PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Shoots Down Notre Dame Rumors

Octavian
11/30/2009, 03:32 PM
and there you go

Stoops: "What I am saying is that I am going to be at Oklahoma next year!" (http://oklahoma.scout.com/2/924725.html)

jduggle
11/30/2009, 03:34 PM
Nice find... now CBUS... remember this next time your gut has a feeling.

OUDoc
11/30/2009, 03:34 PM
So you're saying there's a chance.

:)

MyT Oklahoma
11/30/2009, 03:35 PM
I just got a text to this affect from The Daily Oklahoman. Hopefully it wasn't from Jenni Carlson.

P.S. Thank God. Glad Stoops is a Sooner.

sooner59
11/30/2009, 03:36 PM
And Bob said **** the domers! :D

olevetonahill
11/30/2009, 03:36 PM
Now if he would Just SHOOT some of these idjit Posters here :D

Collier11
11/30/2009, 03:38 PM
OU fans freak out cus Stoops wont come out and say he will retire a Sooner, the fact is he has never shown a desire to go somewhere else and I honestly think if he was ready to move on he would make it known

setem
11/30/2009, 03:40 PM
So it is written, so it shall be done!

Soonerus
11/30/2009, 03:42 PM
Thank goodness this did not last for another 2 weeks...

tulsaoilerfan
11/30/2009, 03:43 PM
I don't get why the media people think that Notre Dame is an elite job; the Irish haven't been relevant on the national scene for almost two decades and the facillities are crap compared to most of the top programs; the Notre Dame myth is just that.

olevetonahill
11/30/2009, 03:44 PM

No shat Bro . I would have worn out my Spekker :D

Plus like Coach said "Some of the recruits were gettin a lil nervous "

Collier11
11/30/2009, 03:45 PM
They are only relevant in their own eyes and NBCs, other than that, not so much

Octavian
11/30/2009, 03:50 PM

+ infinity....that would have been endless hell :O

and this part is really good:

"I fully intend to be at Oklahoma and hopefully for a good while. You never know what the good lord brings you, but in the end I couldn't be more excited, even through a tough year, the quality of kids we are working with and the great people we work with daily in our administration," Stoops continued.

"In the end the players I am recruiting understand that is what I am excited about and that's what I intend to do. Again, I couldn't be more excited and pleased about what we are doing here and what the future holds."

woot! :D

CBUS_SOONER
hope your correct... Still not convinced

budbarrybob
Great! now what am i supposed to do with the 40 hour block of time my psychaitrist was gonna use to bring me off the ledge? :D

Octavian
11/30/2009, 04:00 PM
Griffin of ESPN now reporting...

Stoops: "I'm going to be at Oklahoma next year, so I can't be at two places at once." (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4701121)

KantoSooner
11/30/2009, 04:17 PM
OU is set to compete for a B12 title and maybe more next year (when you look at what the rest of the south will graduate and what other conferences are dealing with in terms of fall off). Contrast that to a ND program that is, at best, a long term rebuilding project, and one that has some built-in problems in recruiting elite non-Catholic talent. and then toss in a 25% pay cut?
Frankly, he'd be nuts to take it and they would be deliriously lucky to get him. They're going to have to grow their next coach: ND is no longer a mid- or end-of-career job for a proven quantity.

Collier11
11/30/2009, 04:23 PM

convinced of what? its not that hard

jduggle
11/30/2009, 04:23 PM
SI.com also running the story...

Scott D
11/30/2009, 04:37 PM
They are only relevant in their own eyes and NBCs, other than that, not so much

and if this Comcast deal can get done soon, not even NBC's eyes anymore.

olevetonahill
11/30/2009, 04:40 PM

So yer sayin you think Bob is a Liar ? :rolleyes:

VA Sooner
11/30/2009, 04:45 PM
Thank god he quashed these rumors.

Be done with it and let's get back to Bowl preparation.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2009, 04:48 PM
Griffin of ESPN now reporting...

Stoops: "I'm going to be at Oklahoma next year, so I can't be at two places at once." (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4701121)

Pretty cocky for a guy that went 7-5. Has Joe C. decided he gets another chance? :P

Collier11
11/30/2009, 04:50 PM
He is just sick of being asked about jobs that arent even open for the last 8 10 years, ND wasnt even a job possibility before today

Scott D
11/30/2009, 05:11 PM
except those comments were after ole charlie was given his walking papers.

KingWKB
11/30/2009, 05:24 PM
I think it's funny that Stoops is always mentioned as a top candidate at schools and we never hear Mack Browns name come up. Ever. That should tell you something about how people around the country view these two coaches.

yankee
11/30/2009, 05:24 PM
OU is set to compete for a B12 title and maybe more next year (when you look at what the rest of the south will graduate and what other conferences are dealing with in terms of fall off). Contrast that to a ND program that is, at best, a long term rebuilding project, and one that has some built-in problems in recruiting elite non-Catholic talent. and then toss in a 25% pay cut?
Frankly, he'd be nuts to take it and they would be deliriously lucky to get him. They're going to have to grow their next coach: ND is no longer a mid- or end-of-career job for a proven quantity.

how would it be a 25% pay cut? bob is currently making 3.8 mil a year, and fat charlie is making 4.2 mil a year. agree with everything else though.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-spt-coach-salary-chart-2009,0,3767955.htmlstory

SoonerLB
11/30/2009, 05:27 PM
Well, if Bob can't get by on 3.8, 4.2 ain't gonna make a lot of difference, just sayin' ........... ;)

KantoSooner
11/30/2009, 05:33 PM
Yankee, The number I heard ND able to pay whoever is next is /was $3 million. I had understood Bob to be getting 'about $4'. That was the basis of my calculation. Sorry if I disturbed your 'wa' with the seat of the pants math.

Notre Dame is still a steaming pile.

yankee
11/30/2009, 05:34 PM
Well, if Bob can't get by on 3.8, 4.2 ain't gonna make a lot of difference, just sayin' ........... ;)

no doubt...but with all the notre dame hatred, "facts" can be pulled out of asses pretty quickly and then taken as the truth. unless there's something i'm missing, bob would be taking a raise. anyway, besides the main point...glad to still have him in crimson and cream. lord knows i wouldn't be able to handle seeing him wearing a ND visor on nbc on saturdays.

stoopified
11/30/2009, 05:35 PM
how would it be a 25% pay cut? bob is currently making 3.8 mil a year, and fat charlie is making 4.2 mil a year. agree with everything else though.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-spt-coach-salary-chart-2009,0,3767955.htmlstoryYou are obviously forgetting that Weis was paid in Leprechaun bucks,only woth 50 cents outside of South Bend. :D

yankee
11/30/2009, 05:36 PM
Yankee, The number I heard ND able to pay whoever is next is /was $3 million. I had understood Bob to be getting 'about $4'. That was the basis of my calculation. Sorry if I disturbed your 'wa' with the seat of the pants math.

Notre Dame is still a steaming pile.

thanks for the clarification. i assume it would be a lower salary because ND would still by paying weis even though he wouldn't be coaching anymore?

Octavian
11/30/2009, 10:50 PM
ok...so apparently some people were unconvinced from Bob's earlier statements today -- mainly some 'experts' at ESPN (NFL gurus, no less) and a great deal of hopeful Irish and anti-OU internet fans....

so adding to what Jay has already provided from his sources, this comes from the TW:

Stoops denies ESPN report linking him to Notre Dame

For the second time in five hours Monday, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops denied rumors and reports that he was leaving to take the Notre Dame job, which opened earlier in the day when Charlie Weis was fired after five seasons.

Even though Stoops insisted during an early afternoon teleconference that he was “going to be at Oklahoma next season,” ESPN reported that negotiations were still ongoing between Notre Dame officials and either Stoops or his representatives.

“Word sweeping the coaching circles today is that Notre Dame is interested in Bob Stoops and the interest is mutual,” ESPN NFL reporter Adam Schefter said on Monday Night Countdown. “Even though he’s got a contract at Oklahoma that runs through 2015 and even though he said today he fully intends to be at Oklahoma
next season.”

When the Tulsa World contacted Stoops via text about ESPN’s story, his return text said: “You should know everything reported isn’t true.”

When asked if Stoops' statements during the afternoon teleconference should be believed, Stoops replied in a text: “You should, if you do know me. I don’t lie."

During an afternoon teleconference, Stoops said: “I fully intend to be at Oklahoma, hopefully, for a good while. You never know what the good Lord brings you. But in the end, even through a tough year, there are good, quality kids I’m working with, great people I work with here in our administration.”

In a follow-up, Stoops was asked specifically about the Notre Dame job.

“What I’m saying is I’m going to be at Oklahoma next year. I can’t be in two places at once,” he replied. “If Joe (Castiglione, OU’s athletics director) will have me and President (David) Boren, that’s what I’m going to do. ...

“I couldn’t be more happy and pleased with what we’re doing here. I’m not confirming or denying anything about Notre Dame or any other job. My point is this is what I love doing right now.”

The belief that Stoops had reached the top of Notre Dame’s wish list began with a Chicago Sun-Times report two weeks ago, then ran rampant on Notre Dame-based Internet and blog sites. Eventually, national media outlets picked up the scent, and it got to the point where Stoops and Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick supposedly met in the aftermath of the Sooners’ 27-0 victory over Oklahoma State on Saturday.

Which was odd, since the Irish still had a football coach until this afternoon.

“I can’t help what’s said,” Stoops commented Monday in the teleconference. “But in the end I couldn’t be more excited and pleased with what we’re doing here and what the future holds. ...

“What I’m saying is I intend to be at Oklahoma. That’s the only place right now.”

Stoops said his policy is to “never confirm or deny whether I talk or don’t talk to anybody.” So any notion that he ever had any interest in Notre Dame remains a mystery.

More certain is Stoops’ intention to return for a 12th season with the Sooners. He’ll try to build on the injury-ravaged, 7-5 regular season he just endured, his worst since going 7-4 in 1999, his first year in Norman.

By DAVE SITTLER and GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writers

the link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091130_92_0_NORMAN161721)

soonerborn30
11/30/2009, 11:37 PM
The dude on Monday Night Countdown said that the ND search party had contacted Bob Stoops' representative. The only problem with that is that said representative also represents about a dozen other coaches. Most notably Kirk Ferentz from Iowa. He also represents a couple other midwest area guys in the Minny coach and the Wisco coach...oh, and Mangino as well.

And FWIW, there weren't any flights out of Norman's airport yesterday going to South Bend. So either they're being sneaky and meeting in Chicago or he didn't go at all.

VA Sooner
11/30/2009, 11:56 PM
Don't forget about the extra bonuses for staying, bowl games, Big 12 Championships, National Championships, etc. He also does endorsements for the university and gets money for that...

all told, about $6 million for a good year.

Collier11
12/1/2009, 12:02 AM
In reality there are only 3 scenarios I could ever see Stoops leaving for in the future

1) He gets tired of CFB and wants to challenge himself in the NFL-doubtful IMO

2) Iowa for the chance to coach his alma mater

3) Florida

Other than that, I dont see any other college job getting him away from Norman

sooner94
12/1/2009, 12:16 AM
I think it's funny that Stoops is always mentioned as a top candidate at schools and we never hear Mack Browns name come up. Ever. That should tell you something about how people around the country view these two coaches.

You know, I never thought about that before. You are right. Why isn't Mack ever mentioned for other jobs? Must be age. Mack is a little older and looks a lot older.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 12:23 AM
You know, I never thought about that before. You are right. Why isn't Mack ever mentioned for other jobs? Must be age. Mack is a little older and looks a lot older.

1. Nobody else gets a hard-on for the city of Austin.
2. Nobody else wants to change their colors to burnt orange.
3. Other school also laugh when Texas turns the ball over and Mack claps.
4. No other college coach has Vince Young on their team, so they know a title is unreachable with MB.
5. He jogs around campus with his old b***s hanging out his shorts. EWWW!!!

:texan:

Piware
12/1/2009, 12:23 AM
Did ND contact Mike Gundy or did his hair scare them off?!?

soonerborn30
12/1/2009, 12:25 AM
Yes, but it was just to exchange hair product tips.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 12:25 AM
Did ND contact Mike Gundy or did his hair scare them off?!?

The Good Lord said "Thou shalt not spiketh thy hair!". [hairGel]

soonerborn30
12/1/2009, 12:42 AM
FWIW, Herbstreit just said about Meyer and Stoops going to ND..."it's not going to happen. There is no way they'd go there to start over. It won't happen"

Surely they must use ESPN as an example in all those fancy journalism classes at Mizzou...

yankee
12/1/2009, 12:44 AM
Yes, but it was just to exchange hair product tips.

http://i48.tinypic.com/rbfymc.jpg

=

http://i48.tinypic.com/2v30q9v.jpg

yankee
12/1/2009, 12:45 AM
holy hell that pic was way bigger than i wanted it to be.

soonerborn30
12/1/2009, 12:49 AM
Look at that. Not a strand of hair untouched by the masterful work of Bed Head. This guy looks like he's just a couple of questionable life decisions away from being that dude at the bar in the Affliction Tshirt that wears WAY too much Drakkar Noir. God bless you, Mikey Hairgel. God bless you and the (unintentional) comedy you provide.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 12:59 AM
Mike Gundy's inspiration?

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/klip342/Guidos.png

meoveryouxinfinity
12/1/2009, 09:52 AM

can you say that word on this message board? lol

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2009, 09:56 AM
"93 - 47% chance Stoops will be gone to ND" Dean Belvins...

Partial Qualifier
12/1/2009, 10:12 AM
ESPN is the National Enquirer of sports coverage. During the Pats/Saints game last night, they showed a little teaser about Bowden & Weis vacating, which included a clip of Stoops on the sidelines. No explanation given about Stoops' appearance in the shot.

It reminded me of something. Does anyone remember that dooshbag ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen, reporting live from Valley Ranch and stating "There's no chance at ALL Barry Switzer is even considered for the Dallas Cowboys job".

That spot was literally like 7 minutes before the announcement of Switz as H.C.. :D

FaninAma
12/1/2009, 11:44 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/rbfymc.jpg

=

http://i48.tinypic.com/2v30q9v.jpg

Mike Gundy is known as Sonic the Hedgehog around our house.

badger
12/1/2009, 12:44 PM
here's the latest on Stoops:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091201_92_0_InSanD57084)

“I don’t know where (Schefter) is getting his information, but it’s wrong,” Stoops said in a telephone interview. “It’s all been wrong.”

Collier11
12/1/2009, 12:54 PM
FWIW, Shefter posted a message on Twitter stating that he was wrong, his sources told him wrong, and he is going to stick to the NFL. I have no problem with that, he took responsibility for it which very few in that profession do these days

sooner59
12/1/2009, 02:56 PM
can you say that word on this message board? lol

Oh crap!!! Sorry Folks!

I didn't mean to say the name Gundy and immediately follow it with "inspiration". I knew that was wrong and I apologize.

Sorry guys! :O

SoonerLB
12/1/2009, 03:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/gundybowling.jpg

tommieharris91
12/1/2009, 03:56 PM

To answer that question: No. Your fake tan and lip gloss do.

tommieharris91
12/1/2009, 04:17 PM
Heh. ND fans are interpreting this as him NOT saying he's staying at OU.

sooner59
12/1/2009, 04:27 PM
Heh. ND fans are interpreting this as him NOT saying he's staying at OU.

They are grasping at minute thing they can because they know that if they don't get Stoops, it proves their program is not as illustrious as it once was. They will have to "settle" on a coach decides to take a chance on them.

TAFBSooner
12/1/2009, 04:34 PM
Bob Stoops does not want to ever be compared to Lester Miles, by Oklahomans of any affiliation. That's enough for me!

illinisooner
12/1/2009, 05:59 PM
It's quite obvious he's staying here, but the annoying "I dunno man, everyone says they're happy where they're at until they leave" arguments from friends who are indifferent or anti OU **** me off. Just unneeded stress lol.

Soonerpsycho
12/1/2009, 09:29 PM
http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/notredamestoopschance.jpg

47straight
12/2/2009, 12:10 PM
It's quite obvious he's staying here, but the annoying "I dunno man, everyone says they're happy where they're at until they leave" arguments from friends who are indifferent or anti OU **** me off. Just unneeded stress lol.

My usual approach is then insist money be wagered.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/2/2009, 01:05 PM
They are grasping at minute thing they can because they know that if they don't get Stoops, it proves their program is not as illustrious as it once was. They will have to "settle" on a coach decides to take a chance on them.

They should have figured that out the last time they had to settle for their 5th choice.

Scott D
12/2/2009, 02:00 PM
They should have figured that out the last two times they had to settle for their 5th choice.

fixed.

AAABearcat
12/2/2009, 02:01 PM
There is a rumour on ND & Cincy boards that Stoops is in Youngstown Ohio for a funeral and that Eddie DeBartolo, Swarbrick and Fr. Jenkins are meeting with him. Does anyone know if Stoops is in Ohio today? [this is definitely the silly season]
This story is getting legs because Kelly has changed his previous equivocating statements from yesterday to; he is staying at Cincinnati this morning

Collier11
12/2/2009, 02:07 PM
He is there for the funeral of his Grandmother

AAABearcat
12/2/2009, 02:15 PM
He is there for the funeral of his Grandmother

Thanks; what are the odds of Stoops pulling a Thad Matta?[swearing you are staying, signing a long term contract with your current school and saying you haven't talked to another school and leaving the next day]

OUDoc
12/2/2009, 02:22 PM
As I've said before, Bob's always shot it straight. I don't think he likes people who twist the truth, so I don't think he'd do it himself.

olevetonahill
12/2/2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks; what are the odds of Stoops pulling a Thad Matta?[swearing you are staying, signing a long term contract with your current school and saying you haven't talked to another school and leaving the next day]

:rolleyes:

AAABearcat
12/2/2009, 02:49 PM
As I've said before, Bob's always shot it straight. I don't think he likes people who twist the truth, so I don't think he'd do it himself.

Well that would explain leaving Youngstown, not many there like that; from their congressmen to their mafioso.