PDA

View Full Version : OU Recuit wants some Wildcat Formations...

Blues1
11/30/2009, 03:58 PM
LINK ~~~ :)

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2009/11/21/1167956/ou-commit-has-big-game-in-san-diego

My kind of Player ~~~ :)

Rockin'

budbarrybob
11/30/2009, 04:22 PM
sounds great. just as long as he doesn't try to get all bigheaded about play calling and disgruntled about PT. Hope he is the next schiznitz.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2009, 04:25 PM
The wildcat is so 2008.

The_Red_Patriot
11/30/2009, 04:31 PM
The wildcat is so 2008.

Agreed.

No more Wildcat please.

starclassic tama
11/30/2009, 04:46 PM
really well spoken kid. sounds mature and smart. CLAY FOR HEISMAN 2011

Collier11
11/30/2009, 04:48 PM
The thing is, we need to commit to it if we are going to do it. It seems like we run it half azzed in games like weve never ran it in practice before.

Jello Biafra
11/30/2009, 04:50 PM
if they talked shiite to AD and told him..."you haven't done anything yet" when he first jumped into the fall practices this kid no doubt will get the same welcome. come on in clay. run the rock, score some TDs. become a leader both on and off the field, im sure you will get some chances to call your plays.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/30/2009, 04:56 PM
Agreed.

No more Wildcat please.

^^^THIS

Pigface1
11/30/2009, 05:29 PM
The thing is, we need to commit to it if we are going to do it. It seems like we run it half azzed in games like weve never ran it in practice before.

Exactly. Either do it, or don't do it. It's like the fake Zone Read from a couple years ago, just pointless.

goingoneight
11/30/2009, 05:43 PM
I've never understood what's so awesome about a direct snap.

A zone-read with a mobile QB is a HELL of a lot more effective and less predictable than "Oh, I wonder what they're gonna do... WOW!!! A direct-snap run right into a pile!!!"

Collier11
11/30/2009, 05:45 PM
Well it works for alot of teams if it is run correctly

Jacie
11/30/2009, 07:26 PM

A zone-read with a mobile QB is a HELL of a lot more effective and less predictable than "Oh, I wonder what they're gonna do... WOW!!! A direct-snap run right into a pile!!!"

It is only awesome when it catches the defense by surprise and results in a big gain for the offense.

soonerborn30
11/30/2009, 08:31 PM
Is it still called a direct snap if there's no question who it's being snapped to? This bugs me. Shouldn't it only be called a direct snap when there's a QB standing there and the ball is snapped directly to the RB?

Jello Biafra
11/30/2009, 09:11 PM

its not really about suprising people. its about taking a few tenths of a second off of the time you jack around in the backfield. if you can hit the hole at the precise time the hole opens as opposed to hitting the hole when it on its way to being closed, big gain. if you have a RB that is a 4.6 type guy getting the rock and you take away the center/qb exchange then also take away the QB/RB exchange, its like having a 4.3 type back.

or so the theory goes.

SoonerAtKU
11/30/2009, 09:43 PM
I see what you're saying, but I feel like the real benefit is the misdirection. It's like running out of the shotgun every play. You can do well with it if you can make the first guy miss, but you're sacrificing the speed you get from a back lined up 5-6 yards behind the qb. This was something we complained about when Mangino was here, remember? That Q didn't have a head of steam when he hit the hole and ended up bouncing around the line or running up his blockers?

A wildcat without the threat to throw is just like running that shotgun draw every down.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2009, 01:00 AM
The wildcat can be very effective - just look at Florida, Oregon and West Virginia - it's their regular offense. Their wildcat back happens to be listed as the regular QB. When most teams run it (including OU), it seems to be a me-too gimmick thrown in without much thought. And now that almost every team does it, the D sees it enough to know what to do. The only time I see if being very effective is against poor defenses that can be beaten with the regular offense anyway. I think it makes sense if you have a special athlete that can really run the read option, otherwise it is very predictable. But fans do seem to really like it, so sometimes you play to the crowd.

Collier11
12/1/2009, 01:02 AM
Just look at the Dolphins, if it can be ran in the NFL with all that speed and be effective it can be ran in college and easily be effective

Piware
12/1/2009, 01:16 AM
Don't care for the Wildcat myself as the success rate seems iffy. I would personally like to see a slick shovel pass or even a (God forgive me) jump pass like St. Tebow uses.

Collier11
12/1/2009, 01:17 AM
Jump pass is retardedly retarded

sooner59
12/1/2009, 01:27 AM
Jump pass is retardedly retarded

Somebody should have told this to Urban Meyer on Saturday.

Hint: It didn't work for Tebow's final play at home, hehe.

tommieharris91
12/1/2009, 01:40 AM
The true Wildcat (not the thing where the QB is split out as a WR) allows you to put a extra blocker on the field instead of the QB. The formation needs practice time devoted to it. This is time that could be spent working on the rest of the offense. Until our OLs learn how to run block as a team, I don't wanna see it.

adoniijahsooner
12/1/2009, 07:43 AM
If we get Cam Newton next year, we will not need the wildhorsepig.

adoniijahsooner
12/1/2009, 07:45 AM
Somebody should have told this to Urban Meyer on Saturday.

Hint: It didn't work for Tebow's final play at home, hehe.

But oddly enough we have allowed that play to score twice.:(

OUmillenium
12/1/2009, 09:12 AM
The wildcat can be very effective - just look at Florida, Oregon and West Virginia - it's their regular offense. Their wildcat back happens to be listed as the regular QB. When most teams run it (including OU), it seems to be a me-too gimmick thrown in without much thought. And now that almost every team does it, the D sees it enough to know what to do. The only time I see if being very effective is against poor defenses that can be beaten with the regular offense anyway. I think it makes sense if you have a special athlete that can really run the read option, otherwise it is very predictable. But fans do seem to really like it, so sometimes you play to the crowd.

BOULDER IS KEVIN WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Blues1
12/1/2009, 10:32 AM
THE REAL WILDCAT FORMATION ~~ !
As I see It ~~~
When you take out your qb (and Do Not make him a Spilt End)
You can then add a (extra blocker/running back) - What you now have is the OLD Single Wing Formation with the new name (Wild Cat)
On Plus Side - Some Benefits are:
*IF your QB needs rest or is injured you have new design plays already to go....
*The extra blocker/running back gives you a blocking advantage over the defense...(Especially inside the Redzone 10 yard Line)
*Direct snap to running back gives you a timeing advantage (no time wasted doing a hand off)
*Running back has spilt second more to watch for hole openings
*Other teams must take extra time in practice to prepare for it....
*Sometimes you get Lucky and have running back who can also pass....(If Needed)
* Quick Kicks from this formation can also become a weapon....
* A Quick Reverse Play to the other running back take less time to develop...

:) In high school - back in 50's - my high school team ran "The Georiga Tech T formation Belly series" and "The Norte Dame Box formation" (a Version of the Single Wing) - We won our conference three years in a row ~~ And I can teach it to the SOONERS for only $50,000 Grand a year....
Somebody call Bob Stoops ~~~~ :)

Have Fun and Keep Rockin'

MeMyself&Me
12/1/2009, 11:07 AM
THE REAL WILDCAT FORMATION ~~ !
As I see It ~~~
When you take out your qb (and Do Not make him a Spilt End)
You can then add a (extra blocker/running back) - What you now have is the OLD Single Wing Formation with the new name (Wild Cat)
On Plus Side - Some Benefits are:
*IF your QB needs rest or is injured you have new design plays already to go....
*The extra blocker/running back gives you a blocking advantage over the defense...(Especially inside the Redzone 10 yard Line)
*Direct snap to running back gives you a timeing advantage (no time wasted doing a hand off)
*Running back has spilt second more to watch for hole openings
*Other teams must take extra time in practice to prepare for it....
*Sometimes you get Lucky and have running back who can also pass....(If Needed)
* Quick Kicks from this formation can also become a weapon....
* A Quick Reverse Play to the other running back take less time to develop...

:) In high school - back in 50's - my high school team ran "The Georiga Tech T formation Belly series" and "The Norte Dame Box formation" (a Version of the Single Wing) - We won our conference three years in a row ~~ And I can teach it to the SOONERS for only $50,000 Grand a year....
Somebody call Bob Stoops ~~~~ :)

Have Fun and Keep Rockin'

Yup, and I'll add that splitting the QB out maintains the same 'extra blocker' by removing a defender from the play as well... that QB still has to be covered. I have no problem with this offense. It worked for decades as the most popular offense before WWII so there is merit, even if today's teams only use it occasionally. I got no problem with it being in the playbook.

However, I thought it was dumb when we used it against BYU with Bradford healthy. Why would you want to remove your heisman winner from the play? As far as using it after he was injured, I wished we ran it more often.

85sooners
12/30/2009, 07:15 PM
:pop:

LRoss
12/30/2009, 08:16 PM
D'oh, sorry.

OU Adonis
12/30/2009, 08:20 PM
I find the Wildcat amusing. People say you can't run the option anymore but all the Wildcat formation is, is a form of option.

BASSooner
12/31/2009, 03:56 AM
Wildcat, although creative it's too predictable. A RB lined up at QB....makes you wonder if he'll pass the ball....right? I'd rather have a QB who's an expert at fake handoffs, option, also run the ball successfully AND a decent thrower IN(and out) of the pocket. He'd make an offense so unpredictable.

swardboy
12/31/2009, 07:37 AM
I find the Wildcat amusing. People say you can't run the option anymore but all the Wildcat formation is, is a form of option.

So true...put Steve Davis in at QB: Hey, we ran the wildcat every play back then!

Crucifax Autumn
12/31/2009, 08:48 AM
Run whatever works, but don't start letting recruits do the offensive planning before they even arrive.

MojoRisen
12/31/2009, 10:26 AM
You have an extra blocker for just about every guy on the field and it is quicker to the wholes.

rawlingsHOH
12/31/2009, 10:34 AM
Well it works for alot of teams if it is run correctly

Where teams go wrong is they often don't put an inside running threat at QB.

You need Murray taking the snap, NOT Broyles. Ronnie Brown, Tebow, etc.

The defense has to respect from inside out.