PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame can kiss their sweet TV deal goodbye

Scott D
12/3/2009, 12:00 PM
It's only a matter of time.

Done Deal: Comcast Takes Over NBC Universal

Thursday, December 3, 2009; 1:48 AM

Comcast and General Electric announced early this morning that they agreed to form a joint venture that will be 51 percent owned by Comcast and 49 percent by GE. The joint venture, which will consist of the NBC Universal businesses and Comcast?s cable networks, regional sports networks and more, will be managed by the newly formed Comcast Entertainment Group (CEG).

GE will contribute to the joint venture NBCU?s businesses valued at $30 billion, including its cable networks, filmed entertainment, televised entertainment, theme parks, and unconsolidated investments, subject to $9.1 billion in debt.

Comcast will put in its cable networks (including E!, Versus and the Golf Channel), its ten regional sports networks, and certain digital media properties, collectively valued at $7.25 billion. Comcast has also agreed to pay GE approximately $6.5 billion in cash. Former E! Networks President and CEO Ted Harbert will be heading the new entity, as he was recently promoted to President and CEO of Comcast Entertainment Group.

GE expects to realize $9.8 billion pre-tax in cash before debt reduction and transaction fees and after buyout of the Vivendi stake. GE expects to realize approximately $8 billion in cash after paying down the existing NBCU debt and transaction fees.

Headquarters for the business will remain in New York. The joint venture board will have three directors nominated by Comcast and two nominated by GE.
ad_icon

The transaction is subject to receipt of various regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions, which is expected to be a very rocky road.

fadada1
12/3/2009, 12:02 PM
dammit. now i won't be able to watch ND lose to navy, akron, uconn, army, toledo, or any one of the other mid-level 1AA teams they seem to lose to on a yearly basis.

John Kochtoston
12/3/2009, 12:53 PM
And with that, the Big East will add a new member and continue to be the weak sister of the BCS for years to come.

badger
12/3/2009, 12:56 PM
I think we could really scare ESPN by having the Big 12 sign with NBC to have them feature our games, similar to what the SEC does with CBS. Any word on when our FSN crapfest ends?

(seriously... i want more high def games and less sheedy commentary and fsn ain't doing either!)

NormanPride
12/3/2009, 01:02 PM
FSN succs

yermom
12/3/2009, 01:13 PM
bring back the Boz on TBS!

Scott D
12/3/2009, 01:19 PM
I think we could really scare ESPN by having the Big 12 sign with NBC to have them feature our games, similar to what the SEC does with CBS. Any word on when our FSN crapfest ends?

(seriously... i want more high def games and less sheedy commentary and fsn ain't doing either!)

well, here's the catch. What you'd see is a Big-12 product broadcast on CSN networks (already is via the fsn deals), Versus, and NBC. I still think that the Big-12 might be better off pursuing a joint venture with Comcast or Fox to spin off a Big-12 Network, much in the same way the SEC Network has come out.

jumperstop
12/3/2009, 01:39 PM
well, here's the catch. What you'd see is a Big-12 product broadcast on CSN networks (already is via the fsn deals), Versus, and NBC. I still think that the Big-12 might be better off pursuing a joint venture with Comcast or Fox to spin off a Big-12 Network, much in the same way the SEC Network has come out.

I have the Big Ten Network on my cable package, but no SEC Network for some reason. I do wish they had a Big 12 Network for all Big 12 sports, but that is kinda what FSN is now.

badger
12/3/2009, 01:39 PM
Anything to shut espn out... mostly. The east coast bias that the EASTern Sports Network has shown might not have swayed Heisman voters last year, but is really starting to show with the polls in both football and basketball, and it has to be nipped in the butt quickly.

StoopTroup
12/3/2009, 01:46 PM
I just turned the Fox Sports pkg off until I have to buy it next year.

Ummmm....if any of you work for AT&T...let them know they are about to lose yet again...another customer. A damn good one at that.

As our technology becomes better...I expect to have my service improve. I shouldn't have to switch to a new provider every one to two years to get improvements and it shouldn't cost me more. Also...I hate having to haggle with you over it.

It's about time after the first of the year for a new phone anyway. It will be fun to see how it all turns out. I'm just giddy about having to deal with it all again...can you tell? :D

Scott D
12/3/2009, 03:44 PM
I have the Big Ten Network on my cable package, but no SEC Network for some reason. I do wish they had a Big 12 Network for all Big 12 sports, but that is kinda what FSN is now.

SEC Network is a regional thing I believe. However if you have CBSC (CBS College) it's basically a shill for the SEC...most of us knew it before as CSTV.

jumperstop
12/3/2009, 03:50 PM
I just turned the Fox Sports pkg off until I have to buy it next year.

Ummmm....if any of you work for AT&T...let them know they are about to lose yet again...another customer. A damn good one at that.

As our technology becomes better...I expect to have my service improve. I shouldn't have to switch to a new provider every one to two years to get improvements and it shouldn't cost me more. Also...I hate having to haggle with you over it.

It's about time after the first of the year for a new phone anyway. It will be fun to see how it all turns out. I'm just giddy about having to deal with it all again...can you tell? :D

I have At&t cable and internet and I have never had a problem with it. It is so much better than Cox or satellite. I guess it helps that I get all the channels real cheap cause my roomate works at At&t.

SoCal
12/3/2009, 03:53 PM
Its gona suck for people that have Direct TV!

olevetonahill
12/3/2009, 04:03 PM
Its gona suck for people that have Direct TV!

Why ?

Scott D
12/3/2009, 04:44 PM
Why ?

because right now it appears there is no end in sight for the dispute between Comcast and DirecTV over the pricing on the Versus network, so DirecTV members have had to go without Versus since before the current college football and nhl hockey seasons started.

kbsooner21
12/3/2009, 05:12 PM
because right now it appears there is no end in sight for the dispute between Comcast and DirecTV over the pricing on the Versus network, so DirecTV members have had to go without Versus since before the current college football and nhl hockey seasons started.

So we have to miss a few hockey games?

Shucks lol

Scott D
12/3/2009, 06:56 PM
Well, put it to the perspective of if Versus became a pilot channel for Big-12 games. The chance of not watching OU games goes up with that dispute.