PDA

View Full Version : Mangino gone

SCxxSOONER
12/3/2009, 07:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4711389

GKeeper316
12/3/2009, 07:27 PM
man i guess i gotta stop callin em the fightin manginos now.

that makes me a sad panda.

ouduckhunter
12/3/2009, 07:30 PM
OMG! I honestly did not see this happening, or at least not happening this soon!

I guess Kansas wanted to get their new coach search started while the pickins are still good.

Petro-Sooner
12/3/2009, 07:30 PM
Too bad.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2009, 07:31 PM
There's got to be a fat joke in there somewhere.

How about "Mangino to ND where Wies left some big pants to fill."

StoopTroup
12/3/2009, 07:31 PM
KU's loss IMO.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 07:35 PM
How terribly sad.

Oh ho!! :D

Funky G
12/3/2009, 07:52 PM
BRING HIM BACK TO NORMAN. NOW.

badger
12/3/2009, 07:57 PM
Retire, Mark. You're too good for a game that includes crappy Kansas.

unbiasedtruth
12/3/2009, 08:04 PM
would Stoops hire MM back as OU's OC and demote or fire KW?

thesnowbishop
12/3/2009, 08:08 PM
Kansas: football is not for you.

OU-HSV
12/3/2009, 08:08 PM

Nope he wouldn't

Scott D
12/3/2009, 08:12 PM
I give Bill Self 18 months at most.

StoopTroup
12/3/2009, 08:26 PM
The positive is....we don't have to worry when we play KU for a long time....at least until Mangino is the AD there.

soonerboy
12/3/2009, 08:44 PM
Did you hear the end of the report from joe shad? he said the possibilites are the UCONN coach, brent venables, and kevin sumlin.

VA Sooner
12/3/2009, 08:51 PM
Would create more havoc in the Big 12, wouldn't it?

Veritas
12/3/2009, 08:54 PM
Hopefully this means we won't have to see his or Weis' repulsive forms on our TVs next year.

ndpruitt03
12/3/2009, 09:00 PM
ESPN's Joe Schad first reported the story on Thursday night.

Now we may see that Mangino gets a raise tomorrow morning.

My Opinion Matters
12/3/2009, 09:09 PM
It never fails to impress me how short and selective the collective memory of our fanbase is. If the current discontent surrounding Kevin Wilson is deafening, the discontent towards Mangino was eardrum-shattering. There could have been a parade here the day he was hired away by KU.

soonerinabilene
12/3/2009, 09:10 PM

god i hope not. remember the 01 offense?

My Opinion Matters
12/3/2009, 09:11 PM

d00d, that was like so 8 years ago!

ndpruitt03
12/3/2009, 09:12 PM

The 01 offensive line had 1 or 2 good players and a bunch of freshman. I would still take that line over this one

HBick
12/3/2009, 09:19 PM
And Kansas can return to being irrelevant like they were for the first 100 years of their existence.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/3/2009, 09:26 PM
Well, Perkins got his man...I am thinking this is Nebbish all over again. Perkins will destroy this school putting his [****]mark all over it. I wish Mangino well and know he got screwed. I wish for KU to fall into cellar dwelling obscurity forever.

sooner ngintunr
12/3/2009, 09:32 PM
KU's loss IMO.

For sure. IMO.

tulsaoilerfan
12/3/2009, 09:50 PM

NO

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 09:54 PM
You meant, "No, IMO."

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2009, 12:24 AM

Did you forget the smiley? :confused:

Soonerman08
12/4/2009, 12:54 AM

As I recall he didn't cost us the National Championship, unlike Kevin Wilson.

12/4/2009, 12:55 AM
Sumlin would be a quality hire.

goingoneight
12/4/2009, 01:34 AM

Kevin Wilson scored 14 in the MNC. Mangino scored 13.

Apples... Oranges.

Leroy Lizard
12/4/2009, 03:07 AM

Wilson got us there.

snp
12/4/2009, 03:56 AM

As if we really need more problems with offensive line attrition.

sendbaht
12/4/2009, 04:04 AM
sad really, but I guess crap happens. He recieved the wrong end
of the stick.

SoonerDood
12/4/2009, 05:23 AM
It never fails to impress me how short and selective the collective memory of our fanbase is. If the current discontent surrounding Kevin Wilson is deafening, the discontent towards Mangino was eardrum-shattering. There could have been a parade here the day he was hired away by KU.

THIS

TUSooner
12/4/2009, 07:43 AM
After careful consideration, we have decided that we're just not interested in having a decent football program.

:rolleyes:

King Barry's Back
12/4/2009, 08:15 AM

No.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 08:22 AM
Kevin Wilson scored 14 in the MNC. Mangino scored 13.

Apples... Oranges.

Well, at the beginning of the year Kevin Wilson said it wasnt about scoring more, it was about being able to score in crucial situations to win the game. By his own formula Mangino is the better coordinator.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2009, 08:25 AM
Wilson got us there.

Mangino has a ring.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/4/2009, 10:35 AM
Did you hear the end of the report from joe shad? he said the possibilites are the UCONN coach, brent venables, and kevin sumlin.

I doubt Brent or Kevin would go into that cesspool. Kevin is a rising star and doesn't need KU. Kevin has a good thing at Houston and a year or two more, he will probably go big time. KU ain't big time.

OUDoc
12/4/2009, 10:40 AM
Careful with the assumptions. Some dumas from The Bleacher Report will post it as fact.

NormanPride
12/4/2009, 11:12 AM
After the way they treated Mark, there's no way Venables or Sumlin go there. Stoops looks out for his homeboys. Also, Houston -> Kansas is a lateral move at best.

And Scott, I've heard that the AD doesn't like Self because he didn't hire him. Do you really think he'll be THAT stupid?

boomermagic
12/4/2009, 11:36 AM
KU's loss IMO.

I agree !

badger
12/4/2009, 11:38 AM
I wonder what the new coach will be allowed to do...
http://i47.tinypic.com/2igk5eo.jpg

budbarrybob
12/4/2009, 11:47 AM
Mangino wins 3 bowl games while he was there matching the previous 101 yrs. Strong work AD... :confused:

ndpruitt03
12/4/2009, 12:09 PM
Mangino had 2 losses in his career as an OC at OU. Kevin Wilson has only had less than 3 losses once in a season since he took over as OC.

badger
12/4/2009, 12:09 PM
I don't see any current or former OU assistants going to KU after the way they treated Fightin' Mangina.

I expect the program to be cursed for two reasons:

1- They fired a coach who was two wins shy of being the all-time winningest.
2- They named their football field after the disgraced SemGroup guy.

Seriously, so long as Jayhawks have to play on "Kivisto Field," they are going to be awful. Eff you Perkins. Eff you to heck.

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2009, 03:49 PM
There's always 2 sides to every story and I seriously doubt we'll ever know the complete version of either side. If I were considering hiring Mark, I would make sure I got all the facts. This wasn't about the losing streak.

yankee
12/4/2009, 04:52 PM
I doubt Brent or Kevin would go into that cesspool. Kevin is a rising star and doesn't need KU. Kevin has a good thing at Houston and a year or two more, he will probably go big time. KU ain't big time.

there's a reason people from texas call U of H, cougar high. kansas would be a big step up. much better facilities, bigger and better fanbase, higher pay, more tv exposure. all this would turn into better recruiting for KU. but i do agree, i don't think sumlin will take the KU job though.

RedstickSooner
12/4/2009, 05:11 PM

Bwahahahahaha!

Er, wait -- you *are* kidding, right?

RedstickSooner
12/4/2009, 05:17 PM
Mangino had 2 losses in his career as an OC at OU. Kevin Wilson has only had less than 3 losses once in a season since he took over as OC.

Your logic is flawless.

'Course, I *could* point out this little nugget:

WE HAVE NEVER LOST A GAME DURING A BYE WEEK! EVER! NOT ONE!

But if I did, I'd be a dick.

Seriously -- Mangino had about as much to do with those wins as I did. He coached one good offense -- in 2000 -- and *that* offense wasn't his. It was Leach's, and it was called at the line by Heupel, one of the best on-the-field playcallers we've ever had. Maybe the best. (Which is why I wouldn't mind scrapping everything and just putting Josh in at OC, even if he hasn't paid his dues. Might be fun to see how he'd run it.)

ndpruitt03
12/4/2009, 06:01 PM
Your logic is flawless.

'Course, I *could* point out this little nugget:

WE HAVE NEVER LOST A GAME DURING A BYE WEEK! EVER! NOT ONE!

But if I did, I'd be a dick.

Seriously -- Mangino had about as much to do with those wins as I did. He coached one good offense -- in 2000 -- and *that* offense wasn't his. It was Leach's, and it was called at the line by Heupel, one of the best on-the-field playcallers we've ever had. Maybe the best. (Which is why I wouldn't mind scrapping everything and just putting Josh in at OC, even if he hasn't paid his dues. Might be fun to see how he'd run it.)

Josh Heupel didn't call 2 option plays against KSU out of nowhere. Mangino never had near as much talent as Kevin Wilson has had. Even if you count this years team.

Scott D
12/4/2009, 06:26 PM
After the way they treated Mark, there's no way Venables or Sumlin go there. Stoops looks out for his homeboys. Also, Houston -> Kansas is a lateral move at best.

And Scott, I've heard that the AD doesn't like Self because he didn't hire him. Do you really think he'll be THAT stupid?

Tis the same reason he didn't like Mangino. And no, I wouldn't be surprised if he either uses this situation as a warning to Self, or decides to go ahead and pursue this same method on Self.

Right now the job is Edsel's to lose...I have a feeling he'll turn it down though.

ndpruitt03
12/4/2009, 06:42 PM
Tis the same reason he didn't like Mangino. And no, I wouldn't be surprised if he either uses this situation as a warning to Self, or decides to go ahead and pursue this same method on Self.

Right now the job is Edsel's to lose...I have a feeling he'll turn it down though.

I think he can possibly win the Big East in the future. He'll have trouble winning the Big 12 North at Kansas.

badger
12/4/2009, 06:48 PM

Well, if he fired a coach that just won an Orange Bowl, then a coach that just won a national title can't feel too secure.

I know I've seen Self raise his voice from courtside a few occasions. :rolleyes:

royalfan5
12/5/2009, 08:29 AM
Well, if he fired a coach that just won an Orange Bowl, then a coach that just won a national title can't feel too secure.

I know I've seen Self raise his voice from courtside a few occasions. :rolleyes:

Of course, he also fires a coach that lost seven games in a row this year with the best QB, and WR in the programs history. Do you think Stoops could lose 7 games in a row and still keep his job? Going to bowls in this day and age is not a real accomplishment. You can schedule 4 wins every season, and win two games at home and you are in a bowl. Mangino's record in conference play was 23-41 with only one winning season. If you can't do better than in the North, do you really deserve to keep running a program?

Scott D
12/5/2009, 09:23 AM
Of course, he also fires a coach that lost seven games in a row this year with the best QB, and WR in the programs history. Do you think Stoops could lose 7 games in a row and still keep his job? Going to bowls in this day and age is not a real accomplishment. You can schedule 4 wins every season, and win two games at home and you are in a bowl. Mangino's record in conference play was 23-41 with only one winning season. If you can't do better than in the North, do you really deserve to keep running a program?

I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about Kansas, not a program, not a program, not a program, but we're talking about Kansas. Not the program that I go out there and watch every game like it's my last but we're talking about Kansas man. How silly is that?

IronHorseSooner
12/5/2009, 09:40 AM
I remember people calling for Mangino's head after the loss to OSU in 2001. I remember people talking about Stoops doing the "Mangino, in my office, NOW!," after the game.

Salt City Sooner
12/5/2009, 08:12 PM
Turner Gill's interviewing tomorrow, per ABC & NBC local stations up here.

mightysooner
12/5/2009, 10:54 PM
Why would they interview Turner Gill? He's done nothing with Buffalo.

Piware
12/6/2009, 02:37 AM
The deck was stacked against Mangino from the day this news broke. Reminds me of what happened to Houston Nutt by the Mommy Squad whose brilliant little spawns have seen very little playing time at USuC.

Maybe Turner Gill can recruit some thug homeboys and KU can see how much fun it is to deal with it. Hope KU goes back to their hole and doesn't win another game in this century.

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2009, 02:42 AM
I hope whoever they bring in has discipline problems on and off the field. Would be nice to hear some talking heads next year saying that the players need a strong and controlling coach to guide them.

OUstud
12/6/2009, 02:49 AM
Why would they interview Turner Gill? He's done nothing with Buffalo.

Seriously? He won the MAC with them. Look up what UB was before he got there...

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 02:59 AM
I know I gave Mark a good deal of business when he was Coaching against us...

That's all behind me unless K-State hires him.

Good Luck to Mark wherever he gets his next head-job. :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2009, 03:01 AM
lol...I pity the bitch that has to wedge her head under his gut for that!

btk108
12/6/2009, 03:17 AM
kansas...welcome to the bottom of the Big 12 north....dumbasses

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2009, 03:33 AM
If Mangino did anything that would warrant his dismissal, it shouldn't matter what his record is. Winning shouldn't give one a license to abuse people, if that is indeed what took place.

Winning is important, but we also need to keep it in perspective.

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2009, 03:41 AM
Yeah, but his current players and a lot of former players say he's great. A few whiny pansies that can't handle being disciplined or yelled at needed to STFU and take up solitaire.

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2009, 04:37 AM
But there may be more to it than that. Remember, he is the coach that totally unloaded on a parking attendant. If anything, he should have been severely reprimanded for that action and forced to apologize. What else has taken place that we don't know about?

gaylordfan1
12/6/2009, 05:46 AM
Well, he did eat that parking attendant.........There must have been wittnesses...... or else the story would have went unheard of!

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2009, 06:50 AM
No witnesses, but you could clearly make out the shape of the lump in his gut. In Mangino's defense though the attendant was wearing a shirt made of bacon and told him to "Eat me".

StoopTroup
12/6/2009, 09:55 AM
You are making if very hard for me to be a reformed Mangino Smack Talker Crux.....lol