PDA

View Full Version : ok, here's a hypothetical for you...

PDXsooner
12/3/2009, 12:09 PM
let's say you're being hired as the new coach for a college football program and you are given a 5-year contract. you inherit no existing players or coaches, so you're starting with a clean slate. everything else exists as it is (money, facilities, boosters, etc.)

which 5 schools give you the best chance to win a national title after 5 years? in other words, what would your top 5 picks be, EXCLUDING OU? in addition, i'm curious to know if OU would be a top 5 choice for you.

mine would be:

texas
USC
florida
florida state
ohio state

OUmillenium
12/3/2009, 12:13 PM
Texas easy.

There recruiting classes are second to none. Facilities, ability to steal/smoke weed/dui with little or no punishment, and regional media worship are highly attractive to modern athletes.

If they would get legitimate balls out coaching and motivation, they would be in the MNC yearly.

my list...
1. *
2. Florida State
3. USC

sooner518
12/3/2009, 12:15 PM
let's say you're being hired as the new coach for a college football program and you are given a 5-year contract. you inherit no existing players or coaches, so you're starting with a clean slate. everything else exists as it is (money, facilities, boosters, etc.)

which 5 schools give you the best chance to win a national title after 5 years? in other words, what would your top 5 picks be, EXCLUDING OU? in addition, i'm curious to know if OU would be a top 5 choice for you.

mine would be:

texas
USC
florida
florida state
ohio state

id erase FSU and add Bama.

PDXsooner
12/3/2009, 12:17 PM
id erase FSU and add Bama.

i considered them, but florida st has so much of a geographical advantage with so many players in florida. at the end of the day bama (just like OU) is dependent on out-of-state players.

NormanPride
12/3/2009, 12:18 PM
Look for big recruiting areas with little to no legit rivals.

1. USC
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. Alabama

Florida is there because of the sheer amount of talent in the state, and the money that they get coming into their school. Based off of graduating fans/year, money, and recruiting base, these teams should never be outside the top 15-20.

westbrooke
12/3/2009, 12:28 PM
i considered them, but florida st has so much of a geographical advantage with so many players in florida. at the end of the day bama (just like OU) is dependent on out-of-state players.

Good point. I feel like FSU is starting to acquire the stench of a team on the way out, though. As much as I hate them, I'd sub in Miami for the same advantage plus the dubious aura of a team on the way back in. I'd also consider Michigan for their ability to recruit players nationally, but I think the point you just made about the Florida recruiting base, and Michigan's recent slide into mediocrity, would have me choosing Miami again.

Harry Beanbag
12/3/2009, 12:28 PM
Texas
Ohio St.
USC/UCLA (either could be great in the right situation)
Florida/FSU/Miami (they can be interchangeable)
OU/Alabama-it's a tie

StoopTroup
12/3/2009, 12:29 PM
None on that list....they all suck ballz. :D

PDXsooner
12/3/2009, 12:30 PM
miami has a crazy in-state player advantage, but seeing how little fan support they have makes me wonder if that isn't somewhat of a hindrance. seeing 40,000 fans in an 80,000 seat stadium must be underwhelming for some recruits...

Harry Beanbag
12/3/2009, 12:31 PM
miami has a crazy in-state player advantage, but seeing how little fan support they have makes me wonder if that isn't somewhat of a hindrance. seeing 40,000 fans in an 80,000 seat stadium must be underwhelming for some recruits...

It didn't hurt them much for their 5 championships in the last 26 years.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2009, 12:32 PM
The top 4 have to be able to dominate the top 4 recruiting areas, so my list in order :

USC own southern ca. recruiting + cherry pick nationally. No CCG
tOSU - strong in Ohio/Penn/Mich recruiting, no CCG
Texas - dominate Texas recruiting, but must play OU and CCG
UF - strong Florida recruiting, but SEC is strong + CCG

Contenders for 5th spot :
ND - strong in Ohio/Penn/Mich recruting + national, can pick soft sched., but entry requirements eliminates many good players
Miami - still pulling strong recruits against UF and play in weak ACC, but not great fan base and play CCG
FSU - same as Miami, but better fan base - will be interesting to see how they do post-Bowden
OU - Only school to challenge UT in Texas recruiting, great tradition and fan support, but must play UT and CCG
LSU - homer state keeps all recruits, huge home field advantage, but SEC is strong + CCG
Alabama - great tradition, but many have tried and failed pre-Saban

OKLA21FAN
12/3/2009, 12:33 PM
the only way to truly know is to simulate this a few 100 times with an Xbox and NCAA '10 :pop:

westbrooke
12/3/2009, 12:33 PM

Oh, fair weather fans, no doubt about that. As long as you keep winning... :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 12:35 PM
The top 4 have to be able to dominate the top 4 recruiting areas, so my list in order :

USC own southern ca. recruiting + cherry pick nationally. No CCG
tOSU - strong in Ohio/Penn/Mich recruiting, no CCG
Texas - dominate Texas recruiting, but must play OU and CCG
UF - strong Florida recruiting, but SEC is strong + CCG

I'll go with top 4 and add Alabama

PDXsooner
12/3/2009, 12:39 PM
It didn't hurt them much for their 5 championships in the last 26 years.

very true...

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 12:47 PM
1. San Diego State (huge recruiting base, low expectations)
2. USC (private school allows me to cheat my *** off and get away with it)
3. Hawaii (I wouldn't care if I won or not)
4. Tulsa (allows me to stay in OK)
5. Florida (coeds)

Well, that's about it.

PDXsooner
12/3/2009, 01:01 PM
georgia has a pretty big recruiting advantage, but they seem to underachieve most of the time...

Blues1
12/3/2009, 01:29 PM
No - No - Just about Anyone with half a Brain could Win at these Schools....
texas
USC
florida
florida state
ohio state

Now Here's my *Stange List*.....I say Go for Broke -- A Real Challenge but could be Done....!!!

1. ~ Houston ~~~ Texas players and More Texas Players plus some Oklahoma Players...Lots of Booster's with $$$$$$$ -And It's already Started IMHO.....!

2.~ San Diego State ~ Why..? -- The Women - :) - The Parties - Southern Cailfornia Players - Warm Weather all Year Long...Plus they are so hungry for a Winner you'd get lots of Freedom to do what you wanted -with very little pressure from the alums....Following a Local JC Coach at SDSU Timing wasn't right for Chuck Long....jmho...

3.~ Indiana - Very Hungry for a winner - Uni's like OU ~~ :) - ND is down - Mich is Down - Purdue is down - Beautiful Small College Town - You'd be a Hero with a 8 and 4 Season - Michigan, Ill, and Ohio is close for Recruits - Thinks it's impossible...? - Synder did it a Kansas State, It could be Done...!!

4. ~ Mississippi State - Come on down to Dixie - Enjoy the slow lazy life - Win and Live like a King ~~ :) Out smart stupid Miles and find all those Jerry Rice type players --- :) -There's a ton of talent in them there parts.....;)

5. ~ UCLA - Big Time money for a Head Coach - Bring back "The Single Wing" - Beat Pete every year -- :) - No Pro Team to compete with - (That's Coming Soon I hear) - Live with the Rich and Famous - All that High School California Talent - More Beautiful Women - Live in North San Diego Area (Fallbrook) and fly to work every day in your own helicopter -I can Do this .....:) ~~~ Everybody keep Rockin'

Soonersince57
12/3/2009, 02:45 PM
None on that list....they all suck ballz. :D

I couldn't wear any of those colors so I guess I would just go get drunk in Vegas.

olevetonahill
12/3/2009, 02:48 PM
Id just sit on my azz and not do a thing till they Bot out My contract , then Go Party :cool:

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2009, 03:07 PM
Id just sit on my azz and not do a thing till they Bot out My contract , then Go Party :cool:

If you did that, your hungry assistant coaches would probably win and ruin it for ya. :) You would at least need to annoy them and get in their way sometimes.

olevetonahill
12/3/2009, 03:30 PM
If you did that, your hungry assistant coaches would probably win and ruin it for ya. :) You would at least need to annoy them and get in their way sometimes.

Aint no assistants , No Players . he said yer startin fresh
pay tention