PDA

View Full Version : The PRRRRRRRRRRRIDE of Oklahoma!

Sooner04
11/30/2009, 11:06 AM
This is not a thread to bash the band. It's just a thread from a fan who enjoys the band and is concerned with what he's hearing from those close to the group.

1. Coach was the man. :)

2. Following the Texas spitting debacle there was a supposed mass exodus from the Pride. I noticed holes in the formations each week that seemed to grow more and more obvious.

3. The senior class was so small this year that they had to form an "O" at midfield instead of the interlocking "OU" we've grown accustomed to on Senior Day.

4. Britt is a twerp. Unfortunately he is now tenured.

5. The Pride only made four cuts in tryouts this year.

6. This gets worse before it gets better. The junior class is supposedly smaller than this year's very small senior class.

As much as I love what Boren has done with this University, I'm afraid he's found a mouthpiece in Britt to suck out all the fun in the Pride. It's sad. I miss the Halloween shows and tomfoolery that used to be associated with our band.

Jello Biafra
11/30/2009, 11:10 AM
so you're saying Dr. Lee is leading this band?

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 11:12 AM
When the poke band took the field...I went for a walk.

Jack T.
11/30/2009, 11:20 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Pride. . .and was surprised at how poorly they looked compared to the Aggie Band at the A&M game. Granted, A&M has a *spectacular* band. . .

OKLA21FAN
11/30/2009, 11:31 AM
1. Coach was the man. :)

remember when the Pride would simply play 'loud and proud' and seemed to have fun doing it and everything seemed to enjoy listening to them?

good times :pop:

thesnowbishop
11/30/2009, 11:56 AM
My only gripe with the pride this year is that I can't hear them very well. They may be dead on musically, but their lack of volume gets in the way.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2009, 11:58 AM
Its a shell of its former self unfortunately.

badger
11/30/2009, 12:00 PM
I, too, was surprised that there was only enough seniors to form an "O," and not the "U" too, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that the OSU band was better. The OSU band was totally awful and I saw at least two of them lose their hats during halftime's performance in the midst of all that wind Saturday... tee hee.

I think a lot of gameday traditions at this point are getting overly manufactured... and that includes the band. At some point, OU is gonna start planting people and speakers around the stadium to get you all to stop yelling "Sooners" at the end of the nat'l anthem because of this lack of obedience to Boren's order to stop yelling it :D

IGotNoTiming
11/30/2009, 12:01 PM
Coach was the man... and still is...... we should also remember Roland Barrett

He was awesome and was the architect behind all of the half time shows when I was marching. He wrote the drill and charted nearly all of the music....

I also drummed in the Men's BBall band for a couple of years for Roland and he was flat out the coolest guy ever... it was sad that he moved on and the band's music or drill hasn't been the same since.

Oldnslo
11/30/2009, 12:02 PM
I've spoken of my disappointment with the Pride more than a few times.

Most recently, I have been horrified to listen at the end of a game. Remember, "Poor Aggies"? Now, we don't "Poor" anybody. it's just "go sooners".

Now, there is absolutely nobody on the good Lord's green Earth who is more for OU than I, but from time to time, a little bit of smack is a good thing. Not overdone, just good fun.

More than anything, Britt has sucked the fun out of the Pride. You can see it from the stands.

That being said, the Pride was still better than the aggie-lite band.

NormanPride
11/30/2009, 12:48 PM
Watered down, PC Pride >>>>>>>>>>>>> aggie band

I wish Mr. Britt would nut up and run it like I know he wants to. He used to be in the drumline at OU, and that dude hates Texas like any red-blooded Sooner... He just doesn't have the nads to tell Castiglione and Boren to shove it when they complain that the Pride hurt someone's feelers.

C&CDean
11/30/2009, 01:16 PM
Do the ags still have the flaglets?

badger
11/30/2009, 01:34 PM

They had boys carrying flags, if that's what you mean.

The flag boys were not decked out entirely in orange like usual. I think they were in white like the team uniforms. Wonder if they wore black against Colorado? ;)

OUMallen
11/30/2009, 01:38 PM
the Texas spitting debacle there was a supposed mass exodus from the Pride.

What happened? :confused:

TMcGee86
11/30/2009, 03:05 PM
FIRE BRITT VENERABLES!!!!

CincySooner
11/30/2009, 03:06 PM
3. The senior class was so small this year that they had to form an "O" at midfield instead of the interlocking "OU" we've grown accustomed to on Senior Day.

wow... that's a far cry from even the early Britt years. There were MANY people that stayed on for a 5th, 6th, and in some cases 7th year in Pride.

Heck, I marched in 3 different "Senior" OU's fer cryin' out loud.

It'll never be like it was under Coach, and I've accepted it. :(

CrimsonandCreamForever
11/30/2009, 03:13 PM
The "spitting incident" and the deletion of "Poor (whoever just got shellacked by the Sooners)" are just the latest in several years of Britt "britting up" the Pride... :(

prrriiide
11/30/2009, 03:18 PM
I wish Mr. Britt would nut up and run it like I know he wants to. He used to be in the drumline at OU, and that dude hates Texas like any red-blooded Sooner... He just doesn't have the nads to tell Castiglione and Boren to shove it when they complain that the Pride hurt someone's feelers.

Sorry. FAIL.

I was in the Pride with Britt, and he was an arrogant dikk then. I knew as soon as he was announced that it was a bad decision. I don't think any of this is coming from Boren or JC. I think it is more to do with Britt taking everything he hated about The Pride under Coach (IOW, all the fun stuff and traditions) and getting rid of them.

I don't know if the job was offered to Roland, but if it wasn't it's a travesty. Roland is what made The Pride of the 80's & early 90's what it was.

cdlbdd
11/30/2009, 03:22 PM

That band is run exactly as Britt wants.

badger
11/30/2009, 03:33 PM
What happened? :confused:

I know the internet is a popular location for false rumors, so please take that in mind when I give this third, fourth or possibly 20th hand account of this...

Apparently, a UT fan saw an OU drummer spit in the Texas endzone during either pregame or halftime of the Red River Shootout (or Rivalry, depending on how old you are, heh) and e-mailed the OU band director to let him know about that.

Allegedly, the OU band director proceeded to e-mail back... not with "Thank you for letting me know, I will handle this immediately" or something short and sweet that wouldn't be worthy of getting posted all over the Internet to become fodder, the OU band director reportedly proceeded to e-mail not just the UT fan, but the UT athletic department (and OUrs too) telling way too much information almost to an embarrassing extent... the type of thing that ends up on message boards, in other words.

I am sure it's still on SF.com somewhere if you're not as lazy and me and archive search it, heh. I'm sure people that know more about the report would be happy to fill in and correct details as well.

EDIT: Ok, here is the link (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136072&highlight=brian+britt) to the other thread on this so you can form your own conclusions. Enjoy!

BoomerSoonerGoOU
11/30/2009, 04:02 PM
I also thought it was sad that there were only enough seniors to form an "O" on the field. Last year's senior class was numbered nearly 70. This year there were barely 30. There was a HUGE turnover rate this past year. In fact, this year's Pride numbered only 285 - the smallest its been since 1999.

THANKFULLY, they still were better than the Puke band. However, they are a band "on the rise." The "gap is closing." And Robin Hood is the sh*t!

BTW - I'm not sure if this is true as I heard this through the grapevine, but apparently a 5th year Pride member was pulled aside near the end of the game for chanting "Poor Aggies" to the cowbell chant. Britt told him to "have more class than that."

badger
11/30/2009, 04:08 PM
BTW - I'm not sure if this is true as I heard this through the grapevine, but apparently a 5th year Pride member was pulled aside near the end of the game for chanting "Poor Aggies" to the cowbell chant. Britt told him to "have more class than that."

Tee hee... I remember asking a stupid freshman why were calling the Cowboys the "Aggies" during that chant.

Oh... and that was 2001.We totally ended up losing that game It was because we didn't have class or something ;)

Jello Biafra
11/30/2009, 04:17 PM
I know the internet is a popular location for false rumors, so please take that in mind when I give this third, fourth or possibly 20th hand account of this...

Apparently, a UT fan saw an OU drummer spit in the Texas endzone during either pregame or halftime of the Red River Shootout (or Rivalry, depending on how old you are, heh) and e-mailed the OU band director to let him know about that.

Allegedly, the OU band director proceeded to e-mail back... not with "Thank you for letting me know, I will handle this immediately" or something short and sweet that wouldn't be worthy of getting posted all over the Internet to become fodder, the OU band director reportedly proceeded to e-mail not just the UT fan, but the UT athletic department (and OUrs too) telling way too much information almost to an embarrassing extent... the type of thing that ends up on message boards, in other words.

I am sure it's still on SF.com somewhere if you're not as lazy and me and archive search it, heh. I'm sure people that know more about the report would be happy to fill in and correct details as well.

EDIT: Ok, here is the link (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136072&highlight=brian+britt) to the other thread on this so you can form your own conclusions. Enjoy!

after reading the link....id like to kick some major band geek leader dude drum major AZZ...unfrigginbievable. that is soooo puzzy i cant even stand to think about it. taking an opposing fans "email" and turning on your troops? dude thats a frag grenade in yor azz for sure...and the drumline major punk? are you kidding me? did you really sell them out? you need to be stripped nekkid, rubbed raw with a brillo pad, splashed with gasoline and sent running with the rest of your drumline lighting a molitov cocktail....

Crucifax Autumn
11/30/2009, 04:56 PM

Flaggots?

Fraggle145
11/30/2009, 05:20 PM
From my seats in the the north endzone, the poke band who was further away always seemed louder than the pride.

TXBOOMER
11/30/2009, 07:28 PM
The only thing I know about the band is the Drum Major was the stiffest I've seen yet.

cdlbdd
11/30/2009, 08:06 PM
The only thing I know about the band is the Drum Major was the stiffest I've seen yet.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

TXBOOMER
11/30/2009, 09:31 PM
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Not in the context I'm speaking of. I'm talking about the inability to bend backwards during the opening march.

SoonerBanker
11/30/2009, 10:24 PM
My gripe is that I used to like taking my kids to see the drumline before each game because it sounded AWESOME. Now, they have added xylophones and it just sucks. I cannot stand even listening to it. A drumline should not have xylophones!!

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2009, 10:37 PM
Not in the context I'm speaking of. I'm talking about the inability to bend backwards during the opening march.

And correct me of I'm wrong, but don't they usually strut all the way to the goalline? Almost positive the last guy did. The current one stops at the 15 everytime.

SoonerPr8r
11/30/2009, 10:43 PM
I think this kind of thing is infectious to the entire crowd at the game. If the band doesn't lead the pack in singing the traditional songs, or poor aggie no one else seems to do it. (other than that one section that does the osu sucks chant every single game)

Every game I see Sooner fans giving people dirty looks for starting up the BOOMER SOONER yell while standing in line to get into the game. That is something that has only started this year. Over the past few years I have noticed that the student section has gotten quieter, leave earlier and are just less crazy no matter what the record is. Any more it is like pulling teeth to get people over there to participate in cheers. Isn't that the supposed to be the craziest section in the entire stadium? I am almost glad that I am a Senior this year so I don't have to see it get worse.

MichiganSooner
11/30/2009, 10:46 PM
Always have strutted to the goalline.

cdlbdd
11/30/2009, 10:59 PM
I think this kind of thing is infectious to the entire crowd at the game. If the band doesn't lead the pack in singing the traditional songs, or poor aggie no one else seems to do it.

This is all too true. And is also kinda sad, especially in reference to the traditional tunes (I received a "WTF are you doing?" stare from the student in front of me at the last game as I sang "...we'll fight with all our might for the Red and White!")

Over the past few years I have noticed that the student section has gotten quieter, leave earlier and are just less crazy no matter what the record is. Any more it is like pulling teeth to get people over there to participate in cheers. Isn't that the supposed to be the craziest section in the entire stadium?

Some of us are trying to do our part! Not that it justifies it but the aggie-esque win/loss record and less than stellar home schedule could have played a role in the perceived 'lameness' of the student section/fans in general.

BRS
11/30/2009, 11:18 PM
My gripe is that I used to like taking my kids to see the drumline before each game because it sounded AWESOME. Now, they have added xylophones and it just sucks. I cannot stand even listening to it. A drumline should not have xylophones!!

Great point.....Drumline please no more xylophones.

soonerborn30
11/30/2009, 11:25 PM
I think this kind of thing is infectious to the entire crowd at the game. If the band doesn't lead the pack in singing the traditional songs, or poor aggie no one else seems to do it. (other than that one section that does the osu sucks chant every single game)

Every game I see Sooner fans giving people dirty looks for starting up the BOOMER SOONER yell while standing in line to get into the game. That is something that has only started this year. Over the past few years I have noticed that the student section has gotten quieter, leave earlier and are just less crazy no matter what the record is. Any more it is like pulling teeth to get people over there to participate in cheers. Isn't that the supposed to be the craziest section in the entire stadium? I am almost glad that I am a Senior this year so I don't have to see it get worse.

That'd be me, actually. That is, if you're referring to Section 23. We've been doing that for around 15 years, but it's only recently spread to other areas. Every game after the 3rd Q ends.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
11/30/2009, 11:38 PM
This is all too true. And is also kinda sad, especially in reference to the traditional tunes (I received a "WTF are you doing?" stare from the student in front of me at the last game as I sang "...we'll fight with all our might for the Red and White!")

Some of us are trying to do our part! Not that it justifies it but the aggie-esque win/loss record and less than stellar home schedule could have played a role in the perceived 'lameness' of the student section/fans in general.

You too? I know all the words to OK OKlahoma. Everytime I sing it, someone turns around and is like "WTF, there are words to that song?"

Sooner24
11/30/2009, 11:49 PM
I also thought it was sad that there were only enough seniors to form an "O" on the field. Last year's senior class was numbered nearly 70. This year there were barely 30. There was a HUGE turnover rate this past year. In fact, this year's Pride numbered only 285 - the smallest its been since 1999.

THANKFULLY, they still were better than the Puke band. However, they are a band "on the rise." The "gap is closing." And Robin Hood is the sh*t!

He was also told to report to Britt's office Tuesday. What's he gonna do keep him from going to El Paso? The might really end up being a reward.

Sooner24
11/30/2009, 11:51 PM
That'd be me, actually. That is, if you're referring to Section 23. We've been doing that for around 15 years, but it's only recently spread to other areas. Every game after the 3rd Q ends.

I'm in section 24 and you must be down around row 20 or so.

soonerborn30
12/1/2009, 12:00 AM
I'm on row 43, but I go down aways so my people i sit with can see me real good.

:D

Soonerfan88
12/1/2009, 12:13 AM
The Pride has been getting worse every year and I can't find any other reason than Britt. It also appears to have infected the cheerleaders and the student section. I wonder what it would take for Britt to be reassigned within the music department (won't be fired due to tenure)?

And soonerborn30, I've always laughed at the OSU Sucks but this weekend I was embarrassed. The entire time you were "cheering" an OSU player was lying hurt on the field. I can't imagine the outrage OU fans would have if this was reversed.

soonerborn30
12/1/2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah. I had no idea someone was down until I got done. When I got back to my seat, my wife said "you probably should have waited" and pointed at the field. I felt terrible for doing it at that time, and never would have done so had I known someone was hurt. Then I started wondering why the dozen or so people I've known forever didn't stop me as I was making my way through the row. Nor did anyone I stood in front of when I got down to my spot. To make matters worse, as I went back up the steps, my back still to the field, an Aggie tried to stop me by grabbing my arm. I told him to let go or I was going to bury my knee in his face. Turns out he was trying to congratulate me on being an insensitive a-hole. Sweet. :(

Soonerfan88
12/1/2009, 12:29 AM
Sorry, I was too far away to tell you. You would think someone would have said something, even if it was an Aggie yelling obscenities at you. :)

soonerborn30
12/1/2009, 12:33 AM
Exactly! I just thought they were all glaring because we were winning. I guess you can say karma struck since I did come home with a stupid-arse Oakley sunglasses tan line.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/1/2009, 12:40 AM

100% true. The guy is one of my best friends. It's quite hilarious if you ask me.

soonerguild
12/1/2009, 01:21 AM
I was in the drumline, spat on the whorn endzone both years in dallas, and would do it again. I was one of the last years that things weren't yet sissified under britt, but this is ridiculous. I am A) speechless that some intelligent whorn fan couldn't understand this when their band marches in chanting "beat the hell outta OU", and B) that it would be stopped. They could have kicked me out for it and I wouldn't have cared. Its bad enough they stopped almost all of our drumline traditions shorlty after I quit after 04, partially because it had gotten so ridiculous, but this is insane.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2009, 05:24 AM
My only gripe with the pride this year is that I can't hear them very well. They may be dead on musically, but their lack of volume gets in the way.

^^^ding, ding, ding.

Got into an arguement at a "professional" conference with a young "Britt" whipper-snapper. He couldn't say anything bad about Britt. He didn't have much good to say about Coach, other than he had a different style. I don't know, style's may be different and I guess both have their followers, but The Pride is supposed to Blow people away, not be a perfectly pitched concert band on the field (IMO). We made fun of the Florida State band during the Orange Bowl in '79 and '80 because we could hear their clarinets on the field. I have never liked how Britt's people seemed like dark suited "country clubbers" or such, I was never a Thrailkill GA, but I can't recall them acting like Britt's posse does.

Sad to hear of all the holes in formation. Three reasons for this, illness, "exams" or people quitting/being told to turn in their uniform. And if ever, anyone says OSU's band sounds or looks better than The Pride, then it is over and that director should be run out on rails.

King Barry's Back
12/1/2009, 06:40 AM
WOW! Just followed the link to the thread on the "Texas spitting" fiasco. (Thanks, Badj)

Beyond "Mr Williams" complaining email, and the response, (some questions on this, below) I have to say what a sad, sad state of affairs this band is in. I am very saddened to hear what has occured over recent years.
What the hell is going on? And no drinking on trips? These are adults.

I marched in the 1984 Pride (25 years, can you believe it!). I am from a very small town and I can't tell you how exciting it was to go to the New Years Eve party at the Pride's swank hotel the night before the Orange Bowl.

To think that's all over. It sucks.

Regarding the "spitting email" and response -- Is this confirmed? Is this legit? I'm almost calling bull**** on that email.

First, the language used in the email was just weird. The writer doesn't communicate in sentences and uses words like "remembrance." Who talks like that? Especially football fans? And if you were sending a BS email to get an embarrassing response, wouldn't you claim to be a former UT band member? And throw in a year at Lamar for laughs?

So, does anyone have any background on that piece of ****?

OUTrumpet
12/1/2009, 06:43 AM
We made fun of the Florida State band during the Orange Bowl in '79 and '80 because we could hear their clarinets on the field.

I've been to 2 games this year. BYU and Texas.

At BYU - has anyone noticed the pink flags? Like someone ordered red and white flags and then ran them through the laundry.

At Texas, I could hear the clarinets and saxophones. But I could not hear trumpets. :( And then the Texas band had a lot of brass and drums and had a fun show. Classic video games > old Star Trek + Linkin Park + new Star Trek.

badger
12/1/2009, 09:46 AM
The volume might have to do with the instrumentation. Didn't someone on here already say that they made only four cuts this year? Perhaps 100 clarinets and flutes auditioned, but only 20 trumpets, 15 trombones and 10 tubas, yknow? Not much you can do with that volume-wise.

So, I'll give em the benefit of the doubt there.

badger
12/1/2009, 09:48 AM
holy crap. double post. sorry.

badger
12/1/2009, 09:49 AM
my computer is weirding out. triple post?!?! sorry.

Soonersince57
12/1/2009, 11:11 AM
Just showing my age, but I was in the Pride in '75 and '76 - - Orange and Fiesta bowls (and we won both :) )

I don't like taking a shot at Britt, but the band, for whatever reason has kind of been underwhelming. Fundamentals don't seem to be good - - look left and right to see if you're in line for gosh sake; and scream your hate for Texas and their band -ALWAYS!!

But Boomer Sooner always sounds good whether it's 300 playing it or just a lone flute.

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2009, 11:13 AM
my computer is weirding out. triple post?!?! sorry.

you are doing it wrong!!!!!! :bsmf:

badger
12/1/2009, 11:23 AM
Sometimes these arguments are just "old alumni syndrome," where everything was better when we were in school - the band was louder, the band was funner, everything was greater when WE were there :D

But, you just can't look past the fact that the senior class was so small that they could only make an "O." Something clearly is wrong if seniors aren't sticking around like they used to. Heck, they just went to a title game last year and there were expectations that it would happen again with Sammie returning and other stars coming back! Who'd wanna miss another opportunity like last year?!

Apparently, a lot of people. Sad.

Soonersince57
12/1/2009, 11:27 AM
Sometimes these arguments are just "old alumni syndrome," where everything was better when we were in school - the band was louder, the band was funner, everything was greater when WE were there :D

Hey --- I resemble that!

badger
12/1/2009, 11:34 AM
Hey --- I resemble that!

Yes, yes you do - but we all do to some degree. Remember when waking up before 7 a.m. was unheard of? :D

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2009, 11:37 AM

maybe it was ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eocYQXOXInU

having a little 'fun' is a good thing

Soonersince57
12/1/2009, 11:41 AM
Yes, yes you do - but we all do to some degree. Remember when waking up before 7 a.m. was unheard of? :D

Yeah, Christmas parade of '75 I woke up just before 10 - - about half an hour before we were supposed to start. Rushed around and made it on time with one black sock and one red sock on. I worried the whole time that Coach would see it.

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2009, 12:26 PM
Yes, yes you do - but we all do to some degree. Remember when waking up before 7 a.m. was unheard of? :DThe trick was to just drink all night so you didn't have to "get up".

prrriiide
12/1/2009, 01:37 PM
The trick was to just drink all night so you didn't have to "get up".

I have no idea how many times my roomies on the road trips woke me up and poured me onto the bus with a wakey-wakey Turkey and coke. It was a bunch. A good, cold V-8 (swallowed in one long quaff, of course), a bit of the hair o' the dog, and off to rehearsal. Gatorade during rehearsal and then right as the rain for the game. You know you've done something right when Roland's advice to the freshmen for OU/tx weekend includes not accepting food or drink from you...

SokClari
12/1/2009, 01:42 PM
Looking at the posts on here I'm going against the grain. I was in the Pride for Mr. Britt's first 4 years and I thought it was a great experience. I have nothing but good things to say about the man. Maybe it/he has changed since I've been there but I can't imagine things have changed that much. Just thought I might throw that out there just so people know that not everyone has problems with the way things are run now.

RiddlerOK
12/1/2009, 02:31 PM
I was a member of the Pride in 1980-1981 and the one thing I remember the most is that every day we stepped out on the fields for practice, every single band member WANTED to be there, they WANTED to play for Coach and they genuinely ENJOYED being in the Pride. We were a family, we were close and we had FUN!!! I will never forget that.

We are NOT hearing that now with Britt so it sounds like he has taken all the fun out of being a member of the Pride. You can have fun and still want to do your best for the team so, in short, there is obviously something not working with Britt.

I don't know the man personally so I am not going to take a swipe at him but only point out as I said earlier, that something isn't working. Is it today's band student? Or is it Britt? You decide!

GottaHavePride
12/1/2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know if the job was offered to Roland, but if it wasn't it's a travesty. Roland is what made The Pride of the 80's & early 90's what it was.

It might have been offered. If it was, Roland didn't want the job, though. He's a composer, and he makes a good living writing music. Not just marching band arrangements - he writes original stuff that is MUCH better than anything he ever did for the Pride. I don't think running a marching band forever was exactly his dream job.

Except that that's a LEAST the third time the Pride has used Prince of Thieves as a closer. Sorry, but a third go-round for the music from a movie that's 18 YEARS OLD and isn't exactly an enduring classic? (Don't believe me? When was the last time it was on TV? A decade ago? You know what AMC is showing RIGHT NOW? K-9. Not ringing a bell? It's a movie starring Jim Belushi as a cop with a dog. It was TERRIBLE. But it gets more airtime than Prince of Thieves.)

Sorry, that kind of tune selection screams to me that they haven't had an original idea in a while. They've also beat the "El Toro / Tico Tico" show to death over the last several years.

I wonder what it would take for Britt to be reassigned within the music department (won't be fired due to tenure)?

He'd have to get another degree. You can't teach music theory or music history at OU without a doctorate in that field. He's already on the Music Ed faculty, and OU already has a professor and at least one assistant teaching percussion.

GottaHavePride
12/1/2009, 02:43 PM
I don't know the man personally so I am not going to take a swipe at him but only point out as I said earlier, that something isn't working. Is it today's band student? Or is it Britt? You decide!

More food for thought: I was in the Pride 1999-2002. I started playing the trombone in 5th grade. So by the time I got to the Pride, I had been playing a trombone for 9 years already (didn't march my freshman year - 98). Some guys in the band those years were on their 10th year IN PRIDE. So they had been playing their instruments for about 18 years, and were still in The Pride.

Now they're starting kids in band in 7th grade. So by the time they hit the Pride, they've only been playing their instruments for 6 years. No one I know of is staying in the Pride longer than 4 years, and many of the music ed majors are doing their required 2 years and out. So you have people who have been playing their instruments for at MOST, 10 years.

So consider your own respective career path... How big a gap is there between your skills after 6 years on the job, and after 18 years on the job?

That's PART of what's hitting the Pride now. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2009, 03:16 PM
Hey Prince of Thieves is exhibit 125 on why I cant stand Costner....He couldn't make up his mind what accent he wanted to use, so he used different ones throughout the movie..GENIUS!!

cdlbdd
12/1/2009, 04:21 PM
Honestly, I think Britt gets away with what he does because of the success of the football team.

Hear me out.

I think that back in the Blake/Schnelly days the football program was so miserable to be associated with that the ‘Glory Days’ pride found ways to have a good time.

Compare that to today’s football team and today’s Pride and the roles are reversed. Pride is what you suffer through so you can get to go to a big bowl game, travel to away games, and watch (usually) exceptional football up close.

When Pride members start to realize that they can still be fans of a great team, still go to football games both home and away, and not have to put up with the BS associated with today’s Pride, they leave.

prrriiide
12/1/2009, 04:23 PM
More food for thought: I was in the Pride 1999-2002. I started playing the trombone in 5th grade. So by the time I got to the Pride, I had been playing a trombone for 9 years already (didn't march my freshman year - 98). Some guys in the band those years were on their 10th year IN PRIDE. So they had been playing their instruments for about 18 years, and were still in The Pride.

Now they're starting kids in band in 7th grade. So by the time they hit the Pride, they've only been playing their instruments for 6 years. No one I know of is staying in the Pride longer than 4 years, and many of the music ed majors are doing their required 2 years and out. So you have people who have been playing their instruments for at MOST, 10 years.

So consider your own respective career path... How big a gap is there between your skills after 6 years on the job, and after 18 years on the job?

That's PART of what's hitting the Pride now. ;)

Wow. I'd be interested to know who broke my record...I was in for 8. I would know whoever it is. But people like me are by far the exception. When I had been in for 6 I was being called Grandpa, etc. VERY few people ever stayed more than 5; I can only think of one other besides myself.

But the point at hand is the diminishing quantity of upperclassmen.

That is the death knell of a good college band program. Just like the football team, you need the upperclassmen's leadership to get the things accomplished that need to be accomplished week in and week out. It is the upperclassmen that teach the freshmen what PRIDE means. They are the ones that put the pressure on the younger students to step up and pull their weight. It wasn't a bit unususal to hear an upperclassman yell down the line in rehearsal "get in step, dumba$$!" or in private, after rehearsal; "so, do you plan to quit fcuking up this week? Maybe sometime this semester?"

If that isn't there, you might as well just sit in the stands and play the Star Spangled Banner and the rah-rahs into microphones.

I have seen the same thing happen to the Tennessee band. When I moved here 10 years ago, the UT band was one of the finest in the country. Now they have 185 or so, and were resorting to having younger alumni come in and fill holes. The upperclassmen got sick of the directors, and jumped ship. It is now a shell of what used to be a truly great collegiate marching band. I would hate to see the same thing happen to The Pride.

My gawd, when The Pride played 'Yellow Rose of texass' for the RRS pre-game, the tubas used to ad lib 'Texas has a whorehouse in it'. We used to razz the Slow Bland of the Southwest to their faces about their faggy little singing cowboy suits! When we would load the busses to go to Dallas, there would be a little flyer containing useful information, like a bar map of Deep Ellum and the West End, and the "alternative" words to texass fight. One year all of the tubas made sure not to empty thier spit valves after the Friday night exhibition, the alumni drunk, and the Saturday morning rehearsal. Then we all ceremoniously hiked our legs and emptied them together on the S in the texass endzone, right in front of their fans. They raised 10 kinds of hell about it and threw a buch of nachos and crap at us, but we didn't care and neither did Coach. Sweet baby jeebus, Britt would have had a massive coronary on the spot.

The job of a brass member in The Pride is to peel paint, in tune. Roland used to yell at us to make his face bleed. Can't play loud enough? Go buy another mouthpiece that can double as a transmission funnel.

Maybe for the next Pride halloween show, the tubas can make bell covers resembling female anatomy. Then they can run around and hit each other with big black purses.

Maybe I'll just send Britt a case of Vagisil for Christmas.

[/rant]

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2009, 04:25 PM
I don't know any that put in the hours of practice time to just go to a bowl game. Of course, my first two years we didn't go to a bowl game, so maybe those folks were different.

But I wouldn't trade my senior year in the pride and the 2000 season experience for anything. I still can't believe that happened.

And I do like the idea of vagina bell covers.

TAFBSooner
12/1/2009, 05:20 PM
1. Add this "taming" of the band to the attempt to get the fans not to sing "home of the Sooners." Is this just David Boren's doing? Are other schools trying to "tame" their students and fans?

2. Does whoever (Brian or Dave) instigated this schiese care that they are driving the students away from the Pride and thereby killing it? Apparently no band at all is better for their ego than a band that's not under their control.

Soonerborn03
12/1/2009, 05:32 PM
Looking at the posts on here I'm going against the grain. I was in the Pride for Mr. Britt's first 4 years and I thought it was a great experience. I have nothing but good things to say about the man. Maybe it/he has changed since I've been there but I can't imagine things have changed that much. Just thought I might throw that out there just so people know that not everyone has problems with the way things are run now.For the record, I do not know of a woodwind that ever had a problem with Britt, but that's woodwinds for you.

As a trumpet, I felt the level of fun drop each year to where I felt I made a mistake to return two weeks into my junior year. I thought he was a great guy through most of my freshman year, but I started noticing situations that he handled poorly. Over the next two years I saw him micromanage away all fun that could be had in Pride. He became increasingly uptight each year. My junior year was far from fun, but at least Clint Ingram at least gave me a lovely going away present at the end of the Holiday Bowl.

badger
12/1/2009, 05:40 PM
I was friends with tons of woodwinds... but when it came to band things, they could be very, very short.

I played a brass instrument and as such, we were the ones begged to go to volunteer pep bands and Boren-issued events en masse. Sh!t gigs aplenty.

However, when it came time for the fun stuff, like a trip to Alabama, the amount of b!tchiness that arose from the woodwinds that there were so few of them attending that trip was downright irritating. Oh, and a few flags that weren't used to being left home also sent their gripes my way, heh.

So yeah, woodwinds are another story :D

Ardmore_Sooner
12/1/2009, 06:03 PM
Why doesn't someone start a massive letter and get a ton of sigs (especially from alumni)?

We can all post our dislikes and stories of old but as long as it's on here nothing will get done.

CrimsonandCreamForever
12/1/2009, 06:42 PM
For the record, I do not know of a woodwind that ever had a problem with Britt, but that's woodwinds for you.

As a trumpet, I felt the level of fun drop each year to where I felt I made a mistake to return two weeks into my junior year. I thought he was a great guy through most of my freshman year, but I started noticing situations that he handled poorly. Over the next two years I saw him micromanage away all fun that could be had in Pride. He became increasingly uptight each year. My junior year was far from fun, but at least Clint Ingram at least gave me a lovely going away present at the end of the Holiday Bowl.

I regretted my decision to return not long into my junior year also (Holiday Bowl year). After a personal run-in with Britt, I decided to take my free trip to San Diego and then GTFO.

He threatened to not let me back in the Pride the next year because of an off-campus party we hosted at my house. No one got hurt or arrested, he just didn't like us "setting a bad example" for the frosh.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
12/1/2009, 07:13 PM
Except that that's a LEAST the third time the Pride has used Prince of Thieves as a closer. Sorry, but a third go-round for the music from a movie that's 18 YEARS OLD and isn't exactly an enduring classic? (Don't believe me? When was the last time it was on TV? A decade ago? You know what AMC is showing RIGHT NOW? K-9. Not ringing a bell? It's a movie starring Jim Belushi as a cop with a dog. It was TERRIBLE. But it gets more airtime than Prince of Thieves.)

Yes, I know it was the third time they played it. I played it the first time. I'm sure you didn't know that the Pride played it because the seniors (the 70.. I mean three of them) voted and selected it as their favorite song in their four years at OU.

King Barry's Back
12/1/2009, 08:15 PM
1. Add this "taming" of the band to the attempt to get the fans not to sing "home of the Sooners." Is this just David Boren's doing? Are other schools trying to "tame" their students and fans?

I used to follow U of Maryland basketball a little bit back in the early 2000s, and the had a MAJOR campaign to make their stop yelling stuff like typical fans will yell -- like "your team sucks," etc, and to make them be more PC.

I don't remember the specific cheer, but the MD students did one cheer deemed so unsportsmanlike that the ACC actually called out MD to make/ask them to stop.

This entire PC movement is beyond me, but it certainly is there.

MichiganSooner
12/1/2009, 09:02 PM
My kids all played in band and one played at OU for 5 years. Several of these comments are discouraging to me as I expect a superior band at OU. As a parent, I would like to throw some thoughts out. First, if one is of legal age to drink, I do not have a problem with them drinking...responsibly. A beer or 2 on a band trip is OK with me; young kids (I was one once) seldom stop at 1 or 2 beers; they tend to drink for hours. One issue with the Pride is some members are of age and others are minors, in terms of the law. Freshman are led on by the seniors not just in practice but out of practice. Alcohol abuse by the older members leads to alcohol abuse by the minors. It is natural. The band is representing the university. Mr. Britt is a professor of the university. While the band members are adults, and should be treated as adults, they should also behave as adults. Showing up half drunk for practice is not behaving like most adults. Maybe it was done with Coach; I'm sure it has happened with Britt. But is that representing the university in the best way and is it fair to your bandmates? My take, it is fun and funny but not exactly responsible. If I showed up to work hungover, I would be subject to dismissal from the job. If there were an accident of some sort due to poor behavior of band member(s) what would the ramifications be for Dr. Boren and Mr. Britt? Lawsuits? Donors not donating? Board of Regents hauling people in? Either man losing their job? Taxpayers pissed at the university? Stories in the newspapers? Is it worth that? People on this board have criticized Rhett Bomar for being an underage drinker at a basketball game in OKC. Why does Rhett get blasted on this board for being an underage drinker but not members of the Pride? Does Stoops allow the team to go out and get drunk on trips to away games? Do people on this board criticize a player for doing something dumb like stealing a coat on a bowl trip and getting suspended from the game? If Coach Stoops expects the Sooners to follow university and team rules when they represent the college what is wrong with Britt setting expectations and rules to band members who are also representing the college in an official capacity? Maybe his rules are extreme; I don't know. His reaction to the texASS band alum was extreme but at the same time the alum was a lying texan in explaining how exemplary their band members are.

prrriiide
12/1/2009, 11:55 PM
First, if one is of legal age to drink, I do not have a problem with them drinking...responsibly. A beer or 2 on a band trip is OK with me; young kids (I was one once) seldom stop at 1 or 2 beers; they tend to drink for hours. One issue with the Pride is some members are of age and others are minors, in terms of the law. Freshman are led on by the seniors not just in practice but out of practice. Alcohol abuse by the older members leads to alcohol abuse by the minors. It is natural.

Then again, most college kids are GOING to drink. Law be dammned. Given that, is it not better for the younger band members to see that even though you drink, you still have responsibilities to live up to? Like showing up and pulling your weight even if you feel like you drank the entire product of Lynchburg Tennessee in one night and your tongue is in desperate need of a shave?

For all of the drinking I did on trips, I never missed a rehearsal, I always marched my show, I always played my part, and I never was drunk or drinking in uniform. Hoping young college students will learn to drink responsibly (as in being able to tie one on and still meet your obligations) on their own is a folly.

The band is representing the university. Mr. Britt is a professor of the university. While the band members are adults, and should be treated as adults, they should also behave as adults. Showing up half drunk for practice is not behaving like most adults. Maybe it was done with Coach; I'm sure it has happened with Britt. But is that representing the university in the best way and is it fair to your bandmates? My take, it is fun and funny but not exactly responsible. If I showed up to work hungover, I would be subject to dismissal from the job. If there were an accident of some sort due to poor behavior of band member(s) what would the ramifications be for Dr. Boren and Mr. Britt? Lawsuits? Donors not donating? Board of Regents hauling people in? Either man losing their job? Taxpayers pissed at the university? Stories in the newspapers? Is it worth that?

That type of thinking is the product of the diffusion of responsibility run amok in our society. If I drink and kill myself or someone else, I am to blame. Nobody else. I don't expect David Boren or Brian Britt or anyone else to take responsibility for my actions. If someone wants to sue the university for not preventing someone from drinking, that's a load of crap. At some point people have to accept the fact that their loved one got fcucked up and did something so stupid as to defy all logic or reason. It is nobody else's fault. But in our society, blame has to be assigned. And it is rarely assigned posthumously to the ones that often deserve it the most.

People on this board have criticized Rhett Bomar for being an underage drinker at a basketball game in OKC. Why does Rhett get blasted on this board for being an underage drinker but not members of the Pride? Does Stoops allow the team to go out and get drunk on trips to away games? Do people on this board criticize a player for doing something dumb like stealing a coat on a bowl trip and getting suspended from the game? If Coach Stoops expects the Sooners to follow university and team rules when they represent the college what is wrong with Britt setting expectations and rules to band members who are also representing the college in an official capacity? Maybe his rules are extreme; I don't know. His reaction to the texASS band alum was extreme but at the same time the alum was a lying texan in explaining how exemplary their band members are.

When was the last time you saw the headline in the Daily Jokelahoman:

Pride of Oklahoma Trombone Player Arrested for DUI

The difference is that, while Pride members represent the University of Oklahoma, when they are out of uniform, they are just another college student. When a football player is out of uniform, he is still a football player. The players are much higher profile students. Now, if a Pride member is causing problems in uniform, then by all means, call him or her on the carpet. But by and large, you'd never guess a Pride member walking across campus out of uniform. It's kind of hard to miss someone the size of Granger. Double standard? Probably. But them's the breaks. Higher profile = more scrutiny. Usually things that lower profile people get away with become tabloid scandals for the higher profile people. Just ask Tiger Woods...

CincySooner
12/2/2009, 09:18 AM
He threatened to not let me back in the Pride the next year because of an off-campus party we hosted at my house. No one got hurt or arrested, he just didn't like us "setting a bad example" for the frosh.

Really? I wasn't aware of that part. Good Lord... that's starting to border on Britt getting into the personal lives of his students. Does he not expect that students that work hard together might actually unwind together?

I know the party you are referring to, and I can vouch for how we (the OUDL) ran our parties. Everyone had a damn good time and everyone stayed relatively safe.

GottaHavePride
12/2/2009, 07:47 PM
Yes, I know it was the third time they played it. I played it the first time. I'm sure you didn't know that the Pride played it because the seniors (the 70.. I mean three of them) voted and selected it as their favorite song in their four years at OU.

1. OK, I didn't know that. That makes it slightly better.

2. However, the first time the Pride played it was probably when, 95 or 96? I know I marched it in 1999 and it was a repeat then. So if the seniors played it sometime in the last 4 years, that means it got played again somewhere from 05-08. So this is actually the FOURTH time they've marched that tune. Which makes it slightly worse. ;)

PhxSooner
12/3/2009, 12:26 AM
1. OK, I didn't know that. That makes it slightly better.

2. However, the first time the Pride played it was probably when, 95 or 96? I know I marched it in 1999 and it was a repeat then. So if the seniors played it sometime in the last 4 years, that means it got played again somewhere from 05-08. So this is actually the FOURTH time they've marched that tune. Which makes it slightly worse. ;)

We played it for the first time in 1991.