PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Mike Huckabee has his Willie Horton

JohnnyMack
12/1/2009, 10:49 AM
Does this event derail the chubby guitar players chances at a White House run?

What say you?

TUSooner
12/1/2009, 10:53 AM
huh?

King Barry's Back
12/1/2009, 10:53 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about, but Huckabee hasn't got much chance of a White House run. I don't think you can derail what ain't going to happen.

lexsooner
12/1/2009, 11:11 AM
Well, possibly. However, if I recall, Dukakis's wife Kitty met Horton in some prison volunteer program and pushed hard for his release, against the advice of corrections officials who were eventually strong-armed into letting Horton go. We don't have all the facts in about Huckabee, but it sounds like he was trying to save the state money and got burned big time.

The initial information suggests the Seattle killer is criminally insane, delusional, claiming to be Jesus. One of the big problems with releasing these guys early is they are under much greater supervision in prison and staff will often make sure they take their psych meds so they behave, but on the street without anyone to watch them, they go off their meds and act crazy again.

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 11:21 AM
Lots of pressure on these guys to fit back into a society that has very little use for them too.

Once a guy has become used to incarceration we expect them to not do it again. They get frustrated quickly and go right back into the behavior that got them there in the first place.

Prisons do not rehabilitate.

JohnnyMack
12/1/2009, 11:23 AM
The initial information suggests the Seattle killer is criminally insane, delusional, claiming to be Jesus.

And dead. Don't forget dead.

Scott D
12/1/2009, 11:31 AM
huh?

The Seattle cop killer was early released from his 96 year sentence by then Gov. Mike Huckabee...Ironically I believe the guy was sent to jail for killing a cop in the first place.

It's further proof that the whole 'saving money' bull**** about commuting sentences needs to be revised so that certain types of inmates do not get released early. More often than not, it's not the 'lesser' crimes that get out, it's murderers and pedophiles that are getting commuted sentences and released back into society at large to revert back to type.

I'm glad that I've got a county prosecutor up here that sued the state for a list of prisoners they planned on releasing early so that they could contest those that were considered a threat to society.

lexsooner
12/1/2009, 11:36 AM
Lots of pressure on these guys to fit back into a society that has very little use for them too.

Once a guy has become used to incarceration we expect them to not do it again. They get frustrated quickly and go right back into the behavior that got them there in the first place.

Prisons do not rehabilitate.

I agree prisons generally do not rehabilitate. They mostly isolate them away from the general public and punish the offender. However I disagree ex-cons re-offend because they are "frustrated." Most of them have anti-social personalities or traits which wire them to be rule-breaking and not in step with our law abiding society. Some prison systems have addiction and other programming which addresses the criminal thinking of the inmates, and these programs may have some rehabilitative value. Otherwise, the best thing about prison is it keeps the offenders away from us for a while.

OhU1
12/1/2009, 11:53 AM
Otherwise, the best thing about prison is it keeps the offenders away from us for a while.

Lock em up and lose the key. Mark Mangino the soon to be ex-coach of the Fighting Manginos said he could not raise a kid in 4 years of college and make up for 18 years of parental neglect. The prison system is certainly not a place where this can happen either. Inmates DO have opportunities for work, education, and counseling if they choose to take advantage of them and stay out of trouble. Some inmates take advantage of these opportunities and move on with their life. Others won't.

85Sooner
12/1/2009, 12:15 PM
It seems Mr Huckabee did alot for his "friends" with regard to getting their sentences changed. IMO he has proven to be as bad as I thought he was during the campaign.

Scott D
12/1/2009, 12:18 PM
interesting

Harry Beanbag
12/1/2009, 01:42 PM
And dead. Don't forget dead.

I think that's his best quality.

olevetonahill
12/1/2009, 04:39 PM
Dude was a Stone cold Killer
Now Hes stone cold dead

Adios Mother****er

swardboy
12/1/2009, 05:11 PM
Huckabee "commuted" the sentence from 100+ years to 47 years, which made the dude eligible for parole after 11 years. At the time the guy was in jail for a robbery when 16 years old...first offense. He was recommended for the commutation by the prison system...prosecutors raised no objections.

Huckabee didn't parole him, the parole system did, 11 years AFTER Huckabee's commutation. The Huckster could have release for time served, but didn't.

What's ridiculous is the Washington state judges releasing him after the immense and violent record he scored after his Arkansas parole

picasso
12/1/2009, 06:22 PM

What say you?

I say it derails about anything he tries to do now.

picasso
12/1/2009, 06:24 PM
My wife's cuz is a cop and says this is why he and his buddies sit with their backs to wall when eating out.

Me? I scan the room for exits, crazy people and boobs.

I Am Right
12/1/2009, 07:21 PM

What say you?

I think maybe it does.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/1/2009, 10:50 PM
It's further proof that the whole 'saving money' bull**** about commuting sentences needs to be revised so that certain types of inmates do not get released early. More often than not, it's not the 'lesser' crimes that get out, it's murderers and pedophiles that are getting commuted sentences and released back into society at large to revert back to type.

Amen.

Murderers walking in seven while a hot check writer grinds all 30 of his sentence. Something wrong with that.