PDA

View Full Version : The real reason Stoops won't leave - not for awhile anyway

evergreen1310
12/1/2009, 09:46 AM
I don't know why most people (reporters mostly) never seem to have much discussion about the fact why Stoops isn't going to go anywhere; not for another 8 to 10 years anyway --- His family. It's like the media doesn't recognize that this guy has 3 kids at home that he goes to everyday. Stoops is a bigtime family man and he's not going to uproot his kids to haul off to Notre Dame -- or anywhere.

I believe his 2 boys are around the age of 10 (not sure about his daughter). I just don't believe he's going to take his kids out of Oklahoma. Oklahoma is all his kids have ever known. It's there home. Moving away from everything you've ever known can really be detrimental to a child, and why risk that when you have it so good at OU and anywhere else would be so much more uncertain of a future. He's just a normal family man away from the football field. He thinks about the same things we all think about concerning our families every day.

Now, the worry would come when his kids graduate highschool (or college if they go to OU). When the kids have left the nest, that's when talk should start. That's when he and his wife will re-evaluate their situation because the kids won't be a factor and they might want a change. However, at that point, you're talking about 20+ years at OU. I don't think he goes to another college. He might try for something else that's much different, which would probably be the NFL.

Here's a link to a story that was written 5 years ago before the Orange Bowl. It's a great article and puts a lot of perspective on Stoops' family life.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2004/12/29/a1c_stoops_1229.html

delhalew
12/1/2009, 10:06 AM
Eggzactly! I understand that a lot of coaches with kids are mercenaries, but the national media doesn,t know Bob.

I believe when he does leave, it will be for something like ND. ( ie: insurmountable challange). Someday he may want to prove to himself that he can do it anywhere.

In the meantime in between time, forget about it.

Sasakwa
12/1/2009, 11:07 AM
Indiana has elementary schools and McDonalds too. Plus it may be closer to his extended family. I doubt he's leaving, but it has nothing to do with his kiddos.

delhalew
12/1/2009, 11:12 AM
Indiana has elementary schools and McDonalds too. Plus it may be closer to his extended family. I doubt he's leaving, but it has nothing to do with his kiddos.

1) They can hop a jet to see grandma anytime they want. 2) It's not good to uproot children. 3) You say some stupid shizz.

CobraKai
12/1/2009, 11:30 AM

I don't think his point was that Indiana does not have schools. Uprooting kids is a traumatic experience, and one that a parent will carefully consider. I would venture to guess that most parents would not move their kids half-way across the country on a whim, for a job that is very arguably not in the same league (certainly is not in the same league at present time), and for a job with considerably less security then the one you have. Would you leave a high paying job at one of the top 5 companies in your profession with tons of job security for a lesser job at a company that has been laying off for years? All of this without getting a pay raise and moving your kids away from their homes, friends, little league teams, etc?

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 11:45 AM
it has nothing to do with his kiddos.

One thing is for sure....

Be glad Bob isn't your Father....he'd probably be putting you in a Military School in Indiana right now.

DMAFB_Sooner08
12/1/2009, 11:47 AM
obviously none of these posters are military!

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 11:50 AM

I can see where you're going with this....lol

Scott D
12/1/2009, 11:56 AM

having spent a long stretch of my childhood moving from school to school on a nearly yearly basis before actually attending the same school for more than 2 years during high school. I can say that if I was in Bob's place I'd definitely stay in the same spot until my kids were gone. Hell, my folks have been in the same place as the last duty station for 17 years since my stepdad's retirement.

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2009, 12:04 PM
The thing I would watch out for is if Boren and/or Joe C. leave.

BS has an amazing relationship with both of them, and any instability that might come from either of those two leaving (particularly Boren IMO) could make things interesting.

I think BS is here for awhile since he's turned down the 3 schools I was worried about (tOSU, FU, ND).

If he goes anywhere else it will be Iowa, a high school (yes, he's said he would do that folks) or the NFL. But it will be awhile before he does any of that I think, at least 8-10 years.

Scott D
12/1/2009, 12:05 PM
great Tuba, make the media start the Stoops to Cardinal Mooney rumors now..forget the fact that his older brother coaches there. ;)

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2009, 12:10 PM
great Tuba, make the media start the Stoops to Cardinal Mooney rumors now..forget the fact that his older brother coaches there. ;)I see it as being a "retirement" type of thing for him. I wouldn't put it passed him to just hang it up and retire after 8-10 more years. Play lots of golf with Steve and the gang at Augusta, hang at the beach house, and coach some HS ball in the fall, and just "fade away" from the spot light he loves so dearly.

8 -10 years is a good amount of time for Josh to take over. Something Mr. Boren would like to see happen (since they're family now).

okiewaker
12/1/2009, 01:41 PM
I agree with some of what you are saying but in terms of uprooting kids being detrimental to a child to me is not correct. I, along with many military brats, are uprooted quite often and get to see alot of things home grown small town kids don't get to. At least for me, I was having to make new friends and adapt to different surroundings about every three to four years. I really don't think that staying in one town or moving makes a difference as long as a kid has good parents. Having said all that, I'm glad he is staying.

georgiag
12/1/2009, 02:04 PM
I would think that would be a plus. Maybe he could get his kids out of Okie before they become rurnt for good. :D

(Aggies hope the SOB leaves :mad: )

Scott D
12/1/2009, 06:37 PM
I agree with some of what you are saying but in terms of uprooting kids being detrimental to a child to me is not correct. I, along with many military brats, are uprooted quite often and get to see alot of things home grown small town kids don't get to. At least for me, I was having to make new friends and adapt to different surroundings about every three to four years. I really don't think that staying in one town or moving makes a difference as long as a kid has good parents. Having said all that, I'm glad he is staying.

and in many cases (myself included) one ends up with restless location syndrome. These days I itch to go back to Oklahoma, but I know that within a couple of years I'll be itching to go somewhere else for the sake of it.

makes me think sometimes there is something to that staying in one place thing.

TUSooner
12/1/2009, 06:46 PM

So....how many children do you have?

I know families move with kids. We moved a lot, but my dad was in the military. Then again, my mom hated moving, so eventually he got out. The point is that people with kids generally think hard about uprooting and moving when they don't need to move. So it's absurd for you to say with any degree of confidence that "it has nothing to do with his kiddos." :rolleyes:

okiewaker
12/1/2009, 06:58 PM
and in many cases (myself included) one ends up with restless location syndrome. These days I itch to go back to Oklahoma, but I know that within a couple of years I'll be itching to go somewhere else for the sake of it.

I guess for everyone it's different. We finally settled down in Ok at the end of my pops career, and I'm now settled in. I am itch free and don't want to move anymore.

olevetonahill
12/1/2009, 07:02 PM
I say Go :D
xnbiRDNaDeo

AlbqSooner
12/1/2009, 07:13 PM
When I was in college, I met an incoming freshman at a party. Made the general small talk. I asked him where he was from. He said, "I don't realy know."

My first thought was that he didn't lookk that wasted. Turns out his father was a major exec with Shell Oil and he had lived all over the world; three high schools his senior year.

He was basically a well adjusted kid, due to his diverse experiences and some quality parents. Still, all these years later, I sometimes wonder if he ever really learned to feel at home.

okiewaker
12/1/2009, 07:40 PM
When I was in college, I met an incoming freshman at a party. Made the general small talk. I asked him where he was from. He said, "I don't realy know."

My first thought was that he didn't lookk that wasted. Turns out his father was a major exec with Shell Oil and he had lived all over the world; three high schools his senior year.

He was basically a well adjusted kid, due to his diverse experiences and some quality parents. Still, all these years later, I sometimes wonder if he ever really learned to feel at home.

Maybe he was wondering the same thing about you. Does this guy ever get out and explore? IDK.

Oldnslo
12/1/2009, 07:48 PM
By the time I was 13, we'd moved... 13 times.

Kids make friends. You find new places to eat and shop. Ain't no thang.

Jacie
12/2/2009, 11:11 AM
I think BS is here for awhile since he's turned down the 3 schools I was worried about (tOSU, FU, ND).

If he goes anywhere else it will be Iowa, a high school (yes, he's said he would do that folks) or the NFL. But it will be awhile before he does any of that I think, at least 8-10 years.

And I though Texas highschools paid their football coaches a lot! I had no idea, Iowa football coaches totally blow em out of the water. Imagine the taxes the Iowans must bear to be able to pay a highschool coach a 7-figure salary!

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2009, 01:05 PM

^^This^^ x 50

I thought I was the only one. Thank gawd I don't have that anymore, now that I'm back in Nompton. I do still have it regarding my job...after 3-5 years, I'm ready for a new work environment...this is certainly a result of having made a career of the military myself, after being a "brat".

kbsooner
12/3/2009, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure there are only a handful of Oklahomans that could afford to buy the house he is building in N. Norman. WOW!