PDA

View Full Version : Attn. All Couch Potatos:What Was Your Biggest Athletic Achievement The Past Year?

FaninAma
12/2/2009, 05:21 PM
Alright Doleo, if you are lurking it is your time to shine.

I'll start it off by saying that the 1st and 2nd grade flag football team I coached went 8-2 winning their last 7 games in a row after unveiling our now infamous pick and roll passing attack. We crushed last year's champion in our next to last game and our QB(my son) threw for 35 TDs.

And hell yes I am living vicariously through him....it's all I've got left at my age. :D

SPuL
12/2/2009, 05:34 PM
haha nice!

Pick and roll passing attack?

FaninAma
12/2/2009, 05:48 PM
haha nice!

Pick and roll passing attack?

Yeah, it's designed to use mutiple picks with options off the picks. It is sweet offense. My son can throw about 20 yards and is fairly accurate but usually anything he throws past 5 yards bounces off the receivers noggin.(That happened at least 3 times this year.)

I had a playbook with 10 plays in it for the first 3 games, 2 of which we lost. And it became very apparent that there just isn't enough room in the busy little minds of 7 and 8 year old boys to hold much information. So I simplified the playbook to 2 plays.....the crossing/pick route and a hook and lateral. The pick play called for 4 of the 5 eligible recievers to go one direction and one receiver to drag underneath after crossing with the guy next to him. The splits between the receivers were cut down to a yard so after the ball was hiked it looked like a rugby scrum but usually our drag receiver always broke free.

The hook and lateral had the option of being ran by either end reciever. The trick was getting the reciever to concentrate enough to catch the ball and flip it back to the QB quick enough to avoid having his flag pulled.

We probably had the smallest team in the league but we had some speedy little players. If they caught it they were usually gone.

ADs_Agent
12/2/2009, 05:55 PM
I started the year at 265, I am now 188. I also have turned into a massive gym rat, at the Y in Downtown OKC every morning at 6. I'm almost to the point again where I can grab the rim in basketball, but still working on getting the calves back to what they were when I was 17. Next goal is a 6-pack and being able to dunk again

FaninAma
12/2/2009, 06:02 PM
I started the year at 265, I am now 188. I also have turned into a massive gym rat, at the Y in Downtown OKC every morning at 6. I'm almost to the point again where I can grab the rim in basketball, but still working on getting the calves back to what they were when I was 17. Next goal is a 6-pack and being able to dunk again

I am impressed. I guarantee you that your heart appreciates what you've done.

soonerinabilene
12/2/2009, 06:04 PM
i shot a 79 from the gold tees at weeks course in wichita falls, the nicest course i have ever played. and i won the heisman with demarco on ncaa 2010. OUr line was a lot better in EA's mind, apparently. and somehow i have managed to keep from gaining any sympathy weight while my pregnant wife has ballooned.

Veritas
12/2/2009, 06:16 PM
Well, I gained a little weight this year due to working 24/7 to make my business a success.

But I was able to fulfill one of my wife's lifelong dreams: to attend a Duke vs. North Carolina basketball game. I got sweet tickets that are 12 rows behind the Tarheel bench right in the middle of all the rich alumni season ticket holders.

It's going to be awesome.

NormanPride
12/2/2009, 06:18 PM
I went from not being able to run for 30 seconds without losing my breath to easily running a 5k after a couple of months training. I've never been able to run before in my life, and now I can torture myself all I want!

Pricetag
12/2/2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it's designed to use mutiple picks with options off the picks. It is sweet offense.
I can't believe the refs let you get away with the picks.

My oldest son just finished his second year of flag football. He played in a level with kindergarten and first grade players both years. I don't know what kind of mental jump there is between the first and second grade years, but I have to say, I hate what you did with your offense.

You are right, there is very limited room in the noggins of those kids, and even less attention span. Especially on defense, it is tough to get the kids to line up in the right place and then locate and pursue the ball in a logical fashion, even on a simple handoff. Offenses designed to confuse the kids are for nothing but winning football games at a level when it should be about learning fundamentals.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/2/2009, 06:26 PM
I shot an 81 from the back tees at a golf course down on the Gulf Coast. It was the first time I played a round since blowing out my knee last April so I was happy with that.

olevetonahill
12/2/2009, 06:42 PM
PFFT
I made it from MY computer chair to My fridge and back 30 times One Saturday . Yall beat that:P

SicEmBaylor
12/2/2009, 06:59 PM
I managed to make it an entire week at OK D-Day playing paintball for hours every day, practice/training, and then I made it all 11 hours at the main game on Saturday. I really didn't think I had the energy for all that.

Now, when I got home I was damned near comatose!

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2009, 07:02 PM
5 dives in two days, July in Thailand.

Oh hell, I should just say, "July in Thailand."

royalfan5
12/2/2009, 07:42 PM
I hit the ball fairly consistently in softball, and stayed in fairly decent shape all year.

PrideTrombone
12/2/2009, 09:12 PM
Shot a legit 80 at Earlywine North back in March... and that was after double-bogeying the last two holes. Sooo close!

setem
12/2/2009, 09:40 PM
Last February I weighed 308 and now I weigh 246. 308 was the biggest I have ever been. I need to get back on the losing weight though. I want to be 190(not the most ideal weight) but I would be very happy at 190.

Biggest athletic achievement though was the American Legion Baseball team that I coach called The Oklahoma City Ruf-Neks had a banner year. We went 37-13 and besides getting dicked in our draw for playoffs, we had a great showing in playoffs. We won the Ardmore Tournament only giving up 1 run in those 4 wins. We took 2of3 from Brassfield(our rival here in the city) the first game in a come from behind, 11 inning effort that was as beautiful as any baseball game I have ever orchestrated and the 2nd game we never were behind and in the 3rd my guys laid a big egg(fighting with me and each other before was the main reason we failed epically). We received the SAXET treatment in Kansas scoring 45 runs in 3 games and still got held out of the championship round. We run ruled teams from Wichita and Minnesota though in the consolation but consolation is BS in my eyes. I sent almost all of my seniors to college and 2 of my guys are playing with OU right now. Derek Vaughn and Ryan Gibson although I was just a pass through for those guys I was lucky to have them on my team. It was an epic year as far as record goes but this is year will be even better!

XFollower
12/2/2009, 09:54 PM
Hiked 22 miles in the Grand Canyon over 3 days and 2 nights with 40 lbs on my back. Got highly addicted to disc golf and am improving but still not tourney ready.

setem
12/2/2009, 10:03 PM
Hiked 22 miles in the Grand Canyon over 3 days and 2 nights with 40 lbs on my back. Got highly addicted to disc golf and am improving but still not tourney ready.

Hippie!

ouwasp
12/3/2009, 12:25 AM
The 7th gr football team I coach went 6-2 :)

But we had a 36 game winning streak snapped :mad:

GottaHavePride
12/3/2009, 12:31 AM
I went from not being able to run for 30 seconds without losing my breath to easily running a 5k after a couple of months training. I've never been able to run before in my life, and now I can torture myself all I want!

Same boat here with the running thing. I remember up in Lincoln for the game in 01 it was frigid that morning, so the bones decided to do a down and back sprint on the field. 200 yards in full uniform. I was wheezing the rest of the morning. Now I can almost do 5K without breaking stride.

About a year and a half ago I was at 205. I changed my eating habits and dropped down to about 185. Then I changed my exercise habits and went up to about 195. I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in - I'd still like to trim a bit off my belly.

Collier11
12/3/2009, 12:34 AM
Batted over 600. in slow pitch softball, lol. Hit 6 threes in a Church league bball game a few months ago, take that STEP :D

I currently am 6'2'' 238 and would like to get to about 215 but havent gotten there yet

StoopTroup
12/3/2009, 09:19 AM
I did 20 push ups the other day.

1890MilesToNorman
12/3/2009, 09:22 AM
I play pool ever Sunday and that requires me to bend over so I guess that counts. It's always good to get back to my chair though. :D

Collier11
12/3/2009, 09:58 AM
I have also frequently drank 20 beers or more on gameday, that is alot of walking to grab a new beer :D

My Opinion Matters
12/3/2009, 10:08 AM
I threw a football over them mountains over there.

TheBobbyTrain
12/3/2009, 10:39 AM
I went from about 228 @ ~28% body fat to 195 @ 14% body fat, and am now back up to 202 @ 12% - all with NO supplementation.

if i'd quit beer i'd get lower, but somethings just aren't worth giving up.

Pogue Mahone
12/3/2009, 12:54 PM
I ran the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach, Va., in a green OU shirt, outrunning orange-clad Texans in the last three miles for my own small victory.

crawfish
12/3/2009, 01:00 PM
Did my first half-marathon this year. Hoping I'll be up for the marathon at the OKC this year...

sooneron
12/3/2009, 01:04 PM
Shot an 87 and an 88 in Florida back in May with borrowed clubs.

Sadly, those were my best rounds of the year. :(

rawlingsHOH
12/3/2009, 01:05 PM
Went from 230 to 190. My bench went from 315 to N/A.

Not much achieved there.

Ike
12/3/2009, 01:10 PM
racked up 4 wins to 0 losses tossing the hardball against teams of college kids. If you expand that record to include other teams like ours (guys 10 or more years removed from college ball), I went 8-0.

Personally, for a junkballer like myself, it's a lot easier pitching to the flatbellies than the old men. The old men have plate discipline. It's not too hard to get a college freshman or sophmore to chase a bad pitch. Especially if it's a slow bad pitch.

proud gonzo
12/3/2009, 01:11 PM
Shot a legit 80 at Earlywine North back in March... and that was after double-bogeying the last two holes. Sooo close!pfff, that's not athletic :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 01:15 PM
. Hit 6 threes in a Church league bball game a few months ago, take that STEP :D

I currently am 6'2'' 238 and would like to get to about 215 but havent gotten there yet

wow....congrats ebi ere..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 01:16 PM
After 3 knee surgeries, playing with the kids is about as athletic as it gets....

Flagstaffsooner
12/3/2009, 01:16 PM
245 to 220 lbs.
Walked 5 miles Monday in freezing temps and high winds at a high elevation.(flat tires)

Collier11
12/3/2009, 03:07 PM
wow....congrats ebi ere..

Ive got better touch than he does

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 03:09 PM
thats what ck said

FaninAma
12/3/2009, 03:18 PM

My oldest son just finished his second year of flag football. He played in a level with kindergarten and first grade players both years. I don't know what kind of mental jump there is between the first and second grade years, but I have to say, I hate what you did with your offense.

You are right, there is very limited room in the noggins of those kids, and even less attention span. Especially on defense, it is tough to get the kids to line up in the right place and then locate and pursue the ball in a logical fashion, even on a simple handoff. Offenses designed to confuse the kids are for nothing but winning football games at a level when it should be about learning fundamentals.

It is all legal and above board. Our players simply ran crossing patterns and did not block or intentionlly run into any of the opposing players. No real picks were set although the ultimate effect was the same.

Fundamentals at this level consists of getting them to catch the ball and running in the general direction you want them to run in.

Forget about teaching them to run buttonhooks, slants or sideline routes. There were maybe 3 players out of 13 on our team that would retain what you taught them from one practice to another. We started doing the traditional plays but there just wasn't enough practice time to get most of the kids to grasp most of the pass plays. I spent a lot of times chasing the really inattentive players down to try and get them lined up to even run a play.

And don't worry, by the end of the season most of the other teams had adopted our offense....they just couldn't run it as well. And the kids had a blast and I agree with you to a certain extent but over 1/2 of my players knew who won or lost and it did matter to them. Plus we played 11 different kids at QB and had 10 of 13 score TD's because the offense allowed us to isolate the kids who normally wouldn't have sniffed the ball.

Breadburner
12/3/2009, 03:23 PM
I flipped my underware over my head this morning with my foot and caught it with my hand behind my back.....

kbsooner21
12/3/2009, 03:29 PM

Wimp lol. Everyone can't win. The younger kids learn that, the better off they'll be. Not everyone can excel in sports, but there is something out there everyone can excel at. I can't stand parents these days and there "everyone plays equal time" bull****. That's not teaching kids anything about the real world.

soonermix
12/3/2009, 03:51 PM
i once lifted an entire 18 pack of beers over my head with both hands

FaninAma
12/3/2009, 03:55 PM
i once lifted an entire 18 pack of beers over my head with both hands
All at once or one at a time?:)

BillyBall
12/3/2009, 04:19 PM
I ran in the Chicago Marathon, my time sucked but I finished.

NormanPride
12/3/2009, 05:03 PM
I flipped my underware over my head this morning with my foot and caught it with my hand behind my back.....

*cue epic music*

the_ouskull
12/3/2009, 05:11 PM
The junior high boys team I coached won their district. Our high school boys team was a few games away from state.

I still beat up on them whenever I play against them. :D But I'm old and fragile now.

the_ouskull

I Am Right
12/3/2009, 05:12 PM
They were wanting to fire Stoops.

Pricetag
12/4/2009, 01:17 AM
It is all legal and above board. . .

We started doing the traditional plays but there just wasn't enough practice time to get most of the kids to grasp most of the pass plays. . .

And don't worry, by the end of the season most of the other teams had adopted our offense....they just couldn't run it as well. And the kids had a blast and I agree with you to a certain extent but over 1/2 of my players knew who won or lost and it did matter to them. Plus we played 11 different kids at QB and had 10 of 13 score TD's because the offense allowed us to isolate the kids who normally wouldn't have sniffed the ball.
Of course it's all legal. It's just a matter of what the coach is willing to do to win games when winning should not be the top priority. I think this is a point that we're not going to be able to agree upon, but it's still interesting to talk about.

Again, I have to preface that my boy played in a league staggered one year younger than yours. It looks like a good portion of your original offense was passing--how many of the other teams in your league were trying to throw the ball at first? In the two years that my son has played, it's been all dives, sweeps, and QB keepers. Very vanilla, boring stuff, but stuff the kids could understand, and a base the kids can take with them as they grow in the sport, and something the kids on the other team at least had a chance to defend and learn against.

Your offense seems so far beyond the capabilities of your opponents to defend that it would definitely suck the fun out of the game for the other team. There are levels of football where that kind of competition is acceptable, and IMO, this isn't it.

I'm not surprised that the rest of the league tried to emulate what you were doing. I bet the breakdown was probably about 50/50 between coaches who wanted to win games and coaches who were so pissed off at the principle of what you were doing that they couldn't resist the urge to fight fire with fire.

I'm not advocating turning off the scoreboard or anything like that. Kids should learn what it feels like to win and lose as soon as they step on the field in sport. It's cool that you rotated players to all the positions--one major criticism I have is that all the QBs tend to be the coach's kids. I'm sure your boys had a blast this year. But next year, the only one who will remember that your son threw 35 touchdown passes this year is you.

Soonerus
12/4/2009, 01:22 AM
OKC 1/2 less than 2...and about 750 miles this year...actually a pretty weak year....

tommieharris91
12/4/2009, 01:26 AM
I play indoor soccer once a week now. I'm a lot better than I was 6 months ago when I started playing. Strange thing was, back then, the team I was on won our league. Now, we've dropped down 2 leagues and we haven't been competitive until this season. It might have to do with 3 of our 4 best players from that season not playing with us anymore... something about going back to play for their school's teams. But hey, I can create offense and play defense now.

Too bad I don't have any eligibility left, cuz I bet I could kick a football over them mountains...

FaninAma
12/4/2009, 12:17 PM
Of course it's all legal. It's just a matter of what the coach is willing to do to win games when winning should not be the top priority. I think this is a point that we're not going to be able to agree upon, but it's still interesting to talk about.

Again, I have to preface that my boy played in a league staggered one year younger than yours. It looks like a good portion of your original offense was passing--how many of the other teams in your league were trying to throw the ball at first? In the two years that my son has played, it's been all dives, sweeps, and QB keepers. Very vanilla, boring stuff, but stuff the kids could understand, and a base the kids can take with them as they grow in the sport, and something the kids on the other team at least had a chance to defend and learn against.

Your offense seems so far beyond the capabilities of your opponents to defend that it would definitely suck the fun out of the game for the other team. There are levels of football where that kind of competition is acceptable, and IMO, this isn't it.

I'm not surprised that the rest of the league tried to emulate what you were doing. I bet the breakdown was probably about 50/50 between coaches who wanted to win games and coaches who were so pissed off at the principle of what you were doing that they couldn't resist the urge to fight fire with fire.

I'm not advocating turning off the scoreboard or anything like that. Kids should learn what it feels like to win and lose as soon as they step on the field in sport. It's cool that you rotated players to all the positions--one major criticism I have is that all the QBs tend to be the coach's kids. I'm sure your boys had a blast this year. But next year, the only one who will remember that your son threw 35 touchdown passes this year is you.

It was all passing, no running. I would say that by the end of the season every team was running a drag play of some type although their spread out formation made it less effective. We also ran our routes a little further down field as oopposed to the other teams who ran them right along the line of scrimmage. My son was very good at hitting the reciever in stride at about 7 yards. In all honesty I developed the offense because it was easy and simple....it just also happened to be very effective.

I really understand what you are saying but in our first game the team that beat us kept the same players on defense the whole game. We never did that. Everybody got to play an eqaul amount. Now, admittedly we tried to get the ball to our fastest and best receivers earlier in the game then we would let up in the second half.

This is an interesting issue, though and I appreciate your comments.

I will tell you that another coach of a different team that I am friends with said that he had way more parents complain if they were losing games than they did if their child wasn't playing much. Of course the combination of the two was deadly.

Pricetag
12/4/2009, 01:58 PM
Cool. Thanks for the perspective, and for a level-headed response to a criticism.

Ever since my boy started playing sports, I've been at Defcon 1 about not being one of "those parents," and I'm sure it has affected my view on all this.

Kudos for being a coach. I'm intrigued by the idea of doing it, but have not had the intestinal fortitude so far to step up. It has been a mighty struggle for me to keep my mouth shut and let the coach do his job, one that I am proud to say I have accomplished to this point. I know that there are many others who do not.

OUstud
12/4/2009, 02:00 PM
I hit 4 halfcourt shots in a row at the Huff in February. True story. I actually shot them too, not just baseball heaves or anything.

Howzit
12/4/2009, 02:15 PM
I finally came to grips with the fact that I am pretty much in maintenance mode from here on out. I hung the bike up, and it is there waiting for when my knees finally go and i can't run anymore.

For now, I'm still running 3 times a week (if I'm in town) but nothing over 8 miles, I'm getting a couple of swims a week (usually a mile), and I've gotten back in the weight room for three upper body sessions a week.

Echoes
12/4/2009, 02:21 PM
Just rockin intramurals. Volleyball, basketball, flag football domination!

FaninAma
12/4/2009, 04:19 PM
Cool. Thanks for the perspective, and for a level-headed response to a criticism.

Ever since my boy started playing sports, I've been at Defcon 1 about not being one of "those parents," and I'm sure it has affected my view on all this.

Kudos for being a coach. I'm intrigued by the idea of doing it, but have not had the intestinal fortitude so far to step up. It has been a mighty struggle for me to keep my mouth shut and let the coach do his job, one that I am proud to say I have accomplished to this point. I know that there are many others who do not.

I was very reluctant at first and kind of got drafted to do it but it was a very rewarding experience especially from the perspective that the kids who weren't as skilled and who hadn't got to play the game much seemed to enjoy the season. The kids really appreciate you although you have to have tons and tons of patience with the younger groups, something I am getting better at.

I did coach my son's baseball team for the first time last summer and I enjoyed coaching football much more. It was a blast.

I plan on doing it again next year.

RacerX
12/4/2009, 07:03 PM
Completed the Route 66 half-marathon in Tulsa

Completed a 6 hour event in OKC (24 the hard way). I only had a long run in of 15, but managed to complete 25.5 miles in the 6 hour

I'm up to 17 miles in prep for the Memorial

PrideTrombone
12/4/2009, 07:09 PM
pfff, that's not athletic :rolleyes:

It's as close as I'm gonna get. :)

btk108
12/4/2009, 09:01 PM
I rocked the turlets at the SF tailgate....I did have help tho. OH..and I always walked to and from the stadium, unlike some people who took the bike cabs (Homey)