PDA

View Full Version : Full Hog Backfield

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2009, 05:04 PM
Anyone remember it? Switzer had planned to stack the backfield with offensive linemen in the closing minutes of blowouts. Did he ever run it?

If we were to implement it, who would we select?

Would be a great recruiting tool. "Come to OU and you will even get to carry the ball."

yermom
12/2/2009, 05:22 PM
that would be cool to use early in the year for blowouts and later on the goal line :D

of course, you'd need to have extra OL for that to work...

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2009, 05:26 PM
How about safeties and WRs on the OL!!! (Would need to swap numbers)

I bet the D would burn a timeout on that one.

oudivesherpa
12/2/2009, 05:43 PM
Da Bears did something similar with the Refig back in the early 90's.

kbsooner21
12/2/2009, 05:55 PM
I'm more of a ninja type guy myself :D

SoonerObsession
12/2/2009, 06:10 PM
I use to love it when Refrigerator Perry use to come in and run on goal line situations. Why don't more teams do this?

KantoSooner
12/2/2009, 06:10 PM
Well, you could have just had Gresham go in motion, stop in the backfield and take a handoff up the middle in short yardage sitchs.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2009, 06:12 PM
I use to love it when Refrigerator Perry use to come in and run on goal line situations. Why don't more teams do this?

Lots of teams do put an OL guy in as a fullback for blocking. But big guys tend to fumble when they get the ball.

Frozen Sooner
12/2/2009, 06:20 PM
Lots of teams do put an OL guy in as a fullback for blocking. But big guys tend to fumble when they get the ball.

Alabama puts Terrence Cody in the backfield in goal line situations. Saban promised him a carry if he can beat Saban in a foot race.

Hasn't happened yet. But it's pretty amusing to see Cody taking on an LB.

Jacie
12/2/2009, 07:33 PM

Thinking of linemen and the football, before the Thanksgiving Day game in Dallas there was a clip of memorable moments. One they didn't show was Leon Lett slipping on the ice and fumbling a blocked field goal attempt that would have been the Dolphins last shot at victory. If you are too young, look it up. It is a textbook definition of why coaches don't let linemen anywhere near the ball.

OUinFLA
12/2/2009, 09:54 PM
do we have any linemen left?

setem
12/2/2009, 09:57 PM
How does that work I thought you had to have certain number to carry the ball! Anyone remember Mike Alstott I used to love watching him play!

soonerborn30
12/2/2009, 11:55 PM
I think we should let Gerald McCoy play fullback in goalline situations.

yermom
12/3/2009, 12:25 AM
Thinking of linemen and the football, before the Thanksgiving Day game in Dallas there was a clip of memorable moments. One they didn't show was Leon Lett slipping on the ice and fumbling a blocked field goal attempt that would have been the Dolphins last shot at victory. If you are too young, look it up. It is a textbook definition of why coaches don't let linemen anywhere near the ball.

:(

yermom
12/3/2009, 12:29 AM
How does that work I thought you had to have certain number to carry the ball! Anyone remember Mike Alstott I used to love watching him play!

in the NFL you can just talk to the ref and tell them you are playing out of position

in college, i think you have to change jerseys

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 03:01 AM
Does anyone know the rule, because I thought anyone could carry the ball in college football.

OUmillenium
12/3/2009, 09:05 AM
Stockar McDougle 1999

Tulsa_Fireman
12/3/2009, 10:45 AM
All you have to do is report as eligible prior to the play.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 10:56 AM
Are you sure you even need to do that? I can find rules about ineligible receivers, but nothing on ineligible rushers. Never heard of such a thing.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 10:57 AM
BTW, the full hog is supposed to employ OL, not tight ends.

SoonerAtKU
12/3/2009, 11:04 AM
You don't have to change numbers unless there's already someone on the offensive side of the ball that has your number. You don't have to report as eligible to run the ball, only to catch one.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/3/2009, 02:16 PM
An eligible receiver is just that. ANYONE eligible to catch the football, not just to actually catch the football. In other words, two ends and four backs as opposed to the five interior lineman who are ineligible receivers and wear a number range to assist in identification on the field.

It's no different than if you overload a side. The offense has to declare the tackle eligible if he's wearing a number within the 50-79 range.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 03:41 PM
I assume that "catch" refers to forward passes only.

SoonerAtKU
12/3/2009, 04:01 PM
Yup, anything else is a lateral or a hand-off and those don't count as forward passes.