PDA

View Full Version : i love watching our special teams

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2009, 01:34 PM
the athletic football talent of the young kids is just unreal. i also have to wonder if keenan clayton will get a look and be able to survive in the NFL as a special teams wizard.

my favorite play of the weekend, outside of that crazy catch by that ole miss receiver, was on broyle's punt return. the poor pokey coverage guy committed the cardinal sin of kick coverage - thou shall not spin thy shoulder pads before you look first* - and ronnell lewis decleated, desnotted, de-whatever'd him.

*it doesn't help you getting hammered, but if you don't spin your shoulder pads they'll hit you in the back, most likely drawing a flag.

i think the thing that i like the most about the new kids coming up (nelson, lewis, hurst) is that they aren't paper speed guys, they have football speed. with some of the guys you have to be told they are fast, but with nelson, hurst, whatever you can see that they are faster than the other guys on the field.

oh, and speaking of speed, that OSU kicker had some wheels. if he is the punter too, i'd run a fake a game with him just to force the other team into punt safe most of the time.

Widescreen
11/30/2009, 01:39 PM
Too bad Nelson's a senior next year.

IowaSooner26
11/30/2009, 01:43 PM
oh, and speaking of speed, that OSU kicker had some wheels. if he is the punter too, i'd run a fake a game with him just to force the other team into punt safe most of the time.

That is what I was thinking. I thought to myself "awesome! kicker to beat. Broyles has this one." Then the damn punter decided to run almost stride for stride with him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2009, 01:48 PM
Too bad Nelson's a senior next year.

BJW recruits to templates. he finds a player that he likes and he goes out and finds someone similar (wilkerson/jackson/beal - cody/english). to this point, he just had guys that had come before (strait/jackson - everage/carter), but some of his experiments are looking pretty frickin good.

picasso
11/30/2009, 01:51 PM
The Poke coverage was out kicked on the TD jaunt but they made no effort to tackle once they got there.
I think Clayton get's drafted just for his numbers. A 40" vertical is nothing to blow snot at.

Widescreen
11/30/2009, 01:54 PM
BTW, that R. Lewis hit was one of the weakest I've seen him deliver this year. He basically just shoved the guy to the ground unless you're talking about something else. I've seen him decleat people and that wasn't an example.

NormanPride
11/30/2009, 01:54 PM
Yup. NFL will see his measurables and drool.

Sooner04
11/30/2009, 02:03 PM
If JaMarcus Russell can "combine" his way to the #1 pick I'd imagine Clayton could do the same and be drafted on day two.

okienole3
11/30/2009, 02:08 PM
The thing that stuck out to me on both of the long returns by Broyles was the hustle of Flemming.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2009, 02:09 PM
BTW, that R. Lewis hit was one of the weakest I've seen him deliver this year. He basically just shoved the guy to the ground unless you're talking about something else. I've seen him decleat people and that wasn't an example.

the initial hit that freed broyles up he knocked the poke 3 feet into the air.

NormanPride
11/30/2009, 02:09 PM
But JaMarcus is a big guy! And he can throw far!

Widescreen
11/30/2009, 02:50 PM
the initial hit that freed broyles up he knocked the poke 3 feet into the air.

If you're talking about what he did at 5:35 of this video, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the meaning of "decleat" and "3 feet into the air".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2slbCwG76Cg

Scott D
11/30/2009, 02:59 PM
But JaMarcus is a big guy! And he can throw far!

yeah, and he can't hit a target the size of a barn 10 yards downfield accurately :mad:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2009, 03:44 PM
If you're talking about what he did at 5:35 of this video, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the meaning of "decleat" and "3 feet into the air".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2slbCwG76Cg

i can see your point how it looks lame from that angle. i was slomoing it from the end zone point of view and it looked pretty brutal.

sooneron
11/30/2009, 04:05 PM
Ronnell Lewis is a force to be reckoned with...

primetime43
11/30/2009, 04:24 PM
Ronnell Lewis is a force to be reckoned with...

Can't wait to see him on defense next year. Man among boys!

NormanPride
11/30/2009, 04:24 PM
How do you get the coach's cam, jkm?

44BluesExplosion
11/30/2009, 04:35 PM
Nelson has scary speed at times. I wonder what he runs in the 40? I guess it doesn't matter.

As for the lewis hit, I saw it from the 20 with my toes on the "if you cross this line, you won't be on the sidelines anymore" line and it looked brutal. In that replay, it doesn't look special at all. Weird.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2009, 05:08 PM
How do you get the coach's cam, jkm?

i was watching on TV, they showed the replay of him breaking to the left from the end zone.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2009, 05:25 PM
Being an old timer, Broyles reminds me of when Joe Washington was returning punts. Everyone in the stadium would be on their feet and holding their breath while little Joe as waiting to catch that punt. With Joe, it was part excitement of what he might do on the return and part fear that he would fumble :) Broyles is much more polished and catches the ball cleanly and rarely makes a mistake on whether on not to fair catch.

Widescreen
11/30/2009, 05:48 PM
I long for the days of the Reggie Smith "catch and fall down" punt returns. ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2009, 06:13 PM
i couldn't find the angle i was looking for, but i did find this :D

YglrzDO2etA

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2009, 07:26 PM
I long for the days of the Reggie Smith "catch and fall down" punt returns. ;)

****, that's IF he caught it.

VA Sooner
12/1/2009, 12:08 AM
Don't even start to remind me about Reggie in Colorado...

sooner94
12/1/2009, 12:23 AM
If JaMarcus Russell can "combine" his way to the #1 pick I'd imagine Clayton could do the same and be drafted on day two.

Russel didn't even participate in the combine, which makes it even more unbelievable that the Raiders took him #1. Yeah, he did the on-campus work-out for the scouts, but only doing a cameo at the combine was a sign of things to come.

Piware
12/1/2009, 12:28 AM
That is what I was thinking. I thought to myself "awesome! kicker to beat. Broyles has this one." Then the damn punter decided to run almost stride for stride with him.

Broyles was just running for a touchdown - that kicker was running for his life.

Scott D
12/1/2009, 11:22 AM
Russel didn't even participate in the combine, which makes it even more unbelievable that the Raiders took him #1. Yeah, he did the on-campus work-out for the scouts, but only doing a cameo at the combine was a sign of things to come.

Toasting a pathetic ND defense in the Sugar Bowl is what got Russell the #1 pick.