PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the season stats

stoopified
11/30/2009, 10:58 AM
..you would think OU would have a much better record than 3-3.We are shotting over 46% as a team,over 36 %from 3PT range and over 82 % from the line.In addition we have FOUR players averaging in double figures (Warren 20.4,Pledger 13.7,Gallon 12.3,Crocker 10.2) and another (Mason-Griffin) averaging 8.8 ppg.Our top 2 ballhandlers are ishing out assists at 6 apg(Warren) and 5apg(TMG).BIG Tiny is averaging a double -double.

That is about all the good news I could find.Although averaging 20.4 ppg Warren is only shooting 41.8% from the field and 22.2 % from 3.Warren is averaging 6apg but also 4.2 TO per game,and TMG is averaging 5 apg as well as 3.2 TOs a game.FWIW the much maligned Austin Johnson had over a 2-1 a/to ratio in each of his three years as starting point guard.Ball security is job #1 for point guards.

Rebounding is another key whereOu is coming up short.While Tiny is averaging 10.5 rpg,the next best is Crocker at 4.8.Add poor ball security,less than stellar play from your star,average rebounding(at best), to the blatant deficit on the defensive end ,maybe it is no wonder we are 3-3.

The good new is the talent is there and so is the coaching AND there is a lot of season left.I personally think the Tubbs or Sammpson method of scedhuling would have worked better for this tea.With a Billy type slate we wwould beat up on cupcakes for a month and a half,thenplay a couple of marquee teams (no more than 1 away from the LNC).By then you are somwhere between 10-2 and 12-0 and have built chemistry and confidence( sometimes without merit).The Kelvin plan includes 6 straight cupcakes at home (but all D-1) and a couple of marquee matchups mixed with mid majors.Both these approaches may have worked better with this young team IMHO.

Jeff Capel on the other hand is a big picture guy and wants his team tested by fire early and away from home.In the long run I do think that is the best way to build a tourney tough team especially if Capel wants the Sooners to be a Top 10 program over the long haul.Tougher foes bring out the competitors and attract not just good recruits but great recruits.That is the key to taking OU to the next level.

I am also glad Capel and the Sooners got the kinks out early,now all they have to do is win 8 straight to get to the 11-3 noncon mark I predicted. :D

BTW Iron Horse you are acrewed prediction wise . :)