PDA

View Full Version : Norte Dame is about to Screw Up Again....

Blues1
12/1/2009, 12:16 PM
I can't think of ANYONE who can bring this football program back....

Stoops Stays at OU
Patterson stays at TCU
Meyer Stays at Florida
Carrol Stays at US uck
Peterson stays at Boise State
Les Stays Stupid at LSU
Mac won't go anywhere..

Who's Left....?

Skip Holtz ....?
Butch Davis...?
Lou Holtz...? (Already has Very Easy Job) with Lots of $$$$$
Fulmer...?
Tuberville...? (Maybe)

Make Your Guess.... (Who WINS ~~~~~ :)

Your Turn

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 12:17 PM
Mike Stoops

Blues1
12/1/2009, 12:19 PM
Mike Stoops

Wow ~ Never thought about That ~~~~ !

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 12:19 PM
I don't think they'd be screwing up with that one huh? :D

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 12:21 PM
Picking Mike would really set up a bad scene for an OU v ND matchup in the future IMO. Would we even encourage it?

sooner ngintunr
Brian Kelly

yermom
Peterson, Tuberville or Patterson would be crazy to say no.

June Jones?

Skip Holtz is kinda interesting

Blues1
12/1/2009, 12:22 PM
I don't think they'd be screwing up with that one huh? :D

You MIGHT be "The Winner" ---- !!!! ~~ :)

StoopTroup
What about guys in the NFL?

Scott D
Mike Stoops

I've considered that to be a very strong potential possibility. However, I think he signed an extension with Arizona in the last couple of years, and that he wants to win a Pac-10 title still.

yermom
12/1/2009, 12:24 PM
either way, he's gotta find a way to beat USC

Blues1
Brian Kelly

He might do it --- I just can't see him Bringing ND Back ..??
Maybe he can do it....But Somehow I don't see it....??

yermom
What about guys in the NFL?

i'm hearing Gruden a lot

badger
12/1/2009, 12:25 PM
Stoops the Sequel has done so much work rebuilding Arizona to the point that ESPN College Gameday would actually come there for a football (and not basketball) game that I don't see Mikey leaving.

On the other hand, Mike's had some personal issues to deal with since arriving in Tucson (sp?), so a new program might be a fresh start for him.

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 12:26 PM
I've considered that to be a very strong potential possibility. However, I think he signed an extension with Arizona in the last couple of years, and that he wants to win a Pac-10 title still.

I just threw that out to mess with Blues. :D

You're probably right about that but if they wanted him...you'd think he'd have a really hard time sleeping on that.

boomermagic
12/1/2009, 12:31 PM
Mike would be a great choice..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2009, 12:32 PM
Charlie Strong would be a better choice than Mike

Edit: IMO, he is the best possible candidate..

KantoSooner
12/1/2009, 12:32 PM
Orlow Tidwell.

Orlow is currently unemployed, but, when approached by ESPN had only two conditions: That the job pay at least $2.5 million per year, with at least one year guaranteed, and that he be able to serve using a psuedonym.

Orlow only played j.v. ball and now lives on a steam grate, but has standards.

Blues1
12/1/2009, 12:33 PM
I really thought That Weis Should have gotten One More Year....

They had too many games that were so so close -- All he needed was a new defense Guru --- And ND hits big time again !!! ~ jmho..... :)

cdlbdd
12/1/2009, 01:01 PM
Brian Kelly

^This^

RedstickSooner
12/1/2009, 01:07 PM
With their craptacular Big-10 schedule, Mike Leach would probably win every game except the USC game; and with their built-in recruiting base, he'd eventually get competitive there, too.

I can't help but think Gruden would be an excellent pickup, but has he ever expressed any desire or willingness to coach at the college level?

Fraggle145
12/1/2009, 01:24 PM
Charlie Strong would be a better choice than Mike

Edit: IMO, he is the best possible candidate..

No way they would take him. He is black, we saw their opinion of black coaches with Willingham.

And if you think that didnt play a role in his firing, you are kidding yourself.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2009, 01:26 PM
Not just that, but Strong's wife is white, which would be an issue...

I guess he was good enough to coach there Dline, but not a head coach

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/1/2009, 01:29 PM
Brian Kelly^This^

Brian O'Kelly. Fixed ;)

yermom
12/1/2009, 01:29 PM
i don't know man, how many games was it before they had an offensive touchdown that one year?

they may have been winning games, but they really weren't very good. i don't really think race had any obvious role in it. didn't Willingham have the same winning percentage as Davie when he got ****-canned?

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 01:30 PM
Let's hope they learned from Ty's demise and that none of that is true. How can you expect to get kids to recruit there if you have that hanging over your head?

Fraggle145
12/1/2009, 01:39 PM
i don't know man, how many games was it before they had an offensive touchdown that one year?

they may have been winning games, but they really weren't very good. i don't really think race had any obvious role in it. didn't Willingham have the same winning percentage as Davie when he got ****-canned?

Its all about how long they were given. Weis was given what 4 or 5 years? Davie 4, Willingham 3. And we saw what Weis did with Willingham's players in his first year... They went to a BCS bowl.

Collier11
12/1/2009, 01:40 PM
Brian Kelly is the future coach unless he turns it down and will do a great job IMO

primetime43
12/1/2009, 01:41 PM
He might do it --- I just can't see him Bringing ND Back ..??
Maybe he can do it....But Somehow I don't see it....??

Do you realize how bad Cincy football was before Kelly took over? Its unbelievable what he has done with that program. I absolutely think he could turn Notre Dame around.

Collier11
12/1/2009, 01:47 PM
He is a great coach, if you dont believe us take a look at his record

Grand Valley St- 118-35-2 6 conf titles and 2 natl titles

Cent Mich- 19-16 1 conf title

Cincinatti- 33-6 1 conf title, will win a 2nd if he beats pitt this week. been to 1 BCS game and will be 2 if he beats pitt

cvsooner
12/1/2009, 01:52 PM
Bo Pelini might be a good choice. And frankly ND would be a step up from Nebraska, at the moment.

yermom
12/1/2009, 02:09 PM
why is that? three more losses?

i doubt Guido and the Golden Taint are going to be there next year...

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 02:15 PM
Seems someone has been drinking early today. I missed getting in that thread before it got closed....lol

nBoSTP
12/1/2009, 02:15 PM
I think Brian Billick could be an interesting guy there.

boomermagic
12/1/2009, 02:16 PM
Mike Stoops !

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2009, 02:28 PM
Why Mike?

cvsooner
12/1/2009, 02:52 PM
Pelini and Mike Stoops keep getting mentioned because they're looking for someone who can coach a defense. In terms of prestige and tradition, ND is definitely higher than Arizona. And in terms of recruiting, it's got to be better than Nebraska...even with its history and tradition.

All that said, I think ND will probably make a hard play for Kelly.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 02:52 PM
I still think Jim Harbaugh would be a good choice.

1. He owns USC.

2. He can recruit at a school with high academic standards.

boomermagic
12/1/2009, 02:55 PM
Why Mike?

Mike is a great defensive coach IMO.. They{ND} have said they want a defensive minded coach.. Mike would win at ND if anyone could..

murray1430
12/1/2009, 02:55 PM
I agree with you on the Harbaugh thought.

TMcGee86
12/1/2009, 03:06 PM
I think Leach would take them to a BCS game every single year. They probably wouldn't win MNC's but I think they would be a lock for a BCS game. He would destroy the service academies and the big(slow)10 teams they play every year.
And his style of offense would allow him to get all the recruits he needs up there.

No way it happens, but I think he'd be a great choice.

Other than that, Kelly seems like the perfect fit.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/1/2009, 03:07 PM

1. He owns USC.

my thoughts too

sooner ngintunr
12/1/2009, 03:09 PM

1. He owns USC.

Good points

Jacie
12/1/2009, 03:31 PM
An intriguing idea is Notre Dame hire the Georgia Tech coach, Johnson. The reasoning being that they don't have the players to run the spread but do have the running backs and O-linemen for the triple option.

Collier11
12/1/2009, 03:42 PM
I think Johnson would be a great hire if he got a good D coord

Collier11
12/1/2009, 03:44 PM

1. He owns USC.

The thing is, 7-4 or 8-3 is good at Stanford, not at ND. I would wait another year or two to see if he can get to the next level of success. If he can win 10 or 11 games at Stanford I would jump on him

jaux
12/1/2009, 03:55 PM
notre dame sucks (http://www.notredamesucks.org/)

12/1/2009, 04:07 PM
I'll bet they go with Brian Kelly, though Harbaugh would (might) be a better hire for their system.

One thing is clear, they'll roll the dice.

And Catholics are cool with that. :D

Well, ok... they'll see which candidate gets the first BINGO!

ouduckhunter
12/1/2009, 04:11 PM
Unless....I hear that they are secretly working behind the scenes to hire Saban away from Alabama! We all know that Saban is just like any good politician, he can be bought if the price is right! ;)

Hope that ESpin quotes me correctly!!

sooner59
12/1/2009, 04:12 PM
The thing is, 7-4 or 8-3 is good at Stanford, not at ND. I would wait another year or two to see if he can get to the next level of success. If he can win 10 or 11 games at Stanford I would jump on him

True. However, you have to assume that he would be able to land better recruits at ND than Stanford. A plus is he has a California pipeline for recruiting now, also. Big state to recruit from.

budbarrybob
12/1/2009, 04:22 PM
I think Olevet could turn 'er around. He seems to have a rather large supporting cast as well :gary:

Fraggle145
12/1/2009, 04:25 PM

1. He owns USC.

they said that about Willingham when he came from Stanford too.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 04:28 PM
they said that about Willingham when he came from Stanford too.

And they would have "begged" for that 9-3 season this year that Willingham would have gotten them. :D

12/1/2009, 05:07 PM
The longer they go before winning consistently again, the more difficult it will be to lure good coaches away.

I'm ok with that.

Funky G
12/1/2009, 06:24 PM
Kevin Wilson. This way they could go from "never being out-schemed" to never having a scheme. You're welcome.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/1/2009, 06:32 PM
Still hearing Gruden's name circulate around quite a bit. I think Gary Patterson would be a good fit but really thing Harbaugh is basically the "hot coaching name" right now so I would imagine he'll get a good long look.

Scott D
12/1/2009, 06:41 PM
Do you realize how bad Cincy football was before Kelly took over? Its unbelievable what he has done with that program. I absolutely think he could turn Notre Dame around.

Actually Cincy wasn't godawful when Kelly took over, Mark D'antonio had turned that program around before leaving for Michigan State. Kelly was able to build on that, if anything you should point at what Kelly did at Central Michigan as to turning around a program.

VA Sooner
12/1/2009, 06:56 PM
Brian Kelly is the future coach unless he turns it down and will do a great job IMO

^ This!

VA Sooner
12/1/2009, 06:58 PM
Still hearing Gruden's name circulate around quite a bit. I think Gary Patterson would be a good fit but really thing Harbaugh is basically the "hot coaching name" right now so I would imagine he'll get a good long look.

ESPN just threw a bunch of money at him to keep him as an analyst.

royalfan5
12/1/2009, 07:04 PM
Actually Cincy wasn't godawful when Kelly took over, Mark D'antonio had turned that program around before leaving for Michigan State. Kelly was able to build on that, if anything you should point at what Kelly did at Central Michigan as to turning around a program.

Dantonio's record in three years was pretty much identical to Rick Minter's last three years at Cincy. Saying Dantonio turned the program around seems awful strong. Kelly has certainly elevated the program in his short time running the Bearcats.

Scott D
12/1/2009, 10:03 PM
No doubt that Kelly elevated it, but it was already on track.

Camomaha
12/1/2009, 10:38 PM
I agree with an earlier post that Mike Leach would be the best possible hire. With his system he would dominate all the crap teams they play. All he would need then was an awesome d coordinator and money is no object at ND.

badger
12/2/2009, 09:45 AM
In today's morning paper:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/Thumbs/20091202_plante20091202_opinion.jpg

:D

olevetonahill
12/2/2009, 09:47 AM
In today's morning paper:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/Thumbs/20091202_plante20091202_opinion.jpg

:D

Allsome :cool:

Dan Thompson
12/2/2009, 03:12 PM
Cinn coach would seem like a strong choice or maybe the Buffalo coach.

olevetonahill
12/2/2009, 03:15 PM
They should Get some young Up and Cpmer and Let him build the program around His style
Plus not promise him the Moon and stars.Yr to yr contracts and BIG Incentive pay on top of a decent salary
Just my .02

olevetonahill
12/2/2009, 03:16 PM
But then again as far as Im concerned its about like Tiger
I really dont give a **** what happens :D

Collier11
12/2/2009, 03:19 PM
They should Get some young Up and Cpmer and Let him build the program around His style
Plus not promise him the Moon and stars.Yr to yr contracts and BIG Incentive pay on top of a decent salary
Just my .02

You mean like Josh Heupel?

Scott D
12/2/2009, 03:21 PM
here's what they'll do.

They'll get the NCAA to lean harder on USC...then just when it looks like their long overdue probation is about to hit, Pete Carroll will agree to terms with Jack Swarbrick, and USC avoids probation.

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2009, 03:22 PM
Mike Stoops would not likely get looked at by Notre Dame.

1. His sideline blowups would turn their administration off.

2. He is fresh-hot off of getting a divorce.

I don't think Gruden is a major candidate either. He was before Weis, but the stories from the places he coached in the NFL about how the players all hate him has to raise an eyebrow at the college level.

tanjou
12/2/2009, 03:24 PM
Just my .02
They tried that with Davie and Willingham, and omitted the "young up and comer" with Weis. It's not working for them.

If there's not an announcement next week that Kelly is their new coach, they're in for some dark times.

tanjou
12/2/2009, 03:24 PM
Well, darker times. Yikes.

Collier11
12/2/2009, 03:28 PM
Kelly will be a great coach for them, im afraid you are way off on this one

tanjou
12/2/2009, 03:29 PM
Kelly will be a great coach for them, im afraid you are way off on this one
Read it again, champ.

Sooner70
12/3/2009, 08:05 AM
Paul Johnson---Georgia Tech coach, former Navy coach. He'd be a good fit & it'd be a good move for him.

Collier11
12/3/2009, 09:54 AM
Read it again, champ.

can I blame it on being drunk if I was sober? My bad man

TMcGee86
12/3/2009, 12:30 PM
They sure seem to have gone quiet on this all of the sudden, which tells me it's one of two things,

either it's Kelly, and he's said don't say a word till after the Pitt game, which is the most likely scenario, or...

it's Meyer, and he's said don't say a word till after the BCS CG.

SoonerTank
12/3/2009, 12:33 PM
They've gone quite which tells me it's one of two things,

either it's Kelly, and he's said not a word till after the Pitt game, which is the most likely scenario, or...

it's Meyer, and he's said don't say a word till after the BCS CG.

I think you're right. It would only help recruiting if they announced as early as possible. They just can't do it until the "Bowls" are over with. Out of the two, I think Kelly is who they are waiting on.

Collier11
12/3/2009, 01:03 PM
or everyone keeps turning them down

SoonerTank
12/3/2009, 01:07 PM

Could be. I hope you're right!:D

sooner59
12/3/2009, 02:42 PM

With ND getting turned ON by all these coaches, followed by getting turned DOWN by them....

ND is about to be an Irish Nation of blueballs. ;)

Petro-Sooner
12/4/2009, 06:41 PM
Heard on the radio they will turn down their bowl offer this year. I'd be pissed if I was on the team.

yermom
12/4/2009, 07:04 PM
yep. why punish the players?

King Crimson
12/4/2009, 07:11 PM
Kelly, Johnson and Harbaugh would be great gets, but i don't think any will happen. all for different reasons.

my prediction right now today would be Pat Fitzgerald at NWestern.

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2009, 07:19 PM
I thought they were letting the team vote on going to the bowl game.

cvsooner
12/4/2009, 07:21 PM
A Catholic colleague of mine told me today Kelly will be a tough sell for many because he's apparently pro-choice (and I don't mean the NFL). Leach not being a Catholic and the fact "they" say they want a defense-minded coach sort of spoil that soup.

I dunno who it's going to be. Time will tell, I guess.

Petro-Sooner
12/4/2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/12/its-official-no-bowl-for-notre-dame.html

It's official: No bowl for Notre Dame
December 4, 2009 4:16 PM | 22 Comments
By Brian Hamilton

One offseason domino has fallen, officially, for Notre Dame: The Irish won't be bowling this winter.

After a meeting on Friday, athletic director Jack Swarbrick issued a statement to confirm what the Tribune reported in Friday's editions: That thanks to a slew of logistical issues and twin problems of motivation and destination, the Irish won't take part in a bowl game.

""After meetings again today involving our coaching staff as well as the leadership group representing our football team, we have made the decision to remove ourselves from consideration for any postseason bowl game this year," Swarbrick said in a statement.
"Notre Dame institutionally always has been a strong advocate of the bowl system, and we sincerely appreciate the bowls and individuals representing them who reached out to us. However, the unique circumstances surrounding our program at the current time prevent us from making the commitment required to compete in a bowl game.

"If the landscape had been different, we would have been thrilled to take part - and we certainly look forward to being part of the bowl system in the years to come.

King Crimson
12/4/2009, 07:24 PM
A Catholic colleague of mine told me today Kelly will be a tough sell for many because he's apparently pro-choice (and I don't mean the NFL).

i've heard the same thing from a ND buddy on another board. Kelly was pretty visible/pro Obama in the last election.

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2009, 07:26 PM
Ha! "pro-choice" factoring into a coach hiring decision? If so, then ND deserves who they get. Maybe they should consider a don't ask/don't tell policy:rolleyes: