PDA

View Full Version : George W. Bush, Barack Obama & Afghanistan

JohnnyMack
12/1/2009, 03:52 PM
A recent report by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (read it here: http://foreign.senate.gov/) claims the U.S. missed an opportunity to kill or capture OBL in the Tora Bora region of Afghanistan in late 2001.

Of course this parallels the work of "Dalton Fury" who wrote the book, Kill Bin Laden: http://www.daltonfury.com/

Here's a video from 60 Minutes that aired last October detailing the mission:

mmtPBTybQ9k

I realize the partisan hacks are about to play hot potato with this situation and dump it in Obama's lap. I guess my question is, now that BHO is increasing troop levels in Afghanistan and takes ownership of this conflict, what will GWB's legacy be in all this? I've long been an opponent of the war in Iraq and have always wondered why more wasn't done to eliminate the head of the al Qaeda snake.

WILBURJIM
12/1/2009, 04:34 PM
I remember when "Tora Bora" was happening and the news reports were saying there is a hold up in the bombing for some negotiations to take place.
I remember thinking, this is not good, it's just a ruse to let OBL escape. "Dalton's" book and Gary Berntsen's book Jawbreaker will leave you shaking your head at what should have been. Two more books that are quite informative are: "Ghost Wars" by Stephen Coll and "First In" by Gary Schroen.
Legacy? Pfft

swardboy
12/1/2009, 05:15 PM
And Clinton didn't take the Sudanese up on their offer to give us Bin Laden in the 1990's.........yawn.

BermudaSooner
12/1/2009, 05:17 PM
I realize the partisan hacks are about to play hot potato with this situation and dump it in Obama's lap. I guess my question is, now that BHO is increasing troop levels in Afghanistan and takes ownership of this conflict, what will GWB's legacy be in all this? I've long been an opponent of the war in Iraq and have always wondered why more wasn't done to eliminate the head of the al Qaeda snake.

Dump it in his lap? When you run for President and win, every problem becomes yours. You may want to sit back and blame all of the problems on another administration (true or not), but it shows a real lack of leadership to do so. "..now that BHO ....takes owners of this conflict.."--like it or not, he's had ownership since January. He is the frigan President. Ignoring problems because they can be blamed on someone else is much more partisan than any attacks he will get.

Clinton missed Bin Laden on at least 2 occasions. At one point he said Bin Laden was offered to the US the Sudanese, but we turned down the offer. I believe Clinton has revised this statement since--something about the definition of the word "is" or something. I don't recall GWB sitting back and saying, "well all of that was Clinton's fault, so I'll ignore it, or take 3 months to consult about it while our troops are in harms way and need support."

As for GWB's legacy, I suppose it depends on who writes the books and who's telling the story. We will never know what fate would have befallen the US had we ignored Saddam's lunacy. Maybe nothing. Maybe N. Korea would have thought we were being pussies and gotten even more aggressive. Maybe Quadafi, rather than becoming a much better guy when he sees the consequences, would have set up terrorist Disney Worlds. Who knows.

I think you can only judge the Iraq War by going back, looking at the choices GWB had at the time and making one of those. Unfortunately you don't know the outcome of any of the other choices.

JohnnyMack
12/1/2009, 05:35 PM
As for GWB's legacy, I suppose it depends on who writes the books and who's telling the story. We will never know what fate would have befallen the US had we ignored Saddam's lunacy. Maybe nothing. Maybe N. Korea would have thought we were being pussies and gotten even more aggressive. Maybe Quadafi, rather than becoming a much better guy when he sees the consequences, would have set up terrorist Disney Worlds. Who knows.

Ummm, the guy the who wrote the book and is telling the story is the Delta Force commander who claims he didn't have the ability and/or resources to take OBL out.

The rest of your neocon rhetoric is formulaic and predictable. I'm sure Ayn Rand would be proud of your stand on personal responsibility.

okiewaker
12/1/2009, 06:25 PM
And Clinton didn't take the Sudanese up on their offer to give us Bin Laden in the 1990's.........yawn.

:pop:

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2009, 09:49 AM
I realize the partisan hacks are about to play hot potato with this situation and dump it in Obama's lap. I guess my question is, now that BHO is increasing troop levels in Afghanistan and takes ownership of this conflict, what will GWB's legacy be in all this? I've long been an opponent of the war in Iraq and have always wondered why more wasn't done to eliminate the head of the al Qaeda snake.Its a report by John F. Kerry, so its probably total bullshiat.

Tommy Franks lives here in Oklahoma, and I had a chance to hear him talk about it. Interesting stuff.

Long story short, Franks thinks Osama is dead, and died in KOS.

JohnnyMack
12/2/2009, 10:56 AM
Its a report by John F. Kerry, so its probably total bullshiat.

What about Dalton Fury? Cause he's been saying the same thing. You must think he's lying too.

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2009, 11:16 AM
Never read his book, or ever heard of him, so I can't say about Dalton Fury, but I do know thousands of other folks were involved in that operation, and only a handful of partisan hacks such as yourself seem intent on trying to place blame of those evil neoKKKons.

That said, losing a guy in a mountain range while a bombing operation is going on is a lot different than just ignoring Bin Laden and telling Sudan no to turning him over, as Bill Clinton did.

I'm guessing John F. Kerry's report doesn't mention much about Clinton f'king us over on that deal.

JohnnyMack
12/2/2009, 11:29 AM
Never read his book, or ever heard of him, so I can't say about Dalton Fury, but I do know thousands of other folks were involved in that operation, and only a handful of partisan hacks such as yourself seem intent on trying to place blame of those evil neoKKKons.

That said, losing a guy in a mountain range while a bombing operation is going on is a lot different than just ignoring Bin Laden and telling Sudan no to turning him over, as Bill Clinton did.

I'm guessing John F. Kerry's report doesn't mention much about Clinton f'king us over on that deal.

I'll show you my voter registration card if you'll show me yours. Mine says Independent and has for 15+ years. I'm doubting yours says anything other than R. You calling me a partisan hack is the ultimate in irony.

And if you're too ****ing stupid to see that our overall foreign policy towards the middle east is and has been a giant pile of **** for the better part 5 decades then I'm sure screeching things like "Clinton" and, "Only 30,000 troops???!? Mock indignation!!!!!" will help you sleep better.

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2009, 01:59 PM
Ahh, so now your pretending to be unpartisan??? I've never claimed to be anything other than what I am, a conservative.

Ironic since you openly confessed your love and support for Dear Leader Obama, the most partisan hack of a President in history.

But seriously, its hard not to laugh when a Liberal such as yourself is worried about spending $30 Billion on national security and fighting to win a war, when Obama literally spent twice that last month.

JohnnyMack
12/2/2009, 02:23 PM
You're a white bread, suburban neo-con. No more. No less.

C&CDean
12/2/2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah, well you're a poopy face.

soonerhubs
12/2/2009, 03:11 PM
Last time I checked, I thought I saw JM questioning the whole "rush to get the health care bill passed" mantra. So I'm thinking he's not proposing "love" for Mr. President. Believe it or not, I voted for W, but disagreed with many things he did.

You do realize, people, that it's okay to disagree with folks you like and agree with those you hate. Why do you think married folks get along so well? ;) :) :D ;)

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2009, 04:19 PM
So I'm thinking he's not proposing "love" for Mr. President.Given The Ditherer's poll numbers today, it appears many of the Obamatons are having some major "buyers remorse" like JM over the socialized heath care plan, the carbon tax, porkulus, etc.

BTW, I heard he mentioned the world "I" in his speech over 40 times, and only mentioned "Victory" less than 1 time (which would be zero for those liberals reading this). I think that tells you all you need to know about this guy.

soonerinabilene
12/2/2009, 06:12 PM
if a guy is named dalton fury, you listen to him. freakin roadhouse and nick fury in one guy? yeah, hes gonna be right. even if hes wrong.