watered and weakened it plenty themselves through Santa Claus and other non-Christian orginated holiday customs, including the Christmas tree.

Oh I know that some of us are a little more religious than others, but that was all still part of our celebration of Christmas when we were kids. I understand, but to tell people they can't celebrate it because they aren't Christian and want to change the names of what they call it just seems equally silly to me.

You can still celebrate it anyway you want. You don't have to wish everyone "Happy Holidays" if you don't want.

Christmas is a public holiday and that is our Judeo-Christian hertitage as others have pointed out. Just have a bit of Christmas cheer and charity in wishing someone a happy holiday if someone isn't Christian. Or, you can be bitter about PC run amok.

I know this doesn't and shouldn't apply to the US, but Singapore is a good example of how a very diverse culture of four religions - Christian, Buddhist, Muslim and Hindu - can co-exist and everyone gets their day and celebrate it as they wish. Singapore gives each of the four religions two public holidays each. My point is that there is less pressure to co-opt one holiday to fit the many, as it appears to be happening in the US.

yermom
12/11/2009, 04:49 PM
who sends a Happy Holidays card to someone they know?

Chuck Bao
12/11/2009, 05:07 PM

Personally, none at all. I don't send cards.

But my department sends out more than a thousand each year and I need to sign each one. I can't say how much I hate it because after the first few hundred my signature just turns into a squiggley line. All of them say Happy Holidays and all of them are on recycled paper and some grade school kids' drawings that have nothing to do with Christmas. I'm okay with that since the vast majority of reciepients are not Christian.

yermom
12/11/2009, 05:33 PM
right, a "department" not a person

Oldnslo
12/11/2009, 05:41 PM
Actually, I think you're confused. Or just misinformed. Yours is a ridiculously shortsighted depiction of Messianic Judaists. They're not trying to be Jewish and Christian at the same time; rather, they practice Christianity just as the original Christians did. Before the Roman Catholic bastardization of Christianity, all Christians were Messianic Jews. They did Hannaukah, Passover, etc. but they accepted Jesus as their savior and as the son of God.

How very benevolent of you!

Okay, Genny McGeneralization.

I know many Messianic Judaists and just like other flavors of Christianity, they're not a perfect lot. At least they're trying to be genuine. I am not a very religious person but if I wanted to do Christianity right, I would research this **** like mad... and I have to tell you, no sect can really lay claim to being "authentic Christians" besides Messianic Judaists.

Tell me again what happened to these "original" Christians? Were they welcome to practice Judaism or did they need to find someplace else to worship? My "ridiculously shortsighted" description is at the heart of the issue. Check out your own sentence: I know many Messianic Judaists and just like other flavors of Christianity, they're not a perfect lot.

You're admitting that "Messianic Jews" are Christians. If they're Christians, they're not Jews. The two circles of the Venn Diagram don't intersect.

Feel free to research. Messianic Christians are McGenerally misinformed about what Judaism is.

Happy Holidays!

Partial Qualifier
12/11/2009, 05:49 PM
What the hell difference does any of that.....Oh, I get it! Formalities!

"Jackhammers: they ain't Jacks! And they're not really hammers! They're nothing!"

"Webpages! They ain't webs! And they're not really pages either!! They ain't nuthin! It's sad!"

I had no idea everything was so dang-goned simple. :D

yermom
12/11/2009, 07:36 PM
do they at least get the big noses?

sooneron
12/11/2009, 09:57 PM

I do. We have a ****load of cards to send out - at least 50- 70. WTF am I going to do? Buy 28 Christmas cards and another 27 Happy Holidays of Channukah cards?

Wish people a good time this Winter by saying Happy Holidays and be done with it. If I see people at All Saints Episcopal Church in the next few weeks, I'll say Merry Christmas.

stupid question.

CrimsonJim
12/12/2009, 12:17 AM
There is nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays" if that's your thing. If however, you are doing it just because you don't like hearing/seeing "Merry Christmas", or if you are so pc that you are afraid you'll offend somebody, you simply need to grow a set.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2009, 12:53 AM
I'm glad I never offend any stupid goddamned mother****er **** rags.

the_ouskull
12/12/2009, 01:26 AM
I'm glad I never offend any stupid goddamned mother****er **** rags.

Me too. I can't imagine what the world would be like if I were to offend someone...

the_ouskull

SanJoaquinSooner
12/12/2009, 01:42 AM
Happy first night of Hanukkah.

btk108
12/12/2009, 02:22 AM
Merry Freakin Christmas....geez ppl..get with the program

yermom
12/12/2009, 03:21 AM
I do. We have a ****load of cards to send out - at least 50- 70. WTF am I going to do? Buy 28 Christmas cards and another 27 Happy Holidays of Channukah cards?

Wish people a good time this Winter by saying Happy Holidays and be done with it. If I see people at All Saints Episcopal Church in the next few weeks, I'll say Merry Christmas.

stupid question.

how special they must each feel :D

royalfan5
12/12/2009, 07:46 AM
Personally, I feel that Seasons Greetings is the only non-offensive salutation this time a year.

olevetonahill
12/12/2009, 09:13 AM
Personally, I say do what the **** makes YOU happy and tell everyone else to **** off dip ****s.

Jboozer
12/12/2009, 12:46 PM
Why would someone take offense at merry christmas. I wouldn't find it offensive if someone told me happy... whatever! Its not a religious attack but exactly the opposite. Almost every religion has some kind of special time now, who cares how it is recognized!

BTW....There is a merry christmas parade in norman right now! Some people dressed up as armadillos??

Scott D
12/12/2009, 02:58 PM
I still say everyone should just say

No.

Soonrboy
12/12/2009, 09:38 PM
Doesn't holiday come from Holy Day?

CrimsonJim
12/12/2009, 11:33 PM
Yes.

JohnnyMack
12/13/2009, 12:14 AM
Happy Solstice.

sooneron
12/13/2009, 09:19 PM
how special they must each feel :D

Well, yes, the ones that we write some sort of inscription in, yes, they feel special. :confused:

Someday, when you have a wife with a ****load of friends and your buds are all growed up and married, you'll possibly send each other cards because that is what your wife tells you that you are going to do. I realize that it's easy to say "OMG, how lame!" when you're all uppity up in swinglehood... but maybe someday you'll understand.

VeeJay
12/14/2009, 10:02 PM
Alls I knows is that Adam Sandler is the most annoying sumbitch to ever come down the pike.

TopDawg
12/16/2009, 12:12 PM
Any of y'all see Community last week when the dean of the college dresses up as Father Winter and rides into the cafeteria on his sleigh pulled by "Human" (the mascot of the school) shouting "MERRY HAPPY!!!"

Good stuff.

setem
12/16/2009, 12:18 PM
The deer in my avatar are having a merry old time indeed!

Fraggle145
12/16/2009, 01:00 PM
This thread makes me want to rub one out.

Hella Sideburns
12/23/2009, 12:55 PM
the christmas/holidays debate is nothing but a vehicle for *****-*** christians to have something to be offended about.

Collier11
12/23/2009, 01:21 PM
Actually I think it is more about the non Christians who are all offended by people saying Merry Christmas, which by the way is a federally protected holiday.

Hella Sideburns
12/23/2009, 01:25 PM
no one cares if you say merry christmas, other than idiots that you shouldn't care about anyway.

it's just another "they're persecuting christians!!!!!!" freakout by people who have to feel martyred. It's shameful.

Collier11
12/23/2009, 01:34 PM
Actually you can now be fired from your job for saying Merry Christmas even though it is a federally protected holiday, so you tell me who is under attack here.

Personally if someone tells me Happy Holidays I am fine with that but if I tell someone Merry Christmas they should be fine with it as well, especially considering that most Americans, Christian or not celebrate Christmas. If I said that and the person happened to be Jewish I have no problem changing my statement to Happy Hanukkah

Hella Sideburns
12/23/2009, 01:38 PM
Actually you can now be fired from your job for saying Merry Christmas even though it is a federally protected holiday, so you tell me who is under attack here.

Personally if someone tells me Happy Holidays I am fine with that but if I tell someone Merry Christmas they should be fine with it as well, especially considering that most Americans, Christian or not celebrate Christmas. If I said that and the person happened to be Jewish I have no problem changing my statement to Happy Hanukkah

I think we're in agreement here, then, really.

Though I don't buy the "you can be fired from your job" bit

Collier11
12/23/2009, 01:44 PM
Well I have witnessed it, it happens

Dio
12/23/2009, 01:44 PM
BTW....There is a merry christmas parade in norman right now! Some people dressed up as armadillos??

They're from the Oklahoma Nutcracker- the Norman Ballet Co. does it every December in the Sooner Theater. My 12 y.o. has been in it the last 5-6 years.

SouthFortySooner
12/23/2009, 01:52 PM
I think every nativity scene should include Santa.

Fraggle145
12/23/2009, 02:52 PM
This thread makes me want to rub one out.

Awesome, round two.

Pricetag
12/23/2009, 05:18 PM
It's the "Holiday Armadillo" from "Friends."

Ross must have been one P.C. S.O.B. not to dub it the "Hannukah Armadillo."