PDA

View Full Version : If I were being recruited by Oklahoma...

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2009, 01:14 PM
...I would have been very concerned at the reports that ESPN were making on Monday. I wouldn't want to commit to OU, then have the coach leave.

Then...

I would have thought for a moment about what those reports were about.

The historically most important national football program, without even interviewing...on the day after firing their coach, offers their job on a silver plate to one Bob Stoops.

Makes me think this guy must be the real deal. Nobody's reported it was anyone else's job for the taking...not Meyer, not Brown, not Saban, not Carroll, etc.

Imagine the cache' of being able to tell your friends/family that you signed to play for the guy that turned down Notre Dame flat.

My positive spin to a frustrating couple of days.

bonkuba
12/2/2009, 01:30 PM
I like it......

OUmillenium
12/2/2009, 01:50 PM
Eggsellant

SoonerLB
12/2/2009, 01:54 PM
We all know Bob is the real deal. The thing that strikes me about the Notre Dame fiasco is that with Bob, and now Kelly, turning them down, it becomes even more apparant that the days of Notre Dame being the premiere coaching destination are long gone.

And as far as I'm concerned, good riddance! Welcome to the new world Notre Dame, join a conference and start playing like the rest of the kids.

okiedokie
12/2/2009, 02:07 PM
Sooner LB,
very well said. :-)

Monster Zero
12/2/2009, 02:47 PM
Unless I've been misinformed, a kid named Bobby Stoops turned down an offer from Notre Dame as well and went to the University of Iowa instead.

So this would be the second time.

goingoneight
12/2/2009, 03:33 PM
Do you really have to think about it if Coach Stoops personally calls you and says "I'm staying in Oklahoma?"

OTOH... do you really need Notre Dame's offer to know that Stoops is the real deal?

ictsooner7
12/2/2009, 04:29 PM
...I would have been very concerned at the reports that ESPN were making on Monday. I wouldn't want to commit to OU, then have the coach leave.

Then...

I would have thought for a moment about what those reports were about.

The historically most important national football program, without even interviewing...on the day after firing their coach, offers their job on a silver plate to one Bob Stoops.

Makes me think this guy must be the real deal. Nobody's reported it was anyone else's job for the taking...not Meyer, not Brown, not Saban, not Carroll, etc.

Imagine the cache' of being able to tell your friends/family that you signed to play for the guy that turned down Notre Dame flat.

My positive spin to a frustrating couple of days.

Take this for what you want -

The top recuit was visiting OU over the weekend and the parents asked Bob point blank, What about Notre Dame? Bob said I am building a big new home here in Norman, I'm not going anywhere.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:40 PM
If I was being recruited by Oklahoma, it would mean the football team is in **** poor shape

1890MilesToNorman
12/2/2009, 04:56 PM
ND ain't been the same since Regis Philbin started running his mouth about'em 30 years ago.

sooner59
12/2/2009, 04:59 PM
If I was being recruited by Oklahoma, it would mean the football team is in **** poor shape

Hehe, same here.

Collier11
12/2/2009, 05:02 PM

This...

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2009, 05:05 PM
If OU recruited me, it means they need someone old, small and injury prone. But at least I'm slow!

okiedokie
12/2/2009, 07:35 PM
I would walk on and get my *** kicked everyday in practice.Then get into a real game with everyone chanting my name and then later on in life have a movie made about me.... oh wait that was Rudy

ashley
12/2/2009, 08:23 PM
If OU recruited me, it means they need someone old, small and injury prone. But at least I'm slow!

Jay LENO, hu.

Sooner Eclipse
12/2/2009, 09:13 PM
The thing that strikes me about the Notre Dame fiasco is that with Bob, and now Kelly, turning them down, it becomes even more apparant that the days of Notre Dame being the premiere coaching destination are long gone.

And as far as I'm concerned, good riddance! Welcome to the new world Notre Dame, join a conference and start playing like the rest of the kids.

Now the BCS poobahs need to remove the special ND elgibility rules from the BCS. They are no longer needed since plenty of non BCS schools are getting in nowdays.

MrJimBeam
12/3/2009, 06:52 AM
Unless I've been misinformed, a kid named Bobby Stoops turned down an offer from Notre Dame as well and went to the University of Iowa instead.

A Catholic Kid from Cardinal Moody turns down Notre Dame to play at Iowa? I haven't heard that story. I think Iowa is the only D1 that offered Bob Stoops a chance to play.

cvsooner
12/3/2009, 08:03 PM
Don't know if this has ever seen the light of day here, but it's impressive. This is what recruits see about the school, the coaching staff, the success of the Sooners, current players, academics, etc., etc. It's worth a look.

Especially interesting is the countdown clock at the top: I guess they're looking towards Christmas, is all I can figure. :)

http://soonersports.com/bobstoops/index.html