PDA

View Full Version : How Well Do You Know Your Thunder?

the_ouskull
12/2/2009, 06:55 PM
Welcome to my first report, tentatively titled, "How Well Do You Know Your Thunder?" Ready... GO!

Most people, when they think of the OKC Thunder (God, it feels good to say that, too - f*ck Seattle!) they think of offense. Kevin Durant. One of the league's most offensive players. Russell Westbrook. The whirlwind. Points, Assists, Rebounds, Dunks. Jeff Green. Efficiency. And, then, to that, add James Harden, who led the Pac-10 in scoring. We were supposed to be trying to run teams out of the gym and occasionally stop them.

Hmmm...

I hate giving away some of my "secrets of the trade," but what the heck, it's almost two weeks before Christmas...

http://www.basketballgeek.com/tools/nba-power-rankings/?which=def

Currently, the OKC Thunder are ranked 3rd in the league in Defensive Efficiency, trailing only the champions, and the Charlotte Hornets. (Yeah, I know, it's early in the season...) On the offensive side of the coin, however, there lies an ugly face. We rank 21st, between the Grizzlies and the Knicks. Yeah, THOSE train wrecks.

Now, before you take me the wrong way, I place a lot of faith in stats like these, mainly 'cause they usually hold up, and right now, the Thunder look like a playoff team, and maybe even a successful one. (Good home record...)

But, offensively, if you look past the highlights, this is a very young team that still has a lot of room to improve, offensively, and defensively... but at least they're maxing out in the area that Coach Brooks wants to see them max out in - defense. I'll take that. As the players mature, they'll learn more and more about offensive efficiency and its importance. Westbrook won't average almost four turnovers per game. Kevin Durant will improve on his Rasheed Wallace-esque 25% from 3pt range. And his 3.4 turnovers per game, right behind Westbrook's 3.7. Just saying...

Oh, and the fact that Westbrook's d*mn near outrebounding our starting f*cking center. That'll get better too. It better. But, that's not an offensive issue, it's a defensive issue, and one that Gonad had better d*mn well sort through, because I don't care how athletic he is, it's embarrassing! Oh, we're still on?

Well, that's my first report. Yay.

the_ouskull

Soonerus
12/2/2009, 07:12 PM
Nice job...Go Thunder beat the Sixers !!!

the_ouskull
12/2/2009, 07:35 PM
Wait, shut up. We get to play against Iverson? YES!

the_ouskull

Ton Loc
12/3/2009, 10:05 AM
Career high in Assists (15) for Westbrook last night. That's an improvement and will help out his ratio. Too bad it was coupled with his 1-11 shooting.

Regardless THUNDER WIN!
and
I got awesome tickets for the Celtics game Friday. WooHoo

the_ouskull
12/3/2009, 10:47 AM
I'm so ticked at Westbrook. I'm getting slaughtered in field goal percentage already, and he pulls this on me...? Gah.

the_ouskull

soonerbub
12/8/2009, 07:42 AM
I know last night we were the first team all year to hold the Warriors under 90.

the_ouskull
12/10/2009, 02:05 PM
The stats are being borne out. Sweet.

Then again, it IS Golden State, and if they were any better, they'd suck.

the_ouskull