PDA

View Full Version : Our team needs some ballet added to their workout routines

MamaMia
11/29/2009, 03:52 PM
Here me out...I know its sounds all silly and sissy to some of you mojo guys but its not; not at all. It's been done before by both college and pro football teams. As a former assistant ballet instructor I can attest to the fact that it really does work! I can promise you that those players would be using muscles they didn't even know they had. The team members need the agility and flexibility that ballet offers.

Hey...its at least worth a try! What would it hurt?

delhalew
11/29/2009, 04:10 PM
If it reduces injuries...you can make were a tutu while they practice.

Harris County Sooner
11/29/2009, 05:07 PM
When I was a kid we heard that Bud has his backs in ballet. Don't know the truth in that though.

TXBOOMER
11/29/2009, 06:06 PM
Lots of science in the stretching and warm-ups routines major colleges (even high schools) use now. I do remember Herschel Walker doing ballet. I think all women should be required to do ballet. Flexibility serves them well throughout life. :)

sooneron
11/29/2009, 06:22 PM
Lynn Swann swore by it.

Just tell Bob to give my mom a call.

GottaHavePride
11/29/2009, 06:23 PM
It wouldn't hurt a thing. Tai chi would be another good one. Problem is that all that takes away from their time spent practicing football...

AlbqSooner
11/29/2009, 07:23 PM
It wouldn't hurt a thing. Tai chi would be another good one. Problem is that all that takes away from their time spent practicing football...

Enroll them in a ballet class and it would be "easy" credit plus not count as practice time.

I saw a documentary several years ago where this New York ballet dancer was trying to get inner city kids interested in ballet. No luck in that endeavor - UNTIL. He started going to the playgrounds and leaping to amazing heights while doing pirouettes, even though he was only like 5'6". Once he had their attention, he would proselytize his ballet program.

thesnowbishop
11/29/2009, 07:42 PM
Here me out...I know its sounds all silly and sissy to some of you mojo guys but its not; not at all. It's been done before by both college and pro football teams. As a former assistant ballet instructor I can attest to the fact that it really does work! I can promise you that those players would be using muscles they didn't even know they had. The team members need the agility and flexibility that ballet offers.

Hey...its at least worth a try! What would it hurt?

I would agree that ballet, martial arts, yoga, etc. are key to flexibility and balance and even core power, but I also HEAR that little things (like snap count, formation alignment, and distinguishing homophones) add up in the long run.

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2009, 08:22 PM
As a former assistant ballet instructor I can attest to the fact that it really does work!

Sorry, but if I was rooting for the San Francisco 49ers I could see it. But not my Sooners.

olevetonahill
11/29/2009, 08:30 PM
Our Football Players belong in TuTus about as much as much as wimmens belong being sports reporters :eek: :pop:

Fraggle145
12/2/2009, 12:10 AM
Enroll them in a ballet class and it would be "easy" credit plus not count as practice time.

I saw a documentary several years ago where this New York ballet dancer was trying to get inner city kids interested in ballet. No luck in that endeavor - UNTIL. He started going to the playgrounds and leaping to amazing heights while doing pirouettes, even though he was only like 5'6". Once he had their attention, he would proselytize his ballet program.

It sure would help our graduation rates... :O

Leroy Lizard
12/2/2009, 04:04 AM
Not only do we NOT need our players performing ballet, but we should also get them to quit holding hands when walking out on the field to toss the coin. Ugh!

goingoneight
12/2/2009, 03:54 PM
Multiple sports and/or activities can do amazing things for you. Often it's been said that great wrestlers make great D-Linemen, great track athletes have all kinds of places at RB, KOR, PR, WR, S and CB.

Look at what Sam's hand-eye coordination for basketball, hockey and golf did for him. He was barely considered to be a guy worth offering according to all the know-it-alls of recruiting, and he's an incredible college QB.

Having said that, surely there's something better than ballet to use. :D

OUMallen
12/2/2009, 04:09 PM
What is this, a Disney movie? Will the wise-cracking kid from the street and the straight-laced rich kid finally see eye to eye and work together for a last-second win after a training montage?

goingoneight
12/2/2009, 04:13 PM
Sam should just sign 'em all up for golf, hockey and basketball.

Then AD and Schmiddy can school 'em in the off-season how to get all big and strong. :D

fadada1
12/2/2009, 04:19 PM
Lynn Swann swore by it.

yeah, but he did it because he was able to wear tights. tights = not a big hit with the fellas.

fadada1
12/2/2009, 04:20 PM
adding to the discussion - put 'em in the pool. you want to see some "macho" men in pain. they'd hurt for a week.

KantoSooner
12/2/2009, 04:42 PM
Get Jesse Takamiyama to fly in from Hawaii to run the linemen through sumo drills. Those guys can't run, but their first three or four steps are pretty impressive.
That deal where they spend a couple of hours shoulder thrust/slapping a telephone pole might yield interesting results, as well.

soonerloyal
12/3/2009, 10:11 AM
I agree, Mama. It would do them a world of good. The strength, coordination and control they'd augment by using some of the moves and techniques are well-documented. Worked for Herschel Walker too, as well as Swannie.

Wouldn't hurt for them to learn soccer, either. Our kickers who are soccer players have pretty much been the best.

sooneron
12/3/2009, 10:21 AM

You obviously know nothing of the ballet program at OU.

MamaMia
12/3/2009, 10:25 AM
I took ballet for many years. I had two brothers who were very athletic. One played college baseball for OU and another was a center for UCLA. Just like most Italian siblings, we had our fair share of brother/sister altercations however I never once ended up with anything more than a tiny bruise. :P

Seriously though, I have been very active, even pulling some crazy stunts yet I've never had a broken bone still to this day; not even a pinky finger. My parents said that my last words in life were going to be "Hey guys...check this out!" :D

sooneron
12/3/2009, 10:45 AM
So you're saying you're a redneck...

MamaMia
12/3/2009, 10:53 AM
So you're saying you're a redneck... Hell no! Not even close. We're just a typical Italian Catholic family. :O

The sibling rough housing stopped once we were old enough to date each others friends. :D

sooneron
12/3/2009, 11:10 AM
I thought that was the famous last line out of any redneck's mouth -"Hey, watch this..."

OKC Sooner
12/3/2009, 11:44 AM
I thought that was the famous last line out of any redneck's mouth -"Hey, watch this..."

I heard it was "Hold my beer and watch this..." but maybe that's just a regional variation. :P

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 11:44 AM
My parents said that my last words in life were going to be "Hey guys...check this out!"

This is a family-oriented board, right?

MamaMia
12/3/2009, 05:30 PM
I heard it was "Hold my beer and watch this..." but maybe that's just a regional variation. :P Yeah. I would say... hold my stem of 2000 Barbera d' Asti please, and watch this! :D

GottaHavePride
12/3/2009, 05:34 PM
You obviously know nothing of the ballet program at OU.

Yeah, we have one of the best dance schools in the country. It's not where you go for an easy pass.

GKeeper316
12/3/2009, 07:15 PM
anyone ever heard of a dude named herschel walker?

dude never touched a weight in his life. his entire workout consisted of pyramid reps of pushups and situps, sprints, and ballet for coordination and balance.

another thing a football player could benefit from is gymnastics. that sport will teach you to use muscle groups not generally used or worked in football, while increasing overall strength and balance.

i asked a gymnast back when i was still in school in norman how he would stack up in a head to head athleticism comparison to a running back or wide receiver. his answer was actually very honest. he said the ability to accelerate and decelerate and sprint speed was easily won by the football player, but overall conditioning, strength and balance wouldnt even be close.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 07:29 PM
dude never touched a weight in his life. his entire workout consisted of pyramid reps of pushups and situps, sprints, and ballet for coordination and balance.

Well... pushups and situps are okay. And sprints, they're good.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2009, 09:53 PM
I asked Mo Daimpeer, and he said ballet is for sissies.

GottaHavePride
12/3/2009, 11:16 PM
The Ballets Trockadero of Monte Carlo...

PBYFREnH32g

Yeah, they're all dudes. And when they're not going for comedy they're actually better than most female dancers...

StoopTroup
12/3/2009, 11:28 PM
Weren't those white road unis comparable to tutus?

sooneron
12/3/2009, 11:32 PM
The Ballets Trockadero of Monte Carlo...

PBYFREnH32g

Yeah, they're all dudes. And when they're not going for comedy they're actually better than most female dancers...

The thought of what standing on pointe does to a small woman's feet makes me cringe, let alone what it would do to a dude. OUCH.

Petro-Sooner
12/4/2009, 12:02 AM
Yeah, we have one of the best dance schools in the country. It's not where you go for an easy pass.

I didnt know this! Interesting.