PDA

View Full Version : Stoops and Company excited about the future recruits per Star-telegram.

adoniijahsooner
12/1/2009, 03:11 PM
Bob and the staff appear to be pretty excited about what's coming in next year. Also, the mention of a west coast trip to seal the deal on a couple of kids should make some of us who follow these things excited about getting a couple of blue chippers(Stills and Jefferson). Talk of this being Stoops best recruiting class in his 11 years is being thrown around. If you have been paying attention then you know that this class has a different feel than some of the previous ones.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1800728.html

By MIKE JONES

[email protected]

Considering what he’s been facing out there in rumor land during a most crucial time for the future of the program, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops on Monday did the best thing he could have done to ensure the promise of February’s recruiting class by firmly stating, "I’m going to be at Oklahoma next year."

Stoops further contended that the Notre Dame rumors have not been a problem.

"In the end," he said, "the players I’m recruiting understand what I’m excited about, and what I intend to do. I couldn’t be more excited and pleased about what we’re doing here and what the future holds."

By all accounts, this could be a recruiting class to remember. Emphasis on "could be" because, of course, you never know.

And what coach is not optimistic about recruiting? But Stoops leaves no doubt as to how he felt when he and his staff began to hit the trail Sunday.

"We’re in great shape with a bunch of great guys already and several other excellent ones still working," he said. "It’s as good as at any time we’ve been here. Probably as good as we’ve ever had to this point."

That’s interesting, and may be more than just coachspeak in light of a conversation I had Saturday night.

I happened to spend some time at dinner talking with one of Bob’s assistants. Who it was isn’t important one way or the other. What he said is, especially as it pertains to Stoops’ subsequent take Monday on the subject of recruiting.

This guy said he was physically whipped and understandably looked it. His immediate intent was to head for the house and hit the sack. That said, he nevertheless volunteered how pumped he was about getting on a flight to one of the coasts Sunday afternoon to begin the nailing-down process for the February signing date.

It was his opinion that OU was poised to sign "the best class we’ve had in 11 years." His inference was that it was loaded with offensive linemen and remarkable skill players, which should be hailed by Sooners fans after this season.

What should be the obvious footnote is that if this incoming class matches expectations, it would follow what most believe is a really good group already on campus.

"I like ’em," Stoops said. "They’ve been a good group overall. There’s a lot of potential there."

Those guys will get a lot of work in coming practice sessions before OU tries to shake that bowl-game monkey long riding piggyback. And, of course, one of the more interesting developments during the off-season is the continuing education of quarterback Landry Jones, whose main shortcoming is that he isn’t Sam Bradford.

If it hasn’t yet dawned, Bradford was one of those who simply don’t come around very often. He, too, had his rookie-season moments when he locked onto a receiver or didn’t get all the way through his reads. But he may be the most accurate young quarterback I’ve seen in 40 years of covering college football.

Jason White could chunk it deep on a dime, but from my vantage point he couldn’t match Bradford’s innate ability to put it where the other guy can’t get it. Anywhere.

To compare Sam’s first year to Landry’s is milk to orange juice — Sam had an offensive line most of whom now draw NFL paychecks and receivers named Iglesias, Johnson and Kelly. Let’s just say Jones didn’t.

But in both on- and off-the-record conversations, OU’s staff has been firm that Jones will take big steps during the off-season and that redshirt Drew Allen will get his chance to show what he can do, although it’s going to be awfully hard to replace the line-of-fire education Jones has received.

"There were a few spots where [Jones] could have handled it better," Stoops said. "We understand that. But he made good progress and we’re pleased with it, and he will continue to improve."

And one of the committed — quarterback Blake Bell — may signal a new direction, a pass-and-run guy as opposed to the pro-style guys OU has featured during Stoops’ tenure, which doesn’t appear to be over in any sense.

Mike Jones, 817-390-7760

delhalew
12/1/2009, 03:17 PM
Sweet

rainiersooner
12/1/2009, 03:19 PM
Sounds good! The future remains bright.

adoniijahsooner
12/1/2009, 03:23 PM
I'm hearing that he is supposed to be at Stills home tomorrow visiting with Stills, jefferson, and Brennan Clay. Coincidently, it's being reported that Stills will announce hos decision tomorrow; so unless he wants to tell bob face to face that he wants to be a gator then I think we have him. It's all speculation, but we'll see what happens.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 03:31 PM
Man I hope we get Stills and Jefferson. That would be awesome.

KantoSooner
12/1/2009, 04:18 PM
How about we just sign an entire class of 6'9", 350lb, 4.1 second forty guys who can catch and have a visceral hatred of anyone not wearing crimson and cream?

I mean, what could be hard about that?

Oh, academic all americans, too. Forgot that.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 04:25 PM
How about we just sign an entire class of 6'9", 350lb, 4.1 second forty guys who can catch and have a visceral hatred of anyone not wearing crimson and cream?

I mean, what could be hard about that?

Oh, academic all americans, too. Forgot that.

Did Switzer do that once? I mean other than the academic stuff... ;)

NOVSooner
12/1/2009, 04:30 PM
man this is exciting news (for a change)! you look at the potential of last year's class on the defensive side of the ball paired with what LOOKS like a good group of offensive guys and skill players and man i'm ready to see what's in store. just checking, but is there any word on jeffcoat?

swardboy
12/1/2009, 04:48 PM
Light......

IronHorseSooner
12/1/2009, 05:21 PM
If Stills does commit to us v. FLA, does that mean he will no longer be considered fast, because he won't be in the SEC. You know, because all of the speed in college football comes from the SEC!

Funky G
12/1/2009, 06:02 PM
Scout.com will immediately downgrade an OU recruit upon signing..

NOVSooner
12/1/2009, 08:30 PM
Scout.com will immediately downgrade an OU recruit upon signing..

^ Everytime^

ashley
12/1/2009, 08:42 PM
Stoops is in San Diego recruiting at this minute. He has a home visit tonite. This sounds good to me.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 08:44 PM
I like the fact that the visit is at Still's house, and Jefferson (on the fence), and Clay (OU commit!) will also be there.

I say they all agree to a pact to stay together and become Sooners and vow to win a title. Just sayin....

OU44life
12/1/2009, 08:59 PM
I like the fact that the visit is at Still's house, and Jefferson (on the fence), and Clay (OU commit!) will also be there.

I say they all agree to a pact to stay together and become Sooners and vow to win a title. Just sayin....

I'll bet your left nut they all commit together or close to each other! alright, i'll bet mine too, but I just know they believe in OU and each other! I've been following the three of them for a long time and it really seems to be a done deal and just their announcement is next. Mark my words...this class and the studs that are with us, will bring us back to the promised land. The term, Big Game Bob, will ring true again, and Miles, Saban, Carol(sp?), Meyers, and Brownstain will taste the pain! Everything is circular........

MichiganSooner
12/1/2009, 10:20 PM
This sounds good.

SCxxSOONER
12/1/2009, 10:50 PM
Man I hope we get Stills and Jefferson. That would be awesome.

This would be icing on the cake to an already outstanding class

Sooner in Tampa
12/2/2009, 06:53 AM
I'll bet your left nut they all commit together ...
:eek:

You're very generous with your bets ;)

AlbqSooner
12/2/2009, 07:05 AM

So you are taking the bet?:)

Sooner in Tampa
12/2/2009, 07:14 AM
So you are taking the bet?:)
Sure...why not, I am old...I can get by with just one of the boys :cool:

IronHorseSooner
12/2/2009, 07:23 AM
It wouldn't shock me at all that these guys commit together very soon to us. The timing is just too much of a coincidence. However, that means that we would have recruited 4 safeties in this class. I suspect one would move positions, but we have 3 (or 4 if you count McCray as an OLB) LBs in this class already. As for Stills, this is the vertical threat that this team needs. He seems to be in the mold of Manny or Iggy. It also wouldn't shock me that the Loadholt-type OL from Mississippi commits as well. We are the only visit that he has listed, and he must see the opportunity to come in an vie for some playing time. Of the two guys visiting now, I would expect White more than I would Newton. Newton has a chance to go play for his old OC at Miss State, and they just graduated their QB. I still think White ends up here. That would leave one more scholly left, I think.

adoniijahsooner
12/2/2009, 10:37 AM
Well stills says he will make his decision in the next 2 weeks, and Jefferson is down to us and USC.

NormanPride
12/2/2009, 11:14 AM
He said Michigan as well, but he "can't be there" for their home visit tomorrow. Sounds like they're SOL.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/2/2009, 12:06 PM
so out of curiosity, what are you expecting out of the running backs?

brennan clay?

roy finch?

rawlingsHOH
12/2/2009, 12:31 PM

brennan clay?

roy finch?

Big play, multi-purpose, scat-backs are the rumor.

Scott D
12/2/2009, 12:33 PM
I can think of a guy that was recruited as a safety, looked like a safety on his high school film, and people complained that he only made all big 12 second team as a corner.

NormanPride
12/2/2009, 12:36 PM
Brennan Clay is supposed to be the multi-purpose back that Murray is. Roy is the next Trindon Holliday, I think.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/2/2009, 12:42 PM
i just watched their youtube film, clay at full speed runs 38ish yards in 4 seconds which means he isn't going to burn anyone to the end zone in college at his current speed. please note, some kids do get faster when they get on campus (see mark clayton and his 5.0 high school 40).

roy reminds me of de'mond - sudden changes of direction that you just can't react too.

NormanPride
12/2/2009, 01:07 PM
Roy's biggest asset is his acceleration. I don't think he has a high top end, but he's supposed to have really quick acceleration and good moves.

I don't know what to think about Clay... He's really highly regarded and has measurables and does lots of stuff... But I'm just not feeling it. I've been wrong before. I'm more excited about Miller coming back next year. Will he go through spring?

SoonerTank
12/2/2009, 02:15 PM
i just watched their youtube film, clay at full speed runs 38ish yards in 4 seconds which means he isn't going to burn anyone to the end zone in college at his current speed. please note, some kids do get faster when they get on campus (see mark clayton and his 5.0 high school 40).

roy reminds me of de'mond - sudden changes of direction that you just can't react too.

I'm excited about both, but something about Finch makes me think he'll be breaking a few ankles on the opposing teams. He's reminds me of what I think a ghost would be like, you reach out to grab him and he is somewhere else.

sooner59
12/2/2009, 02:19 PM

I saw that. Not sure how much I want other people to have freedom to use my nuts as collateral on a bet. :eek:

okiedokie
12/2/2009, 02:21 PM
great read!!! Boomer Sooner!!!

OU44life
12/2/2009, 02:29 PM
I saw that. Not sure how much I want other people to have freedom to use my nuts as collateral on a bet. :eek:

LOL..I did offer up one of mine as well!

westbrooke
12/2/2009, 03:00 PM
Let me throw another one out there for discussion: Justin McCay. Rhino has him listed at WR, and most of his highlights are from that position and as a returner, but I also see people mention that he might play LB.

I have a hard time believing we wouldn't try him at WR with our current situation and LB depth. But maybe that's just because I love watching him run with the ball - like a hot knife through butter, and the power to shed tacklers too. But that's only based on the one youtube clip I've seen. Who knows what's up with this kid?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/2/2009, 03:33 PM
one of the best strategies to take with high school players is to see if they have the skillset to play multiple positions. the reason is that no one can predict how much weight their frame is going to be able to add.

BillyBall
12/2/2009, 03:37 PM
I'm excited about both, but something about Finch makes me think he'll be breaking a few ankles on the opposing teams. He's reminds me of what I think a ghost would be like, you reach out to grab him and he is somewhere else.

He reminds me of Noel Devine, also because they are just wee little fellas'.

Lawtonsoonerfan01
12/2/2009, 04:22 PM
I can't start a new thread yet, but there is a report that Stoops has already signed a contract with Notre Dame.

cvsooner
12/2/2009, 04:40 PM
Make. It. Stop. Stoops. Is. Not. Leaving.

starrca23
12/2/2009, 04:44 PM
You can't start new threds, but you can read them, or a newspaper, or watch sportcenter...

FaninAma
12/2/2009, 04:59 PM

brennan clay?

roy finch?

Adrian Peterson, Billy Sims, Steve Owens and Joe Washington all rolled into one....errrr, two players.

PDXsooner
12/2/2009, 06:29 PM
i've been following college football pretty closely for a good 25 years and i've yet to hear a coach NOT say he's excited about his recruiting class. they're always full of possibilities. i'm waiting for a coach to say "you know, we really struck out this year and i'm really underwhelmed at the guys we signed."

OU44life
12/2/2009, 07:08 PM
Here's the latest. Still sounding good, after Stoops' visit!

TONY JEFFERSON, S, 6’0, 200, 4.5, CHULA VISTA EASTLAKE, CA

“Oh, it went really well. My parents are telling me how they loved the coaches and how real they are. They connected with us.”