PDA

View Full Version : Stoops says open competition at QB for next year.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 09:52 AM
If anyone has the time here is an interview Stoops had with WWLS. Lots of good stuff about maybe revisiting the schedule strength, open competition, and other things.

http://podcatchers.fia.net/6779/4082429.mp3?sid=23316&lid=6779&id=1611382&source=3

Oh, check out this Blake Bell senior highlight vid, and try to contain your excitement.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJRH3tnuWY

StoopTroup
12/4/2009, 09:55 AM
Truthfully...

It's that way every year except when your last years QB got the Heisman.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 09:58 AM
I always thought that Stoops gave the position to the previous starting QB.

Collier11
12/4/2009, 10:02 AM
Its been like that every single yr other than Heupel in yr 2, and SB and JW following their heismans

OUmillenium
12/4/2009, 10:03 AM
PEARL HARBOR BOMBED BY JAPANESE!

SoonerinSouthlake
12/4/2009, 10:09 AM
Well if its like previous years...He'll call it an open competition...Give the job to Landry..then if Landry doesnt show something pretty quick...He will give the job to whoever was outplaying him in practice

StoopTroup
12/4/2009, 10:13 AM
If your going to beat out Landry next year....you better be connecting on some bombs down field is my guess and the sideline throws better be near perfect.

OKLA21FAN
12/4/2009, 10:15 AM
PEARL HARBOR BOMBED BY JAPANESE!

not the Germans? :pop:

StoopTroup
12/4/2009, 10:17 AM
Don't tell Hitler....he'll be pissed.

RedstickSooner
12/4/2009, 10:21 AM
Don't tell Hitler....he'll be pissed.

I know, right?

Partial Qualifier
12/4/2009, 10:30 AM
Oh, check out this Blake Bell senior highlight vid, and try to contain your excitement.:D

Wow this kid looks like a badass! http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

although some of those defenses were doing their best Three Stooges impersonation

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 10:38 AM
Its been like that every single yr other than Heupel in yr 2, and SB and JW following their heismans

Not true. Bomar had the job wrapped up before the incident. It's not as obvious as everyone is making it, because the guys he will be battling have never taken a snap.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 10:41 AM
Wow this kid looks like a badass! http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

although some of those defenses were doing their best Three Stooges impersonation

He looks alot better this year than he did in his jr highlight vids. I think they say he moved from wr to qb last year. Just think how good he will look with winter conditioning and spring camp under his belt. The guy is still raw.

KantoSooner
12/4/2009, 10:42 AM
What's the feeling about whether he'll be a legitimate threat as a RB? I know he's a threat to run at QB, but if he's good enough to run with the RB's, it would give us an option to have, in essence, two QB's in the backfield which would make the bubble screen a real biotch to defense.

Collier11
12/4/2009, 10:57 AM
Not true. Bomar had the job wrapped up before the incident. It's not as obvious as everyone is making it, because the guys he will be battling have never taken a snap.

I dont know that that is true, from everything I ever heard it was a heated battle the entire time just like the previous yr

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 11:00 AM
I dont know that that is true, from everything I ever heard it was a heated battle the entire time just like the previous yr

I remember him and ENA going at it in 2005, but going into 2006 he was the undisputed starter. I may be wrong, but who was he battling with before being dismissed?

yermom
12/4/2009, 11:33 AM
yeah, i don't think Thompson was even supposed to be a backup in 2006, was he?

the QB battles i remember were:

2001 JW vs NH, with NH winning out due to more experience in games.

2002 was all JW

2003 was all JW, as 2004 (Thompson was kinda thought to be coming in at this point)

2005 Bomar must have been tearing it up in practice, because Thompson got yanked quick, but it seems like it was his to start

2006 Thompson changes positions after "The Idiot". Tommy Grady probably craps himself in Utah

2007 battle between Halzle, Bradford and Nicol. i guess we all know how that turned out...

with Nicol crapping himself in September

rawlingsHOH
12/4/2009, 11:39 AM
Truthfully...

Yep.

yermom
12/4/2009, 11:42 AM
"would eventually win the Heisman" would be closer ;)

rawlingsHOH
12/4/2009, 12:08 PM
"would eventually win the Heisman" would be closer ;)
The job was certainly open in 2003.

yermom
12/4/2009, 12:33 PM
that's not how i remember it.

it seemed like it was his to lose, but now that i think about it there was a lot of talk about Thompson and Allen. but it seems like it was more about whether or not he'd stay healthy and who would end the season...

what ever happened to Noah Allen?

rawlingsHOH
12/4/2009, 12:40 PM
that's not how i remember it.

it seemed like it was his to lose, but now that i think about it there was a lot of talk about Thompson and Allen. but it seems like it was more about whether or not he'd stay healthy and who would end the season...

Remember, Rawls was actually in the mix then too.

White was the favorite, but it was most definitely wide open. Lots of questions about the health.

Noah transferred to Rhett Bomar State, back in Texas. Don't think he ever did a whole lot there.

yermom
12/4/2009, 01:01 PM
yeah, i couldn't remember when Rawls dropped out of the picture/truck

oh yeah, he was injured so we ended up burning Thompson's shirt in 2003 so he could be the backup

i remember him tearing it up in the Spring Game one of those years

boomermagic
12/4/2009, 03:36 PM
I always thought that Stoops gave the position to the previous starting QB.

He does !

rawlingsHOH
12/4/2009, 04:00 PM
He does !
Nate Hybl disagrees.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 05:47 PM
Nate Hybl disagrees.

Landry Jones reminds me of Nate Hybl...coincidence?

yermom
12/4/2009, 05:55 PM
Hybl wasn't on the field at the end of 2001 because of his performance though

much like Laundry... the difference is, we don't have the former starter coming back

i'd be pretty surprised if Landry wasn't the starter to open 2010

Hybl came in a tossed INTs like every time he came in during the 2000 season didn't he? :D

by 2001 he wasn't throwing picks, just taking sacks

if Landry plays like 2001 or 2002 Hybl i think we might have beaten Texas and Nebraska this year. Tech and Miami, i'm not so sure

cvsooner
12/4/2009, 06:13 PM
Offensive line problems, poor receiver play, inadequate field goal kicking and badly-timed turnovers were the reason(s) for the losses at Texas and Miami and BYU. Nebraska was partly Landry, but those same problems contributed, forcing us to pass more than we wanted.

Tech...is more of a defensive problem. Offense wasn't great but they did move the ball...just no points. Meanwhile defense couldn't stop Tech after the first 20 minutes.

Defense had slip ups against BYU and Miami, but if the offense had been able to really move the ball, defense wouldn't have needed to be on the field.

yermom
12/4/2009, 06:33 PM
i said "might" :D

but i think Landry made some really questionable throws against Texas that didn't even seem to be that forced.

i think that an offseason with Heupel coaching him as a starter probably makes a lot of difference.

swardboy
12/4/2009, 06:51 PM
Wow! Rev. Tebow with an arm!

The big guy has serious wheels.....

okcusooner
12/4/2009, 07:04 PM
If anyone has the time here is an interview Stoops had with WWLS. Lots of good stuff about maybe revisiting the schedule strength, open competition, and other things.

http://podcatchers.fia.net/6779/4082429.mp3?sid=23316&lid=6779&id=1611382&source=3

Hate to say it, but brilliant highschool highlights mean next to nothing when projecting how well a recruit will do at the college level.

Nearly all highly rated qb recruits have dazzling video. Landry Jones' video was jaw-dropping. But Jones has done nothing as spectacular at OU as you'll see on his youtube videos. That being said, he still has time to blossom.

But many of these guys are so incredibly talented compared to the competition they play in high school. Then they get to college and the circus moves don't work anymore because now everyone is significantly bigger, stronger, and faster than high school.

King Crimson
12/4/2009, 07:07 PM

Noah Allen was one of the dudes that Longhorn Bob Wheeler was convinced was the second coming. Allen and Jarod Estus.

i kinda miss that LHB site.

cvsooner
12/4/2009, 07:17 PM
Two biggest problems I see with Landry: lack of touch on certain of his throws and an apparent inability (maybe still adjusting to speed of the game) to lead the receiver properly.

The zip on his passes is no doubt due to high school coaching, where many teach the QB to throw it HARD to make it more difficult to intercept. Your receivers, in theory, are more prepared to catch it knowing how hard it's coming to 'em.

But some of Landry's throws didn't need all that zip on them. I don't know if I've ever seen a college QB with more interceptions off tipped balls.

That said, he'd have had more completions with a better receiver corps. Funny how Broyles caught almost everything, but everyone else...not so much.

TUSooner
12/4/2009, 07:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJRH3tnuWY I have no favorite, but that vid is very nice, especially the last minute or so when he's w/ Barry & Bob. :D

On film, the guy looks.... large.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 07:27 PM
Hate to say it, but brilliant highschool highlights mean next to nothing when projecting how well a recruit will do at the college level.

Nearly all highly rated qb recruits have dazzling video. Landry Jones' video was jaw-dropping. But Jones has done nothing as spectacular at OU as you'll see on his youtube videos. That being said, he still has time to blossom.

But many of these guys are so incredibly talented compared to the competition they play in high school. Then they get to college and the circus moves don't work anymore because now everyone is significantly bigger, stronger, and faster than high school.

Landry Jones' video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNGkT0JpwI&feature=related

okcusooner
12/4/2009, 07:34 PM
Landry Jones' video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNGkT0JpwI&feature=related

This is actually the link I was thinking of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeWat53qJU&feature=related

yankee
12/4/2009, 10:11 PM
he looks very impressive.....playing at the kansas private school level. he could be a special one, but he's got a TON of work to do. hope this video quells any doubts about him competing with landry next fall for the starting job. he's not going to be able to get away with a lot that he did at the HS level. as for dual threat, those linebackers, defensive backs, and defensive linemen are going to be much, much faster in college. there's a reason rivals has him listed as pro-style QB. at the college game, he'll be the guy that can buy himself some more time with his mobility, but i hope that no one expects the next vince young or pat white here. also need to factor in the bulking up that will happen during the 1-3 years he sits. don't mean to be a downer, because i think this guy can really turn into a great QB and i'm excited, but i'm not going to be unrealistic either. he's still very raw, but he'll be working with some great coaches.

PLaw
12/4/2009, 10:20 PM
Truthfully...

Spot On - ST. Competition at every position on the depth chart. That's what makes OKLAHOMA great - there isn't any entitlement.

BOOMER

OU-HSV
12/4/2009, 11:10 PM
Dude can play. If he's capable of picking up on our system quickly I say heck ya you have to have an open competition. Especially seeing his mobility. I know the college speed is different than high school speed...but the speed he's shown in all the highlight vids I've seen of his looks like that speed will come in very handy for him at OU. Esp if our O-Line doesn't make great improvement.

Scott D
12/4/2009, 11:11 PM

I'll take another Rose Bowl championship...no problem at all here.

AzianSooner
12/4/2009, 11:14 PM
It is good for the open competition. Mr. Moutache's been playing s.ck lately.

adoniijahsooner
12/5/2009, 08:40 AM
This is actually the link I was thinking of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeWat53qJU&feature=related

Landry doesnt look nearly as athletic as Blake Bell in that video. You guys wanna talk Kansas talent, but I can name numerous high school all-americans that are playing at big name schools, including Brody, Jayden Bird, and Patty Ohara. Heck in the playoffs he had to go up against Hutchinson, which is a powerhouse in kansas.

During the spring and fall, Landry was on the verge of being the 3rd string qb. Do you remember why? Well let me tell you. Stoops said he has to learn to take care of the ball better. It would be more beneficial and a great sign if Landry is the starter in the fall, because that means he has progressed and made himself a better QB.

On the topic of Blake Bell not being able to do in college what he did in highschool. That is a foolish argument, because he will get stronger and faster just like the other college athletes. I wonder if people watched Barry Sanders and said, "He is only doing against Kansas high schools."

VA Sooner
12/5/2009, 08:57 AM
Make them all compete... knowing the pressure coming up in the spring, we'll see who emerges. I do like what I see in the Bell video... adds a new dimension to our QB ranks. Hopefully not a QB controversy, although Stoops has never let it come to that.

OU-HSV
12/5/2009, 09:29 AM
Landry doesnt look nearly as athletic as Blake Bell in that video. You guys wanna talk Kansas talent, but I can name numerous high school all-americans that are playing at big name schools, including Brody, Jayden Bird, and Patty Ohara. Heck in the playoffs he had to go up against Hutchinson, which is a powerhouse in kansas.

During the spring and fall, Landry was on the verge of being the 3rd string qb. Do you remember why? Well let me tell you. Stoops said he has to learn to take care of the ball better. It would be more beneficial and a great sign if Landry is the starter in the fall, because that means he has progressed and made himself a better QB.

On the topic of Blake Bell not being able to do in college what he did in highschool. That is a foolish argument, because he will get stronger and faster just like the other college athletes. I wonder if people watched Barry Sanders and said, "He is only doing against Kansas high schools."
I understand what you're saying.
But just fyi in regards to Paddy O'Hara...he never played football until this year (at least that's what all the stories in the news said that came out about him after he started kicking a few games ago.)

IronHorseSooner
12/5/2009, 09:31 AM
I agree, competition everywhere! This year proved that we cannot have a gerontocracy. Just because you are the seasoned vet doesn't necessarily mean that you are the best.

Okie35
12/5/2009, 09:48 AM
Truthfully...

This...

rawlingsHOH
12/5/2009, 04:42 PM
if Landry plays like 2001 or 2002 Hybl i think we might have beaten Texas and Nebraska this year. Tech and Miami, i'm not so sure
Hybl was awful against Texas. We won dispite his play in the UT games.

Freshman Landry was CONSIDERABLY better than Junior Hybl and almost as good as Senior Hybl. And Senior Hybl was surrounded by a pretty salty cast of characters.

I agree, but at an earlier stage in his career!

yankee
12/5/2009, 05:56 PM

you can teach speed? since when? when blake bulks up, he's going to get slower. with all the bitching around here about the coaches "bulking up" our players too much and making them slower, i HAVE to think that's going to be the case with blake. and apples to oranges with bell and sanders...bit of a difference with what you can get away with at the college and hs level.