PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ticks Stoops off

badger
12/1/2009, 12:40 PM
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091201_92_0_InSanD57084)

“I don’t know where (Schefter) is getting his information, but it’s wrong,” Stoops said in a telephone interview. “It’s all been wrong.”

NormanPride
12/1/2009, 12:44 PM
This borders on illegal, and Schefter needs to be very careful about documenting his sources. If Coach Stoops wanted to, I bet he could put this guy out of business.

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2009, 12:45 PM
This borders on illegal, and Schefter needs to be very careful about documenting his sources. If Coach Stoops wanted to, I bet he could put this guy out of business.

nahhhhhhh
ESPiN is just the sports version of TMZ and the National Inquirer :pop:

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2009, 12:46 PM
this is similar to their reporting of les going to michigan...KH even after Les said he wasn't going, kept on about it for a while

badger
12/1/2009, 12:46 PM
It really does suck, as that article states, because sh!t like this can hurt recruiting for us.

Hey ESPN! We already had a (sort of) bad season! You don't need to give us two in a row! :mad:

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2009, 12:51 PM
Mack Brown is behind this I tell you...

sooner518
Schefter's twitter: "People I listened to you yesterday about Bob Stoops were wrong. He is not leaving Oklahoma. I'll go back to sticking with NFL now."

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

what an idiot

Blues1
Holiday Bowl Still Possible.......

LINK

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091201_92_B2_Thetea592571

Collier11
12/1/2009, 12:56 PM
Schefter's twitter: "People I listened to you yesterday about Bob Stoops were wrong. He is not leaving Oklahoma. I'll go back to sticking with NFL now."

what an idiot

I posted this in the other thread, I personally just gained respect for him. Very few in that profession ever take responsibility for their actions or words, he realized he screwed up and took ownership of it, im good with that. Sometimes sources lie to you, thats just the way it goes

badger
12/1/2009, 12:57 PM

what an idiot

Oh, now this is gold :D

Seamus
12/1/2009, 12:57 PM
Illegal? No -- no crime or even near crime. Irresponsible? Yes -- poor reporting at best. A "ratings grab."

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 12:58 PM
Guess someone lost their invite to the Stuart Scott House for Christmas.

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2009, 01:01 PM
I posted this in the other thread, I personally just gained respect for him. Very few in that profession ever take responsibility for their actions or words, he realized he screwed up and took ownership of it, im good with that. Sometimes sources lie to you, thats just the way it goes

no no no no no!!!!!

he needs to use the same forum with his retraction that he used with his 'scoop'.

sooner ngintunr
12/1/2009, 01:03 PM
no no no no no!!!!!

he needs to use the same forum with his retraction that he used with his 'scoop'.

yep

Collier11
12/1/2009, 01:03 PM
no no no no no!!!!!

I agree with that, I was just complimenting the fact that he actually admitted that he screwed up when most never do that

badger
12/1/2009, 01:04 PM
True story - Stoops had ESPN blocked in the entire hotel the day before and even the morning of the Nebraska game at the team hotel.

Whether you were a Sooner player or just a Sooner fan, you couldn't see ESPN or ESPN2 in the entire hotel... cept the cocktail lobby, where ESPN2 could be seen... but not ESPN.

I think Stoops really, really detests ESPN. He probably has it permanently blocked in the athlete's dorms too.

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 01:06 PM
True story - Stoops had ESPN blocked in the entire hotel the day before and even the morning of the Nebraska game at the team hotel.

Whether you were a Sooner player or just a Sooner fan, you couldn't see ESPN or ESPN2 in the entire hotel... cept the cocktail lobby, where ESPN2 could be seen... but not ESPN.

I think Stoops really, really detests ESPN. He probably has it permanently blocked in the athlete's dorms too.

FWIW....It's not helping.

badger
12/1/2009, 01:08 PM
FWIW....It's not helping.

I know... and us sports fans really missed our sports news that night/following day :(

Collier11
12/1/2009, 01:08 PM
ESPN just teased an upcoming segment where we will see "what Stoops has to say about the ND situation" I wonder if they will show his pissed off statement regarding Sheffter

beer4me
12/1/2009, 01:19 PM
Holiday Bowl Still Possible.......

LINK

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091201_92_B2_Thetea592571

Man I would love to go back to the Holiday Bowl again.

I would take a extra day or two and go to Escondido and see and ole Navy buddy of mine.

Got to take my wife out there in '05 and show her San Diego but we both were sicker than dogs and didn't get to enjoy it much.

Fraggle145
12/1/2009, 01:22 PM
no no no no no!!!!!

Bingo. :pop: :mad:

badger
12/1/2009, 01:23 PM
Remember back when ESPN ticked Lester off by saying he'd already accepted the Michigan job?

The fun part is that Lester is a proved liar and that he probably had, until LSU waved a paper in his face, saying he better sign it, or he won't be coaching in the SEC title game or bowl game.

Bob Stoops, on the other hand, is not a proven liar. He has been pretty upfront about everything, from player injuries (no sugarcoating AD's collarbone injury - he made it known right after the game at the postgame press conference) and while he's been rumored to be a candidate for a million different jobs, he's stuck with this one, just like he said he would.

TRUST STOOPS!

kelloggOUballa
12/1/2009, 01:24 PM
Gotta love this piece of gold from Jenni Carlson: http://twitter.com/JenniCarlson_OK

Collier11
12/1/2009, 01:25 PM
Well here is his explanation, I sent Sheffter a message on twitter and this is exactly what I said, "dont you think you should retract your statements on air, even if you didnt do it on purpose it was still irresponsible"

He replied in a PM, lol...and said "No, because what I said on air was accurate. NFL people believed he was going, there was mutual interest, just didnt happen"

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2009, 01:32 PM
Well here is his explanation, I sent Sheffter a message on twitter and this is exactly what I said, "dont you think you should retract your statements on air, even if you didnt do it on purpose it was still irresponsible"

He replied in a PM, lol...and said "No, because what I said on air was accurate. NFL people believed he was going, there was mutual interest, just didnt happen"
Still wondering how there can be 'mutual' interest when one side of the equation had zero contact either personally or by his agent.

reminds me of when i was in junior high and felt like the head cheer leader must have been interested in me because she made eye contact in passing in the hallway. After all, i certainly was interested in her!!! I thought I was 'in' for sure!!!! :pop:

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 01:34 PM
Man I would love to go back to the Holiday Bowl again.

I would take a extra day or two and go to Escondido and see and ole Navy buddy of mine.

Got to take my wife out there in '05 and show her San Diego but we both were sicker than dogs and didn't get to enjoy it much.

San Diego is a fun City. A Navy buddy of mine took me to the shipyards before 9-11-01. If you have never been up close and personal to see our Fleet....you are missing a very impressive part of our Nations greatness. The folks involved in all aspects of our Maritime vessels are to be just as commended as the ones that are involved in keeping our Airways safe.

A trip I will always remember.

rainiersooner
12/1/2009, 01:41 PM
Illegal? No -- no crime or even near crime. Irresponsible? Yes -- poor reporting at best. A "ratings grab."

Not illegal - but arguably actionable by Stoops on the grounds of defamation, or the little known tort of "false light". The damage to recruiting is interesting. It would probably be more of a PR nightmare to pursue it, but there should be accountability (other than just apologizing on twitter) for actions that have a detrimental effect.

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 01:45 PM
Since the guy obviously has been told to STFU....

Nothing will come of it all is my guess.

Sometimes...you have to take the high road even if ESPN continues not to.

cvsooner
12/1/2009, 01:45 PM
I can't really fault ESPN or Stoops on this. Coaching is a very uncertain profession in terms of longevity. Every coach pretty much has to at least entertain an offer, just to keep their options open. How many times have we seen someone like a Frank Solich get canned for going 9-3? Or a Houston Nutt fired from Arkansas? Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno are the exceptions...and possibly the last of a breed. The days of completely controlling your own destiny at a program for the bulk of your working career are over.

I'm sure there were some credible people thinking Stoops might be interested but the fact that he simply was interested -- he does owe it to himself and his family to at least listen to what they're offering -- doesn't mean he ever planned to leave. If he's anything, Stoops is anything but indecisive. He might have listened, thought about it for ten minutes and made up his mind.

A guy like Schefter, and the NFL people he's talking to, don't put a whole lot of stock in loyalty, as neither does the NFL or today's mass media...look how easily people in both businesses move around. They're not used to dealing with someone with a fair amount of integrity who says what he means, means what he says, and then goes about doing it.

Collier11
12/1/2009, 01:48 PM
Isnt it funny that Solich gets canned for going 9-3 and now Pelini is being celebrated for going 9-3

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2009, 01:53 PM
I can't fault ESPN - their role is to provide "infotainment". We all want to know what's going on even when we don't want to know. *If* there was some negotiation going on with ND that didn't go anywhere, we want to know. But we don't want to know because we want to believe in some form of loyalty and we don't want any negative impact on recruiting or other activity that might harm the program. But our urge to know cause us to do internet searches and click on links which pops up banner ads and pays the bills for ESPN. We can grumble all we want, but we cause the situation. And the "we" here is not just OU fans - it's all CFB fans (only the OU fans care about negative impact).

badger
12/1/2009, 01:54 PM
Isnt it funny that Solich gets canned for going 9-3 and now Pelini is being celebrated for going 9-3

Meh, they're Big 12 North Champs and have one game to prove if they're legit or if they're more of the same.

Bo Penini Bread really needs to win this game for people to be yelling that Nebbish is back and the order is restored and all that crap.

Solich got canned mostly because Pederson was an incompetent athletic director, who much like the KU guy trying to run off Mangino and possibly Self, wanted to be the one to hire the football coach that would lead NU to glory. Solich was part of the old regime under Ozzy. The new hire would be Pederson's own guy and he would be seen as the greatest AD ever if the new coach could bring Nebraska a championship.

...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaaaaaaaa

NormanPride
12/1/2009, 02:06 PM
Whoa, whoa... he's trying to run off Self as well? Wow.

beer4me
12/1/2009, 02:18 PM
San Diego is a fun City. A Navy buddy of mine took me to the shipyards before 9-11-01. If you have never been up close and personal to see our Fleet....you are missing a very impressive part of our Nations greatness. The folks involved in all aspects of our Maritime vessels are to be just as commended as the ones that are involved in keeping our Airways safe.

A trip I will always remember.

That is for sure and certain!!!!

badger
12/1/2009, 02:30 PM
Whoa, whoa... he's trying to run off Self as well? Wow.

I have heard that Perkins and Self don't exactly get along and that Perkins has rubbed Self the wrong way.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2009, 02:33 PM
Perkins has rubbed Self the wrong way.

maybe its a technique issue

sooner59
12/1/2009, 02:37 PM
maybe its a technique issue

Probably dry-handed....should have used a scented lotion.

beer4me
12/1/2009, 02:39 PM
Probably dry-handed....should have used a scented lotion.

This is what I am thinking :D

Collier11
12/1/2009, 02:40 PM
I have heard that Perkins and Self don't exactly get along and that Perkins has rubbed Self the wrong way.

Perkins seems to be the problem around there

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2009, 02:41 PM
C11 has a problem with rubbing Self the wrong way also..Luckily he has Jlew to help him out

delhalew
12/1/2009, 02:44 PM
Aww, come on, when has espn ever pissed bob off? :D

beer4me
12/1/2009, 02:45 PM
Aww, come on, when has espn ever pissed bob off? :D

I think maybe they have pissed on him a few times :D

delhalew
12/1/2009, 03:10 PM
Funny thing, Bob is so jaded by the media he will hardly deal with them.

Chris childers on rivals radio one day let slip that "paranoid" media hating Stoops will no longer talk to RR. He tried to play it off via email that he was joking, but he is clearly butthurt.

RR is the most reasonable of all national shows in my opinion, but Bob has clearly had enough.

Piware
12/1/2009, 03:18 PM
Who could blame Bob Stoops for hating the media. When you have to answer the same buttheads, asking the same stupid questions week after week and counter the outright lies they come up anyone would get pissed.

I don't watch ESPN unless that is the only coverage for our games. Even then I turn the sound off and listed to Bob and Merv. I would rather listen to Bob Sr. stutter than the ESPN types pontificate.

delhalew
12/1/2009, 03:24 PM
I don't blame.

It is a shame though, that Bill King gets shut out because espn has worn Bob ragged.

ouduckhunter
12/1/2009, 04:03 PM
Who could blame Bob Stoops for hating the media. When you have to answer the same buttheads, asking the same stupid questions week after week and counter the outright lies they come up anyone would get pissed.

I don't watch ESPN unless that is the only coverage for our games. Even then I turn the sound off and listed to Bob and Merv. I would rather listen to Bob Sr. stutter than the ESPN types pontificate.

Same here! I stopped listening to the ESpin clowns, ABC idiots, etc., years ago! We put the game on mute and listen to Bob and Merv on Sirius.

Boomer!!

12/1/2009, 04:57 PM
nahhhhhhh
ESPiN is just the sports version of TMZ and the National Inquirer :pop:

Well, the "bored as hell, so let's make a story" side of ESPN is bad. I'll be in their corner as for bringing us a bunch of entertainment we never saw as kids.

I think they are relying too much on the "how many coaches have we witnessed saying they'll be back at ______ next year" arguments.

It seems, more times than not, the coach claiming that is gone within weeks.

I wish we'd quit second guessing OUr program as a stepping stone. This is a destination. There aren't any better out there. I'll admit to being scared by the NFL scare, but thanks to his mentor, "Uncle Steve," I think Stoops is happy to be among the elite where he is. It is a different sport and an entirely different strategy. One offers different challenges than the other.

Seriously, this is the most tiresome part of the modern college game... "our coach is good... we might lose him"

I'd rather leave that stuff to the slime that compete for money and "program history"

Bob has both money and history. I'm sure he has wanted both what is best for his family and success for his program.

My favorite Uncle Bob's family is set for life... :D

Sincerely, 12 Stoops

bluedogok
12/1/2009, 10:38 PM
A guy like Schefter, and the NFL people he's talking to, don't put a whole lot of stock in loyalty, as neither does the NFL or today's mass media...look how easily people in both businesses move around. They're not used to dealing with someone with a fair amount of integrity who says what he means, means what he says, and then goes about doing it.
They tend to think all coaches are all cut from the same cloth as Saban and are mercenaries available to the highest bidder.

“He’s trying to cover his (Monday night) mistake,” Stoops said. “There were never any talks that broke down, because there were never ever any negotiations or details or plans for a meeting.”
WOW.... I never knew that Monday night mistake was a synonym for *** (donkey, rear end, etc.).

badger
12/2/2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/Thumbs/20091202_plante20091202_opinion.jpg