12/1/2009, 01:48 AM
http://www.ocolly.com/the-good-the-bad-and-the-gundy-1.946506

The good, the bad and the Gundy
By Ryan Stewart

Sports Editor

Print this article
Share this article Published: Sunday, November 29, 2009

Updated: Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cowboys coach Mike Gundy is 0-5 against OU as OSU’s coach.
On Saturday, Cowboy players, coaches and fans left Norman with far more questions than answers.

Was Zac Robinson healthy enough to play?

Did Mike Gundy have five plays written down on a napkin that he didn’t waiver from all game?

What did the Cowboys do with those extra two days of preparation after a Thursday night victory against Colorado?

How did that Sooner defense lose five games?

Although all of those are legitimate questions, most went unanswered in the postgame press conference following the Cowboy’s 27-0 loss at Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

I would very much like to know the answers but I left Norman with one pressing query, one that is seemingly unanswerable but I would imagine is also on the minds of Cowboy fans across the land: What has happened to Mike Gundy?

What happened to the wiry quarterback that jawed back and forth with Sooner great Brian Bosworth in the ‘80s?

What happened to the offensive coordinator that masterfully engineered drives consisting of deep passes and trick plays that helped build a 35-6 lead against OU in 2002 en route to a second consecutive Bedlam victory?

What happened to the coach that fearlessly defended quarterback Bobby Reid in his infamous postgame tirade?

The only possible answer I can find — Oklahoma happened.

Gundy has been a part of several coaching staffs that have beaten the Sooners, but when he has been directly responsible, whether lining up under center or donning the head coaching mantle, the results have been far less impressive. Gundy is now 0-9 against Oklahoma in those capacities.

“I’m disappointed in our gameplan on offense, I’m disappointed with the way we played,” Gundy said.

That’s a pretty substantial understatement considering the Cowboys tallied just four yards of total offense in the second half and zero first downs.

Looking back on the shutout loss, OSU’s first since a 34-0 loss to Colorado on Oct. 1, 2005, there are a plethora of options to choose from when detailing the Cowboys’ demise.
I will focus on two things, actually two plays.

The Cowboys were twice faced with fourth-and-one, both were situations where the Cowboy offense had stayed on the field against Georgia, Texas, Texas Tech and Colorado. Situations where the Cowboy coaches showed no fear, situations where they showed confidence in their offense and showed the will to do whatever was necessary to win, and situations where the Cowboys were not playing Oklahoma.

On Saturday, the Cowboys punted on both occasions.

Gundy’s explanation felt like a punt, as well.

“They had 11 games on tape and there wasn’t a whole lot of tricks left and that’s the downfall of playing late in the season like this,” Gundy said.

That’s not an explanation as I understand the definition. That’s a cop out.

“Don’t want to take away from what the team has accomplished this year,” Gundy said. “We started this on Aug. 5, we asked these guys to play a long football season and to play at a high level and compete each week.”

The team has accomplished a lot this year. Three straight road victories, a landmark season opening triumph against Georgia, a hard-fought win against Texas Tech and a gutsy comeback with third-string quarterback Brandon Weeden against CU.

Those were games when OSU took chances and fought tooth-and-nail to earn a victory. But against the Sooners, it appeared that the coaching staff had a different goal. The goal wasn’t to win, it was to not lose. The coaches didn’t take chances, they didn’t run trick plays, they didn’t go for fourth-and-short.

That lack of confidence does take away from what the team has accomplished.

Gunter Brewer did not shy away from explaining who was at fault.

“It wasn’t one person or another, people took turns screwing up,” Brewer said.
“Mostly, it was the coaches.”

With OSU’s BCS bowl dreams shattered, the Cowboys appear to be on a collision course for the Cotton Bowl in “Jerry World” against the last coach that had what it took to beat the Sooners — Les Miles and the LSU Tigers

Leroy Lizard
12/1/2009, 03:35 AM
What a rotten headline.

“They had 11 games on tape and there wasn’t a whole lot of tricks left and that’s the downfall of playing late in the season like this,” Gundy said.

I must admit: I have never heard that excuse before.

NCSooner18
12/1/2009, 10:25 AM
"it appeared that the coaching staff had a different goal. The goal wasn’t to win, it was to not lose. The coaches didn’t take chances, they didn’t run trick plays, they didn’t go for fourth-and-short."

Sound like anyone else we know when on the road?

Widescreen
12/1/2009, 11:02 AM
Gundy has been a part of several coaching staffs that have beaten the Sooners
Really? Several? I guess 3 is several and that's assuming you count 2001 and 2002 as separate staffs.

Widescreen
12/1/2009, 11:08 AM
Heh. Wikipedia shows Gundy is a certified reverend by the Church of Universal Life. You can become one online.

http://www.themonastery.org/

To learn more about how to become a minister ordained online, simply complete the form provided, and in most cases, you will receive an email within 72 hours confirming that you have been ordained. It’s that easy.

badger
12/1/2009, 11:42 AM
What a rotten headline.

I actually liked the headline. It could inspire some creativity here. I'll get you all started:

http://i49.tinypic.com/icmjk6.jpg

:les: Fill in the blanks! [hairGel]

stoopified
12/1/2009, 11:45 AM
T%he reason I enjoy this Neon Orange meldown so much is twofold: 1) They were not only convinced they were going to win but win BIG., 2)Poke fans are sojealous of us that they treat ANY OU loss as an osu victory.This utter humiliation at least shuts them up until we lose to someone else.Ags are ags, they can't help it.

StoopTroup
12/1/2009, 11:49 AM
I had to calm an aggie down as I went into work yesterday. He knew what was coming for the next 8 hours. :D

He's a decent oSu Fan. I don't know many...but he's one you can talk football with. He knows the players, the plays....

I think he made it through the day OK.

StanberryWasIn
12/1/2009, 12:02 PM

Aren't these the same guys that whined a few years back when OU wouldn't agree to move the OU/OSU game to Thanksgiving?

Piware
12/1/2009, 05:12 PM
Aren't these the same guys that whined a few years back when OU wouldn't agree to move the OU/OSU game to Thanksgiving?

Yep, sure is. This falls into the category of be careful what you ask for cuz you are liable to get it. Pukes wanted what used to be the Nebrasks slot as they wanted (a) the guaranteed tv time and (b) thought it was fun to accidentally knock OU out of whatever championship was on the line. Guess they never figured they could be on the receiving end of the equation.

They pitched hissy fits until the game was moved and now they are crying about it. Sheesh - what a bunch of dorks.

TAFBSooner
12/1/2009, 05:37 PM
Year Date_________ Score
2004 October 30___ 38-35 Last year at/near Halloween
2005 November 26__ 42-15 First year we took one for the B12
2006 November 25__ 27-21
2007 November 24__ 49-17
2008 November 29__ 61-41
2009 November 28__ 27-0

Bob Stoops will be happy to play OSU the week before the Big 12 title game, if that's what they really want.

VA Sooner
12/1/2009, 06:28 PM
Reading the article and then the fan comments....wow...their fans are dejected even with one of their best seasons.

Bye-bye mo'!!!

unbiasedtruth
12/1/2009, 08:30 PM
i take exception to at least one line form his article.....

"How did that Sooner defense lose five games?"

uh dude did you see the OU offense in 4 of those 5 games???