PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Sports reporting that Murray may bolt.

adoniijahsooner
12/2/2009, 10:11 AM
I think it would be a smart move, especially if he tears it up in the bowl game. This year has shown what type of back Murray is and how tough he runs, and with him being a very good reciever out of the back field he @ least needs to test the waters.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-directsnap12010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

• Look for Oklahoma junior running back DeMarco Murray to test his value in the NFL draft with him likely to leave the Sooners, especially if coach Bob Stoops bolts in the next month, according to a source monitoring the situation. Murray is projected as a late-first round pick by some people and perhaps the third-best running back in the draft despite coming off a subpar season.

My Opinion Matters
12/2/2009, 10:16 AM
Late first-round draft pick? Are these the same geniuses that had Malcolm Kelley as a top 10 pick?

He's a 3rd round guy at best.

SoonerPr8r
12/2/2009, 10:19 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-directsnap12010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Look for Oklahoma junior running back DeMarco Murray to test his value in the NFL draft with him likely to leave the Sooners, especially if coach Bob Stoops bolts in the next month
So people are STILL reporting Bob is leaving?
http://nymeria87.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/facepalm1.jpg
Also I think he has still not proven that he can handle a ton of carries without getting hurt. After every game that he has gotten more than 20 carries a game he seems to be "nicked up" or just off the next week

adoniijahsooner
12/2/2009, 10:19 AM
If he is late first round he should leave. If its only a 3rd, he should stay.

adoniijahsooner
12/2/2009, 10:20 AM
So people are STILL reporting Bob is leaving?
http://nymeria87.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/facepalm1.jpg
Also I think he has still not proven that he can handle a ton of carries without getting hurt. After every game that he has gotten more than 20 carries a game he seems to be "nicked up" or just off the next week

I know that is stupid. I mean the Bob leaving stuff.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/2/2009, 10:21 AM
This discussion came up awhile back and I'm pretty sure the general consensus was he was at best a 3-4 round guy. If they base part of this on Stoops' departure, well we all know he's taken care of this rumor. If for some reason he can get round 1-2 money.......I say go for it. Our future at tailback looks pretty bright with the guys we have and those coming in. Although it'd be nice to have a bit more experience in the backfield.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 10:22 AM
I think he should go no matter what, because I don't think he can improve his status beyond what it is now...Improving his status would mean playing a healthy season and being able to carry the bulk of the load, 2 things Im not sure he can do.

adoniijahsooner
12/2/2009, 10:22 AM
This discussion came up awhile back and I'm pretty sure the general consensus was he was at best a 3-4 round guy. If they base part of this on Stoops' departure, well we all know he's taken care of this rumor. If for some reason he can get round 1-2 money.......I say go for it. Our future at tailback looks pretty bright with the guys we have and those coming in. Although it'd be nice to have a bit more experience in the backfield.

Running back is the one position that can shine without much exp.

adoniijahsooner
12/2/2009, 10:24 AM
I think he should go no matter what, because I don't think he can improve his status beyond what it is now...Improving his status would mean playing a healthy season and being able to carry the bulk of the load, 2 things Im not sure he can do.

The NFL has change to a multiple back league. Even AD dont get near the carries he got in college, which may be why he is blowing everyone away. I see him being a change of pace back.

badger
12/2/2009, 10:27 AM
About 100 guys are projected as first round picks every year... by Mel Kiper, of course.

Please, Sooner football players - do the math and realize that not all 100 of you projected to be taken in the "mid to late first round" cannot possibly be taken in the first round.

...well, unless Miserly Ol' Al of Oakland has his eyes on you.

SoonerMavrick25
12/2/2009, 10:34 AM
As the case for all OU football players .... this pre draft hype is subject to change after 40 yard dashes are ran......

But really you can't fault a kid for wanting to make some money...

He can catch the ball... has some decent moves... I am guessing that he can pass protect... Looks like a nfl third down back to me.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 10:42 AM
The NFL has change to a multiple back league. Even AD dont get near the carries he got in college, which may be why he is blowing everyone away. I see him being a change of pace back.

Yeah, but Murray can't even handle the carries in college...the pounding from NFL defenses is a lot more intense than NCAA......

Nobody is going to spend 1st round money on a guy who cant carry the ball a lot

Sooner04
12/2/2009, 10:44 AM
They did for Reggie Bush, and I think Bush's "production" in the NFL is the reason why teams are gunshy on drafting scatbacks like Murray. Third round? Sure, go for it. First? Not a chance.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/2/2009, 10:45 AM
Running back is the one position that can shine without much exp.

I do agree with that. I guess where my only concern would be is when a back has to block. That is usually something developed over the college years and other than that.......I think we'll be just fine if he goes.

NormanPride
12/2/2009, 10:46 AM
I think he should go, too. As much as I would LOVE to have him back - he's a huge part of our offense - I think he would just be losing another year if he came back. He's not going to get any more healthy or fast, so... what's the point in coming back?

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/2/2009, 10:49 AM
I'll be curious to see his 40 time at the combine. Looks like he's lost some of the breakaway speed for sure but def not his quickness. Combine will completely make or break DM's draft status. He really doesn't have much to gain if he comes back so go for it.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 10:51 AM
Take a look at the backs from last season's draft and how much they handled
1st round
1. Moreno...A lot of carries
2. Donald Brown....a ton of carries
3. Wells...the guy was injured more than anyone I've seen, but he still ended up with a lot of yards and only missed a few games....

2nd Round

4. LeSean McCoy....lots of carries

3rd Round

5. Shonn Green...feature back, lots of carries
6. Glenn Coffee...

The list goes on but 2 things.

1. All those guys were feature backs that could carrie the rock a lot.
2. Only 6 rbs taken in the first three rounds..(unless Im missing one)..I would say thats why DM falls into the 4th or later.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 10:53 AM
They did for Reggie Bush, and I think Bush's "production" in the NFL is the reason why teams are gunshy on drafting scatbacks like Murray. Third round? Sure, go for it. First? Not a chance.

Exactly...and I think most would say that Reggie Bush has been a bit of disappointment.. and...

He was guy that can KR, PR, play WR, and RB at the same level at each position...In fact, most scouts felt like he was a better talent at WR than RB...

Bonehead
12/2/2009, 11:01 AM
As the case for all OU football players .... this pre draft hype is subject to change after 40 yard dashes are ran......

But really you can't fault a kid for wanting to make some money...

He can catch the ball... has some decent moves... I am guessing that he can pass protect... Looks like a nfl third down back to me.

I agree that Murray looks like a third down back in the NFL.

When DeMarco came he was clearly a flash and dash runner who made people miss and then out raced them down the field. But now after putting on some pounds and being coached to use his power more he looks to me like he's caught between and can't figure out what kind of runner he is.

I'd love to see him get back to being a back who kept defensive players on their heels, afraid to take him on for fear they'd be left grabbing nothing but air.

If he can go make some money, he should go. Looks like Calhoun is going to be ready next year to fill his shoes.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/2/2009, 11:19 AM

I definitely see Murray filling a Reggie Bush type role in the NFL. Reggie's proven to not be No 2 worthy but he's still a big weopon in the Saints attack. Actually, Murray should be better than Bush because he will actually run it between the tackles. I think Murray would be a good addition to the Patriots. Now what round teams are looking for that kind of player, I don't know.

Collier11
12/2/2009, 11:26 AM
Exactly...and I think most would say that Reggie Bush has been a bit of disappointment.. and...

He was guy that can KR, PR, play WR, and RB at the same level at each position...In fact, most scouts felt like he was a better talent at WR than RB...

See this is what I dont get, disappointing in what aspect? The guy has been an explosive return guy when back there, one of their leading receivers, and has averaged over 1200 all purpose yds per season coming into this year as well as 8 tds a year.

Now I really thought he would be able to be a big time rusher, getting over 1000 yds easily and in that aspect he has been a disappointment but he is still producing quite a bit for them

Collier11
12/2/2009, 11:29 AM
with what ive seen out of Calhoun and Miller and with Finch and Clay coming in, I think we will be ok but I would prefer he comes back

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 11:38 AM
75 yards a game average when you play all those positions isn't much

Edit: Its more than that because he has only played one full season.....bu still factoring in return yards, he should have more than that.....

badger
12/2/2009, 11:38 AM
Someone should tell those ****tards that Murray had a friend whom worked at that particular Yahoo Sports. It had nothing to do with the program. Just two stupid kids - one is a hanger on , the other is an athlete that showed some potential for stardom. end of story.

...wrong thread? :O

Sooner04
12/2/2009, 11:42 AM

Edit: Its more than that because he has only played one full season.....bu still factoring in return yards, he should have more than that.....
Especially for 2nd pick money. Look how good the Saints "O" was on Monday night without Bush. Didn't miss a beat.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 11:42 AM
See this is what I dont get, disappointing in what aspect? The guy has been an explosive return guy when back there, one of their leading receivers, and has averaged over 1200 all purpose yds per season coming into this year as well as 8 tds a year.

Now I really thought he would be able to be a big time rusher, getting over 1000 yds easily and in that aspect he has been a disappointment but he is still producing quite a bit for them

Just to tell you how unimpressive his all purpose yards are, Leon Washington from the Jets had over 2300 yards last year...

Collier11
12/2/2009, 11:45 AM
Yea he def wasnt #2 worthy and because of that he is a disappointment, my only point was that he is a pretty good nfl player, not great by any means but pretty good.

What is unfortunate for him is I remember that MNF game last yr where he looked like the old Reggie, had two punt returns for TD and looked explosive, then he got hurt again

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 11:48 AM
yup, I remember that game...It looked like somebody shot him out of a cannon on those returns......

For a number 2, a big disappointment...The GM for the Texans took a beating in the media for taking mario williams instead

Sooner in Tampa
12/2/2009, 11:50 AM
According to the Saints Reggie is not worth $8 million he is due next yr...so he will be playing somewhere else...I don't think that makes him "overrated", it just means he's not worth that much money to them...but I have a feeling with an uncapped year coming...someone will pay him just about that much

Collier11
yep I remember that

Sooner in Tampa
The GM for the Texans took a beating in the media for taking mario williams instead Personally, I would rather have Mario Williams anyway

Collier11
12/2/2009, 11:52 AM

He has played in 38 games in the previous 3 years, that gives him an avg of 96 yards per game

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/2/2009, 11:53 AM
the problem is cj spiller though. he is a better fit for that reggie bush role than murray.

however, i'm with step on this one. if they think he can sneak into the first day he should go. the problem is that he has a lot of baggage that is going to weigh him down at the next level -> history of injuries at OU, OU player injuries in the NFL, system fit, etc. the biggest one is going to be that he most resembles tatum bell whose type of game just didn't translate to the NFL.

Octavian
12/2/2009, 11:55 AM
• Look for Oklahoma junior running back DeMarco Murray to test his value in the NFL draft with him likely to leave the Sooners, especially if coach Bob Stoops bolts in the next month, according to a source monitoring the situation. Murray is projected as a late-first round pick by some people and perhaps the third-best running back in the draft despite coming off a subpar season.

had just about enough of these 'sources' this week....

Sooner04
12/2/2009, 11:58 AM
What is unfortunate for him is I remember that MNF game last yr where he looked like the old Reggie, had two punt returns for TD and looked explosive, then he got hurt again
That MNF football game was against Minnesota, who were as bad on special teams as any NFL squad I can remember (including the 2009 Steelers).

And Now This...... (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/130230-saints-to-dump-bush-in-2010?eref=sihp)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 12:12 PM
the problem is cj spiller though. he is a better fit for that reggie bush role than murray.

however, i'm with step on this one. if they think he can sneak into the first day he should go. the problem is that he has a lot of baggage that is going to weigh him down at the next level -> history of injuries at OU, OU player injuries in the NFL, system fit, etc. the biggest one is going to be that he most resembles tatum bell whose type of game just didn't translate to the NFL.

Depending on the health and 40 time of Best, Spiller is the only first round back I see

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 12:23 PM
Unless the Stanford horse runs a faster than suspected 40...

I also like Ryan Matthews from Fresno State as somebody who could move up quickly

Scott D
12/2/2009, 12:28 PM
fwiw, Tatum Bell's biggest problem was that his sticky fingers never translated to on the field...

thank you, I'll be here all week.

badger
had just about enough of these 'sources' this week....

We're dying the grass on our field crimson next season. A source told me.

rawlingsHOH

I'd be SHOCKED!

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 12:29 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I will give yall both of my testicles if he is drafted in the first round

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/2/2009, 12:29 PM
Unless the Stanford horse runs a faster than suspected 40...

I also like Ryan Matthews from Fresno State as somebody who could move up quickly

i just don't see too many running backs in the first round this year. there aren't a lot of teams in dire need of a running back with the emergence this year of a lot of retreads like cedric benson.

the teams at the bottom - seattle, indy, arizona, san diego - all have other needs and this is looking to be a bumper crop of talent coming out.

btw, step i used to hate the nfl. gah.

Scott D
12/2/2009, 12:31 PM
I've got a feeling that the first round this year is likely to be at least 75% defensive players....just a gut feeling.

JLEW1818
I see Ryan Mallett being the **** in the NFL

that is all

Breadburner
Mistake.....

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 12:32 PM
I've got a feeling that the first round this year is likely to be at least 75% defensive players....just a gut feeling.

my buddy Walter has some interesting predictions..... I can't agree with him on some of them..

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

Scott D
12/2/2009, 12:36 PM
there's a lot I can't agree with him on

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 12:40 PM
he is predicting 5 qbs in the first round.... no way!

Scott D
12/2/2009, 12:41 PM
that's as unlikely as travis lewis in the first round.

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 12:42 PM
here is another one

http://newnfldraft.com/

Scott D
12/2/2009, 12:45 PM
his reasoning for quite a few of those picks is quite silly.

Sooner in Tampa
12/2/2009, 12:45 PM
here is another one

http://newnfldraft.com/
This one is worse...NO WAY the Buccaneers draft an Offensive Lineman in the first round...O-Line is the ONLY bright spot for our miserable 1 win season

No way in hell Sam is the first pick in the draft

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 12:46 PM
still lots of Jrs to make big decisions

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 12:54 PM
i just don't see too many running backs in the first round this year. there aren't a lot of teams in dire need of a running back with the emergence this year of a lot of retreads like cedric benson.

the teams at the bottom - seattle, indy, arizona, san diego - all have other needs and this is looking to be a bumper crop of talent coming out.

btw, step i used to hate the nfl. gah.

I don't see any top 15 backs...Spiller one of those guys may go off around 22-25 as the 1st rb taken...

What's funny is I used to hate it, especially right after free agency started....

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2009, 01:53 PM
I assume DM will at least gather draft feedback. I think he would have done that last year if he hadn't been injured. Now he is a 4 year player with a lot of positives from an NFL point of view (size, strength, can catch). I don't know about his pass protection ability, but his size would help him there and he seems to be coachable. The big question is can he improve his stock by coming back and I don't see it. Just another year of wear and tear that could be done in the NFL while getting paid.

rawlingsHOH
12/2/2009, 02:10 PM
I assume DM will at least gather draft feedback. I think he would have done that last year if he hadn't been injured. Now he is a 4 year player with a lot of positives from an NFL point of view (size, strength, can catch). I don't know about his pass protection ability, but his size would help him there and he seems to be coachable. The big question is can he improve his stock by coming back and I don't see it. Just another year of wear and tear that could be done in the NFL while getting paid.

It's a strength, and a good thing, as I probably see him as a 3rd down guy at the next level.

Theskipster
12/2/2009, 02:10 PM
Murray has already said he will request draft feedback, and if he is expected to be drafted high then he will go ahead and go, otherwise he stays. He wants to stay at OU, but he won't pass up the money of a high draft pick.

Collier11
12/2/2009, 02:16 PM
I think he could fit the role of a Darren Sproles with his return ability and catching ability, maybe not quite as explosive but there is still alot of money to be made there

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 03:48 PM
I think he could fit the role of a Darren Sproles with his return ability and catching ability, maybe not quite as explosive but there is still alot of money to be made there

yah, not nearly as explosive

I'm willing to put money on it that DM will run over a 4.55 at the combine... I'm thinking he is a 4.63ish

badger
12/2/2009, 04:01 PM
Murray has already said he will request draft feedback, and if he is expected to be drafted high then he will go ahead and go, otherwise he stays. He wants to stay at OU, but he won't pass up the money of a high draft pick.

I know DM hasn't won the Heisman, but it would break my heart to see another Sooner bypass the draft out of team loyalty only to end up injury for most/all of the season like Sammie or Jermaine.

tanjou
12/2/2009, 04:07 PM
Murray won't go very high in the draft. He'd benefit more from coming back and hopefully being injury free, showing some improvement, especially in the speed department.

As it stands, teams are going to be too worried about his health.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:10 PM

This...

goingoneight
12/2/2009, 04:11 PM
Two knee surgeries in three years time will put him on the back burner. But as stated above, how much better can DM get? If he's given more oppurtunities without Brown in the way nest year he'd only *look* better, mostly because of stats.

Collier11
12/2/2009, 04:22 PM
This...

This...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:22 PM
one more year of taking hits, potential inuries....

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:23 PM
This...

I know, right?

Collier11
12/2/2009, 04:23 PM
I know, right?

I know, right?

Collier11
12/2/2009, 04:24 PM
one more year of taking hits, potential inuries....

My guess would be the only thing that could actually help him is to play a full season without getting hurt(unlikely) and have a huge year, 1500 yds rushing or something like that

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 04:25 PM
This...

This...

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 04:26 PM
My guess would be the only thing that could actually help him is to play a full season without getting hurt(unlikely) and have a huge year, 1500 yds rushing or something like that

I still think the QB and RB position should be open.. Yes DM has proved himself... but if Calhoun can give similar production, why not let him take over? b/c he is the future...

thoughts?

Clay, Finch?.... RS??? I'm sure one of them will

Collier11
12/2/2009, 04:27 PM
Im sure one of them will RS and the other will waste a year getting 10 carries, lol

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 04:28 PM
and what is up with Madu ??? LOL

We thought he was just gonna fit right in......

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:30 PM
This...

This...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:33 PM

Lets play the Dean Blevins percentage game...Just how likely is this scenario?

I would say below 10

Collier11
12/2/2009, 04:35 PM

I would say below 10

I would say below 10

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:35 PM

I would say below 10

c11 likes boys

Collier11
12/2/2009, 04:36 PM
Jlew likes boys

Jlew likes boys

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:38 PM
c11 ran ck off because he touched him inappropriately

Collier11
12/2/2009, 04:40 PM
Step ran CK off because he used his teeth too much whilst fallating

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:41 PM
I know, right?

Collier11
12/2/2009, 04:42 PM

I know, right?

This...

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 04:47 PM
lol, CK also said that Trent Williams ran a 4.7

HA

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:48 PM
he said you had a large **** also

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 04:49 PM
Mrs. STEP said that??? oh really

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 04:50 PM
LOL.....

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 04:52 PM
LOL.....

this...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2009, 05:01 PM
this...

tHIS

Collier11
12/2/2009, 05:04 PM
tHIS

ThIs!...

JLEW1818
12/2/2009, 05:06 PM
yep

sooner59
12/2/2009, 05:20 PM
Could you imagine New England's offense with a 4-wide set including Moss, Welker, Shipley, and Briscoe? Crap.

I think New England should worry about their defense more than anything.

Scott D
12/2/2009, 05:47 PM
I bet one of those four would be benched for fumbling.

picasso
12/2/2009, 06:21 PM

At 218lbs. Murray is considered a scatback?

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2009, 06:29 PM

That's what I was wondering. DM is a pretty big and powerful guy and hard to compare to other backs. Maybe like a Steve Slaton or Joseph Addai - guys that are integral to the passing game.

soonerborn30
12/2/2009, 11:52 PM
If Murray comes back he'll just have to split carries with Calhoun, just like he's doing now. He should be happy if he's drafted at all.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2009, 12:26 AM
If Murray comes back he'll just have to split carries with Calhoun, just like he's doing now. He should be happy if he's drafted at all.

If I bet on sports, I'd take that one. DM will do well in the draft (and I hope that is the 2011 draft).

SoonerSinger3
12/3/2009, 03:19 AM
Yeah, but Murray can't even handle the carries in college...the pounding from NFL defenses is a lot more intense than NCAA......

Okay. Demarco's first injury at OU was a serious turf toe that happend in '06 when he redshirted. He probably plays that year without the injury.

His 2nd major injury was a patella(kneecap) injury on a fluke onside kick play against '07 against Texas Tech.

3rd injury was another fluke special teams play where he got hit against Mizzou on the opening kickoff last December.

So when you say "murray can't even handle the carries in college", that's really not true. Unless a minor hammy in practice, he has NEVER been injured on a traditional rush play. So the guy has simply had bad/fluke luck. Now, I know he has been seriously injured all the same, but to be specific he has handled the carries in college w/o problems. ;)

Widescreen
12/3/2009, 08:14 AM
So when you say "murray can't even handle the carries in college", that's really not true. Unless a minor hammy in practice, he has NEVER been injured on a traditional rush play. So the guy has simply had bad/fluke luck. Now, I know he has been seriously injured all the same, but to be specific he has handled the carries in college w/o problems. ;)

No, he does get injured during carries. He's gotten dinged 2 or 3 times so far this year from carries. It happened when he did the front flip into the end zone (shoulder). He also got hurt during the Texas game I believe and had to miss some time.

I wish he hadn't turned into this physical bruising back because it seems he's made of, if not glass, fine china.

adoniijahsooner
12/3/2009, 08:23 AM
No, he does get injured during carries. He's gotten dinged 2 or 3 times so far this year from carries. It happened when he did the front flip into the end zone (shoulder). He also got hurt during the Texas game I believe and had to miss some time.

I wish he hadn't turned into this physical bruising back because it seems he's made of, if not glass, fine china.

http://grandcentralcomics.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/unbreakable.jpg

Okie35
12/3/2009, 08:40 AM

He doesn't get that many carries because Chester Taylor is a good back too. You're right about the multiple backs though. If Demarco leaves then I wish him the best. It's not like we don't have other backs to fill the spot, well if he leaves. If he stays, he knows he is welcome.

Okie35
12/3/2009, 08:46 AM

Yea he had a hurt ankle and missed the Kansas game. As far as the draft I think he's a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

Collier11
12/3/2009, 09:56 AM
He doesn't get that many carries because Chester Taylor is a good back too. You're right about the multiple backs though. If Demarco leaves then I wish him the best. It's not like we don't have other backs to fill the spot, well if he leaves. If he stays, he knows he is welcome.

AD doesnt typically get 30 carries a game because they want him to last longer than 5 years, luckily for them Chester is good enough to do that

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 09:59 AM
Okay. Demarco's first injury at OU was a serious turf toe that happend in '06 when he redshirted. He probably plays that year without the injury.

His 2nd major injury was a patella(kneecap) injury on a fluke onside kick play against '07 against Texas Tech.

3rd injury was another fluke special teams play where he got hit against Mizzou on the opening kickoff last December.

Ok, Where is the proof that he can handle the load then? And who is to say that he would have played that first season healthy?

Fluke injuries are injuries. It just so happens that he has the most carries in a game this year, and he gets hurt in the next...

rawlingsHOH
12/3/2009, 11:13 AM
Demarco has a very lean frame. He may be up to 218, but I'm guessing a lot of that is manufactured weight. There are guys with big natural frames, and then there are guys who can lift and eat their way to a certain number. But the body doesn't lie. You are who you are. Murray's constant struggles with injury, and rumors of "losing a step", attests to this.

rawlingsHOH
12/3/2009, 11:24 AM

In addition...

Missed most of Mizzou and Iowa State 07 with ankle injury.

Missed KU, and in and out of Texas 09 with ankle injury.

Fortunately, his major injuries occured at the end of seasons. So total playing time lost, wasn't as significant.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/3/2009, 11:59 AM
Yea he had a hurt ankle and missed the Kansas game. As far as the draft I think he's a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

the NFL draft is impossible to predict at this point. yes, murray could be a 2nd/3rd rounder, he could be a 6th rounder, heck he could end up as a UFA.

these are the things we know at this point -

negatives

this draft is very top heavy with talent. there are quite a few players that literally have franchise type talent that you could take at the top of the draft - mays, suh, mccoy, gresham, bradford, okung.

there aren't a lot of NFL teams that need running backs this year. as stated before, there are a lot of NFL retreads that have had some pretty good years this year.

positives

there aren't a lot of elite running backs coming out this year

unknowns

what we don't know is whether we are going to have a lot of juniors/rs sophomores come out that are going to stack the draft even deeper.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2009, 12:41 PM
We do know that the NFL uses lots of backs because the injury rate is high. We also know RB is one position where rookies can contribute right away. A huge plus for rookie backs is the ability to pass protect and catch passes - DM can do that.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 12:55 PM
the NFL draft is impossible to predict at this point. yes, murray could be a 2nd/3rd rounder, he could be a 6th rounder, heck he could end up as a UFA.

these are the things we know at this point -

negatives

this draft is very top heavy with talent. there are quite a few players that literally have franchise type talent that you could take at the top of the draft - mays, suh, mccoy, gresham, bradford, okung.

there aren't a lot of NFL teams that need running backs this year. as stated before, there are a lot of NFL retreads that have had some pretty good years this year.

positives

there aren't a lot of elite running backs coming out this year

unknowns

what we don't know is whether we are going to have a lot of juniors/rs sophomores come out that are going to stack the draft even deeper.

Exactly, thats why projections either way don't mean much...If he declared and had a warrior workout, then the sky is the limit...The important thing would be that he fairs well in the interviews and gets a solid 40...and demonstrates soft hands in receiving hands in drills

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 01:58 PM
Right now I would take if they declare and run about what I expect them too..

1. CJ Spiller
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Anthony Dixon
4. Jonathan Dwyer
5. Toby Gerhart
6. Jahvid Best(depending on health)
7. DeMarco
8. Damien Fletcher
9. William Ford (South Carolina state back)
10. Reggie Arnold

sooner59
12/3/2009, 02:36 PM
Jaquizz Rodgers at Oregon St. would be interesting when he decides to go.

No Mark Ingram? Not that I disagree.

Gerhart = Mike Alstott???? maybe...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 03:08 PM
Is Ingram a redshirt soph?

JLEW1818
12/3/2009, 03:09 PM
nope true soph

Scott D
12/3/2009, 03:12 PM

I just wanted to highlight this to say that Bush is going to be cut in the offseason whether there is a salary cap or not.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2009, 03:14 PM
Jaquizz Rodgers at Oregon St. would be interesting when he decides to go.

No Mark Ingram? Not that I disagree.

Gerhart = Mike Alstott???? maybe...

According to my source(jlew) Ingram isn't draft eligible

Collier11
12/3/2009, 03:41 PM
fawk that, im certain now that Ingram is probably a 5th yr senior

Scott D
12/3/2009, 03:47 PM
fawk that, im certain now that Ingram is probably a 5th yr senior

a 5th year high schooler moonlighting as a running back in the SEC...man they're that good. ;)

VA Sooner
12/3/2009, 09:08 PM
This will be his moment to shine... his first bowl game since he was hurt (knee in the Fiesta, hamstring for the national championship game).

Good to have him in a bowl game.