PDA

View Full Version : Was this OSU's most bitter defeat?

Leroy Lizard
11/30/2009, 04:41 AM
Considering what was on the line and how it worked out? Discuss

MrJimBeam
11/30/2009, 05:57 AM
Maybe with what was on the line or the type of team they thought they had this year it was pretty bitter. I say '83 & '88 were more difficult loses for them considering how those games played out.

I'll say this, it never gets old watching epic Aggie fail.

Jacie
11/30/2009, 07:19 AM
For 2009, yes.

AlbqSooner
11/30/2009, 07:21 AM
For 2009, yes.

True. But you have to realize that, deep down inside, they are used to getting pwned by the Sooners.:D

stoopified
11/30/2009, 09:14 AM
I guarantee you they won't admit it but YES.The reason why is simple;they didn't just think they were going to win they KNEW it.Their fans were convinced this game would not even be close.Well they were right about that.

The reason their close losses were not as bitter?Simple ,in those games(1988 and 2006 for example)they hoped they could win but didn't really THINK they would because they were playing quality OU teams.In this one they were BCS bound and a 6-5 OU Gooner squad HUMILIATED them 27-0.This is the stuff of Poke nightmares.

1890MilesToNorman
11/30/2009, 09:51 AM
I enjoy Poke nightmares myself. :D

"That you sir, may I please have another."

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 10:03 AM
I think it's probably best to just keep it bitter and make sure they never win another game against us.

tulsaoilerfan
11/30/2009, 10:14 AM
Surely the law of averages will get them a win some day, won't it? :)

OKLA21FAN
11/30/2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe with what was on the line or the type of team they thought they had this year it was pretty bitter. I say '83 & '88 were more difficult loses for them considering how those games played out.

I'll say this, it never gets old watching epic Aggie fail.

the '83 game wins...hands down

I still remember with 10 minutes left in the 4th the comments about 'we better leave now and save a table at Joe's cause that place will be rocking tonight!' :pop:

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 10:15 AM

POST REPORTED! :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2009, 10:27 AM
I thought the 52-9 destruction was a little more bitter

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 10:40 AM
Blowouts and shutouts are way up on the list when it comes to top ten...IMO

SoonerDood
11/30/2009, 10:43 AM
We've shut them out nearly twice as many times (31) as they've beaten us (16). I'm sure they'll spin this one into "We's still the bettur teem."

StoopTroup
11/30/2009, 10:49 AM
With a little better defense they could have taken Saturday's game into OT and lost it.

Jello Biafra
11/30/2009, 10:50 AM
We've shut them out nearly twice as many times (31) as they've beaten us (16). I'm sure they'll spin this one into "We's still the bettur teem."

what do you mean "they'll spin it"??? they said it 20 seconds after the final gun...they still can't believe they lost the game to an inferior opponent.

VA Sooner
11/30/2009, 11:41 AM
Passion for the game still rules.

The team that wants it worse will win it, even if the other team has "better athletes".

Glad we have both... the better team and the deeper passion.

Time to crush a bowl opponent. Need to analyze previous Cal games to help Bob and Brent start their scheming... Bowl Prep Underway!

1890MilesToNorman
11/30/2009, 11:43 AM
Bowl Prep Underway!

I sure the hell hope so!

Leroy Lizard
11/30/2009, 03:28 PM
We've shut them out nearly twice as many times (31)

That stat can't be right.

badger
11/30/2009, 03:55 PM
I think it's harder to lose when they're at home.

That said, I think the most disappointing loss by OSU to OU that I can remember (and I am a recent OU fan) is 2004.

OSU did lose to us 52-9 in Norman the previous year and Lester did go all LET ER RIP and liked his team's resolve and called other teams suckers or whatever, but in 2004, there was hope. It was in Stillwater, the paddle beaters were beating a poor upsidedown OU flag on their blindingly orange mats... and it came down to the last season.

Worst of all for me as an OU fan stuck in Stilly was the fact that these OSU students were lining the field, getting ready to rush it should the kick go through. It was almost as bad in 2002, when it was obvious OSU was gonna win, but the students were ready to rush the field and bring down the goal posts anyways.

Anyway, kick went wide in the ultimate of chokes by the pokes. I think that definitely left the crowd all :stunned:

Crucifax Autumn
11/30/2009, 05:09 PM

Why not? They didn't score on us until the 9th game of the series. I will say 2 0-0 ties hardly count though.

Jello Biafra
11/30/2009, 05:12 PM
hes got a point LL. 28 times in all...EXcluding the two zero-zero ties....

hell we've shut em out 5 times since ive been alive.

soonerbrat
11/30/2009, 05:50 PM
I'm glad their BCS bowl dreams were busted. When they beat us in 2001 and that loss cost us going to the Rose Bowl...my coworker drew broken roses all over my dry erase board and pinned a picture of the scoreboard on my bulletin board. I don't know what happened to her, but she can kiss my @ss. That was the end of my being nice to pokes fans.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
11/30/2009, 06:21 PM
Worst of all for me as an OU fan stuck in Stilly was the fact that these OSU students were lining the field, getting ready to rush it should the kick go through. It was almost as bad in 2002, when it was obvious OSU was gonna win, but the students were ready to rush the field and bring down the goal posts anyways.

Anyway, kick went wide in the ultimate of chokes by the pokes. I think that definitely left the crowd all :stunned:

Wow, they were going to rush the field for a field goal that would've only sent it into OT? Dumb aggies.

Oldnslo
11/30/2009, 06:34 PM
As I've been reading about our record against the Orange Plower (and as far as I know, that's an original epithet), I wondered about another "rivalry," the Globetrotters v. the Generals. Unfortunately, we've got our work cut out for us on winning percentage. Here's what Google provided:

Harlem Globetrotters
Harlem Globe Trotters
Savoy Big Five- 1927
South Side's American Legion Giles Post (#87)- 1928
Years Wins - Losses Pct.
1927-1930 460 - 44 .913
1931-1940 1,482 - 112 .917
1941-1950 1,548 - 109 .934
1951-1960 3,300 - 58 .983
1961-1970 5,051 - 7 .998
1971-1980 4,426 - 1 .999
1981-1990 3,113 - 0 1.000
1991-2000 1,203 - 2 .998
2000-11/11/03 644 - 9 .986

Of course, the Generals are SUPPOSED to lose. Orange Plower merely is Expected to lose.

OU86
11/30/2009, 09:49 PM
They were sure they were going to win in 83. I know this because a big mess of them told me so before the game. The fact that the onside kick bounced off the aggy player's helmet makes that one the best, even though there wasn't anything else on the line.

Piware
12/1/2009, 12:50 AM
This is the best one in recent memory. There have been lots of times the Sooners have worked them over but they always spun it as they lost to those cheatin' gooners and them old Gaylords.

When DeMarco's first touchdown was reviewed I thought to myself "Here we go - they will scream like little piggies. It has been great fun to tell my Poke neighbor they can have that one and still be down by 20.

This time the stats speak for themselves and Gumby finds himself as the scapegoat. 109 yards of offense won't get you to the local bus stop. They won't get over this for weeks, perhaps months.:P

Leroy Lizard
12/1/2009, 01:18 AM
They were sure they were going to win in 83.

But was riding on the outcome. They had a losing season the year before and were just coming off a loss to Nebraska. THey had barely beaten N. Texas and Tulsa. Maybe they had dreams of a decent bowl game but it wasn't like they were shooting for a major bowl at that time. And at least they played pretty well. (They would go on to lose to KSU and Missouri, though.)

I just don't see how 1983 compares to this year, given that OSU was playing for a BCS bowl and ended up getting humiliated.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2009, 02:00 AM

You'd think so, but not in our case.

Octavian
12/1/2009, 03:05 AM
I dunno about most....that's saying a lot. but it's probably up there -- at least against us

a couple of other non-OU games in recent memory that stick out...

in Stillwater, that Colorado fake-FG for a TD as time expired (when the Buffs only need 3 points to win) has to be up there -- it was the highlight of the 0-10-1 campaign of '91. it really boggled the mind that 1.) CU would actually attempt that and 2.) it would actually work

the '98 loss to defending champ Nebraska in Arrowhead was brutal -- they had that game won several times too but messed up at the goal line late in the 4th

several of their games this decade where they surrendered seemingly insurmountable leads to Texas -- Was it 4 times? 5? they all run together now....

there's a lot really...

gotta say this for the core of OSU's fanbase -- they're a loyal and faithful bunch to put up with all that and keep showing up....

Leroy Lizard
12/1/2009, 03:31 AM
Wasn't there a game where OSU was ahead late in the game with the opponent driving, and the opposing QB throws an INT and instead of laying down on the ball the OSU DB tries to return it and fumbles, giving the opposing team a chance to kick the winning FG?

Octavian
12/1/2009, 03:39 AM
not for certain, but I'm sure at some point that probably happened :D

OUTrumpet
12/1/2009, 06:48 AM
several of their games this decade where they surrendered seemingly insurmountable leads to Texas -- Was it 4 times? 5? they all run together now....

At Halloween there was a story about this on ESPN. It had a small picture with the classic Peanuts cartoon strip with Gundy being Charlie Brown and Mack Brown being Lucy holding a football, begging Charlie Brown to kick it.

King Barry's Back
12/1/2009, 07:07 AM
The question was not which OSU win was best for us, or worst for them. It was is this year's loss by OSU the most bitter -- for them. I'm going to say yes, and here's why.

OSU has for decades been a second- or third-tier football program. In fact, until the 80s, they were a third- or fourth-tier program. Throughout all those long years of football, nobody in Stillwater dreamed much of moving above the nether-regions of college football, and they never much expected to beat OU, unless OU happened to have a bad team -- like in the 90s.

Fast forward to the 2000s. One man, One mighty aggie, has the dream. The dream of Big XII and maybe even crystal footballs coming home to Stilly.

That man plows his personal wealth, reputation and influence into the Ok State football program, and after years of investment, finally -- the time is now. After decades of "next year," finally THE season, was this season.

Senior celebrated QB, all-american receiver, all-conference tailback, lots of senior talent and leadership, new Def Coordinator. While there's no big trophy riding on this year's bedlam game, a trip to the Fiesta Bowl -- the BC-freaking-S -- IS on the table as a testament to the new Oklahoma State Cowboys. The Cowboys that will be respected, and who will contend for the South Division.

And low and behold, OU's team comes in losing five games. Can you imagine the joy that must have warmed the brow of every true-orange-to-the-bone aggie fan last Friday night? To go to bed, knowing that to get to the BCS promised land, all they have to do is defeat a mediocre Sooner squad? How lucky to have everything ride on Bedlam this year, and have the Sooners be in a serious slump?

And now, nothing. Shut out. Beaten up. Shown up. Proven to still be a second-tier college football team. Despite T Boone's promises, and blood sweat and dollars, these poker fans -- who have never dared dream they might be a truly first rank football power -- were finally won-over by the T Boone dream.

Now it's all in shatters.

You are telling me that this isn't a damned bitter pill to swallow?

They are going to have to wait three-years to rebuild another contender.

It's over for them, and it hurts to swallow that medicine.

And, again, it's great to be a Sooner.

sooner518
12/1/2009, 09:16 AM

http://soonerstats.com/football/series/details.cfm?oppid=23

I count 27 times we've won and shut OSU out. I counted 3 games that were 0-0 ties.

I probably miscounted one or two in there somewhere. too lazy to go re-check

MeMyself&Me
12/1/2009, 10:29 AM
With a little better defense they could have taken Saturday's game into OT and lost it.

Actually, they'd still have lost 7-0 without OT. :cool:

stoopified
12/1/2009, 11:25 AM
The question was not which OSU win was best for us, or worst for them. It was is this year's loss by OSU the most bitter -- for them. I'm going to say yes, and here's why.

OSU has for decades been a second- or third-tier football program. In fact, until the 80s, they were a third- or fourth-tier program. Throughout all those long years of football, nobody in Stillwater dreamed much of moving above the nether-regions of college football, and they never much expected to beat OU, unless OU happened to have a bad team -- like in the 90s.

Fast forward to the 2000s. One man, One mighty aggie, has the dream. The dream of Big XII and maybe even crystal footballs coming home to Stilly.

That man plows his personal wealth, reputation and influence into the Ok State football program, and after years of investment, finally -- the time is now. After decades of "next year," finally THE season, was this season.

Senior celebrated QB, all-american receiver, all-conference tailback, lots of senior talent and leadership, new Def Coordinator. While there's no big trophy riding on this year's OU-OSU game, a trip to the Fiesta Bowl -- the BC-freaking-S -- IS on the table as a testament to the new Oklahoma State Cowboys. The Cowboys that will be respected, and who will contend for the South Division.

And low and behold, OU's team comes in losing five games. Can you imagine the joy that must have warmed the brow of every true-orange-to-the-bone aggie fan last Friday night? To go to bed, knowing that to get to the BCS promised land, all they have to do is defeat a mediocre Sooner squad? How lucky to have everything ride on OU-OSU this year, and have the Sooners be in a serious slump?

And now, nothing. Shut out. Beaten up. Shown up. Proven to still be a second-tier college football team. Despite T Boone's promises, and blood sweat and dollars, these poker fans -- who have never dared dream they might be a truly first rank football power -- were finally won-over by the T Boone dream.

Now it's all in shatters.

You are telling me that this isn't a damned bitter pill to swallow?

They are going to have to wait three-years to rebuild another contender.

It's over for them, and it hurts to swallow that medicine.

And, again, it's great to be a Sooner.Exactly the point of my original post only more eloquently stated.