PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Willie?

NormanPride
12/3/2009, 12:12 PM
So, he's had some really bad games, last night included. If he plays well, we win that game in the first 10 minutes, and the final score by more than 30.

Any insight into why he's turning the ball over, missing shots, not taking shots, unable to drive, and missing free throws? He looked like our 4th best player last night behind Tiny, Crock, and Cade. Tommy also could be considered as well.

To me, he looked like he was down on himself. That's something that we talked about last year, how he would get down after missing a few shots or get frustrated. We don't need that Willie. We need the Kansas Willie that says "screw the last shot, THIS one is going in, AND I'm getting a foul! THEN I'm going to steal the ball and drain a 3, because I'm Willie Warren."

Thoughts?

OUmillenium
12/3/2009, 12:16 PM
I'm wondering if he's partying too much or injured.

He has had no explosion and no vertical to speak of in any of the games I've watched.

He was totally unfocused on the FT line last night.

Would be nice for him to develop a jumpshot. It's 3 pointer or drive. No midrange.

badger
12/3/2009, 12:18 PM
I had just watched King of the Hill before OU basketball last night, so there was a lot of "Dang it, Willie/Bobby" moments with those free throws.

I think Rotnei was definitely trying to show WW up last night... Clarke seemed to try to juke around a little bit more when matched with WW... but then, Cade Davis swoooooooops in for the steal... or the lob to the otherside of the court... how is that a possession, again?!?!?! :confused:

yankee
12/5/2009, 02:15 AM
i have a feeling that he feels like he needs to replace blake. i think he's trying too hard to be a superstar. he kills too many drives with ill-advised shots or turnovers...i think he'll eventually just relax, and realize there's plenty of talent around him to win on a consistent basis, and the shots and flow of the game will become better.

starrca23
12/5/2009, 07:53 PM
1. He is only 20
2. A whole new lineup
3. Defenses know he is the one they need to stop
4. No Blake means fewer driving lanes
5. It's early in the season

Collier11
12/18/2009, 03:02 PM
I think this article kind of touches on alot of the issues or worries that this board has expressed, alot of what has been perceived (by me as well) as a bad attitude may just be Willie trying to figure out how to be a Leader...Good read!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091218_92_B1_Wliarn613134

Warren warming up to role as OU's leader
Sophomore guard is learning to be vocal during difficult times.

Willie Warren leads Oklahoma in scoring at 19.6 points per game. He also averages five assists. ALONZO ADAMS/AP
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
Published: 12/18/2009 2:21 AM
Last Modified: 12/18/2009 4:27 AM

NORMAN — The most promising thing about Oklahoma's step forward at Utah Saturday was that Willie Warren took it.

The Sooners' preseason All-American spent much of the game missing shots and getting knocked on his rear by Utah's trio of 7-footers. Both things happened at the end of regulation, in fact. It was discouraging stuff, and Warren hinted that it was getting to him when he came to the bench during an overtime timeout.

"He had just passed up a shot," OU coach Jeff Capel said, "and the first thing I said when I sat down was, 'You can't pass up shots. You're too good for us. You're too important for us.' "

Back on the floor 17 seconds later, Warren let fly with the most important shot of the Sooners' season. His 25-foot 3-pointer put OU ahead for good in a game that showed an inexperienced and undersized yet capable team what it takes to overcome adversity.

Warren did that, by hitting that shot and scoring 27 points despite a 1-of-10 first half. And by doing things away from the action.

"Leadership things," Capel called them. "It's how he was in huddles, things like that, that no one really sees, but a coach sees and the rest of the team sees. When you have the best player doing that ... then it makes the other guys do that."

It is a side of Warren that has slowly emerged since the Sooners' disastrous trip to Alaska during Thanksgiving week. They suffered back-to-back losses to complete a three-game losing streak and showed signs of coming apart on the bench.

Upon returning home, Warren declared he needed to do a better job of leading.

"I tried to talk a lot more in practice," he said. "We've been having better practices, and that's carried over to games."

He also had a heart-to-heart with assistant coach Oronde Taliaferro around the time OU hosted Arizona on Dec. 6.

"Helping me get my head on straight," Warren said. "He said I didn't have my swagger this year that I had last year."

Against the Wildcats, Warren high-stepped and chest-thumped his way to 17 first-half points as the Sooners locked up the game. But then confidence has always come easily to the gifted guard.

Leadership has provided a tougher challenge.

"He's still young. He's only a

sophomore," teammate Cade Davis said. "When things are going well, it

's easier to take on that role. When things are goin

g bad, it's harder. But he's learning it. He's understanding he needs to be more vocal when times are down, not just when things are going well.

"Over the four wins we've had here, he's done excellent, especially at the Utah game. Major props to him for kee

ping everyone together and being a leader, just stepping up and taking over the game."

Warren will likely be the Sooners' best player this season. What national player of the year contender doesn't top his team's bill?

He leads OU in scoring. He averages nearly 20 points currently, despite shooting just 44 percent from the field and 27 percent (11-of-41) from 3-point range.

Warren calls his overall play "decent, not up to my

standard, I don't think."

Imagine what he'll do once he finds his groove.

Still, it likely won't be Warren's rising numbers that dictate the direction of OU's season. It will be growth of a more personal nature, the kind the Sooners saw at Utah.

"I'm harder on myself than anybody else. Nobody sees that," Warren said. "That's why when I'm on the court I get quiet (when things aren't going well). I have to learn to get out of that. The Utah game was good for me."

It was great for the Sooners.

"Leadership is not just talk. It's body language. It's everything," Capel said. "And I see Willie taking steps to become a better leader. If he does that, our team becomes better."

badger
12/18/2009, 03:06 PM
Every player has an occasional funk or off-day. I'm just glad WW's came in meaningless Alaska Shootout games and not the tourneys.

NormanPride
12/18/2009, 03:26 PM
I was glad to see him suck it up and continue fighting against Utah. Hopefully that was a growing experience for him. We need him to be a team player and not get down on himself!

Collier11
12/18/2009, 03:30 PM
Yea, I am just glad to know that his apparent bad body language isnt him being a pouting superstar, just getting down on himself too hard

badger
12/20/2009, 09:42 AM
Ugh. Willie is this year's Crocker. Everyone wants to hate him because he screws up so damn much, but then he has a great game and redeems himself.

Except Willie's supposed to be the man, and the leader. This season is going to be painful, guys.

King Barry's Back
12/21/2009, 09:52 AM
For the second day in a row, the "ESPN Insider" headline is about OU: "Rumors: Capel and Warren at an Impasse"

Would appreciate a summary from any of you who are members, cuz believe me, I do not want to pay for Insiders when OU is NOT the headline story.

NormanPride
12/21/2009, 09:58 AM
Not much there:

After barely squeaking out a win over Big Sky fav, Northern Colorado, OU coach Jeff Capel expressed some frustration with the play of his star guard Willie Warren.

Warren took only 6 shots against Northern Colorado (making only 2) and after the game, Capel said, "I'm tired of trying to figure him out."

Warren had 5 turnovers and only 4 assists and that facet of his game concerns NBA GMs who feel that Warren looks for his shot too much rather than get his teammates involved.

Collier11
12/21/2009, 10:22 AM
What Capel is sick of is that he knows Willie is unstoppable when he drives to the basket yet Willie just simply doesnt do it some games, he is always frustrated that he keeps telling Willie to shoot more and Willie wont shoot more...weird deal

Boomer.....
12/21/2009, 10:36 AM
His stock is plummeting.

Ton Loc
12/21/2009, 10:42 AM
Damn - he is so hard to root for sometimes. He NEVER looks like he is enjoying the game unless he's going off.
Even when he is doing well I'm already afraid of what Willie is going to show up at the next game.

IronHorseSooner
12/21/2009, 11:13 AM
Right now, no joke, Crock is playing like a better NBA prospect than Willie. Crock's playing like a man possessed.

the_ouskull
12/21/2009, 11:18 AM
Hey, this is non-thread-related, but do you think Petraeus is going to make a run at President?

the_ouskull

badger
12/21/2009, 11:29 AM
Crock definitely has as much of an NBA shot as Taylor Griffin had last seasons... and based on the fact that Taylor is now with the Suns, even if he doesn't play much, that's definitely worth something.

Willie has been nothing but an inconsistent player this season, and that is a consistent disappointment for all of us fans.

Preseason Naismith favorite? Hell, he'd be lucky to be an honorable mention for All-American at this point! And if he were to get that, it would be name recognition alone!

Hell, give it to Cade for his defense before WW at this point... and Crock before anyone else on our team. He is definitely MVP, Captain, MIP, etc. etc. now.

Collier11
12/21/2009, 11:32 AM
We need him to play really well our next two games or we will be going into non conf at 8-5

IronHorseSooner
12/21/2009, 02:01 PM
Hey, this is non-thread-related, but do you think Petraeus is going to make a run at President?

the_ouskull

If he can fix Iraq, and WHEN he fixes Afghanistan, why couldn't he fix the USA? He is also one of the most positive, intelligent, and likable people that you will ever meet. He flat out makes things happen.

the_ouskull
12/21/2009, 04:21 PM
If he can fix Iraq, and WHEN he fixes Afghanistan, why couldn't he fix the USA? He is also one of the most positive, intelligent, and likable people that you will ever meet. He flat out makes things happen.

Man, you don't have to convince me. The guy's a f*cking genius. Truly. I don't care what ticket he runs on, he's got my vote unless he's going head-to-head with Ron Paul.

the_ouskull

badger
12/21/2009, 05:34 PM
According to this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=2&articleid=20091221_92_B1_JeffCa122363), Capel and WW sat down to talk yesterday and they are cool now.

The UTEP game is on ESPN2 tonight in about an hour... 5:30 p.m. to be exact. I'll miss the first hour or so, so you'll all have to fill me in. I'll probably be jogging off WW's frustration during the second half at a local gym.